Exclusive

So You Think You Can Dance Premiere Video: Season 14 Hip-Hopper Wows Judges, But Will He Make the Cut?

We haven’t seen So You Think You Can Dance‘s Season 14 premiere yet, so we’re not blowing smoke when we say we don’t know whether or not Robert Green — the rather talented prospective contestant featured in this exclusive video — makes it to the Fox reality series’ second round.

But… c’mon.

In Monday’s season opener (Fox, 8/7c), Green turns in a hard-hitting, crowd-pleasing hip-hop audition that causes the audience, not to mention judges Mary Murphy and Vanessa Hudgens, to leap to their feet. Any other SYTYCD die-hards get a Twitch vibe from the newbie, whose musicality and ability to entertain are on point in the clip?

Though Season 13 focused on child dancers, the upcoming “back to basics” season of the dance competition will return to pitting 18- to 30-year-old dancers of various styles against each other in hopes of becoming “America’s favorite dancer.” Murphy, who was replaced by Paula Abdul in Season 13, will return as a permanent resident of the judges’ table; Hudgens recently was made a season-long judge, as well.

Anyway, howzabout a little poll? Watch the video above, then cast your vote below: Do you think Green will get his golden ticket?

1. Mike says:

Taking the show back to the regular format, Mary returning, Jason Derulo no longer a judge…I couldn’t ask for more. I’m back!

2. TV Is My Pacifier says:

Love love love how this season is shaping up already!

3. DebG says:

You don’t have all the options in your poll. My prediction is that they’ll send him on to the choreography round and then give him a ticket.

4. Lola says:

I’m glad the show is going back to its roots but the only thing missing from that is the smaller more intimate stage. I hate that huge stage. It’s only good for the large group routines otherwise it’s swallows the contestants when they’re dancing in pairs.

5. Jason Paul says:

Definitely feels like summer with SYTYCD back!

6. christopher bee says:

That Guy is looking good. Please bring back Sonya Tayeh.

7. Robertino says:

I don’t know; it’s not a style I have a keen eye for, nor one I particularly care much for, prompting me to say how much I wish this show’s ratings were high enough to support to two separate competitions on consecutive nights; one devoted to Classical, Contemporary, Jazz + Latin and Traditional Ballroom, as well other disciplines requiring a good degree of previous training and the other; for focusing on the many forms of Free Style and Street Dancing. I’ve grown so tired of the emphasis grow increasingly more about the novelty of watching Street Dancers attempt Contemporary and vise versa. It disminishes all of the Dancers’ true abilities by taking time away from otherwise watching them perform at what they’re truly gifted at, regardless of whatever measure of success we’ve seen here and there. It has really taken away from what this show originally offered, despite it always being a presence, though one used judiciously., and again NOT the focus. Back away from it already… and get serious again!

8. Sandra Pereira says: