Emmys
Emmys 2017 Comedy Series

Emmys 2017: Outstanding Comedy Series — Our 7 Dream Nominees

Will Veep threepeat? HBO’s political satire has won Emmy’s top comedy prize two years in a row, but Selina Meyer is poised to face some stiff competition from a pair of critical darlings (Donald Glover’s rookie dramedy Atlanta and Aziz Ansari’s better-than-ever Master of None).

There’s also an outside chance Veep‘s biggest threat could come from inside its own (HBO) house; Girls‘ exceptionally strong final season could propel Lena Dunham & Co. back into the race after a years-long absence.

In a perfect world, the actual nominations would mirror our seven Dream Emmy picks, all of which can be viewed via the gallery to the right (or click here for direct access).

For the record, 2017 Emmy nominations will be voted on from June 12-26, and unveiled on July 13. The 69th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Stephen Colbert, airs Sunday, Sept. 17 on CBS.

1. Is says:

I would really add Crazy Ex-Girlfriend to the list, and certainly instead of The Good Place in my honest opinion

• Shaun says:

bahahaha,only the songs are funny,the story is junk.

• Adam says:

I’d keep The Good Place, but swap out Difficult People for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.
      I do love Difficult People, but it’s still just hitting its stride and not quite the same caliber to me yet.

2. Simon says:

The Good Place was probably the most original network comedy series in ages, it definitely deserves a nomination. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Trial and Error score one too. But Atlanta FTW!!!

• Larc says:

The Good Place must have improved at least 1000%. Maybe I should check it out again. I saw the first episode and thought it was a real stinker, so didn’t bother with it after that.

3. Spence says:

The Good Place was truly incredible and so deserving of Emmy love!

4. Joey Padron says:

I’m sure Atlanta and Master of None will get nominated. I hope The Good Place will get a nomination.

5. Hannah says:

Hardcore agree about The Good Place, Insecure, Difficult People, Atlanta, and Master of None (I’m still crying over the Thanksgiving episode). Great picks.

6. webly3 says:

The possibilities for this year’s comedy series are just amazing. There are so many deserving comedies. The nominations I decided were Atlanta, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Fleabag, Girls, Master of None, Transparent, and Veep. The only show’s exclusion that I disagree with is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (which easily could take Difficult People’s spot). The second season was a step up in quality from the first, and there was never a complete misstep. The show not only has to juggle the regular constraints from network TV, but it’s consistently making great songs. I’m surprised it didn’t make the list.

7. fernando933 says:

Jane The Virgin
    Superstore
    Blackish
    American Housewives

Are my picks

8. Chris says:

Atlanta deserves every award it can win that show was damn near perfect.

9. emmy says:

Isn’t Atlanta ineligible this year? I may be mis-remembering, but I thought Donald Glover won for it last year and it hasn’t had a second season yet.

10. Jules says:

YAY! Superstore made the list. I love that show!

11. GeoDiva says:

The Good Place was funny and original!

12. Chris says:

What is the obsession with galleries? Why can’t the article or information be put on one page? I know a lot of websites are obsessed with galleries and I don’t know why. Is there a financial reason?

• Adam says:

My understanding is that when you click through a gallery, it basically gets processed as a clickthrough or engagement rate with each click which helps for monetizing ads. I don’t love them but at least TVLine’s gallery format is easy enough and doesn’t place ads in between slides.

13. matty says:

My Dream Nominees:

Veep, HBO
    Mom, CBS
    Girls, HBO
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Netflix
    Black-Ish, ABC
    Modern Family, ABC

14. Josh says:

Schitt’s Creek for sure needs to be on the list

15. ToyCannon says:

I wish FX would either re-air Atlanta or make it available for streaming or onDemand before the Emmys.

16. Ram510 says:

How can you have Superstore and Good Place (Girls is super suspect too) and not Blackish and Fresh Off the Boat? Blackish eapesically had a stellar season 3.