Saturday Night Live: Sasheer Zamata Leaving After 4 Seasons

Apparently, things do come in threes.

Sasheer Zamata, who’s been a Saturday Night Live cast member for the past four seasons, will not return to the late-night sketch comedy series when it returns this fallEntertainment Tonight reports.

Word of Zamata’s exit comes just hours after SNL‘s Season 42 finale hosted by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, which also served as the final episode for fellow repertory players Bobby Moynihan (who is set to star in the new CBS comedy Me, Myself & I) and Vanessa Bayer.

Zamata first joined SNL in 2014, amid controversy over the lack of African-American women in the cast following the departure of longtime cast member Maya Rudolph in 2007. In her four seasons, Zamata perfected impressions of Rihanna, Michelle Obama and Diana Ross, just to name a few.

Are you saddened by the news that Sasheer Zamata is leaving SNL? Even more surprised that the show didn’t find some way to acknowledge her departure as part of this weekend’s finale? Sound off below.

1. Oran says:

That’s a bummer, I really liked her.

2. Robyn says:

Saddened, yes, but excited for her future opportunities. I don’t believe the writers were giving her the attention she was due, but SNL certainly helped her make a name for herself. She will flourish.

3. Dude says:

I like Sasheer a lot but SNL is such an impression heavy show and she was never very good at impressions.

4. Kevin Tran says:

Very sad about Sasheer Zamata’s departure on SNL. Another year to cast feature players if it takes at least three.

5. iHeart says:

that’s a shame, I really liked her Chief impressions. so I guess this means Melissa and the other two featured players are going to get promoted. At least we still have Leslie Jones

6. Maria says:

I really liked Sasheer, but I’d be lying if I said they’ve utilized her properly. She’s got a lot more she could do and they just didn’t use her as much as they could have. I wish her luck, I’ll be looking out for her.

(And yeah, a little miffed she didn’t get acknowledged, though she actually was more visible last night than normal, too)

7. Dizzle says:

Such a shame, I think she had a lot more she could bring to the table. Writing was on the wall though, she’s barely been onscreen this whole season.

8. Max says:

… and yet Kenan Thompson lingers on.

9. dsrbroadway says:

I like her, but I can’t say I’d miss her on the show. She was fine as the straight woman, but rarely had any winning moments of her own.

10. webly3 says:

SNL never used her well. It’s actually embarrassing. They lost a great talent with her gone.

11. padraicjacob says:

4 years seems like a short run. Isn’t that mid-contract for the regular cast? Wonder what led to her exit if that’s the case.

Each exit has been more of a bummer this year. Wasn’t a huge fan of Bobby Moynihan. But liked some of Vanessa Bayer’s characters. Sasheer Zamata is the one I’ll miss the most.

12. Mike Waldron says:

Sasheer was my favorite cast member and I wish that they gave her more sketches and gave her the respect that was deserved. I wish her the best for the future and I will be her number one fan for whatever comes her way.

13. dan says:

I noticed that she was crying during the closing credits and that Leslie Jones was hugging her. I just thought she was sorry the season ended! The show never used her properly, but she was more visible in the back half of this season. I saw she was on Match Game last week (which I think was filled many months ago), so hopefully she’ll still be getting work in the future.

14. Josh Emerson says:

Really disappointed about her and Vanessa Bayer leaving. Both were great and certainly far from the worst on the show (are they really going to let Melissa Villasenor stay on the show?!)

15. I'm right You're Wrong says:

“In her four seasons, Zamata perfected impressions of Rihanna, Michelle Obama and Diana Ross, just to name a few.”

Perfected? Really?

She brought nothing to the show. She was an affirmative action hire. Nothing else. If the Social Justice Warriors hadn’t rattled their sabres you never would have heard of her.

You’ll never hear from her again.

• Melissa says:

Not to elevate this idiot by responding, but I will never understand how “social justice warrior” became a pejorative. Isn’t fighting for social justice a good thing? I mean, that was kind of Jesus’ whole deal, wasn’t it? Not to mention MLK, and Ghandi, and Mother Teresa, and, you know, most of the people worth admiring in history.

But anyway, to get back on subject, I don’t really watch SNL, but I’d surmise that all the commenters here being saddened by Zamata’s departure would indicate that she did, in fact, bring something to the show, rendering the stupid comment I’m replying to moot anyway.

• Fabrizia says:

The title “Social Justice Worrior” indicates that the a person is a lunatic that is so preoccupied with PC points that he/she/they/ze/non binary essence will gladly disregard logic to get what he/she/ze etc. wants.
        Zamata was a diversity hire and wasn’t a good fit for the program. Since Jones took the position of the famous black woman on the show she had to rely on her skills to shine and she couldn’t. Firing her was a good decision.

• I'm right You're Wrong says:

I love when liberals, who are atheists, try to say that Jesus was a SJW. LOL!

• JJ LIONS says:

Sasheer wasn’t very personable nor were her impressions memorable. Someone said she was shy, but I found her to be arrogant. She didn’t seem that she even wanted to be on SNL.

16. knd says:

No shock, she was totally underutilized. She deserves better.

17. Juke says:

Kind of cold she didn’t get any kind of farewell.

18. Tk says:

They need to replace everyone else and the writers as well. That show is such a lame stink fest compared to what it once was.

19. leo says:

She’s not funny! Probably because she seems too shy.

20. Robert45 says:

I’m surprised but happy that Kate McKinnon has decided to stay on. Of all the cast you would think that the world would be her oyster and she could move on.

21. datdudemurphy says:

Man….this one hurts more than the other 2, imo.
    I thought she was great.

22. Marka says:

Perfected???? She wasn’t great. I saw this coming and I hope Melissa V follows.

23. Sarah says:

This is a bummer. This is a dumb thing to notice, but this woman had the best reactions to the insanity happening around her. Like I would be laughing at a ridiculous line said by another cast member then they would pan to Sasheer, and her reaction was so hilarious and spot on that I would laugh 10 times harder. A great example of this just happened this past Saturday in the sketch about the Cartier fidget spinner after Vanessa Bayer says, “There’s nobody good here.” Funny line, but the face Sasheer made took it to another level.

24. pickles says:

She was ok. It’s a shame she was a has to Like we have to have a black person. We probably missed out on someone spectacular because they didn’t fit the requirement.