Emmys

Emmys 2017: Supporting Actress in a Drama — Our 6 Dream Nominees

Game of Thrones‘ absence from the 2017 Emmy derby will have the biggest impact on our latest Dream Emmy category.

Last year, half of the nominees in the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama field hailed from HBO’s mega-phenom, which automatically leaves three of the six slots up for grabs. Additionally, the death of Downton Abbey means that the spot usually reserved for Dame Maggie Smith (aka 2016’s victor) also has a vacancy sign on it. And should UnREAL‘s sophomore slump cost Constance Zimmer a second consecutive nod, that would leave openings for five new actresses in this year’s race.

What’s an Emmy voter to do?! Well, first he/she needs to review our six Dream picks via the gallery to the right — or click here for direct access — and then they need to transpose our suggestions on to the actual Emmy ballot when it arrives on Monday, June 12. Super simple!

For the record, 2017 Emmy nominations will be unveiled on July 13. The 69th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Stephen Colbert, is slated to air Sunday, Sept. 17 on CBS.

Check out the gallery to the right to see our choices, then weigh in with your own choices below.

1. Ingmar says:

Chrissy Metz for sure. Amy Brenneman aswell. Grey’s Anatomy will never be nominated again, but I still think Caterina Scorsone deserves a nomination for her work on the show.

• Chris says:

Really? I still can’t stand her character. I started to like her last year and then this year was just full on back to she’s the worst character on the show besides minek.

• Alwayshappyz says:

Even when you despise a character you can still like the acting though. That said, I’m one of the few who thinks she’s one of the most misunderstood characters ever. Followed her journey since Private Practice and loved every minute of it. I only wish they’d talk about her lost baby a bit more (especially since Meredith doesn’t even know if I remember corrrectly?)…it would make people understand her a bit more imo. But hey, she’s not for everyone ;)

• Chris says:

Maybe that’s the problem I didn’t watch private practice I’ve heard that from a couple people that that helps. You can but I don’t think she is that great of an actress. Still love this show though! I want more Jackson and his dad next year that episode was great.

• Hannah says:

Idk, I watched all of Private Practice, and I still really hate Amelia. She was a hot mess before and after her horrifying tragedy, so while I garnered sympathy for her during that one really rough season, I still couldn’t stand to watch her.

• Hannah says:

Ehh I love This Is Us, but Chrissy Metz is easily the least talented of that group. She kinda always plays the same three emotions…
      Also, I hate Amelia with a passion, but I know it’s because Caterina Scorsone plays her *so well*. She’s pretty fantastic.

2. ToyCannon says:

Chrissy Metz deserves to be in the list. How is Penny Dreadful eligible? Didn’t it end its run a year ago?

• Chris says:

It was still in the eligibility period for the emmys.

• Brian says:

Was it though? Only the last 4 episodes aired in the June 1, 2016 – May 31, 2017 eligibility period. TV Line also included Eva Green in season 3 (the final season) in their dream nominees last year.

3. webly3 says:

There are so many worthy actresses in contention for this field that I have no idea who I’d vote for. I think all the choices here are great especially Thandie Newton and Amy Brenneman. I love the Vera Farmiga and Samira Wiley support too. I’d definitely nominate another actress over Billie Piper even though I agree that her performance was stellar. I haven’t seen the second season of Underground yet either to make a fair pick.

Other great options are Rhea Seehorn, Kerry Bishe, Mackenzie Davis, Lori Petty, Holly Taylor, J. Smith Cameron, Maura Tierney, Aubrey Plaza, Winona Ryder, Millie Bobby Brown, and Uzo Aduba (her finest work of the show was season 4).

4. kirads09 says:

Susan Blommaert – aka Kaplan – the Blacklist.

5. Kevin Tran says:

Elizabeth Marvel deserves to be on the list. Her performance on Homeland is terrific.

6. I’m surprised (but not disappointed) that 13 Reasons Why hasn’t been suggested for anything. I have this weird feeling that Emmy is going to recognise them so the academy can say, “look how progressive and left-field we are, overlooking the fact it’s a teen show because it has a social message.”

• Chris says:

I doubt it it the show was good but the acting wasn’t really Emmy worthy in my opinion. Not bad just not that level.

• I totally agree but I wouldn’t be surprised if they put social commentary over quality. If they cared more about quality, The Leftovers would have been nominated twice by now, not to mention the countless other outrageous snubs over the year.

• Chris says:

Your right if they did the leftovers would have won every single award that show was absolutely amazing. Justin Theroux better be nominated this year. Also Steve Carnell would have won at least once if they cared about quality only.

• Y says:

Probably because it belongs in the mini series category rather than drama.

7. Also, Millie Bobby Brown, Yvonne Strahovsky, Maura Tierney, Aubrey Plaza. There were so many good performances this year. Very hard to choose!

8. Joey Padron says:

Hope Vera will get nominated again for Bates Motel. She did great in the final season of the show.

9. GeoDiva says:

Aubrey Plaza in Legion was doing her best work ever!

10. John036 says:

Vanessa Kirby — The Crown
    Neve Campbell — House of Cards (a long shot, I know, but I love Neve)
    Chrissy Metz — This Is Us
    Susan Kelechi Watson – This Is Us
    Thandie Newton — Westworld
    Samira Wiley — Orange is the New Black

11. kirads09 says:

Almost forgot but Rhea Seehorn for Better Call Saul.

12. dan says:

Uzo Aduba and Lori Petty from OITNB. Both were excellent (along with Samira Wiley). I’m on the bandwagon for Chrissy Metz from This Is Us and I also think Sissy Spacek from Bloodline deserves a nomination.

13. Leo says:

Karla Souza deserves to win this, sadly she won’t even be nominated

14. Brad says:

Kate Walsh should be recognized for 13 Reasons Why. You could feel her pain as a grief-stricken mother every time she was on screen, particularly in the final episode.

15. orangemac5 says:

The Emmys have loved Bloodline actors Kyle Chandler and Ben Mendelsohn for the first two seasons, so I think Sissy Spacek will get a Supporting Actress nod. [SPOILER POSSIBLE] That courtroom scene and that kitchen scene were both incredible.

16. Kimberly Campbell says:

COMPLETELY overlooking Katheryn Winnick from Vikings! She more than deserves to be in the top 6!

17. teeveenerd says:

Gillian Anderson has been amazing on American Gods. I hope she gets recognized, but it seems like many Starz shows are overlooked.

• Diane says:

I agree that shows on Stars are overlooked as well as the amazing performances!

• Brian says:

She was submitted as guest actress.

• teeveenerd says:

Do you know the rules behind the guest category? Because I was actually wondering if she could be submitted as guest, but she’s appeared in multiple episodes.

• Brian says:

“Only performers appearing in less than 50% of the eligible episodes are able to submit in the Guest Performer categories.” Last year Peter MacNicol was nominated for guest actor for Veep, but then had his nomination taken away when they realized he was in 5 of the 10 episodes that season. Gold Derby posted American Gods category submissions this week and they put her as a guest actress.

18. matty says:

My choices are:

Amy Brenneman, The Leftovers
    Chrissy Metz, This Is Us
    Samaria Wiley, Orange Is the New Black
    Danielle Brooks, Orange Is the New Black
    Aja Naomi King, How To Get Away With Murder

19. The Beach says:

Vera Farmiga…that is all.

20. Michael says:

Oh Penny Dreadful is still eligible? I would hope Eva Green wins for Lead Actress then. Phenomenal. The most fearless acting I’ve ever seen. But if not her, then Billie Piper would be a great win. Vera Farmiga deserves it too though.

21. Cate says:

Bit confused over who is eligible but I’d go for
    Amy Brenneman
    Yvonne Strahovski
    Kate Walsh
    Thandie Newton
    Rhea Seahorn

22. Diane says:

I don’t see why the Outlander actresses don’t get enough respect. Game of Thrones actresses have gotten their fair share of attention and accolades but Caitriona Balfe in Outlander did an amazing job.

23. Lonny J says:

How about Yvonne Strahovski in “Handmaid’s Tale”? She is an outstanding actress who rarely gets any recognition for her fine performances.

24. Dennis says:

Carrie Coon from The Leftovers *must* get a nomination, she is phenomenal!

25. Dennis says:

Thandi from Westworld!!!

26. Angel says:

Where Ian Chrissy Metz on your list?! She is so good on This is Us.

27. jeanna says:

Agree 100% with Thandie Newton and Samira Wiley. I hope those two spots are guaranteed! Billie Piper was wonderful but she only got to shine in a few episodes, one in particular where she was brilliant. Katheryn Winnick was and has been amazing in Vikings. Maybe this is her year. I didn’t see The Leftovers but Amy Brenneman is great so I’ll take your word for it. People have mentioned Aubrey Plaza for Legion – yes, she was fantastic.

28. Jackie Hoffman (Mamacita) on Feud deserves a nomination.

29. Benjamin Collinsworth says:

My only choice in this category is Phyllis Smith for The O.A. It was a divisive series for sure, but her work was just beautiful and kept playing in my mind for weeks after I finished the show.