Sackett Sisters Cancelled

Casey Wilson-Busy Philipps Pilot Sackett Sisters Officially Dead at NBC

NBC has formally sacked The Sackett Sisters.

A Peacock rep confirms that the network has decided not to proceed with the Tina Fey-produced comedy pilot, which would’ve teamed sitcom MVPs Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) and Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) as polar opposite siblings.

Sackett Sisters did not make NBC’s 2017-18 schedule when it was announced in mid-May, but network president Robert Greenblatt said at the time that the comedy remained in consideration. That is no longer the case.

The single-camera project — penned by Fey’s onetime 30 Rock charge Luke Del Tredici — centered on two estranged sisters, Wilson’s Sutton and Philipps’ Mandy, who perform an act of public heroism and are forced to navigate the aftermath together. While Mandy is a living embodiment of the Sackett Family legacy of failure (i.e. she’s a train-wreck), Sutton goes out of her way to avoid it.

Philipps all but confirmed Sackett‘s demise Wednesday on social media, posting a picture of her and Wilson alongside the hashtag #NeverGoingtoSackett.

1. Van says:

Nbc screws up again

• kort says:

why? it must be really, really bad if they didn’t even give it a chance.

• rinaex says:

Yes, as has been proven time and time again, having good talent doesn’t always make a project come together the right way.

• Patrick says:

Or, even a good pilot may not work as a series. We’ve seen some good ideas, or good seasons even, not be sustainable.

• Laura says:

Busy was brielfy on Wilson’s podcast and said it tested well and that the network was happy about it, but that right before upfronts the network backed away and wouldn’t give an answer about it. It’s a shame – I was also excited that Bradley Whitford was in it.

• dude says:

Not always the case. Dead Pilot Society proves that some of the best pilots, don’t even get greenlit. Decisions about whether to move forward with a series have just as much to do with politics/creative direction of the network as it does with the quality of the pilot.

2. Trent Blinkylight says:

But what about Netflix?

3. Kenbud says:

Come on Netflix…

4. Regina says:

Ugh so disappointed. This is the one I most wanted to see. Didn’t NBC learn their lesson with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? Can Netflix save this one too?

• Cheryl says:

Yes! So disappointed! I was looking forward to seeing those 2 funny women working together. I didn’t know NBC passed on Kimmy, though I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. The mainstream networks too often fail to recognize how a fun and quirky sitcom can attract viewers. And NBC could stand to lighten up a little. They have too many procedural dramas, some of which I do watch, but still, too many.

5. Booooo NBC! Booooo says:

Damnit, that was the only one I thought sounded good this pilot season. How do you pass on a comedy with that cast and with that creative team (Fey/Carlock, and written by a Brooklyn Nine-Nine writer/producer) behind it? Network TV is crap anyway, where pretty much everything good is cancelled, take it to the streaming services next time!

6. Phillip says:

Netflix!!!

7. grazelled says:

This is was really the only new comedy that I thought looked good. Really like the leads and that I read about the creative/production teams I can’t figure out what’s going on at NBC.

8. T.W.S.S. says:

Is there a place (back alley channels included) to see unproduced pilots. I’d like to see this, the original “Powerless” pilot, and “Marvel’s Most Wanted.”

9. Haz says:

Is this really a surprise? To a certain point they should be thankful, last year NBC extended the contracts for the Cruel Intentions cast until December and then passed. Honestly I wish networks could find a way to use Amazons approach on determining which pilots go to series.

10. Max Broom says:

I want someone in the Happy Endings cast finds a successful project someday. Actually I just want them to revive Happy Endings, damnit Hulu do it already!

• Hannah says:

Right? It’s like the universe is begging them to bring that show back with the way all of their follow ups keep getting axed. Bring back Happy Endings!!

11. Summer says:

This makes me sad. I was looking forward to this. Love Tina Fey, and I think that Philips and Wilson would have had some fantastic on-screen chemistry as sisters.

12. Anne says:

Oh that’s a shame. I was really looking forward to them being together on tv

13. J. Norman says:

For them (NBC) to turn down a Tina Fey led project featuring a TV comedy favorite like Casey Wilson, then it must really have been bad and with no horizon of improvement.

14. Lyndy says:

I think the days of Netflix saving shows are gone…if they are getting rid of some of their own content, I doubt they would be interested in picking up network rejects.

15. joeyfromsc says:

I was at a focus group where I watched this on a TV monitor and I really enjoyed it. The good stuff never makes it lol

16. JJ. says:

first lauren graham’s show and now this? Bummed that the two shows I was most excited for didn’t make it to air

17. chadcronin says:

NBC always passes on the shows I was gonna watch. Still sad about Cruel Intentions

18. Millhouse says:

Damn I was really looking forward to this. Love Busy and Casey so much. Hopefully they find something better.