Twin Peaks Ratings Showtime

Ratings: Twin Peaks Premiere Soft Despite Record Showtime Sign-Ups

It is (not quite) happening again.

Sunday’s two-hour premiere of the Twin Peaks revival on Showtime brought in an audience of 506,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demo, our sister site Deadline reports.

Those numbers put it behind this Sunday’s other premium cable series such as HBO’s The Leftovers (which nabbed 770,000 viewers) and Starz’s American Gods (which brought in 631,000 pairs of eyeballs).

Update: With replays and On Demand/streaming folded in, Twin Peaks‘ premiere audience reached 1.1 million.

When the quirky drama premiered on ABC in 1990, it brought in an audience of 34 million.

Twin Peaks‘ numbers are soft, given that anticipation for the revival’s premiere led the premium cabler to both its single biggest day and weekend of signups ever.

“In the world that we live in now, offering original programming that attracts new subscribers is our primary business objective,” Showtime Networks president David Nevins said in a statement. “By that standard, the Twin Peaks premiere is the biggest single-night driver we’ve ever had.”

1. Wrstlgirl says:

I didn’t watch it but my boss did and he hated it, lol.

2. Jennifer says:

Can you let us know if this (Twin Peaks) was the Blind Item? Thanks!

• Liz Lemon says:

It’s critically praised! It isn’t the blind item!!!

• Et al says:

95% on rotten tomatoes. The “critic” here is one of the few who didn’t like it.

• Stu says:

Yes people need to knock it off. This show is for the fans, and the David Lynch lovers. They can hate it all they want it’s not for everyone but for us hardcore fans it was everything it was suppose to be. Bandwagon jumpers can look elsewhere.

3. Et al says:

The premiere definitely wasn’t for people who need their television to be simple.

4. Ken says:

Wow. I was execting a way bigger audience. It actually doesn’t make sense considering they had record number of people signing up for Showtime and the app, and then no one watches?

5. Ausiello is the only critic who didn’t like it. I keep thinking about the premiere and how it must have been such a tricky balancing act. On the one hand, they needed to address loose threads, reintroduce the world and also introduce the new direction for the season. On the other hand, they couldn’t sacrifice the deliberate pacing and slow, dreamlike worldbuilding that defined the show originally. Sure, they could’ve done something more straightforward and action-packed for the premiere but that would compromise the integrity of the show. As it is, I loved it and I’m glad Lynch didn’t feel the need to water it down for the sake of making it accessible to new audiences. This revival is a love letter to fans and Twin Peaks fans are nothing if not patient. Really looking forward to the next episodes!

6. Mike says:

LOL – it’s a stinkbomb. I knew it would be.

7. Billy Bob Johnson says:

With David Lynch, you cannot just look at the surface. His work is layered, and very deep. The first time I watched ‘Blue Velvet’, I thought he was a seriously ill man. After the third viewing, it all connected. There are 18 episodes and I’m sure it will come together by the end.

• Susie says:

Just like Laura Palmer’s murder investigation… oh wait.

• Mark says:

After a comment like that, I’m sure you are a David Lynch fan! Eyeroll……You’ve been caught Suz!

• Susie says:

I adore The Elephant Man, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and Dune, among others. I think the first season of Twin Peaks is amazing, but hate most of the second season and Fire Walk With Me. One can be a fan of a director and style without loving every single thing he has done — I have no intention of following his work blindly and loving everything he does simply because he did it.

• Squealer says:

You’re aware that David Lynch said the second season sucked, right?

8. ZinniQ says:

I didn’t watch the first, I will to be watching this.

9. Mike says:

The First 4 episodes were up for Showtime subscribers to watch on demand, a lot of fans who signed up watched all 4 rather than just the 2 that premiered on Showtime, which is why the ratings showed up lower despite the signups. I love Twin Peaks, but the first 2 episodes were lots of exposition and setup and very little payoff. I could certainly see any viewer giving up, which would be a mistake. I think the 3rd episode ends where the premier should have and loved where things went with the 4th episode, aside from Michael Cera’s character who made me roll my eyes. After episodes 3 and 4 air together Sunday, Twin Peaks will start airing single episodes on June 4th that based upon the wording in Showtime’s advertising, won’t already be on demand. You’ll get a truer sense of ratings at that point.

10. Michael Summerset says:

Some of that has to do with many people who watched the original series not getting Showtime. And some of it has to do with all the season finales of the regular TV shows going on right now. A lot of people will be watching it over the summer.

• Anne says:

Ya, we’re saving it to watch over the summer. The network should have waited another two weeks until all the other shows had ended

11. Tomm Huntre says:

Were those numbers total for the night or the first time slot airing?? I mean, Showtime ran the show 3 or 4 times during the night and later on one of their ‘sub channels’. Let’s wait til ALL the numbers come in.

12. Josephine says:

Twin peaks is the best show so far I watched!!!

13. ScottJ says:

This is a show in which logs talk and people can be turned into door knobs, and some viewers still think they’ll be able to understand it. Its a viewer’s journey, its psychological horror, its metaphor. Some things will eventually be made clear. Or not.

Getting Cooper out of the Black Lodge was never going to be easy, and with that sort of dealt with the show still needs a story-line to drive it forward. It couldn’t just park a camera in the centre of the town, even though people would probably still watch that for a while.

14. ERIK M. GORDON says:

When it premiered it was one of a handful of shows on at the time. With books and videos to compete for an audience.

15. TV Gord says:

I watched the first two episodes in silence and without knowing what to make of it. Then, I re-watched them right away and got so much more out of them the second time. I guess I just needed to get in the groove.

I won’t make any judgments on people who loved it or hated it. The insults being hurled here are just childish. I will only say that I’m glad I (reluctantly) signed up for a channel I won’t really watch otherwise, and I’m looking forward to seeing the remaining episodes.

16. Judson says:

The show sucked big time. Maybe the “fan” base liked it, but I think it’s more likely they just want to be a part of something that the main stream will hate. That’s alright, they paid their money.

17. Carol_R says:

I’m not surprised it had disappointing ratings. The original series started super strong and then massively collapsed and bled most of their viewers in its 2nd season so that it was cancelled in its 2nd season. I remember liking it a lot when it first aired but then quit watching it even before the series ended. If they had left it as a mini-series or short 1 season series it would have been better. The premise didn’t lend itself as working as a extended series.

I expect that there was a lot of curiosity from younger viewers who never watched it due to it being well known and a phenomena from decades ago. But I expect most to drop it after actually seeing an episode or two.

• Meghan MacLean says:

Exactly! I started watching a few re-runs right before the premiere and so I got intrigued. In the 90’s I was just a kid and had never even heard of this show. But now, alot of people are talking about it again so I gave it a chance. I have absolutely no idea what’s going on though lol. I actually was disturbed by the first 2 premiere episodes. It’s just too much work to try and figure out! But hey, I will definitely have to watch the rest of the new episodes because I am hooked and I can’t quite figure out why 😂

18. Tanya says:

Seriously? I just got done with episode 5. it SUCKS.