RuPaul's Drag Race Recap

Drag Race Shocker: Which Forgetful Frontrunner Was Sent Packing?

When it comes to the latest RuPaul’s Drag Race elimination, it’s not so much the who that has us baffled, but the how and why.

At this point in the competition, the remaining seven queens have all proven themselves worthy of the crown, which means one wrong move — even by a supposed frontrunner — is all it takes to get eliminated. And on Friday’s episode, Valentina made all the wrong moves.

Not even Guadalupe could save the hot mess of a pilot she put together with Nina Bo’nina Brown — this week’s other member of the bottom two — as part of a challenge to see which queens would rule the small screen. Their show, in which two (framed?) prostitutes turn their lives around and become drag queens, was so nonsensical and unfinished, Michelle Visage couldn’t help but ask them, “Do you think maybe a script would have helped?”

Indeed, a script would have helped. But you know what would have been even more useful? A teleprompter for Valentina, who straight-up didn’t know the words to Ariana Grande’s “Greedy,” this week’s battle song. (I mean, no one knows that song, but if I had to sing it on TV, you bet your padding I’d learn it.)

Even worse, Valentina tried to get away with wearing a damn scarf to cover her mouth! It took RuPaul stopping the music and scolding her (“We need to see your lips. … What part of that do you not understand?”) in order for her to remove the scarf. At that point, Nina could have practically walked off stage and still won the battle, but she still gave it her damn all — possibly to prove to all those naysayers (whoever they may be) that she deserves to remain in the competition.

With tears in her eyes, Valentina, once favored to win it all, sashayed away in seventh place.

Additional thoughts…

* How awkward was it to watch guest judge Noah Galvin critique the queens’ pilots mere days after his own ABC comedy, The Real O’Neals, was cancelled. (I know he filmed this way before that happened, but it’s still unfortunate timing.)

* Quick casting question: Not that it really matters, but wouldn’t it have made more sense for the pit-crew members to swap parts if they were playing Peppermint and Alexis Michelle’s sons in this pilot?

* And speaking of that sketch, when did Alexis turn into the villain? (I’m thinking some of that Wicked Witch body paint from last week seeped into her pores. That’s got to be it.)

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Valentina’s elimination? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Joey says:

To answer your question, Alexis turned into a villain, for me at least, when she blamed the other queens for her lackluster fur look on Untucked back for the Kardashian musical episode.
    For the record, if I was on the panel, I would’ve pushed for Valentina to be safe and have dour Alexis lip sync with Nina, at least that way we likely would have rid ourselves of Alexis.

• Van says:

Yup. And nina too

• Adam says:

Yeah, that is the exact moment Alexis became the irredeemable villain, but I thought she was obnoxious since the start. And her looks are always super basic and then she just paints her body a different color expecting that to be unique enough to make it look impressive, but it’s not. I’m so done with her.

2. I was gagged. The mask moment is gonna be more iconic than the last two seasons combined.

3. fernando933 says:

This sucks man now Shea has to really win this everyone else isn’t the right person to win

• Joey says:

Funny thing is, I don’t really like Trinity, but honestly I think that in terms of talent, she, Sasha or Shea could all win from what I’ve seen. I really love Peppermint and would love to see her go as far as possible but I think the top three are set in stone.

4. Beth says:

My daughter and I are so sad over this we are in tears! We love you Valentina and are going to miss seeing you and all your talent on the show. Walk with your head held high you are beautiful inside and out!

5. drag diva says:

I need a Kenya Michaels season 4 unexpected return for Valentina. i cant i cant i cant.

6. Spence says:

So agree about Alexis! I was really loving her a few weeks ago, and now I can’t stand her…

7. donna says:

I was really hoping that that cry baby Nina bonina what ever would go home. I’m so tired of his “POOR ME, EVERYBODY IS AGAINST ME!” Attitude. Take that pity party that no one wants to be invited to & go home!

• Chris says:

You have to wonder since Ru saves Nina every week if the two of them aren’t doing something off camera…

8. Stephanie says:

Devasted OMG i loved Valentina and thought she was definitely going to pull a Tyra!!! Hoping Rupaul gave a second chance to this beautiful person on another note Nina was stunning #lipsyncforyourlife

9. That will go in history as one of the most memorable lip syncs and not for good reasons. It will show how you can be a top star but if you don’t know your lyrics you go home and lip sync is more important than the challenge. I love Nina – yes, she is a cry baby and loves to play victim, but she is one of the most creative drag queens ever and deserves her place. Don’t forget how pity and crybaby Phi Phi was and she went to the finals. Pearl was also a shoe-in for elimination a couple of times and she was top 3 as well. My prediction now that Valentina is gone for top 3 is Nina, Shae and Sasha. Next week challenge is make-over – soo Peppermint and Alexis will most likely be bottoms as their make-up skills are a bit lackluster…

10. JJ. says:

Untucked was really sad but after that lip sync there was no way valentina could have stayed. Not only did she not know the words but she was pretty much pulling a charlie hides and staying in one spot. Had she done *something* I think there is a real possibility she might have stayed

11. Chris says:

I’m shocked about this week, Valentina has been near perfect every week and Nina well Nina is Debbie downer. Continues to always be near the bottom but is always saved, I agree Valentina really f*** up, but going against Nina is a no brainer since Nina always wins no matter how bad it is. This week should have been Alexis and Nina for elimination, but maybe it was because Valentina has been so perfect that they took her out of the picture.

12. Kellie Stewart says:

Alexis was supposed to be green with envy.

13. keeper says:

I think Alexis should of been the one Lip Sync with Nina. As many times as she has been saved on this show. Not sure why. And further more Alexis tried to throw her team mates under the bus. Valentina has awesome ideals in regards to her drag and she’s beautiful. Nina bone on your chest.. Girl bye……..Judges got it wrong….