Training Day Cancelled

Training Day, Ransom Cancelled at CBS

Neither Training Day nor Ransom will be returning for Season 2.

The cancellation of CBS’ two lowest-rated and least-watched dramas, reported by TV by the Numbers, leaves the network with no shows still on the bubble, seeing as the reality-TV series Undercover Boss (which is currently airing Season 8) was picked up for a ninth cycle on Wednesday morning.

An international co-production, Ransom premiered in January and averaged 3.5 million total viewers with a 0.4 demo rating in its Saturday time slot.

Training Day launched in February, airing Thursdays-at-10 slot, but got moved to Saturdays after its numbers dipped to 4 mil and a 0.7 — and in the wake of series lead Bill Paxton’s death. Season-to-date, it has averaged 3.6 mil and a 0.6, with its finale airing this Saturday.

1. Kevin Tran says:

Good move by CBS for cancelling Training Day not because of Bill Paxton’s passing.

2. kort says:

“leaves the network with no shows still on the bubble, seeing as the reality-TV series Undercover Boss”

What about Hunted?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Fair point; I have sent a Telex to CBS to secure super double secret confirmation. “Tune in tomorrow,” as they say!

• KLS says:

Hunted needed some work, but I thought it was a decent Winter replacement show.

3. Any ideas if the international part of the production of Ransom will continue, as Crossing Lines carried on?!?!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Not information we would have access to, sorry.

• Robberey says:

As far as I heard, it is still allive at Global (Canada) and TF1 (France), the two networks who originally ordered it. RTLGroup, which airs the series on their network VOX, seems to be out to, as they recently moved the series to 11pm from a former 9~something-pm scheduling place. That’s what I can tell as beeing someone related to television in Germany.
      As long as ratings are solid for Global and TF1, there is a good chance to return.
      But the series isn’t really worth returning, to be honest.

• MMD says:

I think most of the actors have already moved on to new projects anyway. Haven’t heard a peep from Global about it airing here.

4. Selena says:

Matt, I think Hunted is dead. It was not mentioned in returning realities part on their 2017 18 press release. So sad, it didnt rate terribly

5. Billy meacham says:

I was actually liking training day. Bill Paxton was awesome in it sad it’s his last show.

• PatriciaLee says:

It was good, wasn’t it? Actually brilliant, in that it got better and better. His acting was startling, a drop curtain of brilliance. Thank you, Bill Paxton, for this final gift.

• MMD says:

I was really enjoying it and only watched it for Bill Paxton but I found it definitely improved with each episode as well.

6. Penny says:

I’m sure I just missed the post but did CBS ever officially cancel Pure Genius? I know they didn’t order any new episodes past the initial 13 and it was ‘essentially cancelled’, but was it ever officially?

7. kate says:

Maybe (unless something happens in the next two weeks since I know she is coming to help) it means we see more of Katrina Law on Arrow. Nyssa might have some issues she wants to address with Black Siren given she is wearing the face of her best friend and her love’s sister and she might be a good mentor/trainer for Dinah Drake (seriously, they are going to have to sort that out since Black Siren doesn’t actually go by Laurel, she seems to use her own first name).

8. pickles says:

Ransom ratings were pretty good on a Saturday.

9. Fido says:

Quite enjoy Training Day, hope it gets a decent final ep.

• PatriciaLee says:

Maybe we can gofundsomethingorother to get a final scene on youtube, or some such, if they left it on a cliff hanger.

10. awnb95 says:

Dang here’s to hoping the international production companies continue with Ransom.

11. Norkir says:

The international aspect of Ransom was what I found so interesting. I really enjoyed every episode!! Will be missed by this avid TV watcher.

• Mara says:

Agreed on all counts!

• Marie58 says:

I agree as well. Really enjoyed the show,

• davej13 says:

Ransom was OK. It was a nice change of pace from standard American cop or crime shows like how Motive was the past few years.

Here’s my thing, though. Why did CBS even bother making it and then airing it on Saturday night from day one? That is where you burn off canceled show episodes. The show never had a chance from day one.

12. Carol C says:

I know I was in the minority, but I really enjoyed Ransom and am sorry it won’t be around next year. Always looked forward to it on Saturday evenings.

13. Ricky says:

Are we sure about Ransom? TVWise is saying it hasnt actually been cancelled

14. Michael Summerset says:

I never even realized Training Day had aired. They really didn’t give it much promotion.

15. HT says:

CBS shows are built to appease surface level baby boomers who have low end intellectual needs. To them everything needs to be literal, obvious and completely avoid subtext and any semblance of intelligent writing in order to sell the pills. They are the only ones still watching TV advertisements anymore afterall. I’m so glad that generation will be dead soon. Worst generation we’ve ever had.

16. Ally says:

According to @ransomseries this is false, Ransom is neither renewed or cancelled. Please clarify

17. popeye013 says:

Patrick Munn @ TVWise has said that Ransom is not cancelled.
    The 4 production partners (CBS, RTL, TF1 & Global) haven’t yet made a decision on if the series will return!
    This needs to be made clear in the report as its current version is misleading and inaccurate!
    (Watch this post get removed!!)

18. Kay Hughes says:

I liked training day and ranson.