Fall TV Preview
Black Lightning Costume CW

CW Trailers: Our Knee-Jerk Reactions to DC Comics' Black Lightning, Military Drama Valor and More New Shows

The CW on Thursday unveiled its fall 2017 schedule, along with previews for its upcoming series, including fifth superhero series Black Lightning, as well as the military drama Valor, starring Sleepy Hollow‘s Matt Barr.

Here at TVLine, we immediately jumped at the chance to screen both trailers — which you can also do by clicking here — and we’re ready to divulge our totally unfiltered, brutally honest snap judgments.

Below, Michael Ausiello, Matt Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Vlada Gelman and Ryan Schwartz share their gut reactions to each new series based on the first footage released by the network, then turn it over to you to tell us whether you agree or disagree with our pithy reviews.

Now, keep in mind: The following trailers are just the very first glimpse we get of a series and are often not wholly indicative of quality. As such, don’t take the following analysis to mean the series below will necessarily be good or bad. Previews can be deceiving — and we’ve all been fooled before.

Keep scrolling to see how Team TVLine reacted to each respective preview…

BLACK LIGHTNING (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | I kinda love the idea of a family-centric superhero drama, and how grounded it looks versus its sister CW series.
SWIFT | It may not be part of the Arrowverse, but it’ll definitely be part of my weekly rotation.
GELMAN | We were all so curious to know if The CW’s latest DC show is part of the Arrowverse, no one thought to ask, “Will there be a crossover with The 100?”
SCHWARTZ In terms of this week’s superhero trailers, this one is not quite as good as Fox’s The Gifted, but is leaps and bounds better than ABC’s Marvel’s Inhumans.

DYNASTY (Wednesday at 9/8c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | Paging Joan Collins…
MITOVICH | Why appropriate the Dynasty name if your trailer is never going to say “Blake,” “Fallon” or “Carrington”?
SWIFT | Didn’t think Dynasty could get any gayer? Think again, my friend!
GELMAN | Soapy, ridiculous guilty pleasure. Also, this trailer desperately needs a different song. And is that Revenge‘s Nick Wechsler?!
SCHWARTZ | I’m not opposed to remakes of classic properties — especially not ones adapted by the creative minds behind The O.C. I’m all in.

LIFE SENTENCE (Midseason) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
MITOVICH | Before you mock the “As if!” premise, remember: We all did same with Jane the Virgin.
ROOTS | Lucy Hale is winsome and watchable, but I already have angst about when they’ll inevitably bring back her character’s cancer. Life’s too short. Pass.
SWIFT | Cute, cute, cute. Did I mention cute? This show is cute!
NEMETZ | It scratches that Jane/Crazy Ex rom-com itch, and Lucy Hale makes for a charming lead. But I liked the No Tomorrow trailer, too.

VALOR (Monday at 9/8c) [WATCH TRAILER HERE]
AUSIELLO | I thought we were weighing in on new CW shows. This is clearly a TNT drama.
MITOVICH | Valium.
ROOTS | A military drama with a messed-up female lead? Holy Starbuck, I think I’m in.
NEMETZ | Feels way off-brand for The CW, and kind of a snooze — like actors playing military dress-up. I don’t expect a long tour of duty for this one.

1. Jake says:

Why I love TV Line, you guys batted way low on your reviews. Wait, the problem is most of you were probably wearing diapers when the real Dynasty was airing. PROBLEM SOLVED!

• Jake says:

I have watched the trailer twice now and I just don’t see this being successful. Dynasty was one of the highest rated series on network TV during it’s prime. This remake comes off as a lack luster/campy imitation of the original. Just not buying it. I will be surprised if it last a complete season. Sorry for my comment above, just a big fan of the original.

• Amit says:

They wasted NO TIME getting to the cat fights.

• I’m all in with Black Lightening EXCITED!!!
        Life Sentence: was all set to watch because I like Lucy Hale but I need to be able to root for the main couple of a show and I’m just not feeling the boyfriend.
        Valor: hell no.
        Dynasty: pass.
        I watched the entire series as a grown up. I know the original well. I don’t see the remake being a hit (just my opinion, I’ll gladly eat crow if it turns out that I’m wrong, I love the CW and they need a hit). Aside from Grant Show, the cast just didn’t grab me. I also think the characters and situations lacked finesse. It was all trash, no class and Krystle is annoying me already. Pass.

• Sigh. Sorry Jake. Didn’t mean to post my comment as a reply to yours. I got lost… again :(

• Everyone in the CW demo weren’t even thought of when Dynasty ran. I’m getting big 90210/Melrose vibes from this. I don’t think people care who can’t remember the old one.

2. chuckiechk says:

I liked the trailer for Black Lightning, but was shocked to hear its not apart of the Arrowverse

• Horus says:

Just wait until the ratings drop. Then Flash will come running just like he did for Supergirl.

• chuckiechk says:

it will be interesting to see what storylines they go with and how long they can run storylines with the 100 gang (not the other cw show lol)

3. Kevin Tran says:

My reaction about the Black Lightning trailer: AWESOME. This should be a huge hit for mid-season.

4. Daniel Nicks says:

I wouldn’t know. They never gave us the inhumans trailer but it does look good not as good as gifted though. Do you know why matt? If they can give us black lightning and it hasn’t even filmed its pilot yet. Whats taking inhumans trailer so long?

• Horus says:

Black Lightning filmed it’s pilot back in March/April in Atlanta. It was filming there the same time Black Panther was. The footage you are seeing is from the pilot.

• Daniel Nicks says:

Oh thats interesting. Thought they only filmed a trailer to show to cw. Still doesn’t justify no inhumans trailer. They premeire in september. Black lightning doesn’t premeire until 2018.

5. LaDonna says:

The CW isn’t my thing, but Life Sentence might pull me in kind of like Hart of Dixie did. The rest….meh.

6. Jacob Taylor says:

I’m having trouble getting past the Valor head pilot’s long shaggy hair and beard, isn’t he in the army?

7. clintbrew says:

just saw black lightning trailer is it set in central city cus the highschool is similar to barry and iris’s also the cafe looks like Jitters looks awesome though

• Amit says:

It’s set on a different Earth, no ties to Central City. In the original comics, he’s based in the worse parts of Metropolis, but I’m not sure where they’re setting the tv series.

8. Lysh says:

Pretty much loving/agreeing with all of Andy’s comments.

9. Ci says:

Nick Wechsler playing Matthew Blaisdel?????

10. Alex Breakaway says:

CW didn’t learn the lection with Melrose Place 2.0

11. Phillip says:

Am I the only one that hasn’t seen a trailer to The Inhumans? It seems everyone has. All I watched was voiceover.

12. Kate says:

I wasn’t looking for another superhero TV show, especially since I barely have time for the 2 or 3 I do watch, but the Black Lightning trailer has convinced me to give it a shot. Life Sentence looks cute. Valor…pass. Dynasty…who are they kidding? Am I supposed to believe that either of those women would be up for a COO position of a major conglomerate? They’re both too young, and “Fallon” especially looks like she’s only into shopping and partying. What kind of Dynasty is this?

• Amit says:

I mean, considering that one married the owner of the company, and the other one is his daughter, it’s just good old-fashioned dynastic nepotism.

13. Lyndy says:

I agree with most of the reactions about Valor: This is going to be all kinds of horrible & why is it on CW..
    Black Lightning: YES, I’m in

14. Brock says:

Why wouldn’t they make Black Lightning part of Supergirls world? It makes sense in terms of an established superhero existing in that world. While also allowing for easy crossover potential but allowed to leave him in his own part of the world. Don’t know why you’d order another superhero show and not build on your existing world?

15. David Hambly says:

Black Lightning:ORIGIN BACK STORY WITH THE DAUGHTER narrating was a nice touch. the guy trying to lead a normal life and save lives as a high school principal was a good choice also. buuuuuutt….eventually he has to don a costume and save the world from extinction every episode or at least every 8 episode arc. and doesn’t the CW itself have too many shows like that already. too much of a good thing. eventually,this glut will reach a saturation point.that being said,i’m sure it will be a hit

16. Jimmy says:

Dynasty looks like a Kardashian reality series (and no, that’s not a good thing). Pass.

17. Cobra says:

This upcoming TV season honestly looks like the most boring one ever for new shows. Not one of them, on any network, excites me. They all look like boring rehashed nonsense.
    I could potentially see myself enjoying “Life Sentence” and “Young Sheldon” if nothing else were on, but neither make DVR cut or appointment TV.

18. Jared says:

Dynasty doesn’t seem like a hit to me but it could be fun, campy and over the top which sometimes makes it even more enjoyable. Valor seems like a snooze fest and very off brand for The CW. Black Lightning looks HOT and Lucy Hale can make any show watchable. Needless to say I’m In. The CW gets me EVERY year.

• meatwad says:

ill watch Dynasty for Liz Gillies and that’s about it. On a show like that i need someone to root for.All these people seem horrible

19. Ralph says:

I’ll stick with my superhero shows and adding the new Black Lightning. Gf likes Jane, though.

20. niurka says:

Valor, why he has a beard in uniform? come on, that is just wrong

21. meatwad says:

a show like Valor on CW???? don’t see that working out

22. American says:

I could not agree more with Nemetz’s criticism of the trailer for ‘Valor’