Grey's Anatomy Spinoff About Firefighters Nabs Series Order at ABC

ABC is expanding the Grey’s Anatomy franchise yet again.

Four years after Grey’s spinoff Private Practice ended its run, the network has placed a series order for yet another offshoot, this one revolving around Seattle firefighters.

The series, penned by longtime Grey’s EP Stacy McKee, is set to bow in early 2018, presumably after How to Get Away With Murder ends its season.

“No one can interweave the jeopardy firefighters face in the line of duty with the drama in their personal lives quite like Shonda [Rhimes], and Grey’s signature Seattle setting is the perfect backdrop for this exciting spinoff,” said ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey in a statement.

Thoughts? Is ABC eyeing its own Seattle-based franchise a la NBC/Dick Wolf’s Chicago monopoly?

1. Matt C. says:

Well this is certainly unexpected. I guess Shonda is trying to be the Dick Wolf of ABC. However, wouldn’t it make more sense for Shondaland’s new legal show For the People to take over for HTGAWM in spring 2018? I can see this airing at 9 after Grey’s if Scandal gets a shorter final season as rumored.

• Haz says:

But why? Dick Wolf is a talented guy but all the crossovers and #OneChicago episodes was overkill and was why I dropped PD last season. To me it just kind of sounds unoriginal because most will liken it to how Wolf operates the Chicago shows or JAG/NCIS shared universe. I think ABC needs to do something else to help save the network.

• V.J. says:

I agree about this being unoriginal. And it´s lazy. They don´t need to attempt a copy of the Chicago shows (and maybe this is not what they are trying but then they need to sell it differently). But well… best of luck and maybe it´s good and different and exceeds expectations.
        As for #OneChicago: I think it is a good idea if done right. I liked (well, I still do for the most part) the cameos of the other Chicago show characters if they are organic (Jay popping up at Med and Will at P.D. from time to time makes sense as they are brothers and would talk to each other et cetera). But the #OneChicago event episodes often felt forced. I skipped the last one and will do so in the future. Especially since I dropped PD last fall and never started Justice.

• CdnStig says:

JAG/NCIS,LA,NOLA/Hawaii Five 0/Scorpion/MacGyver shared universe or Flarrow girl of tommorrow shared universe. If I watch one show in a series I will watch them all, except L&O SVU which has crossed over with Chicago PD a couple of times.

• Sally McLinn says:

I love the Chicago shows. Love them. They can crossover all they want.

• Kyle says:

I love the crossovers too. They have only got better. The first one felt forced but the most recent one that launched Justice felt natural because they didn’t try to fit every show into it but used characters from the entire universe.

• Carmen L Mercado says:

I Love the All Shows of #Chicago. They are awesome.

2. roni1133 says:

Ooh, please please make that female firefighter patient who Arizona asked out a series lead!

• fiberlicious says:

Love it!

I think that SR would better serve her viewers if she focused on fixing Grey’s before she splits her attention further on a new series.

• Jackie says:

Amen!!!! It’s just pointlessness to mess with something like that. Shonda needs to focus on one show and not mess with Dick Wolf’s franchise. It will just be another waste of time just like Greys is becoming.

• fatalsin says:

shes not writing this series… stacy mckee is… who is a EP on greys

• Anne says:

Oooo yes!!

3. Daniel says:

I guess this almost solidifies HTGAWM for S5.

2018-2019

8:00 – Greys Anatomy
    9:00 – Firefighter Spinoff
    10:00 – HTGAWM / For The People

For the people and the spinoff could switch depending on how well For the people does next season

• Matt C. says:

Unless the ratings totally plummet in season 4, I definitely think HTGAWM will be back for season 5. The powerhouse combination of Viola Davis + Shondaland would be tough to get rid of.

• Lyndy says:

How does this solidify a HTGAWM S5

• Cosmin says:

now that The catch is canceled, maybe HTAWM will get a full season

• Jon Willis says:

No it won’t. The reason HTGAWM has a shorter season is because Viola Davis doesn’t want to do a full length season.

• Mary says:

Well I don’t see it doing well if it gets the time slot against This is us, who is moving to Thursday night.

4. Daniel says:

Please make the guy who was married to April apart of the main cast!As well as the black lady who has recurred for multiple seasons

5. Lyndy says:

Would a GA character be moving to the Grey’s Firefighters

6. Van says:

Yea. Is anyone jumping over?

7. abz says:

Yeah, I feel like this is completely unnecessary especially since there’s already Chicago Fire for that. If they really wanted a Grey’s spin-off, how about take a character who’s been off the show for a while and follow up on them, such as Teddy or Izzie. OR maybe use one of Derek’s other three sisters and have a spinoff revolve around one of them or all three of them if they live close together. His fourth sister, Kathleen, hasn’t even appeared on the show, so they could come up with a whole background for her with many crossover possibility with Greys given that Amelia and Meredith are on the show.

• Lyndy says:

Lol Katherine H should def stay away from any TV shows for now…

• abz says:

I don’t care what people say. Izzie was one of the best characters this show had in the first few seasons. So I will forever want to see a follow-up happen. I know it’s wishful thinking, but I still think it should happen.

• Lyndy says:

Yeah…even in saying that, I doubt Shonda would even touch the character of Izzie/ KH with a ten foot pole…there are so many other GA characters that she’d rather go with before she gets to Izzie..But, it’s good to hope.

• Mark Green says:

One of the best characters on the show? Bahahaha, in your dreams.

• abz says:

I seem to recall she was the only one of the cast to win an Emmy for their character.
            She was a great character and one of the best parts of the early seasons.

• Britt says:

Actually abz I believe Sandra Oh won an Emmy as well

• abz says:

@Britt. As per IMDB, Sandra Oh was nominated multiple times, but never won an Emmy. She did win a Golden Globe for the role. Heigl was the only regular cast member to win an Emmy I believe.

• Gospino says:

I loved Izzie but would be shocked to see Heigl as her again. A recast would be more likely, sadly.

• Artlady says:

I agree! I love Katherine Heigl, and loved her Izzy! To bad she’s gone! Plus, I loved her in “Doubt” which was cancelled abruptly. It was excellent, and so was she!

• Say what you will about Heigl but Izzie was a fantastic character and she played her with a lot of heart. If we’re giving people like Depp, Casey Affleck and Mel Gibson a second chance, Katherine Heigle who’s only crime is having a years old bout of a foot in mouth issue seems like someone who should be allowed the benefit of the doubt.

• Stacy says:

I don’t disagree with you about second chanced in Hollywood. However, as far as acting goes, I don’t find her all that likable, charismatic or talented compared to Depp or Gibson. She doesn’t seem to play a wide range of characters, either.

8. Ben says:

Interesting. I mean I love Dick Wolf’s series about firefighters etc. so I’ll give it a go

9. Liz says:

oh gads. Why?

• ? says:

Serious question, for anyone who can answer: Since when has straight-up copying an idea (like ABC is trying to do here with NBC’s Chicago setup) EVER worked? I feel like we see this sort of thing every single new TV season, or in the movies after an unexpected hit, and the copies ALWAYS flop. Yet they keep trying. Why? Can anyone give examples of a me-too copy series, idea, or movie that didn’t fail?

10. Shib says:

It won’t be as good as Chicago Fire
    ABC keeps GA on because they can’t find anything else but there has to be shows better than one that sucks

11. Ray says:

Are there no original ideas left in Hollywood? This is the reverse of Chicago Med spinning off from Chicago Fire/PD.

• Dysturbed says:

After decades and decades of programming, getting something original that networks expect to work is going to be rare, though it’s nice when it happens!

12. Will says:

Seattle Fire, coming soon to ABC!

13. jml says:

The appeal of ordering another spinoff of their biggest show makes total sense to me. I doubt the presence of Chicago Fire on the schedule concerns ABC very much. This week’s episode of Grey’s will obviously have firefighters in it and is written by Stacy McKee, so even though the finale is not the backdoor pilot, I wonder if we’ll be seeing any characters who could end up on the spinoff this week.

14. Jennifer says:

Really? Seattle Med? Now Seattle Fire? Come on. New ideas, please!!!

15. Channing Dungey is clueless. Spin-off and game shows and anything to do with people in serious jobs (quantico) more worried about getting naked and cheating on each other. Disney should NOT be running a network. They’ve made a mess of ABC which now stands for (A)nything (B)ut (C)ompelling. PERIOD!!

• ? says:

Yeah, I don’t see her keeping her job much longer. Once American Idol bombs that’s going to be the nail in her coffin. It’s too bad, I thought her takeover of the network had so much promise at first. But we can all clearly see a disaster in the making here with ABC’s upcoming season, right?

16. MMD says:

So we have a Dick Wolf wannabe with Shonda Rhimes. Sounds like a ridiculous and completely redundant idea only in reverse and located in Seattle rather than Chicago.

17. They dumped the great “Last Man Standing” for ANOTHER fireman show? I’m guessing the firemen are Democrats/liberals. Typical brilliant (???) ABC programming.

• Lauren says:

I think your anger at the world is interfering with your ability to have a cohesive thought.

• Dustin says:

I think they dumped Last Man standing because it was going into it’s 7th season when pay bumps occur and they don’t own the show 20th Century Fox does. Even though it did good ratings it really didn’t do well with younger viewers and since ad money is almost all they make off that show the fact that it didn’t do well enough with the demo ad buyers want played a factor. They also seem to want Friday night to be a sci Fi night with Once Upon A Time and the Marvel shows. Consider in this firefighter show won’t debut until 2018 makes me think it has nothing to do with Last Man Standing being cancelled. They have two nights available for comedies in the fall, We’d/Thur, and LMS doesn’t really fit with them. But the main reason I’d say is that they don’t own the show and not enough advertisers want to buy time. No big Democrat/Liberal agenda just an aging show that would cost more to pay a big star, cast, and crew on the 7th year pay bumps that all shows get. They also cancelled The Real O’Neal’s so not sure how that would play into your liberal conspiracy but doesn’t seem like rational thought played into it anyways so…. Shows get cancelled, sucks if you like them. I liked Happy Ending, an actual smart/funny show but they kept Last Man Standing cause it got more viewers. I got over Happy Endings, I hope you can make it through LMS ending. Maybe try Fox News, you won’t find any liberal agenda over there.

ABC still makes a lot of money from Grey’s and it a top rated show. I love it, I still never miss an episode. Still well written with characters I love. I can see them wanting to do a spin off. Hope this works out. I do like the idea someone above had of using Teddy. I loved they mentioned her in last weeks episode. I thought Kim Raver was great as Teddy and really liked her storyline. That would be a spin off I’d love to see, especially with her heading up that military hospital in Germany. Won’t happen but could be very interesting. Even if there are similarities with the Chicago series I’m sure Shonda and crew will make it their own. There have been tons of medical shows, I think we can handle two different takes on firefighters. Not interested then don’t watch, it’s kind of that simple. Ratings will tell if it was a good idea or not. I’ll check it out cause I like the Shonda shows, I’m sure many of the Grey’s fans will, if it’s as compelling as Grey’s has been for the last 13 years then I’m sure it’ll work. BTW those who complain about Grey’s don’t usually watch it but hey it’s doing something right cause it still has a heck of a lot of Dan’s who watch every week. Just my thoughts.

• Dustin says:

Apologies on some mistakes, my phone autocorrected and I thought I caught them all. Oops.
        Considering not Consider
        Fans not Dan’s
        Probably a few more but it is what it is, sorry.

18. Pam Maes says:

I hope it’s not a copycat of Chicago Fire because NOTHING can compare to Chicago Fire!

19. Adam says:

It’s about time!!! Should have happened years ago.

20. LMF says:

love this. the Chicago series is on CBS and I really like the francise. I really miss Private Practice. Love the idea around Seattle..

• Jennifer says:

Chicago series is on NBC, not CBS. CBS has the NCIS franchise. I can see where it gets confusing :)

21. Mark Green says:

Really, ABC?

How about a little diversity instead of playing it safe?

Disney has hindered you.

• Adam says:

I actually feel like ABC has tried diversity in programming and has failed miserably. Good for them for following suit and (finally) creating a dramatic franchise. It has kept CBS the most watched network and saved NBC from becoming what ABC is today.

22. westwingwolf says:

I don’t have a problem with there being another firefighter show when there is already Chicago Fire because there are plenty of medical shows on and that doesn’t stop me from watching Grey’s Anatomy, Chicago Med, and Code Black. My issue is that when I started watching Chicago Fire, I knew I had to be careful because I’d get attached to characters who are often in dangerous situations. The Grey’s Anatomy universe already has their doctors often in unlikely dangerous situations. Take a premise where these dangerous situations are much more likely to occur, and I’ll be lucky if any character I like survives.

23. Robberey says:

Firefighters ripping of their shirts above their six-packs, rescuing young beautiful and disorientated women from burning buildings and starting love triangles with them…
    Do we really need that…?

• Mollilyoos says:

I guess you never watched Third Watch, Chicago Fire cause those shows are not about firefighters taking their clothes off and rescuing beautiful women. Can you be more ignorant?

24. boxmel says:

I am an avid Chicago Fire fan and can’t see any reason to have another fireman show in Seattle – or anywhere else.

25. Pam Gillespie says:

Sounds to me like they’re going to try for a #OneSeattle franchise. Sorry ABC, but you’re a good 5 years too late. Anything they put out there would be seen as an attempt to pull from Dick Wolf’s well-established world; I would have a look, but would be right skeptical from the start because of the seamlessness of #OneChicago.

26. dude says:

Really? No one can write a show about firefighters? Even though this is a direct rip-off of an established network television hit?

27. dude says:

Guess they’ll be doing a cop show and a legal drama next. Then…Seattle trash collectors!

28. Lex says:

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves here. If there’s a handful of medical shows, detective shows, teen shows on at one point in time, can’t there be multiple firefighter shows? I’ve often wondered why Shondaland shows don’t take place in the same universe. Always thought it would be cool to find out Amelia knows Alice from The Catch, etc. And I also don’t think launching an entire franchise is something Shonda would do.

29. Robberey says:

Will be called “Flames of Love“ by the way….

30. cuius says:

Another “me too” network show – looks like they’re giving up trying to compete with HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc. – just becoming a downward spiral

31. Yes-Yes Y'all says:

Shonda must own 51% of SRC, oops, I mean ABC because they greenlight all of her shows.

32. Jessica Leigh says:

I have so many things to say about this, but I’ll only say is ~ How unnecessary

33. Dannie C says:

Oh boy ..

34. Kathy Ann Holbrook says:

if it’s only half as good as Chicago FD, it will be a great show….

35. Pamela says:

I’m not interested but I’m glad for the people that will look forward to it. I just hope this isn’t the first of too many spin offs like was done with Chicago. I would rather the focus be on improving Greys first.

36. jimmyu says:

I have the perfect title, Seattle Fire. Then in a couple of years we can get Seattle PD and then Seattle Med. Oh wait.

37. Stacy says:

“If Chicago Fire can spawn Chicago Med, then Grey’s Anatomy can spawn Seattle Flame!” – Shonda & ABC

38. Stacy says:

I’d be far more interested in a firefighting show set somewhere like California where wildfires are more common, and therefore a more believable drama.

• Theo Kamis says:

They had one, the best firefighting show on television ever, in LA (County) – blame (or credit) Jack Webb and R. A. Cinader for “Emergency!”…

…for Shonda fans, Cinader and Webb even tried a backdoor pilot called “Seattle One” (Webb was 0-2 in backdoor pilots from “Emergency!”)…

…as for believable drama, “Chicago Fire”, gets a lot of details absolutely right (look up “Red X Program”, as one example)…but Dick Wolf is 0-2 in trying to do a program better than Jack Webb (Dragnet being the other), as good as CF is, Emergency! is a lot better imho…

39. Sally McLinn says:

As far as I’m concerned, Chicago Fire is the ULTIMATE firefighter show. And boy did they end the finale tonight with a bang. I can’t wait until the fall….I just can’t wait to see who died.

40. Vanessa says:

I know that there have been so many cop, crime, law, and medical shows, whose runs often overlap, but something about firefighting/EMT just doesn’t seem like there’s a need to have multiple shows about it at a time or enough stories to go around without being heavily repetitive. I won’t watch but I’m curious as to what angle they’ll take to make it seem unique and not like Chicago Fire-Lite.

41. kmw says:

Really now ABC is ripping off Dick Wolf? So I guess that means we have a ton of Seattle shows coming down the pipe. This isn’t what I meant when I said ABC needs to prepare for a day without Grey’s. However this one could be interesting depending on who they cast.

42. Forgetful After Wine says:

I can’t remember so help pls. Wasn’t there a Gray’s episode with a really hunky EMT earlier this season (or last?) that people had said would be a great spinoff? I can’t remember who the guy was, but he’s gone on to bigger things, right? or is he gonna be on the spinoff. Or have I had way too much wine tonight?

43. Ella says:

Why doesn’t she stick to her original plan of war correspondents?

44. ella jasper says:

Still mad they cancelled The Catch, but guess they knew they’d give Shonda another series if they did.

45. K Muck says:

Next up, Seattle Justice.

46. tilly says:

Mmm I guess we’re going to see very handsome firefighters, Ben will become a fire fighter having realised surgery is not his thing. Lovelorn Maggie will find love with a fire fighter. LOL.
    I got it wrong about Megan being alive but there’s still a pregnancy and an ‘I love you ‘ spot on the May spoilers list. Surely Shonda is wise enough not to rerun the Meredith/Derek and Adison SL again.