Gilmore Girls Video: Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel Talk Possibility of Second Revival, Reflect on Baby Twist

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life made its Netflix debut six long months ago and Lauren Graham still has not seen a single frame of the four-part revival. And she has no desire to remedy that anytime soon.

“As a rule, I don’t find it helpful to watch myself in anything,” Lorelai’s portrayer confessed to me last month at Deadline’s The Contenders Emmy event in Los Angeles (video of which is now available above). “I will give it a good 10 years and then maybe I’ll check it out. As an actor, [whenever] I’ve watched myself it just makes me feel self-conscious. It doesn’t help me do a better job.”

Also in the Q&A, Graham and co-star Alexis Bledel shared their markedly divergent opinions about those infamous final four words (the former loved it, the latter loved it less), before weighing in on the subject of a second revival. “Now it’s become what can we [still] do with this story that’s satisfying, that [makes it] worth continuing, that will be gratifying to the people who care so much about it,” Graham said. “I don’t know if there’s a need to do more. I would never want it to feel like we overstayed our welcome.”

Press PLAY above and then hit the comments with your thoughts on Gilmore Girls: Another Year in the Life

1. Van says:

If they do it,
    No more stunt casting
    More stars hallow townsfolk
    Less rory being a horrible person
    More jess
    Emily was the only good arc this time

2. Bonnie W says:

I so looked forward to the revival and found it disappointing. Amazing performances, yes, and it was great seeing the old characters again, but the plot and the character assassination of Rory ruined it. I’ll stick to season seven which ended on a high note.

• Bonnie W says:

That being said, of course I’d watch a sequel because I love all those people and hopefully Amy would give us a happy ending this time.

• jj says:

I disagree about the character assassination of Rory. I find the characterization of Rory in the revival was quite true to the character of Rory in the original series. I think some of the others characters and many of the fans have this idealized version of Rory in their head. But Rory has always been a flawed character and that’s what made her an interesting character. When it came to relationships she was a complete mess, and still is. When it came to school/career, she was always high strung and prone to breakdowns. The strength of the character is how she would pick herself back up. Just like we saw in the revival, she was struggling career wise, and turned it around by writing a book. I think if people would look past their idealized version of Rory, they would see that Rory is a much stronger and interesting character because of her flaws.

• Cas says:

Stronger because of her mess of a life? I guess. I have no idealized version of Rory. I have always seen how she makes a lot of mistakes as we all do. But when you hit 30, if your relationships are a mess and dysfunctional you may want to seek help Because clearly you haven’t grown up.

• eliane says:

I couldn’t agree more. I will always remember Rory jumping on a bus to follow Senator Obama.

• Kim R says:

I have to agree. I enjoyed seeing the characters again but was really disappointed in what they did with Rory. And by the video above, I’d say Alexis was as well.

3. Lucy says:

Sorry. I’ll never forgive Amy for using Logan like a tool just to have Rory pregnant in the end.

• Cas says:

Agreed!

• anon says:

This. Logan grew in season 7 just like Rory did. Amy might not have been involved with that season, but that didn’t mean she could act like a giant baby and pretend it didn’t happen. The series finale had a Logan not wanting to follow his father’s footsteps and as the commenters above mentioned, a Rory who was going off to report on the Obama campaign. She made zero connections there? I doubt that.

• Gern Blanston says:

This is such a weak argument. It would make sense if A Year in the Life took place two weeks after the finale but, it took place ten years after the season 7 finale. ASP could have written anything and it wouldn’t have been a betrayal of the characters because there was ten years of character development that we were not privy to. She could have made Logan a serial killer driven mad by Rory’s rejection and it would have made sense since all we as the viewers know is what the writers tell us. Just because Logan was one thing when he was 23-24 doesn’t mean that he didn’t become a royal scumbag in the intervening years. These characters, like people in real life, aren’t static. They continue to change over time even if we aren’t watching.

• Lucy says:

Come on. The only reason Logan had to act like he did it’s because Amy needed to have her full circle finale so he could become Rory’s Christopher. There was no writing effort in that story-arc and there was no explanation about how and when the characters changed. That was not good storytelling.

• Gern Blanston says:

What needed to be explained? Things weren’t working out for him financially at the end of season 7 so, eventually he accepted a job offer from his dad. He wasn’t over Rory so when she leaned on him he let her and they started sleeping together. It’s not like it was a real complex story to fill in the blanks. People that are Logan superfans are just looking for a reason to complain. They are even exagerating his season 7 growth to fit this narrative. He was still lying to Rory and shutting her out of his life up until the end of season 7 but, hee came clean at the very end so somehow he had this great growth? That’s just being revisionist.

• Lucy says:

@Gern Blanston There was no need to fill the gap because Amy didn’t give a damn about Logan and Rory relationship. She just wanted Rory pregnant in the end and whatever could fit that scenario was written in the revival. It’s good when there’s something left to viewer’s imagination. Not so much when everything about a character or a relationship is written like that. It’s mostly shallowness. Everything about Rory and Logan was just a pretext to end the show like Amy wanted, everything with little consideration for the characters involved. And Logan fans were rightly pissed off because the character was just turned into a tool to forward a finale which was conceived 9 years before even if it didn’t fit anymore.

• Gern Blanston says:

He wasn’t turned into a tool. He was created by ASP as a tool to the endgame that she wanted. He was a tool for her from day one. Logan fans just read it wrong and are now upset because they were wrong in what they want him to be versus what he always was from the start.

• Tressa says:

How can Logan be Rory’s Christopher when there not kid’s?

• Lucy says:

She erased all Logan’s S7 development and gave him the worst ending ever just because Rory had to end up pregnant in the finale. She simple showed that she didn’t give a damn about the character and that whatever happened to him in OS was not relevant because his only purpose was to get Rory’s pregnant and then vanish.

• No, actually she gave Jess the worst ending tbh Jess grew up to be a decent guy, something we already knew by the end of the original series and ASP gave us NOTHING between those two, which would be fine with me if only she didn’t have to show Jess pining for Rory at the end. Rory isn’t worth pining over imo & Jess deserved better. Dean got the best ending of all of Rory’s love interests and both Logan & Jess were messed with, just in different ways. If there is a 2nd revival….count me out!

4. KT says:

Omg.. it would be awsome to have the show back on the air. We need a great show like that one back on the air. Please more episodes!!!

5. Dove says:

Definitely would LOVE Gilmore Girls ANOTHER YEAR IN THE LIFE!! I think the Rory story line really needs to be finalized… we need to see how everybody in Star Hollows just winds up especially Luke..Lorelai..Rory..??… Baby..

6. Julie says:

I loved the Year In The Life! I definitely want more! I have always loved the Gilmore Girls show. It’s part of my life for so many years when it aired. I could come home and enjoy watching my favorite show! I could never get enough!

7. parstl says:

Promos already?! The producers of GG must have “pictures” on somebody at TV Line. Geez!

8. Anna says:

DO MORE. I feel like Netflix would pay them all double just to do it again. It was a huge event!
    I want to see where Rory goes, what kind of mother she is, and how Emily reacts

9. Virginia Beck says: