Chicago PD Recap

Chicago P.D. Finale Recap: Is [Spoiler] Leaving the Intelligence Unit?

Dear Lindsay: Answer the phone!

During Wednesday’s Season 4 finale, the Chicago P.D. detective finds herself on the receiving end of a potentially life-changing call… but she’s too busy contemplating another life-altering move to answer it.

The episode kicks off with Lindsay under review for misconduct, and she’s not feeling very apologetic about the tactics she employed to save a child. “I do not regret what I did here!” she exclaims before being stripped of her badge, pending a final board determination. And that’s just the beginning of Lindsay’s problems. Her mom Bunny is in trouble with the law, having come home to find her convicted felon boyfriend Johnny already shot — or so she claims.

Chicago PD RecapAs Intelligence works the case, Voight gathers a list of Bunny’s associates from Lindsay and hands it over to the FBI, who have long had their eye on the young detective. With Bunny in their custody, the FBI offers Lindsay a job working undercover for the New York counter-terrorism unit. “Take the gig, save your mom,” the agent advises.

If she does this, she needs to know the truth, Lindsay tells Bunny, who fesses up to being involved in a drug run. Lindsay decides to accept the job offer, with one caveat: Bunny has to be released. Meanwhile, Voight discovers that the bad mama really did kill Johnny. He explains to Bunny that “no one knows” about the incriminating evidence he found, which he later tosses, but also warns, “The second you put [Lindsay] in jeopardy, I’m coming after you.”

Voight then gives his surrogate daughter a dog tag with his fingerprint and tells her not to look back… which is what Lindsay’s doing when she ignores Jay’s phone call? Little does she know, her ex is planning to propose, even though the timing couldn’t be worse.

Chicago PD Recap“This girl does not want to be saved,” his brother Will argues, suggesting that Jay put some distance between the two of them. Yeah, Lindsay might be taking care of that all on her own — or is she? We never see her formally accept the FBI’s job offer or get her final determination from the board. But that conflicted stare at the Chicago skyline doesn’t bode well for her staying in the Windy City.

On a completely unrelated note, can we please keep Tracy Spiridakos’ Upton around next season? The newest member of Intelligence really proves her loyalty this week when she promises not to let anything bounce back on the unit or Lindsay during her board interview. Plus, it’s nice to have some more female energy on the show.

P.D. fans, what did you think of the season ender? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Dave says:

Wait. Wait. Wait. All the Chicago shows, minus Justice, ended their respective seasons with major cast members potentially out.
    Dr. Charles on Med, a slew of them on Fire, Lindsay on PD. Are all these people leaving?

• CAVandy says:

I bet Oliver Platt stays on Med, he wasn’t killed. But I don’t think Sophia is coming back just a hunch.

• Dave says:

I have noticed she hasn’t really promoted the show on social media for a while and didn’t even speak about the renewal.

• Dysturbed says:

It’s not social media, but she was on Seth Meyers promoting it last week.

• BM says:

I think she’s on vacation. She posted a tweet that suggests that earlier today. She also posted a photo of her in Paris, so if she’s in Europe, there’d be a time difference to account for, too.
          Her tweeting got less once they stopped filming. I have no idea what she did after that but I don’t find it hard to believe that she needed a break from everything. Jesse Lee Soffer hasn’t been that active on twitter either. Yes, more so than Bush but then again, she might not even be in the states at the moment.

That said, I think both that she’s leaving and that she isn’t is a possibility.

• jaelyn96 says:

She’s in Paris on vacation but this weekend is the Chicago PD con. She and some cast members from PD, Med and Fire and Jon Seda will be meeting Paris fans

• Patrick says:

I think these shows, like the CW shows, will have trouble retaining their actors. The “name” stars who are the absolute leads of the shows (and the bosses within the plot of the shows) are being paid enough to live wherever. I think for a lot of the actors, shooting outside of LA (or NYC) is tough. They’ve built their lives in these cities before being cast in the shows, and their friends and families are back in those cities. Further, for young actors, it can be hard to get other jobs when you are away from NY/LA.
      Especially WRT Chicago, those winters are brutal. Sophia has talked about that on more than one occasion. She didn’t complain, but she has discussed it. If she wants out, I would get it.

• Amelia says:

Sophia spent years working in North Carolina (Or South Carolina) I forget for One Tree Hill, so it’s not like she’s been living in LA solely for her whole career. I think if she leaves it will be more to do with her real-life breakup.

• marco collins says:

They dont film in Chicago but New York, for like 90% of the show, then film establishing shots or scenes for multiple episodes at one time in Chicago to set the show in its tv city. All of Dick Wolf’s shows do it. The production designers are good at finding parts of NY that can resemble Chicago and they use those sections in all the shows. Just as CSI Miami used down town Long Beach, CA and Marina Del Rey for most of exterior shooting to replicate Miami.

• CE says:

Dude, they live in Chicago and film in Chicago. They don’t shoot in New York.

• DC says:

I’ve watched the scene set-ups, its fantastic. All over Lake St West Side (crap area) but true to the area i.e. crime runs rampant in Garfield Park.

• Dysturbed says:

The Chicago shows actually film the entirety of their production in Chicago.

• Pn says:

I know. When you have a great cast you keep them. Don’t fix what’s not broken

• ERNESTINE GOLLEY says:

I hope not

2. JJM says:

What about officer Julie Tay? Wasn’t the plan to promote diversity and to a series regular after her guest recurring stint?

• Alyse says:

The actress who played her is currently on blindspot and was in the finale of Quantico.

• Lillibeth says:

This show could definitely use more diversity in casting choices. I prefer Burgess as a patrol cop and liked the partnership with Tay!

3. Ally Oop says:

I liked Chicago PD but it’s the only Chicago show I watched until all the crossover episodes made it too confusing so I dropped it. I still read the recaps though. I am thinking Sophia Bush might be gone from the show. A little too coincidential that Tracey Spiridakos came onto the show just as Sophia Bush might be leaving…

• BM says:

Tracy S. is filling in for Marina S. since she’s on maternity leave.

• Ally Oop says:

Yes, but will she end up staying when Marina returns if Sophia leaves?

• BM says:

I guess that remains to be seen but my point was that she was not brought into the show because of Bush. :-)

• Dysturbed says:

That’s of course unknown, but people asked the same thing when Nick Weschler took over for Patrick John Flueger, though in his case it was always known that he’d be back.

• Amelia says:

She might end up staying, but it throws your “little too coincidental” angle out the window. It’s also plausible that Marina doesn’t want to come back from maternity leave, or wants a longer maternity leave and Tracey stays as well.

4. RobMF says:

I am tired of the revolving door on this show. Keep Upton, bring back Rixton as well. They have too many great characters who Vanish or Die. Let Hank have a bigger unit to keep some of these people. Plus we already lost Antonio to Chicago Justice.

• Alyse says:

Rixton was only brought on because Patrick was filming a movie, and Upton is only there because Marina is on maternity leave. If justice gets cancelled I would hope they would bring Antonio back to pd. I wish they would keep characters around rather than casting them away though cause both of them were interesting.

5. Lore says:

I wasnt a fan of Tracy in the other episode, but this, i like her a little but i dont want her to messed up my Burgess and Russek

6. Timothy Robinson says:

All I can say is… I hate season finale. Great show she’s my fav. Hate to see her go. Can’t be replaced

7. Anna says:

PLEASE KEEP TRACY! This is her first major thing since Revolution (RIP) and she’s knocking it out of the park. Honestly I think she’s the best addition to the show in a long time!

8. Cindy W. says:

Chicago Fire was the start… but enough is enough! If one more show stems off, I’m going to quit watching all of them! Chicago Justice is not as good quality, and the others are starting to suffer. Do what they did to start out with and quit trying to expand… enough already!

• Alyson says:

There’s been a switch up of show runners. Maybe that’ll help?

• Morgan says:

I like Chicago Justice and actually think the writing is superior to the others. But it is more academic and not just fighting fires or slapping pervs and then back to the unit for soap opera theatrics. Different strokes for different folks :-) The producers, writers, showrunners are different on each show. So the argument for effecting quality doesn’t hold, but the perception that it does may be effecting Justice and people willing to give it a fair chance.

• Larry Barker says:

I’ve followed Criminal Intent because of Jon Seda, but it’s basically a revamped version of Law & Order. I’d just as well have Law & Order format back with these new characters. I love PD but just as soon as you get used to Hanks crew someone or two are gone.

9. Alyson says:

Are Sophia and Jesse Lee still together in real life?

10. T.W.S.S. says:

I love Lindsay, but it seems like every other season ends with her potentially leaving intelligence.

11. Lena says:

It’s been so awkward since Sophia and Jesse broke up like let her leave and give the show a whole new angle

12. LAToya says:

Definitely don’t want to see Lindsey go. I hope she decides to stay in Chicago and with Jay!

13. Staci says:

I have to disagree with you on Upton. CPD was better without her and I hope she’s gone next season.

14. Cas says:

Why is it always Lindsey that had these life changing events or opportunities? I think this is the 3rd time she has been maybe out of the unit. Jay and Lindsey are my favorite. Normally I wouldn’t stop watching a show because of something so dumb but I don’t really have the time to continue anymore anyway so if she leaves then I probably wouldn’t watch.

15. Rachel Charron says:

I’m disappointed with the way they separated Jay and Lindsey. There were 2 great partnership in this series and you disolved both. I really hope that the next season is more intense and shows the true feelings of the characters.

16. Darlene Brannan says:

Love the Chicago shows, PD our fav, great end, although hated to see Lindsey leave, Hank is the bomb on this show, only tv but leaves you feeling like there is hope for justice in this world.
    Maybe NBC would pick up Last Man standing….

17. Kate says:

Marina S. posted a photo with Sophia in it saying she was looking forward to seeing her and a few others for the new season. I agree it is tiring to see them use Lindsay and Voight in same situations, but I don’t see as engaging with the audience if it were any other character. Hope she stays for good next season.

18. grace says:

If Sophia goes I go. She is the only reason i watch this show.

19. Cathy says:

I hope Sophia isn’t leaving. The show wouldn’t be the same without her.

20. Kelli says:

Oh please, please let Lindsay be leaving!!! Can’t stand her on this show and if she’s gone we will hopefully never see Bunny again. I’m so sick of her getting preferential treatment because of her relationship with Voight. Hope she’s gone next season!

• Tammy says:

OMG! I finallyyyy found someone who thinks the same as me!!!! yay! I have no problem with Sophia, bit Lindsay is sooooooo annoying! Let her go already! It’s the third time she’s in this situation! Just GO! Leave Jay alone to have 50 flings! He’s better of! Totally can’t stand her carachter

• kat.niz says:

exactly the same! does it always have to be problem with lindsay!? and bunny is so annoying too! I feel like when it comes to lindsay it’s always the same stuff, why they can not come up with something else or diffrent character whom is much more interesting. I hope she’s leaving for good!

• Paula says:

Agree! Nothing against the actress but I would love to see a show where all the continuous drama is not centered on her. For some reason, I find her character so annoying . . . maybe the way she grits her teeth and whispers when she is trying to act tough. Anyway, I really wouldn’t mind to see her go. Sure the actress would find other roles that fit her better.

21. Hmm says:

They cannot dangle a prospective proposal in front of our faces and then have Erin leave. I’ve been waiting for this for three very long seasons. Jay and Erin as a couple have made huge strides; both have opened up and shown a vulnerability with one another that was not there before. Their relationship is simple, it’s easy and it fits. This finale excuse seemed really repetitive, boring and lazy writing. I hope they’re not writing Erin off the show.

22. Paul says:

Keep Upton, she is great in the role. Get rid of Lindsay, she is overrated!

23. Marc says:

Would like to see Upton & Rixton both back next season! Can’t stand Lindsay, the show needs to let her go & start fresh w/o her!!!!!

• Paula says:

Upton – don’t know yet; Rixton – NO, he was just meh; Lindsay – agree, so over her; Miss the patrol aspect and liked Burgess better there; really miss Antonio and Mouch!!

24. Nikolette Adams says:

What about a new Dick Wolf show, back in NYC, with Lindsey as a lead, working with the FBI unit? Seems possible to me.

I watch all of the Chicago shows, though not as excited about Justice. If they don’t give Stone some depth, some flaws, and make the show less earnest, I probably won’t be continuing watching it. It hasn’t been renewed yet, so maybe no one will.

What I do know is that Wolf already has another show in the pipeline, a reality based crime show, I think. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bush heading a NYC based show, which would also keep Halstead in the mix and open up crossover potential.

I was and still am a Law and Order fan, still watch the reruns of the original. Wolf knows how to build ensembles that work, with actors that know their stuff. I’m sticking with the franchise, whether Bush comes back or not. The finale of Fire was hard to watch, am more interested in who makes it out alive than who comes back on PD. I’m a fan for as long as any of them last, with the caveat of Justice.

25. JMark (formerly JM) says:

Was really shocked by that ending, but I hope she leaves. This is the second time they have teased that she might be leaving. If she isn’t, then as a viewer, I will feel jerked around. The proposal felt forced, and I completely with Will that it’s a mistake. Keep Tracy and let Erin go.

26. Sophia Bush..
    Gosh I really hope she returns next season but if I had to lose her character, the new girl is also hot. Liked her already but praying Spohoamcomes back.

27. Madeline says:

I hope Sophia bush isn’t leaving n I love Tracy spiradakos I hope she stays

28. Denis Donovan says:

Its important to remember that this is a Dick Wolf show and revolving door co-stars are a hallmark of Wolf’s shows.

29. Rusd says:

Maybe Lindsey’so FBI gig can begin another spinoff. Or she comes back to PD. Just can’t not see Lindsey on something.

30. Bill says:

If Sophia is leaving, then it is the best kept secret in Hollywood, a place until the Trump White House came along was the worse place for kept secrets.

31. Julie T Potter says:

I don’t want Lindsay to leave. I like her with Jay and I love her relationship with Voight. I really hope she is back next season.

32. Bea Wolfe says:

I love this show! Voight is incredible on this show. I wish he had more publicity he needs a PR agent. Their relationship is self learning. He loves her dearly and yet handles family and work really well and she truly knows it. The dog tag was a nice touch. This show needs more recognition from NBC!!!!

33. Lillibeth says:

Yes!! Erin, go to NY! Nothing against the actress but I am so sick of her character and all her depressing drama. There are so many more possibilities the writers could explore without focusing all the continual drama around her. Yes, others get a MOMENT now and then but nothing like her, except for Voight and sometimes Jay, who are also getting on my nerves.

34. Shelly says:

Lindsay is my favorite character on the show and I am going to be thoroughly disgusted if they actually take her off. As for this new girl I don’t like her. The other girl that was on the task force also that they just took off was good if they wanted to keep another female on the task force. I don’t know how long I will keep watching the show now. I think Chicago justice sucks and I only like Chicago fire and Chicago med but PD I love unless Lindsay goes then I go😡

35. LeAnn says:

If Sophia leaves I’m not going to watch the show

36. jean binkley says:

I just hope Erin will return to the show and get engaged to Jay. That would be awesome.

37. Joe Gracie says:

I would like to see a spin off of chicago PD and the character Linsey working undercover for FBI.is this possible? Joe

38. Chris says:

It sucked when Erin left the first time that’s why she was brought right back. This show will not be the same without her. I probably will not continue to watch because she made that show and this new girl could never take her place. All these beloved characters moving on . Is it the show? The network? What is it? If it’s her choice then I hope she finds bigger and better things. She will be missed and never forgotten.

39. Glenna says:

I do hope that Lindsay returns and that she and Jay get back together. I disagree with Will it’s not about saving her because Jay has his own demons too, it’s about two people sticking together through better or worse.

40. Gisele Duplantis says:

I really enjoy all the Chicago shows BUT I hope that Sophia Bush is not leaving the show , i also do not Chicago fire Matt Casey and mouch to be leaving . Dick wolf you have amazing​ shows but please stop removing important people out of your shows…

41. Eilene says:

Please don’t lose Lindsay on the show. She is a big part of the team. With Burgess off and Mouch dying on Chicago Fire, it’s disconcerting to have favourite characters leaving…for whatever reason.

42. GB says:

They already did the Lindsay leaving thing and she came right back…

43. Valerie Tower says:

I don’t want Lindsay to leave the show! Hope she’ll be back. Another excellent season of CPD. One of my favorite shows.

44. Unknown Kattan says:

Show wont be the same with Sophia Bush. Please don’t go.

45. Leisa says:

I really hope things work out for Officer Lindsay to stay with Intelligence and I would LOVE to see her and Officer Halsted get engaged. They b

46. kh5z4g says:

If we could keep Lindsey that would be wonderful

47. Clifford Warstler says:

I believe Lindsay is leaving to start a new show, “New York FBI Undercover!”

48. Karen Spaulding says:

Please keep Lindsey! I will not watch the show if she leaves. Lindsey and Bought are the Team, we can’t loose that. The engagement not so much, we already had that 2 seasons ago and we know how that went. Love the show, have been a fan since day one, please don’t disappoint Lindsey’s​ fans!!!!!

49. ERNESTINE GOLLEY says:

I hope she’s coming back on the PD she’s really good it sucks that she’s leaving

50. ERNESTINE GOLLEY says:

I hope she’s coming back