Emmys
Emmy Supporting Actor Drama

Emmys 2017: Supporting Actor in a Drama — Our 6 Dream Nominees

John Lithgow is a shoo-in to score an Emmy nod for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his sublime work on Netflix’s The Crown, and the odds are good that he will actually win. But the five other slots are pretty much up for grabs, particularly with three of last year’s contenders (Game of Thrones‘ Kit Harrington and Peter Dinklage, and Bloodline‘s Ben Mendelsohn) out of the running.

TVLine’s Dream Emmy nominations to the rescue! We have very strong ideas about which thespians should occupy those five vacancies, so if you’re an Academy member — or just an invested bystander like us — we strongly urge you to consult our Supporting Actor (Drama) recommendations.

For the record, 2017 Emmy nominations will be voted on from June 12-26, and unveiled on July 13. The 69th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Stephen Colbert, airs Sunday, Sept. 17 on CBS.

Check out the gallery to the right to see our choices — or click here for direct access — then weigh in with your own choices below.

1. Kevin Tran says:

Jeffrey Wright should get Emmy nominated. What about considerations for Homeland’s F. Murray Abraham and/or Mandy Patinkin?

2. MrScreenAddict says:

As thrilled as I am to see The Leftovers getting so much love in these Dream Nominations, if there’s only room for one actor from that show in this category, it should absolutely go to Christopher Eccleston. While Scott Glenn undoubtedly did great work this season, Eccleston has been doing great work on the show for three years and deserves to be recognized before it’s over. (Ideally, *both* men would get nominations, but I’ll try not to get too greedy.)

• Exactly what I was gonna type! Christopher Eccleston!
      You know, if The Leftovers gets snubbed again, I will be so angry. Like I know that it’s one of the greatest shows of all time, whether it wins awards or not, but I would still be sad to see it fade away with zero acknowledgement.

• kirads09 says:

100% agree and seconded.

3. Angel says:

Where is Sterling K Brown for This is us?! Sure the dad was good but Brown nailed anxiety and what it feels like to suffer from an attack during the episode Kevin left his Broadway debut to check on his brother. Brown makes me tear up at least once every damn episode! He needs more Emmy love!

• Brian says:

He’s in their lead actor dream nominees, which is where he has been submitted.

I continually have not understood why Banks has been nominated over McKean. I’m hoping McKean does get nominated this year.

• nhogan47 says:

I agree that McKean should’ve been nominated before, but I also understand why Banks was nominated, particularly for his performance in Season 1’s “Five-O”

4. KayCeeCee says:

Ron Cephas Jones

5. nhogan47 says:

Clayne Crawford, Ron Cephas Jones, and Michael McKean. All incredible choices that I would be thrilled to see get nominated and win. Three incredible performances.

6. Shaun says:

Give us some Eccleston!Sorry Scott Glenn,lol.

7. dan says:

Norbert Leo Butz can take Ben Mendleson’s slot for Bloodline (and Ben can be nominated for best guest actor since he was only in two episodes). And has John Lithgow ever lost an Emmy when he’s been nominated? He must have a shelf full of them for overacting on Third Rock from The Sun. I like the guy, but gee the Academy seems to love him (kind of like Maggie Smith on the women’s side).

• MrScreenAddict says:

A quick google search reveals that John Lithgow has been nominated for 11 Emmys and won five. So yes, he’s lost an Emmy before — more than half of the times he’s been nominated, in fact. (And only three of those five wins were for 3rd Rock; most recently, he won for his role on Season 4 of Dexter, which most people agree was very deserving.)

8. LT says:

Based on this list…John Lithgow hands down!

9. Ron says:

Sadly, it’ll be a cold day in hell before the Emmys nominate anything or anyone from Rectify. I’ve been advocating for that series since day one. But it’s like the Emmys have massive blinders on when it comes to that show (and many others, of course). In my opinion, Rectify has churned out amazing performances and phenomenal storytelling since season one. But despite its brilliance, I’ve always contended that if the academy ever even gave it the time of day to screen in the first place, they likely considered the performances and show as a whole as too “subtle” for them.

10. TvPeong says:

Ron Cephas Jones in This is Us is amazing!

11. LAwoman says:

Definitely on board with Wright, Jones and McKean.

12. Rob TO says:

John Lithgow should be very beatable by Michael McKean. The emmy winners are usually chosen based on an actor’s performance in the episode that was submitted to the voters. I don’t think anyone was as good as Michael McKean in Chicanery. He was brilliant and based on that performance he deserves to win!

• webly3 says:

If Emmy voters watched the episodes, Michael McKean would clearly win. His performance in Chicanery was amazing.

13. RichieS says:

Norbert Butz will hopefully be considered. On a show full of wonderful performances this guy brings it every episode and is a character you love to hate… or is it hate to love?

14. webly3 says:

My personal choices are Clayne Crawford, Christopher Eccleston, Scott Glenn, Ron Cephas Jones, Michael McKean, and Jeffrey Wright. It’s always crazy to see how close my dream noms are to TVLine’s. The only reason that I don’t have John Lithgow down is because I have only finished 2 episodes of the crown. Otherwise, I’d likely take him out for Scott Glenn. Scott Glenn did an amazing job on The Leftovers, but Christopher Eccleston yet again gave a stunning performance, so I was a bit surprised to see Scott Glenn’s inclusion instead. Either way, good picks.

15. N says:

Scott Glen

16. Asia Kate Dillon for Billions

• They submitted under Best supporting Actor category because the word actor can be gender neutral and they definitely deserve at least a nomination based purely on their performance.

17. kirads09 says:

Hard list to top.
    Only thing I would add would be Christopher Eccleston for The Leftovers.