Bob Beckel Fired

Bob Beckel Fired From Fox News After Making 'Insensitive' Racial Remark

And then there were… four?

Bob Beckel, a co-host on Fox News Channel’s The Five, was fired on Friday for “making an insensitive remark to an African-American employee,” according to a statement from the network.

This actually marks the second time Beckel has parted ways with Fox News, the first being in 2015:

“We tried to work with Bob for months, but we couldn’t hold The Five hostage to one man’s personal issues,” read a statement from Bill Shine, who was the network’s executive VP of programming at the time of Beckel’s first firing. “He took tremendous advantage of our generosity, empathy and goodwill and we simply came to the end of the road with him.” Beckel returned to The Five in Jan. 2017.

Beckel is merely the latest in a string of Fox News staples to depart in the past year; Bill O’Reilly was given the boot in April amidst a flurry of sexual-harassment allegations, while CEO Roger Ailes — who died earlier this week — resigned in July 2016, following a sexual-harassment scandal all his own.

Your thoughts on Beckel’s firing? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Van says:

The network of horrible people

• All networks have their good, bad, and ugly.

• Adam says:

I think FOX NEWS had more than their fair share! Lol

• Gregory Pentz says:

you mean like Cnn, and people like lying Brian williams and lying cooper Anderson ? nope afraid all the networks have people with questionable values. Jounalist to day are jokes and carre nothing about reporting real facts

• David says:

Yeah, but this one has all bad and ugly. Except Shepherd Smith.He seems like a good guy

• Jay says:

As far as I’m concerned Bob Beckel and Shepard Smith along with Geraldo Rivera are three of the worst television personalities I have ever seen I’m glad he’s gone

• mary says:

For some reason, every now & then we had The Five on. So I would watch, & laugh at how annoyed the rest would always get with Bob or Juan. I am all for people having their opinions/sides, but the majority of “Fox people” never want to hear any other side but their own. That’s a big problem when what we do need are people who are willing to engage in conversation. That could lead to compromise. But noooo….

• Ilia Encinosa says:

Agree with you. Bob is insensitive. Racist and anti american.

• Figured you Libs would like Shepard Smith, he’s gay.

• april-ann says:

But this network is really, really good at the bad and the ugly. More bad and ugly than all the others combined.

• Bob says:

Your mom was horrid for not having that abortion.

• Don’t you mean ‘deplorables’? You Clinton followers should toe the line, no? Even if Obama keeps moving it. LOL

2. Gina says:

That place seems to be falling apart, in a good way.

3. Alec says:

Bye Felicia

4. Ninamags says:

Isn’t there some way to revoke the title of “news” from that horrible station?

All they do is spew lies and hatred.

5. Mary Jakub says:

Love Bob Becker but I don’t agree with any of his political views. I definately think he added much to the Five. I do think Fox News is truly the only open & fair network. I watch fox every day and find fox to always be truthful with all the facts.

• BM says:

I find it interesting that Fox has all the facts when so, so many other national and international news stations and news outlets (and no, I’m not referring to CNN but stations and outlets of other countries) report something entirely different.

• Linda says:

I will miss Bob, liked him better than Juan or Heraldo

• Jen says:

Not sure how the term fact is being used here since Fox is often the only network spinning a story in one direction while a majority of networks (both domestic and international) are reporting in another, and Fox often cannot support their claims or provide sources. No network is ever 100% correct, and some more than others often take liberties with speculation and a right or left bias that I wish they’d curb, but Fox has a bad habit of obscuring facts to serve a narrative (i.e., not reporting on the wrongdoing that occurred, but focusing on outrage over the leak that revealed it).

• Cas says:

Lol this comment gave me a good laugh. Fox News and facts don’t belong in the same sentence.

6. Joey says:

Must have been a pretty bad remark since they didn’t immediately fire O’Reilly for referring to an African-American woman as “hot chocolate.”

• KatsMom says:

I wouldn’t assume that. FOX News is being sued for having a hostile work environment. They’re probably under strict marching orders to show zero tolerance for isms and discrimination now. Ignoring O’Reilly-type comments in the first place is going to cost them big. At this point, all they can do is keep from adding more fuel to the fire.

7. kathleen says:

wasn’t a fan of bob however for all the comments talking about the network go keep track of your own cnn network with all their lawsuits for racial discrimination. the only conservative station and thats why your all hating on fox news. get lost. typical left comments, agree with you or go away. that being said, see ya bob, liked juan better

• Paul says:

How can you say “typical left comments, agree with you or go away” when what you said immediately before was “and that’s why your all hating on fox news. get lost”.

• Coop says:

Thing is, Fox News’ lineup isn’t even conservative. People like Hannity only care about money, otherwise he’d have been going after President Trump during the primary season. You know, seeing as how Donald Trump has never been a conservative in his life and has several non-conservative positions coming from his mouth on a regular basis. Some of which are promoted by the likes of Hannity, who steadfastly opposed them until the past year. Funny how that works out.

To be fair, the other cable news networks did the same exact thing: gave Trump unlimited, free airtime that drowned out all of the other Republican primary challengers. The difference is that many of the people involved with those networks propped him up because they felt Clinton would coast to victory against him and the increased ratings/money was just a nice little bonus. In the end, every network came out looking stupid and is a big reason were stuck with President Trump today.

8. Tomm Huntre says:

FNC is a hot mess. Hot mess.

I watch the various channels. Not beholden to any single channel for news. I enjoyed Bob and was glad when he returned to the show. Sorry to see him go.

Shooting themselves in the foot at FNC over and over again.

9. Roo says:

The good, the bad and the ugly..adieu.

10. Mr. Rene' A. Lujan Sr. says:

…A derailed Train, doing-away with another of its crude passengers…!!!

11. Bob Barone says:

Fantastic!! He is an ass connected to a big mouth…..caio!

12. Iris says:

There are “sensitive” racial remarks? Enlighten me, for I can’t wrap my head around it.

• KCC says:

Here you go: “Blacks in America were mistreated since before it was a country. First as slaves and then by being denied basic rights all Americans are entitled to under constitution.” A remark being “racial” means it’s a remark about race. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “racist.”

13. Corey Hayes says:

Ironic how a left-wing lapdog gets fired because of leftwing ideals.

14. Tom Straley says:

Is there such a thing as a ‘sensitive’ racial remark?

15. Sandra says:

I liked old Bob Beckel, he added a bit of comic relief to serious discussions. He was a bit rude interrupting when other commentators were voicing their opinions. Occasionally slipping in a vulgar word here and there. I enjoy watching the Five and listening to the discussions and different opinions, some I agree with and some I do not. The discussions always seem to be balanced and fair.

16. Chris says:

Interesting that the Democrat gets fired from Fox for racism.

17. hanna693 says:

After watching him this week, he had this evil look in his eyes, and acted like the rest of the people were stupid. they all treated him nice but he acted hateful. Glad he is gone.

18. Diane Olson says:

Glad to see him go, didn’t know why they had him come back in Jan.

19. Ilona Seidel says:

Best news of the day!!!

20. Snow says:

Fox News making an effort to reform?????

21. Maryanne Winters says:

I am very glad that you have terminated Beckel. He definitely had a personal agenda and even in the segment “one more thing”, he made it a political commentary for himself. Thank you Fox!!

22. Keith Riley says:

Good riddance to Bob. Such a hateful man. Now if only Fox could realize how truly disappointing it is to give up watching our favorite shows because of the warped personalities of people like Jaun Williams and Geraldo Rivera. Fox was the only choice we had for honest news and interesting and entertaining people. Now we have lost our last and best hope. The left has won over the last source we had. Good luck to Dana,Greg and Jesse.

• Ninamags says:

“Honest news” You are kidding, right?

That vile, disgusting network is so, so far from being honest and truthful it’s ridiculous.

I truly feel sorry for you deluded, hateful, pathetic, racist scum.

23. joseph P.Hughes says:

Do not fill in the hole for Alles this guy has credentials to fill the void.

24. spencer fox says:

To bad Bob is better than Juanita williams

25. pickles says:

Glad he’s gone but it is still a gossip situation. Beckel loves black people.

26. Mary says:

How sad to hear all these ridiculous statements from people who are truly one sided. Sad to hear about Bob, but that was Bob….a liberal democrat. Just listen to other networks who only want to bring down our President and our country. Sad

• Cas says:

Lol. Funny that all of the other networks report the news differently than Fox News. If 10 networks say one thing but 1 network says another, odds are the 1 network is the lying one.

• Angela says:

Pretty sure this administration’s doing a good job of bringing themselves down all on their own, but whatever.

27. Gene Evensen says:

Great news…as far as I’m concerned. The man is the biggest you know what and I couldn’t be happier. Why in the Lord’s name Fox ever took him back is beyond comprehension.

28. Vincent says:

Dam Russians!

29. Vincent says:

I had just started enjoying having the idiot back! Wonder if he has a blog.

30. TV Gord says:

I don’t watch this channel, so I have no idea who this guy is, but doesn’t anyone else want to know a little more about what he said? I think we need more info before deciding whether he qualifies for the tarring and the feathering.

31. Nancy Abercrombie says:

Glad he’s gone. He was beyond obnoxious!

32. John Latham says:

Bob Beckel is a very intelligent man and I am sorry for him this being the second time FOX has let him go. But, he has brought this on himself. He simply does not know how to participate in debate without offending others. My debate coach taught me 60 years ago that you can disagree with your opponent without being disagreeable. He never learned to do that.

33. John says:

It’s about time they got rid of Bob Beckel his attitude and values were finally disclosed show who and what he really was a jerk

34. Chris Cagle says:

Bob was a pain in the butt. He disrupted the flow on the five. I turned off the Fox news several times after Bob started talking.

35. Tim says:

The same way Trump is being attacked, Fox News is under attack from both inside and out. This last guy is just an opportunist trying to get millions for a comment made by an employee not a corporation. Even if he was asked to retract his complaint, it was not a coverer up, his complaint was still filed. The plea for him to retract his statement was to prevent more negative publicity for the corporation. But of course the thought of getting millions in some settlement is to much for him to resist. Notice Beckle has been fired but this guy is still going on with a law suit.

36. Pat Ashcraft says:

Well, I love the Five and even though I’m a staunch conservative, Bob Beckel was a character. I didn’t care for his opinion but appreciated his feisty attitude. Still love the Five! Love that Watters is in the mix. This group is fun to hear. They really seem to enjoy each other.

37. Linda hand says:

Best thing Fox has done in the past 6 months! He has a hard time articulating his thoughts usually resulting in name calling of people he did not care for..He was a political consultant but rarely offered much to the discussion. Now if Fox could just get rid of Perino &Williams.

• I watch Fox news daily I wish Fox news would get rid of Juan williams he says some of the most stupid comments he sounds very uneducated. And don’t forget air head Dana Perino her stuttering and can’t get a sentence out needs to go!!!

38. Mar says:

I never watched fake news like CNN, MSNBC. Unlike FOX NEWS is the only network you get the real news👍👍👍

39. Michael Mancuso says:

Couldn’t be happier! He was brash, rude, disrespectful and always looked as if he was always mad & better than his co-hosts. I was surprised that Fox brought him back in the first place.

40. Jim Holt says:

Bob Beckel is the worst ever ! Fox should never have hired him back.

41. Lillian Parham says:

I’ve never been a fan of this ignorant man! I was so upset when I realized he’d come back after being fired previously. Now he’s gone for good. Good things do happen occasionally!

42. sickofcompromise says:

My question is “what took Fox so long” Beckel was a thorn in the side of most moral people. To bad he never got his act together.

43. Piers says:

But he was the token Democrat, so an outsider to Fox’s base.

44. I am so glad he is gone! He has such a nasty arrogant attitude. Please don’t take him back again! Maybe you can get rid of Shepherd Smith, Juan Williams and Rivera too! They are all alike!

45. Diann ricketts says:

I think it’s a disgrace you all fired Bob. I imagine your ratings will go down further. He is what made the five interesting. You just can’t have a show with all conservatives and no Democrats. We need input from both sides. I loved Bob on the show. Not sure I will watch it now.

46. Lois Ainsworth says:

I believe FOX made the right choice by firing Bob Beckel from The Five. He was brash, hateful and disrespectful toward his team at the table. I decided to stop watching the show because I was so offended by his attitudes.

47. Kenneth Hackett says:

Well at least there’s the patriot channel on Sirius

48. Jim Kirkpatrick says:

Glad he is gone reason? The man never called the president, president trump he would say that guy or that man disrespecting the office

49. Jim Kirkpatrick says:

The reason the men never address the president of the United States as president Donald Trump he always would say that guy or that man disrespecting the opposite of president