Bill O'Reilly Fired

Roger Ailes Dead: Bill O'Reilly Breaks Silence, Says 'Hatred Killed Him'

Just hours after Roger Ailes’ death was confirmed Thursday, recently ousted Fox News host Bill O’Reilly penned a tribute to his onetime boss, defending Ailes against the backlash he received in life.

“The list of legendary Americans whom Roger helped is long and impressive,” O’Reilly wrote in a USA Today op-ed. “From Ronald Reagan to George Bush, the elder, to Rush Limbaugh, Ailes gave them all blunt advice that led them to success. And it was that bluntness that made his life difficult, as enemies accumulated — some armed with a brutal hatred.”

After detailing his working relationship with Ailes over the years (“When stuff hit the fan… Roger had my back.”), O’Reilly bemoaned society’s technological advances that have caused hatred to be “almost celebrated in some quarters.”

“Roger Ailes experienced that hatred and it killed him,” he continued. “That is the truth. But he would not want to be remembered that way. He did both good and bad in his life and in that, he has something in common with every human being.”

Of course, Ailes and O’Reilly have both been the subject of controversy in recent months. Ailes — who died from complications from a blood clot — resigned from Fox News last July after former network anchor Gretchen Carlson filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against her ex-boss, which resulted in a settlement of $20 million. It was later reported that Megyn Kelly, who has also since left Fox News, told independent investigators at 21st Century Fox that Ailes had made unwanted sexual advances toward her during her early years as a correspondent.

O’Reilly was officially dismissed from the network on April 19, after it was reported that Fox had paid out more than $13 million to settle five separate sexual harassment lawsuits against him. The host was let go after more accusers came forward, and dozens of companies dropped their ads from The O’Reilly Factor.

1. Gina says:

OF COURSE he said this.

2. Kate says:

Hatred did kill him. His own. Being that vile of a person is toxic. Good riddance.

3. dude says:

Isn’t that what Fox News specializes in?

4. Haukmoor says:

Beat me to it and exactly.

5. raddadtone says:

Either he’s tone deaf on how ironic these statements are or he knows and just doesn’t give a crap about the vileness Ailes spread while running Fox News seeing as he was on the front lines

• raddadtone says:

Either way, I wish Bill O’Reilly would fall into a hole somewhere

• Andrew says:

He did. It’s called “The Factor Online” (his podcast).
        Does anyone think he’s getting even a quarter of his TV viewers following him on his website? Most of them are too old to even operate a computer let alone figure out how to find his podcast.

• Mark Keller says:

As soon as he left Fox News I signed up as a premium member for his Pod Cast. If you all think Fox is bad, look at MSN and CNN for biased reporting.

6. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Gee, what a surprising and shocking statement from O’Reilly. Pffffttttt. Of course he had your back. Two peas in a pod. Haters didn’t kill him, his guilt killed him. It won’t kill you because you have no guilt feelings, or any kind of feelings.

7. Paul K says:

I wondered which Fox News loser would be the first to blame his victims. Not surprised it was his kindred harassing spirit. If this is actually true – Ladies, would you please focus your powers on Bill next? Then Hannity! K, thanks, byeee.

• n says:

I thought that Bill O’Reilly had one of the better shows on Fox, or any other channel. I learned an awful lot from him, and, I miss his being on the air! Bring him back! I believe a lot of people don’t like Fox News, but, that is one of only 4 shows that I watch.

8. Steven says:

Then I’m surprised hatred hasn’t killed him yet too.

9. Really? says:

Really? Hatred made him fall and hit his head? No one pushed him, gravity did us all a favor, good riddance pervert.

10. Ray says:

“Hatred killed him”? If you spread it, you have to deal with it coming at you too. That’s karma.

11. Piers says:

Seems as though Ailes isn’t the only one who fell and hit his head.

12. JB says:

How dare people hate someone for groping others without consent? I mean who thinks this is ok behavior. Oh wait, it’s Bill O’Reilly.

13. maregolden says:

If hatred could kill, Trump would be dead.

14. I don’t wish death on anyone, but I won’t lose any sleep over this either.

15. Tiffany says:

“Hatred killed him…” well when you have as much hatred in your heart as that man did, it wears you down Bill. i know thats not what he meant, but shouldnt it be?

16. kmw says:

Oh really? I thought he hit his head but I guess saying ” hatred” killed him is easier for O Reilly to say than the actual truth. But then again what is the truth these days when we are filled with fake news all over the place

17. AngelWasHere says:

LOL @ these comments. I guess Bill’s next. One can hope.

18. MMD says:

OMG give me a break!!!!!!!! What a load of crap!

19. HAP says:

For those who use Twitter, go to Rob Delaney. He perfectly summed up Roger Ailes.

20. Clarence Snyder says:

If hatred really did kill, all the Clinton gang and the Obama bunch would have been dead long ago. That’s based on 8 years of watching Obama and 30 years of seeing what the Clinton duo did. No 100+ days of a guy fighting for what he thinks is best for the people. And it sounds like someone at Fox is trying to kill the network to me.

21. Tony Lang says:

I guess sexual predators stand up for each other.

22. Snow says:

Hate uh?
    So how many people has Bill o reilly killed with a the hate he spewed from his mouth?

Just saying

23. Adam says:

So tone deaf.

24. Albert says:

Ailes died because he was clumsy/drunk/disoriented and had complications from the fall. That had nothing to do with “hatred”. I hope all of his money and power was worth it after all. Besides, is Bill O’Reilly even in a position to speak on Ailes’ behalf? Disappear Bill, please.

25. Mike says:

Who cares? Why is it so controversial to hate sexual predators? I hate Bill O’Reilly too. Both of them can kick rocks.

26. Larry Glickman says:

There is no excuse for harassing a co worker on any basis. That said women like Marylin Monroe were open about using sex to advance their careers and men and women everywhere should never date or approach a co worker these days as they might find is was what the intelligence agencies call a “honey trap”.

• TV Gord says:

That’s a very good point, but it just highlights for me why any hint of playing these games is dangerous. Creepy men count on women who play this shady game, but even if they consent to the behavior, imagine what it does to the other women in the office who see this going on? (I kind of think when these forward passes are received, both of the parties involved should be open to charges. They are both responsible for poisoning the workplace atmosphere.)

I could be convinced otherwise. These are just my knee-jerk reactions to your post. It’s a good discussion, I think.

27. Ron says:

F*** both of them. They are/were horrible people. I used to subscribe to the whole “you shouldn’t speak ill of the dead” thing. Well, I’m older now and have the ability to realize that just because someone dies doesn’t automatically make them some saint. I couldn’t possibly care any less about this man’s death. At least he’s no longer around to assault more women. RIH – and that ‘H’ isn’t for heaven.

28. xomylifexo says:

Ailes made millions of dollars by spewing hatred.

29. Mike says:

Hatred killed him? Does that mean I can claim some credit for this?

30. Angelfan says:

Unlikely. His lifestyle probably killed him. It’s what gets most of us in the end.