Fall TV Preview

Star Trek: Discovery Trailer: Watch First Footage From CBS All Access Series

We still don’t know exactly when Star Trek: Discovery will take flight, but CBS has released the first trailer from its highly anticipated All Access offshoot.

The dazzling promo was first unveiled at the network’s upfront presentation Wednesday, shortly after it was announced that Season 1 will consist of 15 episodes, up from 13.

The forthcoming Discovery — slated to bow this fall — will be told from the perspective of Michael Burnham (The Walking Dead‘s Sonequa Martin-Green), First Officer of the Starship Discovery. Additional characters include Captain Lorca (The OA‘s Jason Isaacs), Spock’s dad Sarek (True Blood‘s James Frain), Dr. Nambue (30 Rock‘s Maulik Pancholy) and Philippa Georgiou (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon‘s Michelle Yeoh) as captain of the U.S.S. Shenzhou. The series will also feature Harry Mudd (The Office‘s Rainn Wilson), the interglacial criminal first portrayed in the original Star Trek series by actor Roger C. Carmel.

Have at it, Trekkies: Does the first footage whet your appetite for Discovery, or has it done the reverse and made you less excited about the CBS All Access series? Also, what do you think of the official key art below?

1. Robert Khan says:

Exciting times in the Federation. A bit heavy on the CGI though!

• Jo Garret says:

What’s with the sand planet “Rey” from Star Wars looks at the beginning, right down to the goggles.

• Michael Summerset says:

It’s likely that the trailer is trying to pick most of the computer graphics to make the show more interesting. The show it self could take place mostly on a bridge set, like TNG did.

2. Van says:

Looks amazing. I don’t know why they redid the klingons though

3. Jennifer says:

So I’m doubting that this is the blind item, since the upped the order???

4. Jennifer says:

I think just may have to get this All Access now. Damn it. I was hoping it wasn’t going to hook me.

5. TVLineCommentator says:

I blame Rick Berman and Brannon Braga for this.

6. claudiagail says:

I’m in. Favorite moment Sarek saying his young son Spock had “too human” a tongue.

• Uno says:

I think that child was sonequa’s character …before that as I was watching that I was thinking her mannerisms her hair and cadence seemed Vulcan.. Plus sarek only seemed to speak to her… So im thinking she might’ve been raised Vulcan or something like that.. Either way I’m looking fwd to it because I loved TNG… Voyager and Deep space nine

• DigificWriter says:

I don’t think he was talking to Spock; I think he was talking to Michael (Burnham), the show’s lead character.

7. TVLineCommentator says:

this is not in the Prime universe…

• DigificWriter says:

It is; they’ve just redesigned a bunch of stuff.

• Tom says:

Which is the issue. We know how stuff is supposed to look, and this doesn’t fit in

• DigificWriter says:

Design has zero impact on narrative, and what these redesigns end up doing is creating a Prime timeline “bridge” between the Enterprise and the TOS eras that reflects the design aesthetic of the USS Kelvin.

• Susie says:

Because if ANYTHING is a constant in the “Star Trek” universe, it’s not messages of tolerance, racial equality and humanity-centered storytelling… it’s continuity of technology, sets and costumes between series and films. That was sarcasm.

• Anne says:

Lol they had to use modern design. They couldn’t do TOS aesthetic – that would look terrible.

• Degra says:

Then what was the purpose of setting it in TOS era if not as a way to use TOS uniforms, ships and bridge designs. To me the feel says post TNG in the 25th century. With the uniforms the bridge the Klingons appearance being so inconsistent with TOS makes me wonder why they bothered setting the series in the TOS era to begin with–when it hamstrings their ability with a prequel era cabin rather than a wide open future with nothing limiting them in the 25th century

• Degra says:

Canon not cabin

• tara17 says:

Maybe it’s the Prime universe, but it doesn’t look or feel like a Star Trek series to me. Seth MacFarlane’s promo for his Orville series much better captured the esthetics of what a modern day Star Trek should look like, imo. .

• Michael Summerset says:

I can easily see The Orville doing better, although it’s hard to compare streaming with broadcast.

8. Temperance says:

That looks considerably better than I thought it would be, all things considered. There is something about the lead that just grabs you.

9. Danny123 says:

This made up for not getting the inhumans trailer from stupid abc. Excited!!!

10. Liz says:

“This video is not available”

11. Tom says:

I thought they said this was primeverse? Doesn’t look it to me. It looks more JJverse nonsense. Do not like.

12. Tim Higuera says:

You nimrods! You’ve changed the klingons…AGAIN! Leave them be!

13. Anne says:

Ugggggggg so excited. It looks so good. And *such* a cast!!!

14. Brennan says:

Where’s the promo?

15. Deborah Kaplan says:

I would love to see Star Trek Discovery. However, I don’t have CBS Access. My husband does not want to pay extra for it. I guess I will have to wait until it hopefully will come to CBS one day and then we can watch it.

16. kmayne says:

Not able in Canada But you can view it on youtube. But not overly impressed

17. Wez Za says:

Looks like a chick flick in space

18. Anne says:

IM SO EXCITED. It looks so expensive and beautiful.

19. Arie says:

Does this mean that one chick died on Walking Dead? She looks good in this show!

20. Degra says:

I like the uniforms and what I’ve seen of the ship designs and bridge but it is wholly inconsistent with the feel and aesthetic of what things looked like in The Cage which is about ten years before TOS.

Now were the series set a hundred years after TNG I could buy the advanced look of the show and I’m not sure why they couldn’t have set it in the 25th century. The only benefit of setting it near TOS would be allowing them to have the cast wear TOS uniforms or have the bridge design be TOS. But by the looks of it it’s a radical departure from TOS design. I’m sure with a little tweak the same story could have just as easily been told in the 25th century which would not make the aesthetics so out of place for a TOS era series as well as not tying the story and alien possibilities to a very limited canon

21. Eric Whitman says:

nope. not interested. to many things wrong with this version of “star trek”.

22. Walkie says:

Something about that just felt “off”. Too much gray metal everywhere. It looks so dark in its color scheme.
    Also, would have been nice to add a few seconds of humor. Hope it’s not too serious.

23. bean99 says:

It looks good to me. Looking forward to seeing it this fall.

24. Agent 86 says:

It looks okay. But, it surely must be set in the Reboot Universe and not TOS Universe? If it was set in the original universe, why would the uniforms, ships, etc look so different just 10 years earlier. I wish they’d just set it post TNG / Voyager, then they could have had lots of fun with the uniforms, ships, etc and no restrictions on the story.

25. Bruce says:

Would love to watch it but I will not sign up to All Access to do so. What a shame.

26. Judson says:

I would definitely watch if it was on regular cable or network, but I’m not paying $$$ to do so.

27. A3rynSun76 says:

I have watched a great deal of Star Trek in my life. I do not have high hopes for this series. It stole from so many sci-fi shows (discluding Star Trek series) that it should be audited for copyright infringement (semi-illegitimate for solid burn purposes). I briefly had CBS all access and found it didn’t have either NCIS or Big Bang Theory in their totality. Maybe CBS should have had the good sense to go in with all the other major networks on Hulu. Basically Star Trek Enterprise was better than what this will try to become. Placing it ten years before the original series is a complete miscalculation. Stop moving backward and start moving forward. Contradicting the recent movie series is better than dealing with being a constant contradiction to the entire audience. I’ve been watching star Trek for most of my life and I know this show won’t be worth the 6 dollars a month to watch whatever bull they put together to pretend they are a part of the Star Trek universe.

28. A3rynSun76 says:

• tara17 says:

Also a long-time viewer, and I completely agree with your assessment.

• LEP says:

Agree. It’s kind of like the new movies. I enjoy them, but I don’t think of them as Star Trek. They are something else. More of an action series set in space. Not a lot of character development – I guess they are assuming you know the character development from the original.

These are mostly new characters. They only way it works is if people love the characters.

Next Generation had great characters. You cared deeply about them. Sure, the first season was eh, but later seasons, some of the best character development ever. Some of the best stories ever. The one where Picard is tortured by the Cardassian. Or when he’s captured by the Borg. Or Darmok & Jalled at Tangra. Or, some of the Data stories. The Worf stories. And the series finale. That final scene. Perfection.

I don’t have All Access and I have no intention of getting it. Maybe if people go ga-ga over it I’ll consider. If you’ve followed Axanar, then their story is a whole lot more in line with the idea of Star Trek. (You’ll either know what that is or not – if not, check it out.)

Anyway, while this looks cool, it feels more like an action movie trying to be a TV series. They aren’t the same thing. Time will tell.

29. Bill Olson says:

I have a complaint about the use of the Delta Shield. In TOS, all ships had their own insignia. The Enterprises was the Delta Shield. They should not be using it in this series.

30. Bark Star says:

Wow… this looks really really… terrible. The new design. the lens flares, the asthetics.. it all looks like a cheap knockoff from that J.J. Abrams turd. Like they wanted to please both new and old fans. This baby is stillborn.

31. No no no says:

Remember Galaxy Quest, how they had sizzle reels for the fictional show inside the movie? I feel like I just watched one of those.

Yikes.

32. Dante says:

That looks…. awful, simply awful. Has a very Abrams-verse look and feel to it, and that’s fine if that’s the timeline they wanted to use, but they said this was prime verse.

33. Michael Summerset says:

With all they’re putting into it, I can’t see how the whole series won’t air on CBS. It may air on AA first, but I doubt they would rely solely upon streaming. I’ll be watching it on Space in Canada.

34. Mark Wood says:

Degra and anyone else bemoaning the changing visual look of the period.

From the last episode of Star Trek Turnabout Intruder to Star Trek the Motion Picture, a span (in universe) of about 4 or 5 years, every single visual element of Star Trek changed, the single exception really was the look of Spock’s ears, which changed very slightly. Every Prop, every costume, every planet, every set, every ship changed and changed dramatically.

The only reason this change was made was that modern audiences of that time (the late1970’s) would have laughed out loud if they replicated the look and style of the 60’s show. They didn’t set it in the far future to give a reasonable in universe reason for the dramatic changes.

So why should current iterations? It isn’t a reasoned argument.

35. TerClark says:

With as many Trek fans as there are you’d think they’d air it on TV & not just a subscription app. Hopefully it’ll eventually air on CBS or go to Netflix.

36. will robinson says:

Moonves greed will destroy the show