the leftovers recap season 3 episode 8 series finale

The Leftovers Series Finale Recap: Were You Happy With the Ending?

Warning: The following contains spoilers for the series finale of The Leftovers. Proceed at your own risk.

As executive producer Damon Lindelof promised TVLine back in April, The Leftovers’ series finale Sunday did resolve the big Nora twist with which the Season 3 premiere concluded. But how did the episode do with regard to answering our other questions (and we had plenty!)? And did you find it as satisfying as portrayer Carrie Coon told us she did? Read on, then you can grade the ending in our poll below and discuss/debate in the comments.

‘SHE’S THE BRAVEST GIRL ON EARTH’ | As “The Book of Nora” began, Nora was challenged by the Swiss physicists to give a more believable testimonial than she had in Take 1 by including in it the names of her departed kids. “I’m leaving to be with my children, Erin and Jeremy,” she said, growing misty-eyed. “I’m ready to go now.” Not so fast. First, the doctors wanted to explain to her what was about to happen: After disrobing, she’d enter the event chamber, seal it from the inside, pull her knees to her chest, then hold her breath for 30 seconds while the machine — which looked like it could easily produce a Brundlefly — filled with liquid metal that, once radiated, would solidify around her. (All of which sounded a helluva lot scarier than the lie-in-a-crate test that Nora passed back in “G’Day Melbourne.”) While waiting for the all-clear to proceed, Nora did a Mad Lib with Matt, who admitted that he was scared — not for her but for himself. Scared of dying and, even more so, of living, because if he managed to pull through, he didn’t know how he’d ever again preach that he had answers when he now knew he had bupkis.

‘I LIKE TO GET A LITTLE LOST’ | When at last we arrived at the moment of truth, Nora — flashing back every step of the way to her last moments with her family — went through with it, and we cut to… white homing pigeons landing on her doppelgänger Sarah’s roof. Aha — it was a whole replay of the mind-bending scene from “The Book of Kevin” in which the look-alike told her nun friend that the name Kevin meant nothing to her. Only this time, we went further with the scene, allowing the nun to inform Sarah that a man by that name had come by with a photo of her. The nun hadn’t told him anything, she swore. But she also suspected he knew that she was lying. After Sarah biked home and found herself unable to not freak out, she hastily packed a bag and all of her pigeon money to fly the coop. Before she could leave, however, there was a knock at the door: an older Kevin, saying that they’d only met a couple of times back in Mapleton, like at that school dance. Still, he’d recognized her when she’d pedaled by during his Australian vacation, and since he’d always wished he’d asked her to dance all those years ago… well, he just had to invite her to the dance in town that evening. Knowing full well thanks to the nun that that wasn’t what happened, Sarah sent him away. OK, he said. But he’d be there if she changed her mind.

the leftovers recap season 3 episode 8 series finale‘SAME TIME NEXT WEEK?’ | If anyone didn’t know by this point that this was our Nora, not some Sarah, the matter was absolutely settled when she biked to a pay phone to call… Laurie. Wait, Laurie?!? (Guess she didn’t kill herself in “Certified” after all.) The shrink, a toddler in tow, promised that she hadn’t told and wouldn’t ever tell Kevin where she was. Yet, in spite of Nora’s insistence that she wanted her ex to leave her alone, Laurie suspected that what her patient really wanted was to go to that dance with him. In fact, she thought Nora had called her to get some kind of official OK to do so — which so irritated Nora that it had to be true. Back home, she took a bath and was so unnerved when the bathroom door stuck, trapping her inside, that she literally beat it down. (Clearly, she still had some feelings for Kevin!) Upon arriving at the dance, Nora was surprised to discover that it was actually a wedding. Had Kevin even been invited? Sure, he said. The bride and groom had met him at a hotel bar and insisted he come. And that was about it for small talk. Nora then pressed Kevin to reveal how he’d found her, and he continued to insist that, visiting his dad on holiday, he’d just happened to see her bicycling by. So he didn’t remember them getting their divorces on the same day and her inviting him to go to Miami with her? “You must have me confused with someone else,” he said, charming her. Because he for sure would have gone to Miami with her.

‘WILL YOU DANCE WITH ME?’ | If Kevin had been in Mapleton all this time, Nora suggested, he must know Matt. Yup, he did. He had been hoping that that woman he’d met at that dance would come to her brother’s well-attended funeral. (Other updates: Mary had wound up eulogizing the husband she’d dearly loved, Jill had gotten married and had a baby, and Tommy’s marriage… er, that hadn’t gone as well.) Had Kevin remarried? No, ”cause I’m still holding a candle for you,” he said, pointing out that, after his mom’s death, his dad had never remarried. “People hold candles, Nora.” Speaking of Kevin Sr., he was still alive and kicking at 91, prompting Nora to crack that, like his son, he must be immortal. Oh, but Kevin was quite mortal. He’d had a heart attack and now rocked a pacemaker, he revealed. When the bride popped by their table to collect the messages of love that guests were to write on tiny scraps of paper so that the nun’s white homing pigeons could spread them around the world, Kevin wouldn’t tell Nora what he’d put down. “That’s for me to know,” he said, “and some lonely Eskimo to find out.” Next, guests put their Mardi Gras beads around the neck of a goat, which would serve as an actual scapegoat, carrying into the desert the beads which represented their sins. Finally, Kevin asked Nora to dance, and as they held one another, it was like watching a broken heart being pieced back together. The moment affected them both deeply, yet, since he stuck to his story of how he’d found her, she pulled away. “I can’t do this,” she said, “because it’s not true”

‘THIS PIGEON LOVES YOU’ | Arriving home to find that her carrier pigeons hadn’t returned after the wedding, Nora biked off to confront the nun and found a, er, gentleman caller sneaking out of her place. The nun insisted that she hadn’t fed the birds anything different or done anything differently than she always did when Nora delivered her fine-feathered friends. Maybe, she suggested, they were just off delivering their messages of love. Naturally, Nora didn’t want to be sold that line of bull. But the nun wasn’t trying to sell her anything, she said. “It’s just a nicer story.” Headed back home, Nora wiped out when her bike rolled over some beads from the wedding, leading her to discover the poor goat stuck to a fence by more beads. After rescuing the distressed animal, she led it back to her place and gave it some veggies to eat instead of the bucket of notes from past bird runs that it seemed perfectly content to have as breakfast. As Nora sat down and read a few of the notes herself, Kevin showed up ready to tell her the truth: When Matt had told him she was gone, he hadn’t been able to believe it. Even after she was a no-show at her brother’s funeral, he couldn’t believe it. So every year since, he’d used his two weeks of vacation to return to the place where he’d lost her in hopes of finding her again. When he’d shown her picture to the nun, he’d seen it in her eyes — she knew Nora. Then, when at last he found her, he hadn’t known what to say, so he’d erased their past so that maybe they could have another chance. In response to this passionate outpouring, Nora offered Kevin tea.

the leftovers recap season 3 episode 8 series finale‘I WAS A GHOST’ | Sitting down over tea, Nora had Kevin clarify which parts of his story had been true — his heart attack, Matt’s funeral, everything about his family. He wasn’t still in Mapleton, he was in Jarden “in our house,” with Laurie and John next door, Michael more or less running the church, and Erika visiting now and then. At the mention of Laurie, Nora admitted that she talked with her occasionally. But “don’t be mad at her” for not cluing him in, she added. “She’s my therapist.” Why didn’t Nora tell him herself where she was? Because, she replied, the last time they’d seen each other, he’d been right: “I needed to be with my kids.” Simple as that. She was never going to heal, so she needed a way to get them back. And she found it. She’d gone through to the other side, which had been exactly like this side, only without the trucks and the people. “I was in the [same] parking lot naked, curled up like a baby,” she recalled. At first, everything seemed so deserted, she wondered if there was no one anywhere on the other side. Eventually, she saw lights, and met a kind man and woman, who told her that seven years earlier, they’d been left behind. “That’s when I understood,” Nora said. “Over here, we lost some of them. But over there, they lost all of us.” Eventually, she made her way back to Mapleton and observed from a distance her children… and her husband… and his new wife. “They were all smiling. They were… happy,” she said. “In a world full of orphans, they still had each other.” As for her, she “had no place there.”

So, as the Swiss had jokingly suggested, Nora looked up the first person to use the teleporter, its inventor, and asked him to make another machine to send her back where she belonged. By and by, he did exactly that, and back to the other side, she came. Had she thought about Kevin in the interim? Of course. But she couldn’t contact him when she returned. Too much time had passed, she argued. It was too late. And, more importantly, she didn’t think he would believe what had happened. “I believe you,” he said. She then took his hand, they smiled at one another, her homing pigeons began returning, and — miracle of miracles — their story had not only a happy ending but the most romantic of endings. Now then, what did you think of their reunion and the series’ finale?

Grade the conclusion in the poll below, then hit the comments. Were there any questions left unanswered that are going to drive you crazy?

1. webly3 says:

It was amazing. It couldn’t have been better.

2. manuasia says:

That was it. The Book of Nora was a nice companion to the first episode of the series, the Book of Kevin, and it showed that, even though the series presented itself as a grand metaphysical mystery, it also was, at its heart, a love story. Also, HBO wisely warned us in its description of the episode “Nothing is answered. Everything is answered. And then it ends.”

I think one of the big questions that will drive people crazy is where did the episode take place, and if the story that Nora tells at the end is true. Did she really go through the LADR machine, only to come back? After three seasons wanting to be with her kids, she sees them and decides to turn around and not talk to them? All of those are legitimate questions, but I also think that those questions are missing the point. If she went through the LADR machine or not, what the final scene is telling us is that she finally has a story to tell and someone to tell it. She has finally written the Book of Nora and, after Kevin acceptance of it, they are both ready to write their common story.

I will miss watching a show that was not only engaging, but that it made me think and reflect about important questions, about the nature of existence, and the universe. The answers, were never supposed to come from the show, or from Lindelof, but from us. The Leftovers was just a great vehicle to ask those questions, letting us come up with our own answers, and prodding us to write our own narratives in order to make sense of the world around us. So thanks Damon Lindelof and the rest of the writers in the show for creating such a beautiful piece of storytelling. I will miss watching it and thinking about the show every Sunday.

Thanks Charlie for all of your recaps. They really helped make sense of what it was, no doubt a complex but fascinating show!

• Nora Desmond says:

Nice summary. I am going to miss this show greatly. It made us think, which is almost impossible today. I cried through many episodes. I also think you made good points.

• manuasia says:

Thanks. I will also miss the show.

• Nora Desmond says:

I think after 3 years with Nora, we needed her to make contact with her kids. I think her biggest fear was her kids not knowing who she was or needing her. That and Kevin went back to being a cop-nothing more. And what became of Lily? She was Holy Wayne’s daughter? And Matt’s son? Lots of things that should have been addressed.

• manuasia says:

I think you are right that there are many unanswered things, but they never promised answers to everything in the show. The description of the episode was cleverly funny about it “nothing is answered. Everything is answered. And then it ends.” I would really recommend watching it again. It took me 3 times to make my piece with it and accept the story (like Kevin does with Nora) of the story they wanted to tell us.

• Aubree says:

Why do you think people will be wondering about where the final episode took place? It is pretty clearing stated multiple times that they are in a small town in Australia. Also in my opinion it’s not unreasonable to believe that Nora would leave without ever making contact with her children. She went and saw that they were ok without her, they had moved on and found happiness. They were lucky to have been able to stay together as a family, even if she wasn’t there. Any good mother would happily sacrifice her own happiness if it meant saving her children from pain. Her children being so young at the time of the departure would not understand what happened. Especially considering in their reality there mother was the one that disappeared. Like Nora said, she didn’t belong there. She would only be a ghost to them. Plus Nora is pretty self distructive, so it fits her character.

• manuasia says:

Well, I think you are assuming that she did go through with the LADR machine, which is not clear. Maybe she is just telling herself and Kevin that story so she can move on. It is time for her to stop thinking in facts and truths (which have made her life miserable) and start thinking about ways in which she can be happy. Telling that story (the Book of Nora) may be her way of doing that.

• Mike says:

Her story was very elaborate and included details that you almost think she wouldn’t have thought to include if she was making it up (i.e. no flights because there weren’t enough pilots.)

The main reason I believe it is because it jives with Kevin’s conversation with Evie on the other side, where Evie believed her whole family died. Which she never heard about from Kevin.

• manuasia says:

I don’t think the LADR (where the departed supposedly are) and the other place (where Kevin goes) are not the same place. I don’t think Kevin ever saw a departed person in his various journeys. As for how elaborate is her story, just think how elaborate The Leftovers is. As humans we are able to create complex stories to give us purpose and meaning.

• Mike says:

I think what’s impressive about the show is that I didn’t doubt Nora’s story even for a second, and I believe Kevin when he said he believed it too. It didn’t even occur to me that some people might have thought she made it up.

As for why she left, it made sense. It had been seven years, and her family had moved on, and were happy. If she had dropped in, it would have upended their new lives.

• manuasia says:

That doesn’t mean that her story is necessarily true. She is obsessed with truth and lies in the episode and throughout the season. But that only made her unhappy. She may have made that story up in order to move on, to have her own narrative. To find meaning and purpose in her life.

• Mike says:

The fact that Nora’s experience jived with Evie’s tells me it has to be true. Kevin did not tell Nora what Evie had told him in the limo.

• manuasia, Like you I had to watch the end scene a couple fo times before I accepted it. Really have been enjoying your breakdown of episodes on your blog. Now the leftovers series has ended. Is it time for a rewatch and breakdown of LOST? Here’s hoping!

3. kirads09 says:

Well, they explained Nora mostly but nothing else. I honestly thought after that story she told Kevin about coming back that she was going to then tell Kevin she was making it all up. She almost seemed like she was. I guess I am having a hard time “letting the mystery be” because I feel really unsatisfied with the finale tbh.

• R.O.B. says:

Agreed

• Jen says:

I agree. I feel like the overall question of what happened during the departure was answere. But, literally everything else seemed to stay unanswered. Like the whole Wayne thing, and all the babies. I want to know why that plot line existed. Why was Kevin crazy? Why was he able to travel to the afterlife? It just all seems so empty. I can’t just go on pretending like that last episode answered things for me, because it really only answered that small bit. Hmm.

• Danemon says:

I think the best part about this show is that it gives us enough to make our own answers, which is probably all we can ever ask for. The show is about truths afer all! If the rest of the show was anything to go by then Wayne was a fake, a master manipulator but a deeply flawed person. Sleeping with as many young Asian women as possible, bearing children with them, and then shunning all responsiblity- leaving them to go do drugs or whatever state he got himself in, remember the money Tommy gave him? That screams drug money to me.

4. Lani says:

Perfect.

5. I thought it was perfect. Really going to miss this devastatingly beautiful show.

6. Nora Desmond says:

I love this show. I waited almost two years for season 3. I would give the finale a B. Why? Because although Nora and Kevin found each other, there was something off about it. I think the end of season 2 was better-that was supposed to be the finale. I loved season 3 but was meh about the finale. I like the episode “Certified” much better when Laurie said goodbye to Nora, Matt, Kevin and her kids.

7. Nora Desmond says:

PS-We never learned much about Kevin post death. He was supposed to be the Messiah. He is a cop and looking for Nora every year? Again, it was a little off for me.

8. Nora Desmond says:

One more comment-I really liked the first two season because it was much more ensemble driven. You had the Garvey family, the Guilty Remnemt, citizens of Maplewood, etc. Wasn’t in love with the move to Miracle. We never found out what happened to Evie either.

9. Nora Desmond says:

• Aubree says:

Evie died when the ATF bombed the city center that all the guilty remnant were sleeping in at the end of season 2. Season 3 opens up showing people driving around the giant crater in Miracle where it used to be.

10. Mike says:

Nora died. Lori died. Kevin has been searching for Nora in the afterlife (hotel/purgatory). Matt is dead but fulfilled his purpose so he moved on. Nora couldn’t move on without Kevin. The references are too plenty… Hold a candle, how did you find me? Met them at the hotel bar.

• Mike says:

Man. I was not at all on board with the “they’re all dead in the afterlife” thing except that I completely forgot that Laurie topped herself in the last episode.

• Nora Desmond says:

That is so LOST.

• queerbec says:

That kept crossing my mind as well. Laurie indeed killed herself, Nora did die in the machine because it really does nothing and Kevin either died in the previous episode or actually died from the heart attack. This all fits the plot line, including the ethereal other-worldly nun and the message motivated Aggie and Eddie as heavenly cherubs or seraphim.

• Aubree says:

I see the correlation you are making, and I understand why many could come to that conclusion. But they never showed Laurie actually dieing. Nora mearily inferred that it would be a simple way to kill yourself while still maintaining your pride and not hurting your family more than nessasary. Perhaps Laurie simply wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef on what everyone thought was last day. She did tell Nora during that conversation that she was a certified diver. So it must be something she enjoys doing. Also, if she was in fact dead Jill and Tommy wouldn’t have been able to talk to her on the phone like they did. I do believe that she had planed to kill her self that way but changed her mind once she talked to her children. The same way that she changed her mind after she took all those pills in the flashback scene. I do think the biblical correlations are mearly a part of the story though, disigned to help us understand and apply the lessons to our own lives.

• And was the toddler Laurie was holding the baby that departed from her womb in season 1

11. jcoop16 says:

I thought it was amazing! My only real problem is that even though many of the unseen characters did get good endings, you didn’t even see them at the end. I am so ticked off that Margaret Qualley was only seen in the first episode. Also, if Chris Zylka was only going to be seen in the first two episodes, why credit him a main cast member. Overall, it was an amazing series and I hope that Kevin and Nora live a good life.

12. mlarson3 says:

SPOILERS FOLLOWING

I love so much that for all the glorious amounts of thinking and discussing that show provided, I never once considered that the characters on the screen were actually the lucky ones. That they were the one group – out of the two – who had an easier outcome. It just serves to prove that no matter how hard you have it, there is always someone else who has it worse. And what a devastatingly beautiful way to teach that lesson. Big thanks to Mr. Lindelof and company for taking it on. We’ll done.

13. M says:

I think Nora has to be lying because if she came back from the other world, why would only she go? Why wouldn’t it be public knowledge? Why wouldn’t they essentially create a “door” known to the world where everyone could freely move between each world?

• Aubree says:

It wouldn’t be public knowledge for the same reason it isn’t public knowledge in the Leftovers reality. They said that the government would not allow them to conduct official human trials which is why they were constantly changing locations and having to be secretive. Plus In order to survive the process they had to fit a pretty specific criteria. Hence the Health Exam and confined spaces testing. I think the process is way to complex to make a permanate door or pathway type thing.

• ..yet in a world where it is too difficult to even have consistent air travel because only 2% of the people are there, they managed to assemble a unique a semi-trailer size radiation machine and the other materials required for the process at the request of one person, and only send that one person through. IMO if Nora’s story is true, it creates some plot holes.

14. Maria says:

Only saw the first couple of episodes. Have to catch up from the beginning. Did they ever explain why all those people disappeared?

15. Bill Dust says:

Haha this series was so lame.

16. Marie Caruso says:

People instantly vanishing, but yet a machine can transport to where they went? No heaven, no hell just parallel universe? People somehow being sucked into a vortex that others can get to by machine?I had a theory (and I like mine better) that the whole thing was about a journey into mental illness, would have made more sense with the shrink in the story

17. Jim says:

A smiling Nora Durst. What a way to end the series. I had a sneaking suspicion, despite Lindelof’s adamant protestations, that they might explain what happened to the Departed in this final episode after all. And they did, though whether or not you believe it is, of course, up to you. Me? I believe it. This show was one of the most gripping, disquieting, and profound television series I’ve ever experienced. I only wish we’d been able to spend more time this season with some of the cast from the previous seasons, like Jill and Erica, and even Michael, who despite being in a lot of the episodes was really just kind of there. But I guess that would have distracted from the main plot of the season. The show was excellent at using restraint. Less is more, and all that.

18. Lani says:

I love the idea that the whole show was about Nora and Kevin, and everything else was just incidental.

19. Harnas says:

What a great ending for a fantastic serie. I will miss “The Leftovers”

20. Joseph DiBella says:

First, I’m thankful that it was not a total fail like the series finales of Lost, Battlestar Galactica, How I Met Your Mother, and countless other shows that had no idea how to wrap up their story lines. A universe split between the leftovers and the orphans at least had internal consistency and gave a full explanation, even if no religious or scientific basis was offered for it. And I liked that, in the end, it was a love story with closure. The only thing that bothered me was Nora’s explanation for why she has been avoiding Kevin for 16 years. If she really loved him, I don’t think she could have done that. And the two points she made — too much time had passed and she did not think he would believe her — ring false. Being gone in orphan world even for several years would not be a reason for failing to look him up if she really cared. And Kevin is the guy who died a half dozen times and traveled to his own alternate universe, which he thinks he destroyed in a nuclear holocaust. He would believe absolutely anything. I think it was a plot contrivance to create a dramatic reunion. And in the end, it made me annoyed at Nora, and not for the first time.

21. Esteban says:

The truth is that I feel that this was a rather simplistic ending to a very complex plot. I thought this ending was going to slap me in the face with the substance that has always characterized it, but I just felt a subtle kiss on my cheek.

Did Nora go through the machine? I mean, why wouldn’t she? It is safe to remember that this is a world where 2% of the population vanished on thin air. Why is the idea of a machine that can actually take you where that 2% disappeared to is so crazy?

Nora never reached out to Kevin because she thought he wasn’t going to believe that she went through the machine? We can discuss all we want about how complex of a character Nora was and the million reasons why she wouldn’t reach out to Kevin, but the truth is that “I thought you wouldn’t believe me” was the biggest nonsense and the weakest argument she could’ve come up with. Once again, this is a world where people vanished on thin air without an explanation and honestly I can’t comprehend how some people manage to be so skeptical about anything anymore. Also, are you telling me that the guy that claims that every time he dies (he’s done it many times) he visits this version of purgatory and then goes back to the world of the living, was not going to believe her? I don’t know.

So, Nora went back to her “dimension” because she saw her kids were fine without her and she was a “ghost” to them? So, what was her resolution? To be a ghost in her dimension as well? I mean, she saw her kids were happy without her, was that not some sort of “closure” for her? Wouldn’t that motivate her to pursue a life where she could be happy as well? Yes, Nora is as self-destructive as she can be, but was that another of the many reasons she had not to reach out to Kevin? Because if it was, I consider it to be a weak argument as well.
    Nora also blamed it on “time”, but I will not even discuss this topic, because I think that time was the only thing she had.

So, what can I say? I loved this show. It’s just that I feel that it didn’t get the ending that it deserved. Was I looking for answers? No. Was I looking for substance? Yes.

22. CountryQueen says:

I feel people think they know the answer to what happened to The Departed, but we really don’t. People just disappeared in both worlds, but we don’t know where. When Nora was talking about the other place, she said that “they” were the ones suddenly gone, meaning Nora, Kevin, etc. But they didn’t just appear here, and Nora’s family didn’t go there. Nora’s family wasn’t really her family that she spied on. The Nora of that world disappeared, but it wasn’t the Nora we knew. She didn’t go anywhere. So we still don’t know what happened to The Departed. And I’m fine with that. It was never about them. If you haven’t read the book, please do so. And then read some more Tom Perrotta. He’s excellent.

23. rvw7PS6NIuiexsImd9xIl4aWk9GJYPoM69ffEfu8Elk= says:

Yeah it wasn’t all tied up in a nice understanding bow. But that was perfect, it left us with questions and even know that pisses us off it was the only way it could end. I loved the show. Thanks who ever wrote it.

24. Shawn S says:

This was an amazing show from start to finish in 3 acts. Well produced with moments of intense pain, sadness, joy and laughter. I value the unpredictability of the show as well as the vague answers that always left me thinking about it long after the episodes ended. I wish there were more episodes ando seasons, but sometimes the best end it on their terms, which makes it even more special. The acting and directions was phenomenal and the music will haunt me for years, thanks for such a great show!

25. APFW says:

I rather enjoyed the series finale and believed the Leftovers had a much more satisfying conclusion than Lost, whether you believed Nora or not. Also, I want to congratulate the make-up people, the aged make up was believable and almost perfect.

26. Russell Roesner says:

PS: I’m looking for a writing job. : )

27. Simply put. “The protagonist, antagonist, the scientist, and spiritual characters were the only ones to get face time on the finale. Kevin, Nora, Laurie Garvey, and Matt Jamison. Can you GROK that? I believe the writers had each one of us in mind as well in being a 5th character, the observer. I thank the writers and actors for helping me dig deep. Each of us as an observer became a participant and the beauty from that perspective is the show brought us all together as a community yet at the same time, a community of one based on our own uniquely personal perspective. The Leftovers was and always will be one of the most brilliant shows I have ever experienced. Thank you!
    PS: I’m looking for a writing job. : )

28. cp1945 says:

I consider this a perfect finale for such an important show. I read “The Leftovers” when it first came out. The central mystery was “why these people?”. People who had done bad acts departed along with the innocent. People like Matt, a good person, remained. So many avenues our minds could travel in 3 great seasons.
    I have no reason to believe Nora lied to Kevin. She has never been anything but honest. Consider their last fight: She refused to accept that her children were dead — they were just gone. And this fight explains why she couldn’t contact Kevin. How could she expect him to believe that after doing what he said, going to them, she just walked away?
    And as for the parallel worlds, who says there were only 2? Kevin’s afterlife reality contained at least some of the Departed. Who’s to say everyone departed to the same destination? These questions that persist exemplify why this was one of the truly great series. We are lucky to be viewers.

29. Michael says:

There couldn’t have been a better ending to this remarkable series.

30. Noxema Jackson says:

“We lost some of them, but they lost all of us.” That line broke me.

31. Brenda Jhonson says:

Feeling good to tell the world about how i got saved by a great friend,he saved me to help me get the truth of my cheating husband,i have met someone who wanted to do it but needed me to be close to cheating husband device but not possible because he won’t never let that happen,then i thought of going to my friend and got me results,contact him now in his private email hotcyberlord at g mail . com so he can help you as he did for me,tell him from Brend

32. Edmund Dantes says:

The Leftovers finale was perhaps the worst finale in television history. Relying on pulling on enotional heartstrings is not a proper substitute for good writing. I was actually offended with how awful the finale was.

33. Martin Cole says:

How did Nora travel in the other world? She wouldn’t have had ANY money.

34. Robert J says:

Why did the departed leave and who or what caused it?

35. Dan says:

it was a terrible ending just left more questions then answers. things could have been wrapped better then this people do want to see the FINALE not another episode that leaves more questions, but that’s just me

36. kimh says:

I loved the season finale. It was so well done. I feel all of our questions were answered through Nora’s story telling and Kevin recanting his life since Nora left. We saw that Lori was indeed alive and seemed happy. I truly believe talking to her kids before her scuba diving excursion saved her from committing suicide. We found our Matt’s ultimate fate. Bravo to the creators of this series that I am going to miss terribly!

37. David Burton's Daughter says:

Overall loved the series and the explanation of what happened to the departures. But I am utterly confused, maybe I missed something. Is David Burton (who actually has the same name as my own dad) actually God or not? If he is why blow up pergatory? I was also left empty by Kevin Sr’s voices being delusions when Kevin’s weren’t and the Christopher Sunday song being nonsense. I felt that maybe if there had been another season it may have been more complete. When it came down to it the pergatory and repeated deaths/resurrections seemed pointless to the story which bummed me out. What did I miss?

38. David says:

Laurie was indeed planning to kill her self (in a elegant manner) by scuba diving but the call from her daughter (and son) seemingly, changed her mind.

We were supposed to misinterpret her smile we saw the second before she fell backwards into the ocean and ‘Certified’ cut to black. The second we see her talk to Nora in the finale, we understood what that smile was really about–her desire to live.