12 Monkeys Season 3

12 Monkeys EP on 'Satisfying' Season 3 Binge Rollout, Welcoming New Viewers

12 Monkeys‘ Season 3 binge-a-thon this weekend may just be the key to deciphering time travel’s sometimes confusing intricacies.

Syfy’s decision to air the new season over three consecutive nights (starting this Friday at 8/7c ) is a good move for the heavily serialized, time-hopping drama, executive producer Terry Matalas believes.

In today’s TV environment, “this is how people like to consume this show,” Matalas says. “More and more, people just want to get it all at once, and this is a story [where] it’s great to have all the puzzle pieces fresh in your mind as you move on to the next episode.”

In Season 3, which premieres with four episodes on Friday (with limited commercials!) and continues with three installments each on Saturday and Sunday, “what fans and new viewers are going to see is one full, cohesive story… that’s intricate, with all its puzzle pieces,” Matalas adds. But since it will have just aired in its entirety, the journey is “fresh in your mind when it comes together. So I think it’s a more satisfying experience.”

And yes, the EP did say new viewers. The season opener starts with “a pretty clean recap” for those who have yet to catch up on the TVLine Peak TV Treasure and fear they have missed too much mythology to jump in now.

“You may not be up to speed on all the time-travel jumps, but the emotional story is really linear,” Matalas notes. “It’s a man trying to find the woman he loves, and a woman who is going to give birth to what, someday, will be a bad seed.”

That’s not so complicated, is it? Hit the comments to let us know if you’ll be tuning for the 12 Monkeys binge-a-thon.

1. oddzuki says:

This actually may be a VERY smart move on their part. With binge watching now a thing thanks to Netflix, shows like this will only benefit from the fast “shot in the arm”.

2. laurelnev says:

I think bingers always have streaming, and I have other committments this weekend and cannot afford to devote THAT much solid time to TV! I also LOVED the community discussions, digesting each episode, and sometimes even rewatching to catch what I’d missed the 1st time. I will DVR it and watch it when time allows. But I will miss the discussions and the comunity that being a fan has always meant. SyFy didn’t factor THAT in!

3. Television says:

I don’t actually like it being all in a row. Would rather it be one episode per week. Plus this was a great show, sad to see it go.

4. Joey Padron says:

Smart move they did to get new viewers to watch the show. Excited to watch the new season this weekend!

5. Nick Juhacz says:

So, they’re airing them all in 3 nights to keep the story fresh in our minds, but I bet we’re gonna have to wait another year to get season 4. So much for that fresh thought.

6. Fido says:

Having all eps at once (Netflix) is great if you want to mong out on the sofa for a weekend with a bucket of fried chicken and cartons of pineapple juice, but sucks if you like to have discussions about the latest ep on an online tv-chat-forum. Everyone watching at a different pace so it is hard to avoid being spoiled and giving spoilers. Maybe this 3ps/day will be the perfect balance, though methinks I should really finish of Season 2 beforehand. :)

7. Simon says:

Do you know when this will be coming to the UK?

8. Nan says:

I’m taping will not be watching live but am glad I can watch all the shows together without waiting. Love this show.

9. Jennifer says:

Yes i’ll be watching. I can’t wait!

10. Onlinelady says:

I’ll be watching the whole binge weekend. Best. Time. Travel. Series. EVER!

11. Onlinelady says:

I’ll be watching the whole binge weekend. Best. Time. Travel. Series. EVER!

12. cmorcat says:

Be there or be a bad monkey’s uncle…

13. What’s going on with Hulu?! They have yet to release episodes from season 3 and it’s the 22nd!!! What gives!

14. jr23 says:

only June 22 just got sling got 8 ep watched and they pulled it from streaming on sling and website . and it’s rare for older syfu series to get streamed on any service unless you pay per ep