Fall TV Preview
Law Order SVU Showrunner Season 19

SVU Season 19: Chicago Justice EP Is Procedural's New Showrunner

One of the original Law & Order showrunners is returning to helm SVU, TVLine has confirmed.

Michael Chernuchin, who most recently was an executive producer on NBC’s recently cancelled Chicago Justice, will be in charge when the Mariska Hargitay-led procedural returns for Season 19. The Hollywood Reporter first reported the news.

Chernuchin replaces Rick Eid, who was in charge for the just-wrapped Season 18 and who left to take over at Chicago P.D. in the wake of Matt Olmstead’s departure. Eid, in turn, replaced longtime show boss Warren Leight.

Chernuchin wrote for the original Law & Order and eventually became that series’ showrunner. He’s also worked on 24Black SailsRogue and Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

1. Ooooh…hopefully promising. I never watched Chicago Justice, so no clue as to the quality, but here’s hoping the show tightens up the “Law” side of the show, because even when they featured Barba, the writing for him was rather weak and too many cases had to be saved by St. Olivia.

2. Pat says:

I’m glad Rick Eid’s gone. He was disastrous! (Hope he doesn’t have the same affect on Chicago PD…..) But I hope the new showrunner does wonders for SVU. The current season was a snoozefest.

3. The Rookie says:

My favorite Law and Order is Criminal Intent. I liked the detective stores and the ingenuity of Goren. Could we get Eames back for a few episodes? I feel Liv needs an equal to provide her with perspective on how she deald with the job.

4. Tori Coop says:

Can they bring in a real ADA now?!

5. PatriciaLee says:

I liked The Forgotten. Rick Eid had something to do with that show. I hope Chicago PD doesn’t end up like SVU this past year, though. The husband keeps asking when Olivia is going to get a sergeant. He loved the last SVU episodes (not me, but I worked on my laptop, so no biggie.) So, maybe PD will not be ruined. Now, we liked Chicago Justice, so I hope some crime variety will happen in the plotting on SVU.

6. Someone who thinks says:

Used to like Law and Order SVU but the writers are so obviously mouthpieces for the DNC. Misleading about Trump’s ban on immigrants from specific countries…the sam ban put in place by BO, by the way, calling Trump a nut job in DC. Really? Like him or not, our country had to put up with BO, so get a grip. Will not watch this garbage again. I am not a Republican but I am an American.

7. HB says:

Thank god. This last season was AWFUL! Rick Eid doesn’t seem to know how to run a show, hopefully he doesn’t destroy Chicago PD too.

8. Rebecca Silvers says:

Just bring Eliot back 😁

9. Heather june johnson says:

Picture plants are indigenous to newfoundland and labrador, canada.🤗