Misfits Remake Freeform

Misfits Remake From iZombie EP Lands Pilot Order at Freeform, Casts Leads

Freeform is betting on some Misfits for its next potential series.

The network has given a pilot order to an adaptation of the British cult fave superhero drama, from writer/producer Diane Ruggiero-Wright (iZombie, Veronica Mars), our sister site Deadline reports.

The project centers on a group of young offenders in a community-service program who develop supernatural powers after being hit by a mysterious electrical storm. The cast includes Ashleigh Lathrop (Sirens) as Alicia, a spoiled, vapid, middle-class party girl; Tre Hall (ABC’s upcoming Ten Days in the Valley) as Curtis, a talented and cocky football player with a promising career ahead of him; Jake Cannavale (Nurse Jackie) as Nathan, a con artist with a heavily inflated sense of his own attractiveness, intelligence and potential; and Allie MacDonald (Orphan Black) as Kelly, who is street-smart with a hair-trigger temper.

Ruggiero-Wright will serve as showrunner, should the remake go to series, with Fake Empire’s Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage executive-producing alongside the original show’s creator Howard Overman.

The UK Misfits ran for five seasons on the E4 digital channel from 2009 to 2013.

1. Lindsey says:

Interesting that Simon doesn’t seem to be included, considering what a huge role he played in the series. I guess that would suggest they don’t plan on following much of the original series storyline.

• johnhelvete says:

Deadline article mentions that only four of the five leads have been cast, though the article does not mention the details about the fifth character.

2. Lostie48 says:

So no Simon then…

• Joe says:

Simon probably will be a character, but he just hasn’t been cast yet. We will probably hear something about his casting in the next couple of weeks.

• Joe says:

Simon will probably be a character, but he just hasn’t been cast yet. He will probably be cast within the next couple of weeks.

3. El S Boy says:

Non… Just No !

4. Emily says:

Remakes don’t often have success. But Josh Schwartz is involved, so i’m optimistic. But Simon better be in this. He’s so important in the story.

• pau says:

Forget Josh Schwartz..Diane Ruggiero is the important and confident part !

• Teresa says:

sorry i’m not very familiar with her. but she’s worked on some of my favorite shows. so that’s great! :) i just love josh schwartz bc of the oc and chuck!!

5. Lyndy says:

Nope!…The Inbetweeners was beyond horrible! This won’t work either

6. Sam says:

Ehhhhhhh I’m pessimistic about this. It could potentially be okay but the original was so great, well the first two seasons were.

7. Cindy C. says:

Why bother when you can watch the original, and always better UK version on Hulu? I loved the first 3 seasons, but when the cast pictured above came along I didn’t make it 2 episodes. The original characters and story are amazing, but I have no want or need to watch a remake.

8. Lucy says:

If it’s on Freeform this has to have a different tone and feel to the original, no point copying and pasting or copying the first episode and deviating. The original could get away with the swearing, violence, sex and nudity on a mainstream channel. US tv can not. The Skins remake on MTV had to be bleeped every 5 minutes which breaks the flow of the show.

I have a feeling that the humour will be different since in the past British to American humour falls flat when translating it, likely it will lean on the dramatic side I think.

I will give it a go, I’m a lifetime fan of the Original but the only way I see this working is if it’s completely different and completely deviates from The Original but at the same time keeps it simple. I don’t want there to be an explanation for the storm giving them powers or a big conspiracy theory. In the original Misfits know one cared about why it happened.

9. peterwdawson says:

Can’t decide if being on Freeform is good or bad. The original was pretty dark, don’t see how the network could capture that fully. Then again maybe this means they’ll be less likely to try and rip the original, giving it a unique identity.

10. Shaun says:

This should be on Syfy not Freeform.Are they gonna be American?If so that changes quite a bit.

11. Josh says:

One big issue…the characters were weirdos on the show. These sound like pretty people with problems

12. pau says:

What about iZombie Diane ?? But i freaking loved the Misfits…i am always cold about US versions of great UK tv shows..but the Office us was great after all..

13. Anne says:

Cool ! I’ll watch

14. Jim says:

Nope, will not work Americanized. Will not work at all. We don’t have anything like the ASBOs over here.

15. jason says:

The script for this out there and the immediate problem is they can’t curse. its a bunch of “fricks” and replacement curse words. Takes the edge off the entire show

16. Kelly says:

Can’t imagine Nathan without Robert Sheehan. He was just the best thing about this show

17. Sheila says:

Only the two short people in the middle look like “young offenders.” I have never heard of this show. The only thing I watch on Freeform is Young & Hungry. I will check out Yara Shahidi’s show and maybe this one. Freeform is not my fave.

• Sheila says:

Point of clarification: I was referring to age not ethnicity.

• ScottJ says:

The photo is actually of the Series 5 cast. The casting announcement here is about the equivalents to the Series 1 characters who were all younger.

18. Ronnie says:

They should just make a related show and say that it’s the same storm that moved from the UK to the US.

19. evababy says:

WHY??? Much of the appeal of the original, and what made it work so well, was the chemistry between the cast. That at how well Iwan Rheon transformed Simon from such a odd character in Season 1 to the romantic hero he ended up being in season 3.

20. Lynne says:

Didn’t execs learn anything from the horrific attempt at Skins and Inbetweeners??? I’ve never seen the original Misfits, but knowing UK shows, the main problem with this is that it won’t be on a premium channel so it is going to be watered down alot, which will take away from the appeal of the original. No thanks.

• skyebright8 says:

Agree they just become very bland. I guess the superpowers might help, but the gifted and runaways and cloak and dagger are all coming out as well.

21. Dude says:

Just watch the original. Freeform is not the place for a decent American reboot of this.

22. Hayley Peterson says:

Nope, I can’t watch an American version of my ASBO s**theads, as the probation worker called them. Still makes me laugh on rewatch (first 3 seasons anyway) This isn’t needed. I implore others who have never watched the original to check it out, you won’t regret it!

23. AptLifeView says:

I stopped watching after S3 and I’m still salty about it years later. I think I’ll watch the remake only to see if they will change the S3 ending events or at least prolong them. But if the cast doesn’t have chemistry I won’t bother to finish it out. The original cast was damn near perfect together and it made the show so much fun.

24. Ceylan says:

Haha tvline you know the image you chose doesn’t include any of the original cast (and therefore any of the main characters listed) right?

25. K says:

I never watched the British series, but I have a vague memory of the American one that was cancelled when the lead died during the off season. Are they kind of the same story?

26. Even though I’m really excited because I love the original show, I’m also a bit skeptical ……. and will be super disappointed if it’s not as good. So, I guess I might as well get ready for that disappointment, huh?

27. Kaos says:

Freeform… not no the same level as Showtime and Netflix. Expect it to be a watered down and more soapy version of the original. Not Rated-R. Sorry.