SNL Finale Highlights: David Pumpkins Returns in Farewell Episode for Bobby Moynihan and Vanessa Bayer

… And Drunk Uncle and Jacob the Bar Mitzvah Boy lived happily ever after.

This weekend, Saturday Night Live not only wrapped its highest-rated season in 20-plus years, but it also said goodbye to veteran repertory players Bobby Moynihan and Vanessa Bayer. What’s more, Baywatch star Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson was inducted into the Five Timers’ Club — and chose Tom Hanks as his 2020 presidential running mate.

The big announcement came following a rather peculiar cold open, as the late-night series parodied itself by having Alec Baldwin’s President Donald Trump and Scarlett Johansson’s Ivanka sing “Hallelujah,” just as Kate McKinnon’s Hillary Clinton did after last November’s election. (Watch it here.)

Unlike, say, Kristen Wiig, neither Bayer nor Moynihan got a fancy end-of-show farewell, but were on hand for some of the finale’s funniest moments. Among the highlights…

WEEKEND UPDATE
Jacob the Bar Mitzvah Boy was inexplicably MIA. Instead, Bayer’s final turn on Update was as mumbling meteorologist Dawn Lazarus. Moynihan, however, did not disappoint, putting in one final appearance as Trump supporter Drunk Uncle, who vowed to “Make America Drunk Again.” (The only way this could’ve been better was if Drunk Uncle had been introduced to Hanks’ Black Jeopardy contestant, but we’ll save that for our fan-fiction.)

CARTIER
In perhaps the funniest commercial since the Ivanka perfume ad, Bayer portrayed an anxious, dimwitted partygoer whose boyfriend managed to distract her by gifting her a diamond-encrusted fidget spinner.

WWE PROMO SHOOT
The Rock reprised his role as Koko WatchOut, whose insults hurled towards Trashyard Mutt (Moynihan) once again hit far too low beneath the belt. In just under five minutes, he had hilariously reduced his competitor to tears, taking aim at his weight, fertility and crumbling marriage.

RAP SONG
Hanks returned as David S. Pumpkins (or rather, David S. Pimpkins) in this can’t-miss short. The pre-taped bit featured pretty much the entire cast (as well as musical guest Katy Perry) playing an uncanny number of rappers, all taking part on one track. Unclear why Moynihan played “Skiffle,” though, when they could have just as easily had him play Riblet.

What were your favorite sketches of the night? And what missed the mark? Grade the Season 42 finale via our poll, then hit the comments and make your picks.

1. Patrick says:

The fact that 1-2 skits wrote themselves due to the election and DT Presidency to date, it freed up the writers to work on other bits. Making for great comedy. It isn’t perfect, but it is very good.
    Side note: Is Katy Perry having a midlife crises? Between the hair and the horrible music, I am worried for her. For reals.

• Jo Garret says:

Yes, yes and YES!!!! lol your comment is 100%!
      I’m gonna miss Vanessa and Bobby so much, glad they went out on high notes. Katy Perry was my least favorite part of the night. The featured players, can all three go away next season. The cast is huge already…..and I cant stand them, especially Melissa. I’m fine with Keenan staying, just get rid of the three featured cast.

2. Evan says:

I suspect Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney are gone as well with that last skit.

• JK says:

One can only hope. I have never like Kyle, going backto his Kyle on the street bits he did , years ago. I could take or leave Beck, but since the 2 were hired as writing partners, I’m sure they will leave together.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

No, those two are staying. Bennett actually does have talent. Mooney, on the other hand, must have compromising pictures of somebody important at NBC.

3. jbj says:

SNL has been suspiciously inconsistent with its farewells to longtime castmembers for awhile. Kristen Wiig’s goodbye was so extremely flattering that it just added to my suspicion that she was Lorne’s mistress at some point (yeah she’s funny, but not proportionately to the kind of screentime she was getting and her marriage did fall apart right before she went mainstream).

It was hard to tell, but it did seem like the tribute was implying the Beck and Kyle were leaving, too. It isn’t unheard of for cast members to wait to announce their decision. If I recall, Jason Sudeikis was unusually emotional during Kristen’s tribute (which made me wonder at the time), but it wasn’t until weeks later that he officially announced his decision to move on.

4. Nothing about The World’s Most Evil Invention? That had me rolling. It seemed so lame until it took THAT turn and then it was…I laughed so loud I scared my dog.

5. Aeol says:

The Rock is a likable guy with a lot of enthusiasm who just tries too hard sometimes, and it can make his SNL characters a little sloppy. Sometimes he just needs to slow down. The KoKo Watchout skit is an example of that for me. I think his best performances – not necessarily the best sketches – were the Evil Inventors Awards and the Old Tymey movie set. He lacks the polish of a five timer IMO.

6. Tom says:

I continue to not understand the fascination with David Pumpkins

7. Joey Padron says:

Season finale was good and funny. Good cameos from some of fan favorite hosts. Happy Bobby play Drunk Uncle one last time. It was good surprise to see Tom Hanks play David S. Pumpkins again. Gonna miss Bobby and Vansessa so much on the show next season.

8. Edna de la Cruz says:

Xentrex commercial was way funnier than the fidget spinner one!

9. Kevin Tran says:

I give it an A. One of the best season finales of SNL in years. Really going to miss Bobby Moynihan and Vanessa Bayer on the show. Season 42 is one of SNL’s best and I give kudos to the three feature players in Mikey Day, Alex Moffat and Melissa Villasenor this entire season. Hope Alec Baldwin doesn’t come back as President Trump next season if it does but they ran out of ideas on which cast member should play POTUS. I’m really looking forward to the Weekend Update series starting August 10th.

10. Morisot says:

Let’s see…you think that a robot that was designed to molest children… and that the girls in the bar are only willing to do3-somes or 5-somes… are funny?

• Mike says:

Yup…. I was crying personally….

The evil scientist sketch started very slowly and poorly (maybe it was played that way purposely..), but as soon as Johnson came on with his almost schoolteacher like persona, it just worked perfectly… was the subject matter difficult to digest, quite possibly so.. but there was a clear level of comedy (in both the writing and delivery) there…

As for the awkward guy at the bar with the wingman / barman… how could you not laugh!!

11. Morisot says:

A skit about inventing a robot that abuses children and another skit where the girls in the bar only want 3-somes or 5-somes….. and people think this was great?

12. Lee Adam says:

I laughed pretty much through the entire show, but the World’s Most Evil Invention brought it (for me) to a crashing halt. I don’t know if it was an acting choice, but Dwayne’s monotone delivery made it seem like his heart just wasn’t in the sketch. Yes, I understand that it was satire and people DID laugh (albeit it seemed more nervous laughter until the White Castle reveal). But I just don’t think comedy that involves child molestation is particularly funny.

All that being said, I didn’t think I would ever laugh at fart jokes again. But the movie sketch had me crying.