The Alienist Trailer: Dakota Fanning Stars In TNT's Gilded Age Thriller

TNT is getting into the period piece game — and it’s first effort looks positively killer.

The basic cabler on Wednesday released the first trailer for The Alienist, starring Dakota Fanning (American Pastoral), Daniel Brühl (Rush), Luke Evans (The Girl on The Train), and Brian Geraghty (The Hurt Locker). The series takes place in the Gilded Age — or more specifically the year 1896, “amidst the vast wealth, extreme poverty and technological innovation of New York,” per the synopsis — and follows the search for a serial killer preying on young male prostitutes.

The series, which is currently shooting in Budapest, Hungary, is directed by Black Mirror‘s Jakob Verbruggen and counts True Detective‘s Cary Fukunaga amongst its executive producers. A premiere date has not yet been announced.

Press PLAY on the trailer above, then tell us if you’ll be tuning in for The Alienist upon its eventual arrival to TNT’s lineup.

1. WW says:

is this a movie or a series?

2. BookGirl says:

Loved loved loved the books, fingers crossed for this!

3. Amanda says:

This looks really great!!! Will totally check out whenever it airs.

4. Ally Oop says:

Bad title. Everyone is gonna think it’s about space aliens.

• MaryC says:

It’s the title of the book that it’s based on. The book is by Caleb Carr. You should read it, it’s excellent.
      Wikipedia: Alienist is an archaic term for a psychiatrist or psychologist. Despite falling out of favor by the middle of the twentieth century, it received renewed attention when used in the title of Caleb Carr’s novel The Alienist (1994).

• Tricksy says:

I agree (I was a lot more interested when I thought it was about aliens)

I was hoping Dakota’s character would be the psychotic. Then it would have been somewhat interesting.

• mags says:

They can’t change the title because it’s a based on a famous book. The show is based on the bestseller, “The Alienist” by Caleb Carr. The book is about an Alienist (what they used to call psychiatrists until the mid-20th century) named Laszlo Kreizler, who works with then-NYC Police Commissioner Theodore Roosevelt to catch a serial killer. The second book about Laszlo Kreizler is called “The Angel of Darkness.” Carr is working on two more books about Kreizler.

• Ally Oop's Great-Grandma says:

I wrote to MGM to tell them to change the name of Gone With the Wind because people would think it was about tornados.

• Ally Oop's Great-Grandma says:

I wrote to the director to tell him to change the name of the movie To Kill A Mockingbird because people would think it was about bird hunters.

• Ally Oop's Great-Grandma says:

I told them they needed to change the name of the movie The Grapes of Wrath because people would think it was about a winery owned by a guy named Wrath.

5. MaryC says:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!

I read this in 1994. It’s my favorite book of all time. The movie better live up to the book, or close.

6. Nessie says:

I am so down for this.

7. Alrisha says:

I’m in. This looks great, the cast, the story.. totally watching.

8. BlittleU says:

The books were so good. I hope this does the Alienist justice, it is certainly beautifully shot.