Roseanne Revival Lands at ABC — But Who's Playing Becky?!

Roseanne is headed back home.

ABC, the landmark comedy’s original network, has beat out Netflix for rights to an eight-episode present-day revival featuring pretty much the entire original cast, including titular star Roseanne Barr, leading man John Goodman (Dan) and supporting players Sara Gilbert (Darlene), Laurie Metcalf (Jackie), Michael Fishman (D.J.) and Lecy Goranson (original Becky).

Sarah Chalke, who shared the role of Becky with Goranson, will appear in “another role,” per ABC.

“We’re rebooting Roseanne,” ABC president Channing Dungey confirmed Tuesday on a conference call with reporters, adding that the continuation “is planned for midseason.”

The series’ original producing team of Barr, Tom Werner and Bruce Helford are all on board, with Gilbert also taking an EP credit.

Last month, Gilbert staged a mini Roseanne revival with TV dad Goodman on the set of her CBS gabfest The Talk. At the time, Goodman expressed enthusiasm for an official revival. “Oh, hell yes… if we could get everyone together,” he said. “[Roseanne] and I did a pilot about five years ago that didn’t go anywhere…but we were very happy to work together.”

Per the official press release, the revived Roseanne will find the Conner family dealing “with the economic challenges of living pay check to pay check in 2018.”

1. LK says:

If it has the original cast, its a sequel not a reboot… get your terminology right ABC.

2. SamofSherwood says:

I’m kinda worried about you ABC..?

3. Ally Oop says:

Hopefully they just erase the last season so Dan can still be alive.

• Andrew Hass says:

I agree.They could say the last season was Dan’s dream after his heart attack or something.Darlene still had her baby but that was the only major thing that stayed the same.

• ToyCannon says:

Dan wasn’t dead in the last season. He was alive until the very end of the seroes finale when Rosanne changed a whole mess of plot points in a voiceover.

• J.B. says:

Everything that happened in S9 was Roseanne coping with the death of Dan, who we all thought survived his heart attack in S8 at Darlene’s wedding. None of it was real.
        “My writing’s really what got me through the last year after Dan died. I mean at first I felt so betrayed as if he had left me for another women. When you’re a blue-collar woman and your husband dies it takes away your whole sense of security. So I began writing about having all the money in the world and I imagined myself going to spas and swanky New York parties just like the people on TV, where nobody has any real problems and everything’s solved within 30 minutes. I tried to imagine myself as Mary Richards, Jeannie, That Girl. But I was so angry I was more like a female Steven Segal wanting to fight the whole world.” – Roseanne (series finale)

4. Butch says:

OMG which Becky will they use. Decisions Decisions

5. Jennifer says:

NO!!!!!! Try some new material. Stop rehashing every old show out there. There were so many great possibilities that you had for pilots. Why rehash old material?? It ended for a reason. It finished it’s run. Good lord stop already.

6. ToyCannon says:

Hopefully they ignore all the events of the “story” Roseanne told in the last 5 minutes of the series finale. Also, I wouldn’t mind rotating in Sarah Chalke as Becky for an episode or two,

7. Ria says:

This will only work if they rotate the Beckys from week to week. Oh, and also if this is 1990.

8. That’s a strange way to spell “Firefly revived on FOX” which is the revival we all want but can’t seem to ever see.

Seriously, I’m always up for more John Goodman, and it’s interesting he’s back despite the handicap of his character being killed off. Clone, robot, or long lost twin! Take your bets.

• Bennett999 says:

Another reboot people want is Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated for season 3 fans have been demanding Cartoon Network for years for it after ending it to promote Adventure Time. Show us what happened to the gang on there way to the University . And they gave us that crap Be Cool Scooby Doo instead of listening to the demands.

9. Nick says:

I love the rotating Becky’s idea…they say she’s the same , but she’s not the same…

10. Van says:

Mark is actually dead, how’s that going to work

• MsBaseball34 says:

I had the exact same thought; and will David make a guest appearance away from BBT?

• Stacey says:

Becky could be a widow? I know Roseanne’s previous idea for a reboot was that Mark went into the army and died in Iraq. That might come into play to play into the world today, and the wars…

• Mel says:

Yeesh – Mark and Becky divorced. It’s not that hard to come up with that. Lots of teenaged marriages end in divorce, and Becky was already tiring of him the last time Lecy played the role, in season 8.

• Kari Gostonczik says:

Yah sad. Overdose I believe.

11. Television says:

No this does NOT need to come back in any way. Can’t believe all the great shows out there are getting cancelled, but they will bring this back? What are they thinking?

12. jr. says:

A new Roseanne show, could allow for an all new focus, because she is much older, and her life crrcumstances have changed.

13. Tom_B says:

So, with Laurie Metcalf slated to star in the BBT prequel, will they recast Jackie or just write her out?

14. Piers says:

I would rather have seen her Downwardly Mobile project reach fruition.

15. BJ says:

They must have offered John Goodman a whole lot of money. He has an active movie career, and has not spoken especially fondly about his years on Rosanne. I wish him well.

16. So the lame ass ending with Dan being dead wasn’t real. That is good. But what about David? He is a little busy…and the actor who played Mark passed away.
    PS…Sarah Chalke is a way better Becky and she is a bigger name,

17. NAM says:

Blech! I see a new President in ABC’s future

18. Maria says:

So can they undo that whole “Dan died” thing? And maybe show David and Darlene’s daughter as …however old she’d be now?

19. Kar says:

How are they gonna explain no David?

20. If it’s a reboot going back to the beginning rather than a sequel, could the younger actors now be the adults and the older ones be the grandparents? Roseanne as Bev or Nana Mary, John as Al or Ed, Laurie as Bev or Audrey (Dan’s mom). Then we’d have Sara G as Roseanne, Lecy and Sarah as Jackie or Crystal, and Michael as…Leon? (not seeing him as Dan at all). While that would make an interesting skit, I can’t see a true reboot using these actors being able to last like that. Hopefully Channing misspoke and it’s a sequel/continuation rather than a reboot. And if it is a sequel I really hope Estelle Parsons can come back as Bev (if she’s overbearing mom early seasons Bev rather than shrieking shrew later seasons Bev)

21. Adam says:

Can they just give it to NBC so it can air behind Will & Grace 2017? That way I get one full hour of nostalgia once a week :)

22. Rex the Wonder Dog says:

I thought Dan died from a heart attack? How does he return?

• ToyCannon says:

Dan didn’t “die” until the last 5 minutes of the finale and it was only in a voice over by Roseanne where she mentioned other impossibilities like Mark marrying Darlene, David marrying Becky and Jackie being gay. None of that really happened.

23. Sandra Ceccato says:

Love the Roseanne rivival – finally some decent TV! People – reallity shows are not real movie stars – they are just cheap TV! Also, bring back Last Man Standing!!

24. Alichat says:

Why?

25. Red Snapper says:

I wish they would use Sarah Chalke as Becky. She was my favorite and definitely the better Becky. I have mixed feelings on this. I loved Roseanne growing up and I don’t want that ruined but they also kind of did that themselves with that awful ending.

26. This will be their major Republican bashing show.

27. ravynrobyn says:

🙌🙌 COMMENT OF THE WEEK 🙌🙌

28. Leesa says:

I loved this show because it showed a working class family that struggled financially at times and a lot of people could relate to them. I’m looking forward to seeing the reboot/ revival of the show.

29. L says:

Yay! Best tv news I have heard in a while

30. Phil says:

Not a fan of original Becky!

31. Mel says:

Great to hear that the underrated Lecy Goranson is back as Becky. Sarah Chalke has grown into a decent actress since the show ended, but her bubbleheaded Becky didn’t fit in on the show at all (her highly artificial performances didn’t help, either).

32. J.B. says:

Forget how the “Will & Grace” revival is going to address their series finale because “Roseanne” has some HUGE issues to address.
    1.) Will Dan still have died from the heart attack he had at Darlene’s wedding? Will Roseanne Barr use her “Where the Characters Are Now” idea she wrote about years ago?
    2.) Is Jackie going to be gay or will they go back to it being Bev?
    3.) Will Darlene & Mark and Becky & David be the real couples or will they go with Roseanne’s idea that they are more compatible the other way around?
    4.) Is Leon going to be as boring as Roseanne said he really was?
    5.) Will DJ have grown up to be the artist that Roseanne thought he would be?
    6.) Was S9 really Roseanne’s way of coping with the death of Dan or did she really win the lottery and do all those whacky things that happened? Like did Roseanne fight women-hating terrorists on a train and meet Steven Seagal?
    I. Need. Answers.

33. Ted says:

I don’t even care if they ignore the fact that Dan died. I am a huge fan of the show and it being back on the air is all I care about. I am so excited for this.

34. Homer says:

JR in Dallas was thought to be dead too abd they wrote him back. WHO SHOT JR?

35. msuehale says:

Have all studio heads run out of imagination? I can’t believe they are doing all these “reboots” will land them high numbers in ratings. Case in point Will and Grace and Roseanne. Won’t work.

36. Flashy says:

Yeah, isn’t Dan dead? Any word how they get around that?

37. Margaret says:

Can’t wait to see what mayhem the Conner family can create. I too was wondering about Dan being alive.

38. Stan Heck says:

They will act like the last season of “roseanne” does not exist.

39. chadcronin says:

This is the best news of the season. Extremely excited for them to be back! Been wanting this for a very long time. I will also buy these seasons!

40. Crystal says:

Yay so excited! I will be watching aa well as my whole family

41. Tory Maloney jr says:

Who is going to play mark? Glenn quinn is dead!?

42. Denise says:

In the last episode Roseanne was writing her book. Maybe she took poetic license with her writing and Dan never died. Did they really win the lottery? However I will not watch as long as Last Man Standing is cancelled. This show had very high rating. ABC dumbed it down to all of the liberal Hollywood clan.

43. Denise says:

44. Tony Reffitt says:

It will be strange to see Roseanne in her character with as much weight she has lost.

45. Yoko says:

Dan died. Was the original sitcom all a dream?

46. They’ll have to say not only is the last season a dream, but series finale, too. Which makes sense in a “chicken-egg” scenario, so all the complications of the finale are null & void. I don’t know when mother Bev came out as a lesbian, but if it happened in “lucid normal world” season 8, that has to end, too.

I can’t STAND soap elements in sitcoms… The “We were on a break!” Ross & Rachel drama. Seinfeld NEVER had that s**t & I loved it that way! The stupid drama of Will & Grace w/ Harry Connick Jr. (I hope the NBC revival doesn’t do that!). Now… that said– I actually DO (!!) like the tumultuous soap elements on Roseanne. Only Soap (late-’70s/early-’80s) & Roseanne hold that honour in my heart. Also, bring back The Arnold.

47. Jay says:

Who’s going to play the two husband’s?Mark and David?

48. Soraya E. says:

I’m confused. Is it a reboot or a continuation? Because aren’t those two different things?

49. Amanda says:

So the series finale never happened and Dan isn’t dead? I can’t imagine recapturing the magic of that show. I’ll probably give it a chance though.