Supernatural's Mark Sheppard Speaks Out on Exit: 'There Are No Plans for Me to Return at Any Juncture'

Don’t expect Supernatural‘s Mark Sheppard to make a reappearance on the CW series anytime soon — even as a guest star.

Earlier this week, TVLine confirmed that the actor would not be returning as a series regular in Season 13. (Sheppard previously confirmed his exit in an Instagram post, insisting that it was “time for something new.”) Shortly after our story broke, Supernatural Co-EP Jim Michaels hinted that viewers have not seen the last of Sheppard’s fan-favorite Crowley character, declaring on Twitter, “Never say never.”

RELATED The CW Fall Schedule: Arrow, Riverdale, Jane on Move, Originals, iZombie MIA

However, Sheppard — who was killed off in last Thursday’s finale — quickly took umbrage with Michaels’ post. “With all due respect, your comment is inaccurate and misleading to the fans,” Sheppard tersely tweeted in response. “There are NO plans to have me return to [Supernatural] at ANY juncture.”

It’s hardly unprecedented for characters on Supernatural to die only to be resurrected at a later time. But it would appear that Crowley — who sacrificed his own life in order to seal the rift between worlds — will be an exception.

Supernatural returns this fall on The CW, where it will continue to air Thursdays at 8/7c — now as a lead-in to Season 6 of Arrow.

1. Amber says:

I need somebody to spill so behind the scene tea…Something happened here.

• Catlin says:

Well, Mark has been on the show for almost ten years now? He’s probably ready to try other shows and roles. I’ve only ever seen him as recurring or guest characters in other shows (the one I keep thinking of is Doctor Who), so maybe he’s bored of doing the same thing for too long. Plus, I think we’ve seen the full arc of Crowley.

Then again, I might be wrong and you might be right. It just seems that Supernatural has remained relatively drama-free behind the scenes (well, except for JDM back in season one).

• Kiki says:

Yaaaaass! I also need tea and the reciepts. Something difinitely happened.

• Dawn says:

Whose JDM? And what happened?

• Ninamags says:

You people are pathetic.

Do you not really know the roots of the show??

There were three fan-freaking-tastic seasons in the beginning. The 3 BEST in my opinion.

Jeffery Dean Morgan-Pappa Winchester.

• Tori Cashin says:

You need to chill out. People are merely asking a question. People not recognising an actors name straight way much less in initial form does not make them pathetic. Hell, he hasn’t even been on the show in 10 years. It doesn’t mean they haven’t watched Season 1, and even if they haven’t that doesn’t make them any less of fans.

• dude says:

Not knowing who Jeffrey Dean Morgan is, is pathetic? Please go outside and reunite yourself with reality.

• msrccl says:

Minamags, you are rude. Some people started watching in later years. Also, some people have more to do with their lives than to “live” the shows they watch.
          You need to chill and be respectful.

• Linda c says:

I agree because he always said I love my job

• msrccl says:

I so agree. Something happened. I live Crowley over Castiel. He helped make the show continue being great, now he decides to leave? A top show? No way.

2. Kristina says:

Interesting. Either there’s some tension there or he just really doesn’t have any interest in coming back, in which case it’s nice that he doesn’t want to leave the fans hoping for a return that never materializes. Either way I can’t wait to see where he pops up next.

3. Wiz says:

Ouch.. but maybe he was smart to do this. I mean every time they kill off a popular character they say”never say never” look at Charlie for example. Last year Bob Singer said something similar. He said that if Felicia called and said she was free we’d have her back. Then she tweeted waiting by the phone.

I don’t know why they like to give false hope. They’ve done this to so many characters. Even Misha. But Mark threw some shade. Something must’ve happened.

• Katie says:

We saw Bobby for a moment, maybe Crowley will be similarly brought back at some point for a split second scene. Hardly a come back tho.
      Too bad, Crowley was a sexy, sexy beast to watch!

• Jay says:

Katie….Bob Singer is the name of the producer. They’re not talking about the Bobby Singer the character. Basically Bob Singer the producer said that we may see Charlie again and said if Felicia Day was free, they’d bring her back. And Felicia Day apparently tweeted that she was free, but got no phone calls back.

• msrccl says:

YESSSSS, HE WAS. Sexy and funny. And that accent. One huge YUM FEST❣

4. kate says:

this makes me sad but I really like Sheppard and Crowley had a good run. granted, death doesn’t always stick on this show, but if this one did, I think it was handled well. the dimensions written and performed into the character really made his sacrifice mean something. it was, as they say, “a good death.”

5. Just not quite sure why this had to air in such a negative way on twitter, if he was ready to leave, why not just say so leading up to this instead of teasing fans at conventions saying he was dead at episode 21. He has been with the show long enough to have the respect of a great fandom, so why not go out on top instead of going out with this back lash to a comment by a show executive? I don’t understand this at all, on either his part or on the show’s Executives parts. It’s Disappointing.

• jair95 says:

A good guess would be Mark was not the one who decided to move on. He’s clearly ticked at the way he was treated and despite his penchant for teasing, he’s known to be a straight shooter in serious matters. Mark has integrity and respect for fans. The producing/writing team like to bait and then never deliver. Not going to be a good mix.

• Kat says:

I think Mark was the one who wanted to move on. From Cons its been rumored that Mark wasn’t a fan of Crowley’s role as mooning over Dean and playing hell’s administrative “King.” Not very challenging. I think he worked through his contract with good grace then moved on to more rewarding roles. I’m sure he loved working with J2+M, but good things come to an end.

• jair95 says:

If leaving was Mark’s idea, he wouldn’t be posting salty comments on his twitter or Instagram.

• Sarah says:

Unless he’s made it clear he does not want to return and doesn’t like the producers dangling false carrots under the fans noses. I’ve been a fan of Mark’s for a LONG time, back when he was making guest starring roles on Firefly and BSG. I don’t see him B.S.ing fans the way Supernatural’s show runners like to do.

• msrccl says:

I never thought he got the respect he deserved. There should have been all 4 if them in the “group” , not just the 3. He brought great entertainment, and a spark to the show. Sad.

• Tori Cashin says:

He wasn’t ‘teasing’ the fans. He’s told the fans he died in a certain episode every single season since he regularly started attending conventions as a season regular. Most fans disregarded this, knowing it was a joke. He did drop quite a few hints though.

6. Jackie says:

I don’t watch the show, but it was good of the actor to put a stop to the producers teasing and baiting. Producers do stuff like that all the time to string fans along, mislead and sometimes outright lie to keep fans hoping for something they know will never happen. Once Upon a Time producers are notorious for that.

• Joey says:

I don’t know why commenters here seem to assume that something negative happened between Sheppard and Michaels. Mark may have just been annoyed that Michaels was outright lying to fans about him possibly coming back when there was nothing currently in the works. Like you said, its extremely annoying that producers and writers think that they can constantly get away with lying to their fans.

• jair95 says:

I doubt anything happened specifically between Sheppard and Michaels. Michaels is on the production, not creative side. But Mark is salty with the show producers as a whole, so this break up has something going on behind the scenes.

• Joey says:

Nope, doesn’t pass the smell test to me. People are always too eager to find something that isn’t there.

• Andrea says:

I don’t watch Supernatural, so from a complete outsider’s point of view, Mark’s word choice and the overall tone of the tweet suggest that there indeed is some issue between these two men. The tone of the tweet is stern and the phrase “with all due respect” indicates that Mark clearly disagrees with what was said. Capitalizing NO and ANY are indications of extreme emphasis. I have no knowledge about Supernatural at all, and my first thought after reading the tweet was that these two men do not like each other or do not get along for some reason.

• Kat says:

I agree. At first death on SPN meant the stakes were high with deadly consequences. Now death means nothing if EVERYONE can come back. So let fans enjoy Crowley’s time on SPN and let’s move on.

• geegee says:

He also probably does not want every interview he gives in the future to start with the “When will you be back as Crowley” question, and instead focus on his current roles.

7. Fido says:

Id live this to be all part of a bait and switch plan, guy says he’ll never return, only to appear in a later ep…. The wow factor would be great.

8. Ninamags says:

As usual, the pacing of the last episode was horrible. Crowley’s death was lost in the flurry of all the other activity that was going on. Very disrespectful for a character that had been there for the past 8 years.

How about give us a minute or two to realize what he was saying, what he was about to do and what he ultimately did? He sacrificed himself to seal the devil in, only to see that it was going to be like freaking Grand CEntral STation with all the people coming in and out?

Mark was probably ticked off at the show runners with their “never say never” crap that the show runners have been spouting every single time they kill off a beloved character. He is probably as tired as we are of hearing that.

9. Red Snapper says:

Supernatural just won’t be the same. It

• Red Snapper says:

I accidentally hit post. It’s my favorite show. Every couple of years I go through and watch the whole series. I remember when Crowley was introduced, I loved him right away. The whole cast has such great chemistry. He will be missed but I understand him wanting to move on. I’ll always hold out hope that he’ll make the occasional appearance like Bobby.

10. He didn’t say Sheppard, he said CROWLEY. There’s a million ways to bring Crowley back with a different actor.

• DebG says:

I’m sorry, but Crowley played by anyone other than Mark Sheppard just won’t do!

• Coyote says:

I totally agree with you, sir. Mark is, was and will always be our Crowley.

• Cindy says:

I would be pissed if they brought Crowley back with a different actor than MS.. So would a bunch of others I think. I might like to see him come back as someone other than Crowley. Like a badass angel Maybe……. with some killer powers and an agenda. Plus I always hated when they killed off Charlie and Bobby, not Kevin though. I never liked Kevin..

• ninergrl6 says:

I thought the same thing. With the way demons can take possession of various bodies (Crowley himself was inside a rat!) there’s plenty of ways to keep the *character* without the same actor if the writers chose to go that route. It’s happened countless times on the show before.

• Mistwolf says:

I’m so glad someone pointed this out! That was my first thought when I read that. Sure, it’d be weird (like with Ruby: I never liked the 2nd Ruby but accepted that she was still the same demon), but it could be done

11. Jair says:

Good for Mark for being honest and stopping the baiting in its tracks. He truly gets fans and knows being strung along by the writers/producers just leads to even more bad feeling in the end. I don’t blame him at all for being salty. His character was written off in a crowded episode with no time for any emotion. To add salt to the wound, getting rid of Crowley for good meant getting of Rowena, and their arc was not brought to any kind of satisfying resolution. I was really annoyed at the lack of respect given to the character and to Mark by the show.

12. Jacob says:

I’m sad to see him go. I enjoyed Crowley quite a bit. I just hope we don’t perminantly lose Castiel either. I know Cass’s stories as of late might not be my favorite, but I was hoping for a better send off than getting stabbed in the back.

13. Dominique says:

good on him for calling out jim michaels. i truly despise whenever producers/writers bait fans about their favorite characters/pairings about things that will NEVER happen. and whatever happened with mark and supernatural (be it he left on his own accord or they let him go), i’m glad he made it clear straight away he’s not a fan of them baiting fans like this.

14. Rebecca Manley says:

I suspect there is more to Shephard’s leaving than meets the eye. He tweeted the other day that he would be attending many conventions in 2018, just not Creations ones. Am I the only one that finds that ominous?

• rowan77 says:

Announcing to his fans that they will have many chances to meet him all over the world dose not sound like a threat, but a reassurance to the SPN fans. I think he doesn’t like when the fans are being led on, which means for him lots and lots of the same question over and over, “…so are there any plans to being you back on the show?” He’s probably saving himself the headache of dealing with it.

• MB says:

I think you are right. That “specification” sounded like: “if you want to see me you can attend any Dr.Who conventions but don’t even try with the SPN ones…” Sad

15. Scotty says:

He was one of my favorite characters. This is my absolute favorite show I never miss an episode ,and could rewatch them all again and again. Honestly I was hoping to see Crowley and Dean throw down once more and see Crowley kick the crap outta Lucifer . It is what it is . It was a good way for him to go he gotta help save his buddy’s and gotta finally screw over Lucifer hopefully this one sticks as well as that angel blade. Who is gonna ride to the top of hell now,one of the other princes like all of em are dead.idk but Mark Sheppard your awesome man thanks so much for all the entertainment.loved it

16. jair95 says:

Oh, I agree that Mark doesn’t like fans being led on. He’s a straight shooter about things that matter. However, at the same time that he’s reassuring fans he’ll be at numerous different conventions, he’s also pulled out of the main US conventions dedicated to Supernatural (Creation), at which he has been one of the four headliners for several years and to which all the invited cast go. There’s a story here.

17. Nichole says:

Sad to see him go, hope he finds something new soon. If there is bad blood there I’m not surprised, as a series regular his character was not used much. Being tied to a full season regular then not having much to do must have been pretty frustrating.

18. Susan Young says:

Mark Sheppard was one of my four favorite characters on Supernatural. I am so very sad to know that he won’t be coming back.😢

19. Dawn says:

What’s up with Shepherd? Why so rude to Jim Michaels?Did they treat him badly?I can’t believe he’s leaving though..I loved the part he played. Misha better come back!!!

• Tori Cashin says:

The showrunners used the death of 2 fan favourite characters as a cheap plot device. Why is it cheap? Because we all automatically assumed they’d come back. Rather than tell a decent story, they went for hurting the fans. Mark is clearly sick of it. They have killed him off a few times, cut his arcs countless times and for an actor, as loved as Mark, he, sticking with a crappy albeit loved role on SPN holds him back from other things.

Misha will be back, Jared’s already confirmed it. But, I don’t know if you remember when it was leaked that DC wanted him for a movie and the showrunners decided to start with some Cas!Centric eps? They have great actors, they just don’t know how to write stories worthy of them.

20. K deissroth says:

The only way this would acceptable is if he were to become the new Dr.Who or the Master

21. Nancy Gordon says:

Did Mark have an issue with salary or lack of air time? Or was it just time to move on professional?

22. I love Mark Sheppard and I have so much respect for him. Thank you for being honest with the fans. Some of the producers are really tiring with the baiting and empty promises and I’m glad Mark spoke up. He knows how much fans care about the characters and he wasn’t about to let anyone lie to us. #linglivetheking

23. Claudia j says:

Mark. I just wanted to say “Thank you” for all the good times you have given us. I had hate you so many times; but I love you forever!!! Always be your fan!!!

24. JA Rogers says:

As per Mark Sheppard’s return to Supernatural; while Mark may have finished with the show, his character, Crowley, could indeed make it back into the series via another actor. Crowley is a demon, and therefore can inhabit most any body he wants. I’ll miss Sheppard, who is an actor of considerable talent and who really gave the Crowley character personality!

25. Bert Milton says:

I’m thinking we’ll see a new Cass in the alternate earth that Mary and Lucifer are trapped in. One more of an a-hole like “Soldier Cass” that pulled Dean from hell and burned out the eyes of the gypsy when they first introduced the character.

26. Jude says:

A simple fact…. Mark has a fairly new family. Perhaps he just wants to spend time watching his baby grow and enjoying time with his pretty. I’m sure he has money enough for that and his lovely wife is an Australian mining heiress. So enough with the dramatic conspiracy theories . Let our much-loved Crowley rest in peace…..

27. I thought for sure his soul had hopped into the rat that was scurrying around on the floor, while the camera looked away and all the characters looked away for what seemed like a silly long time. I mean, it seemed so contrived to me, but maybe it was a fake out? So the character might have survived, but the vessel got toasted, which would possibly mean a new actor for the role if he were to come back in a new vessel. Or the character is just dead.

Either way I don’t see any fans liking it.

28. david gosnay says:

No Crowley= we riot!!!
    The king of hell must return! The show will not be the same without him. I may have to boycott the show until he returns!

29. Ella says:

Yikes! What happened there??

30. Deb Thomas says:

My gripe is that this was Crowley – Crowley!! As if he would sacrifice himself. My indignation knows no bounds. So out of character its ridiculous.

31. MB says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO What happened???

32. Wendy says:

Mark sounds pissed that he’s off the show. How do you kill someone who is all ready dead, and do they go to the bad side of golf in heaven to be thrown in fire pit with our saten. Will casteal be Abel to hang out with him cuz he’s dead too.

33. mooshki says:

This is very sad. This season was my favorite in years, largely because the increased presence of Crowley brought more humor to balance out all the usual moping.

34. Mare says:

I can’t believe we are losing Mark Shepard’s Crowley for Mark Pelligrino’s way played out Lucifer. UGH! They are keeping the WRONG Mark and the WRONG demon!

35. Mark ‘s wife just had a baby recently. His Facebook feed was full of pics. I imagine he wants some time off to raise his kid? I doubt it is anything nefarious or rumor-worthy.

36. Karrie Hurst says:

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that something is wrong when you look at Mark Sheppard’s Instagram. You go to his followers and see that Jensen, Jared, and Misha have stopped following him yet he has not stopped following them. Will the truth be told to us loyal fans? Especially when I, myself was hoping to see Crowley come back.

37. Deb says:

It had something to do with Andrew Dabb. I read that but there were no details. I really love Mark as Crowley and hope they iron out their differences.

38. dawn says:

Mark aka Crowley. I GONNA MISS YOU SO MUCH!!!! They couldn’t have gotten a better Crowley. Love your voice and how u always helped Sam and Dean. Who’s gonna play drums at the comicons?

39. bo says:

i am going to miss the king of he double hockey sticks. he was a great character. I wish he would stay and to have him killed himself is an insult to Crowley. a king never falls on his own sword, never. and I am not surprise cass is still on the show. the show can never say no to Jensen’s man lover. I have nothing against lovers working together, I just think favoritism is a kick in the balls. the show wont be the same without Crowley.