the voice recap season 12 top 8

The Voice Top 8 Performance Recap: Which Singers Aced Their Semifinals?

Honest question: Did anybody tune in to Monday’s semifinals of The Voice Season 12 not knowing for sure which singer would be getting their vote? I know when I sat down to recap it up, I was decidedly behind Chris Blue. Even if he had the offest of off nights and gave the worst performance of his run on the show, he was still going to get my support, because by that point, I had been more than satisfactorily dazzled. So it got me to wondering how many of the rest of you had also already chosen “your” contestant. And what would another competitor have to do to entice you over to their side? Was it even possible? Did any of them pull it off? Read on, and we’ll go over the performances, then hit the comments to discuss.

Hunter Plake (Team Gwen), “With or Without You” — Grade: C+ | As his coach noted in rehearsal, Hunter has become known for flipping songs. But rather than play to that artistic strength, he stuck pretty close to U2’s original rendition of the ’80s classic, which oddly drew attention to a few missteps (dubious timing, a bum note here and there) and gave him too few chances to soar in the fashion to which we’ve become accustomed. Snoozeville.

Chris Blue (Team Alicia) and Vanessa Ferguson (Team Alicia), “If I Ain’t Got You” — Grades: B+ (Chris), A+ (Vanessa) | Sweet Jiminy Cricket, these two absolutely slayed their coach’s song! Vanessa not only sounded smooth as silk, she might have actually done what I’d have sworn was impossible and outshone Chris. Make no mistake — he was still terrific. But I’ll be damned if this wasn’t Vanessa’s best performance yet on the show!

TSoul (Team Blake), “Ain’t No Way” — Grade: A- | Tackling a female song for the first time — and one by Aretha Franklin, no less! — TSoul displayed stunning vulnerability, getting so caught up in the number that it was easy to get lost in the moment right along with him. He stumbled a little toward the end, but only a little, and had regained his vocal footing in time to nail his falsetto notes and finish strong.

Brennley Brown (Team Gwen), “Suds in the Bucket” — Grade: B+ | Bopping away from the ballads to show another side of herself, the 15-year-old proved that she for sure could handle an upbeat toe-tapper, just not quite as well as she could a tearjerker. She still dazzled on the big notes — there’s no stopping that voice — but seemed to struggle at times with the quirkier bits. Girl just needs to learn to have fun!

the voice recap top 8 performancesAliyah Moulden (Team Blake) and Hunter Plake (Team Gwen), “Let It Go” — Grades: B+ (Aliyah), B (Hunter) | When Carson Daly announced that these two had been paired for a duet, I thought, “Train wreck coming down the pike.” They just seemed too stylistically different to work well together. And they were too different. The number didn’t gel, and neither did their harmonies. On the plus side, at least they both sounded pretty good individually, in particular Aliyah, who not only sang beautifully, she enunciated the lyrics.

Lauren Duski (Team Blake), “Ghost in This House” — Grade: B | In rehearsals, Lauren was sounding tremendous on this Shenandoah heartbreaker. But on stage, she actually came off a little unsure. Part of that might have been the sadness of the song, the emotion. But part of it — and this really surprised me, coming from her, since she’s usually pitch perfect — seemed to be actual iffy notes. Guess she’s human after all? Helluva singer, but human.

TSoul (Team Blake) and Jesse Larson (Team Adam), “I Wish” — Grades: A- (TSoul), A- (Jesse) | Unlike Aliyah and Hunter, the pairing of TSoul and Jesse made sense not only on paper but on stage. Their voices complimented one another’s nicely, and though neither of them have moves to rival Chris’, they both looked like they were having a good time. Also worth noting: Jesse seemed more comfortable on this Stevie Wonder cover than he did on The Time’s “Jungle Love.” No complaints.

Chris Blue (Team Alicia), “Take Me to the King” — Grade: A | At this point, I’m running out of superlatives to throw in Chris’ direction. This performance found him going from an almost inaudible whisper to a roar so thunderous, it could have shaken the angels out of heaven. You could tell he was feeling it, too — afterwards, he was so electrified, he had to walk off some of that energy before he could stand still and hear his coach’s reaction.

Vanessa Ferguson (Team Alicia), “Superstar” — Grade: B+ | Exchanging her trademark hat for an evening gown, Vanessa put her own spin on The Carpenters’ classic… to mixed results. When she was able to turn up the volume and really belt, she sounded amazing. But until she got to that point in the song, the dramatic arrangement was the big sell, not her vocals, which is a shame, seeing as her duet with Chris was such a triumph.

Lauren Duski (Team Blake) and Brennley Brown (Team Gwen), “Good-Hearted Woman” — Grades: A (Lauren), A (Brennley) | Huh — this spunky performance by Brennley was everything that I wanted from her on “Suds in the Bucket.” She owned this. As for Lauren, she looked and sounded so at home on this number, you’d have sworn she’d been playing the Grand Ole Opry for decades. And I know it seems like I’m giving out good grades right and left, but by the time we get to the semifinals, we should be getting more great performances than so-so, right?

Jesse Larson (Team Adam), “I Was Wrong” — Grade: A | I think we might have just witnessed an exorcism, because sure as hell, Jesse sang like a man possessed. Oftentimes over the course of this season, I’ve been bewildered by the Jesse love. He’s a good singer and seems like the swellest of guys. But was he all that? “Eh,” I thought. Well, with this number, I finally got it. This was absolutely smokin’!

Aliyah Moulden (Team Blake), “I Can Only Imagine” — Grade: B- | If nothing else, this kid oughta have an amazing future doing the singing for animated Disney heroines; her voice is clear as a Belle. Here, as enormous as her voice is, she seemed to be fighting to be heard over the band and her backup choir. Not a bad performance, but not the sorta showstopper that could compare to Chris’ work on “Take Me to the King” or Vanessa’s on “If I Ain’t Got You.”

So, did anyone steal your vote away from your previous favorite? If so, who? And, of course, who did you think gave the night’s best performance? Vote in the polls below, then hit the comments.

1. Davey says:

I don’t care what TV Line thought about Hunter’s performance I’m just voting for him tonight. He has been the most interesting artist besides Chris Blue. And I thought Jesse and T-Soul’s duet was a bore. If it wasn’t bloodbath week I would vote for others but not tonight.

• Eileen says:

I agree about Hunter. He’s my favorite but I didn’t like the fact that he didn’t change a song up for tonight. Maybe this was the night he should have done Coldplay or Radiohead. Still, C+??? Shame on you, Charlie!

• Hunter is a mediocre singer. He’s also boring. All of the other seven could be in the finals and it would be completely understandable, objectively.

• davmon says:

Am a fan of Hunter being, say, Top 4. But tonight was off. First third, too anemic, too under-articulated. When hear-able, he was very good. This guy has some real artistry. But he may be too avant-garde to go deep. May have a Radiohead-style career.

2. Gorgonzola Matrix says:

Adam ima let you finish but CHRIS BLUE HAD THE BEST PERFORMANCE TONIGHT, ARGUABLY THE BEST OF THE WHOLE SEASON AND YOU DID NOT JOIN THE OTHER COACHES IN A STANDING OVATION BUT CHOSE RATHER TO SIT AND POUT.

IF YOU WANNA WIN MAYBE NEXT SEASON, PLAY THE JESUS CARD.

• Gorgonzola Matrix says:

Im not even a chris blue fan but i just woke up

• davmon says:

Chris was best. Am not a fan of religious pandering, especially late in competition; but otherwise a good song choice. Great start; good pocket. An ebb midway. Back strong 2/3 to end. A couple off notes. The only A of this night.

3. Johnson says:

I also didn’t find either Jesse or T-Soul or their duet together, to be any great shakes. Sorry Adam, but no, Jesse can’t win this thing. I also thought Vanessa did fine, but nothing to rmember. also I liked Aliyah;s voice more than Brennley’s Lauren made a good song choice and sold it well..

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Agree, Jesse and TSoul were bad, and I agree that Aliyah sounded better than Brennley. She looked awkward with that guitar and didn’t seem to be able to focus on her vocals, because she was trying to play as well. Vanessa sang well, but that arrangement was so sleepy!

• Team Can't Vote for the Save says:

Totally agree.

• Jathy Wagner says:

Brennley reminded me of a female Eddie Rabbit, she kept jumping around and it was nearly impossible to concentrate on her singing when she was jerking all over the place I think when Gwin told her to have fun and be 15 B took it a little too young.

• Lizzie says:

I find her performances to be distracting in a very bad way, with over-singing, over-emoting, over-reacting, over.

4. Biobo says:

Said all along that it would most likely be between Chris and Lauren. Lauren is my choice, but I would not be disappointed with Chris. They both are pretty terrific! Like Brenley and Aliyah, but they need more polish. Vanessa did herself well, but not sure if enough… Other two will probably be Hunter and Jesse, but no matter, will be between Chris and Lauren… in my mind!

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Absolutely, they are my #1 and 2, just in reverse. :)

• Team Can't Vote for the Save says:

We must be related; I keep agreeing with you! I’d love to see Chris win, but Lauren has really grown on me.

• Meme says:

Agreed! Chris Blue all the way to the win!!! Lauren has a beautiful voice but not much of a stage presence.

• Troll says:

I liked T-Soul (not a great singer but loved the song), and Lauren Duski the most tonight. The rest, while some cry they are the greatest, most incredible, amazing, gift to the Gods of music, ever, ..were all just “other stuff, ok but soon forgotten stuff”.

• Voice Fan says:

Lauren is my favorite and since she is number 1 and has consistently ranked higher in I-Tunes than anyone, she has a good chance of winning. I am disappointed that Brennley is ranking so low on I-Tunes. I thought she sang her heart out. Brennley has always ranked high on I-Tunes with her emotional ballads Gwen sabotaged Brennley by giving her a “fun” song but what do you expect from a singer whose signature song is “Hollaback Girl.” Brennley would have been number 2 or 3 had Gwen given her a gospel song to sing. But then she might have knocked out Gwen’s favorite to win: Hunter. Chris and Alija ranked higher on I-Tunes because they sang gospel songs.. Now that they introduced the Voice App and the twitter save, I-Tunes doesn’t determine who wins or gets in the finale. Chris and Alija did better on I-Tunes than they have before because they sang Christian songs. Country fans might vote Brennley in the top three like they did country singer Barrett Baber Hunter who had lower I-Tune sales than other singers.

• Jathy Wagner says:

I so agree that Benely didn’t gave a chance with Suds in a Bucket. And I had to laugh when Gwen was showing Brenely how she should sing the song!! The last young girl Gwen had on her team she ruined by cutting her hair, dying it almost white and giving it a funky style.

• Voice Fan says:

As a mother of boys, Gwen wants a “little girl” she can turn into a mini Gwen. “Suds in a Bucket” was a song Gwen would sing if she was a teenage country singer. She even said “I wanted a little girl and I got her” when she stole Brennley. She wants Brennley to be a country version of Gwen Stefani. In Season 9, Gwen’s “little girl” was Korin Buckowski. She was a freckled redhead and after Gwen made her over she looked just like a younger Gwen. The girl wasn’t happy because in her last performance, she ditched the blonde wig, red lipstick and tons of makeup and mini skirts and looked like her real self.

• Lizzie says:

Suds in the Bucket is a song that isn’t exactly anything but kind of fun when Sarah Evans sings it, but it was a mess by Brennley. Blake paired Lauren and Brennley together against each other to show what Lauren has that Brennley does not, partly due to age, but more due to vocal gift. Brennley seems like a nice girl, she is a little ahead of herself in being on The Voice, and I am not a big fan of the sound of her singing voice. She has some talent, and a lot of drive to make something of herself, but she sings bigger and louder than she should, and really all of her performances are just so overwrought it is hard to watch, and to listen. Brennley and Hunter would be the “surprise” to the show tonight if they go home.

• Troll says:

Gwen should be barred as a coach for several reasons.

• davmon says:

ALIYAH is at #7 on I-Tunes. I had her at #7 out of 8 for the night. She has charm. She’s cute. Showed a lot of leg. Sang a religious tune. Is on Blake’s team. But her vocals are not worthy of the semis, much less the finals. So I do not get the I-Tune lovefest. She is the kind of sweet, charming, talented gal who does well in teen roles in tv comedy. But she should have been gone last week, when she lost composure. And this time, her 2nd half was warbly; her adlibs were quixotic. I only had her ahead of TSoul, who overcooked & was pitchy early on his song, then got better; but was dodgy at end. Looks like I-Tunes will be her ticket to next week though.

• OrionOnion says:

Agree.

• Smokey says:

The studio versions of all of the top 8 were pretty good. ………………Brennley was formerly on a talent show before the voice…………….. Lauren Duski is a better singer and more pleasant to listen to, than Brennley………automatic elim’s tonight should be T-Soul and Jesse and ?? . …. kind of a Cluster after Lauren at the top, if they are going to take the “total body of work” meaning total Itunes sales since the start of releasing their songs on itunes…… Aliyah and Chris both hit top 10 now ….

• Jess says:

I agree with you. I think she’s doing well because the the religious cr&* she sang. I think that appeals to a good amount of the audience that watches the show. she has gotten better as the weeks progress – and people do like to see improvement. I think she’ll undeservedly make the finals.

• Lizzie says:

Brennley is very very good for a high school talent show. She has some bad vocal habits that she is hopefully still able to break. Gwen remains a fairly terrible coach, so she has nothing to offer this young girl who should have been encouraged even more to dial it back and learn to focus on the lyric and the quality of her singing, not how far up blast she can set the volume.

5. Kmg says:

For the most part, I agree with what you said here, especially about Chris. Holy cow. But seriously… Giving Tsoul an A??? I have yet to see what people like about him. He seems like a nice, genuine guy, but good lord, can he just sing a freaking note without beating it to death with fifteen runs that have no purpose? Problem is when he goes off on those runs, he also completely loses the pitch on damn near every note he adds! Tonight he was awful! I was disappointed in Aliyah too… I love that song, but she completely changed the meaning of it and sounded like she had no idea what it was about, or how to sing it. For my money, the top four should be Chris, Jesse, Brenley, and Lauren.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

What was up with the kid dancers around Aliyah??? They were over-the-top and distracting.

• Smokey says:

Sometimes when these stage managers/directors want to put-on a big production, they way over-do things,,,,,,,,, and sometimes it detracts from the artist and they lose support rather than gain from it.

• davmon says:

Agree on TSoul. His start was overcooked & pitchy. He got better. But was messy on his end runs. He got my worst grade of night at C-.

6. JMark (formerly JM) says:

I was disappointed. I think the pressure of four singers going home just is too much for these singers, and it showed. ALL of them faltered, IMO. Having said that, Chris and Vanessa’s duet was easily the best performance of the night. And yes, I am biased on my favorite singers–it’s hard not to be at this point. Definitely voted for my Chris. Adam acted like a pouting teenager tonight. Two of his singers went home so I’m sure her complained, which is why he was the only coach who got to push for his singer not only after, but before he sang. Then he went on to diss Lauren, ‘That song doesn’t require much effort’ and not stand for Chris. He so needs a break from this show.

• Gorgonzola Matrix says:

You’re so on point about Adam. I never again want to hear his tired pitch “YOU CAN WIN THIS” because it’s disingenuous and insulting to everyone, and hasn’t much to do with anything except his own ego. I think Lilli would have gotten farther if Alicia had kept her.

• davmon says:

You are right about everybody slipping here and there. IMO only Chris was as high as A-. I had Lauren & Vanessa at B+. And Brennley & Jesse with B. Hunter is usually better; he was anemic on a great song–at B-. Aliyah & TSoul were pitchy with some messy adlibs–were Cs.

• analythinker says:

Um, I wouldn’t have given Chris a standing ovation as well and that was probably what I would have said about/to Lauren. They’re good, but NOT perfect singers.

7. Kimme Moores says:

Chris Blue better beat everyone on iTunes and Lauren better just drop out cause she’ll never amount to his greatness this man is a God.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

No singer should ‘drop out’, and especially Lauren, who I rank 2nd after Chris, of course, but who will probably win with the Blake machine behind her.

• Biobo says:

Well, right now, Lauren is #4, Chris #12, and Chris & Vanessa #19! Doubt she’ll be dropping out! And doubt she had pitch problems either!

• Biobo says:

Now it’s 4, 5, & 15!

• Kimme Moores says:

…She should still drop out ya’ll taking me far too seriously.
        Nonetheless Chris runs laps over the girl in performance and vocals.
        He does that to everyone, nobody can keep up with this man.
        He’s on a season where his talent level would better be challenged in previous ones like season 8 for example.

• Lizzie says:

Lauren doesn’t have any pitch problems inherently, but she did look like her earpieces might not have been working properly, she looked like there were several times when she couldn’t hear. Girl has great pitch overall, one of the nicest things about her vocal quality.

• Team Can't Vote for the Save says:

What are you? Twelve?

8. Smokey says:

itunes show Lauren already at #1 ,,, Chris will probably make top 10 soon, couple others in the teens that might make the cut. ………………………. with 3 out the door and a sing-off for the 4th spot, could be a cluster and close voting around those edges. …………………………………..I also don’t see how T-Soul and Jesse are going to hang-on against Chris/Vanessa & Hunter/Aliyah in the duet deals …………………. and are they scoring these duets somehow in half-votes or what?? I didn’t catch the first little bit of the show so didn’t hear.

9. Smokey says:

I just listened to the sample cuts of the studio recordings and they all sound good………….. Making top 4 is more a matter of capturing the largest audience through song choice, genre and good delivery…………..the band can help or hurt you with arrangement, the Stage props/supports/extra’s can help or hurt as well………………….

• Biobo says:

Used to do some sound work back in the day, and when the mix gets right, it’s magic! Their sound man sells the band, but he doesn’t sell the vocals, imo… Sometimes are better than others, but he misses too often! Makes me go Hmm! But then, I’m just a cynical old man anyway…

• Smokeyl says:

Know what you mean on running sound, and agree that at least from the tv watcher perspective, some songs are getting over-driven by too much band jangle when sent over the airways.

• Biobo says:

Well, I’m listening/watching through satellite Dolby digital and a complete Bose surround system… And too many times I want that vocal pod in my hand so I can bring the vocals out front! Aggravating!

10. analythinker says:

Am I the only one who’s not on the Chris Blue train? For me, there’s such thing as too much runs. I couldn’t hear his genuine voice.

Also, the Hunter-Aliyah duet might hurt him. And I still think Jesse is great, even though it’s hard for me to see him making the Top 4.

• Eli says:

I like Chris but I don’t think he is as good as some of the others are making him out to be. I thought he was horrible last week. For me Lauren easily owned the night and a lot of America seems to agree since at the time of posting she is number 1 on itunes.

• Lizzie says:

Last week when you didn’t like his performance, I thought it looked and sounded like something on the Grammy’s. This week his vocal wasn’t as good as several others, and making the guy stand still on a pillar doesn’t do much for his overall sound and performance.

• Meme says:

Think about going to a Lauren concert. What would you hear or see in diversity where stage presence, entertainment value, emotion, etc. are concerned. Everything she does is pleasant and peaceful, but enough is enough. I want to be rocked and inspired to the max where I have goose bumps and can’t wait to hear what that person is going to do next. Which one would you buy a ticket to see???

• Troll says:

I am not on that train either. If Chris is the real deal for either R&B or Pop or Christian music staying-power, he’s already had enough exposure, whether he wins or not, to get signed and ride the train to fame. And I don’t see Jesse making top 4 either. At best, he would have to win a sing-off to get there.

• danin says:

I was on the Chris train up until a few weeks ago. He is so off pitch when he reached high..I’m just not buying when he tries to cover up his weaknesses through performance.Same for TSoul. Vanessa’s my favorite. She can sing. Lauren doesn’t connect emotionally w/what she is singing, I don’t feel her though she has a good voice. Brennley is powerful.And Aliyah has a strong voice.Jesse is good too. Hunter has an interesting voice. TSoul has great tone but he needs a vocal coach.

11. tonythetank says:

TV line must be deaf. Let me tell you one artist here could make it in the business right away and that is Hunter. WHY?! He could be a front man for a band just like Adam. Chris is fantastic but his problem is his music is in the 1970’s and 80’s. Same for Tsoul. The 15 years old have so much potential and they will grow. And Lauren has so much competition as a female in Country. Please take that off your nose. So that is why Hunter who has this incredible voice could make in his own star group.

• Kimme Moores says:

Can’t wait to see Hunter fade into nothingness like the rest of the contestants.
      Lol, just cause Hunter fits and suits the type for his genre, that’s pretty mainstream, pretty well doesn’t mean he’s the best contestant my friend.
      ;)

• Lizzie says:

Hunter’s voice isn’t up to his aspirations. He might have a career in music, but the quality of his voice doesn’t do it for me.

12. tonythetank says:

13. Lena priamo says:

Hunter Chris Lauren Jesse should make top 4. Chris or hunter can have a good career with their particular genres. Country has too much competition right now to make it big

• Troll says:

I like Lauren’s voice better than any of the others and I think Blake and his henchmen are going to promote her far beyond the show. She is as good a Country singer as several other female stars in the business and I expect to see her on tour with Blake and some other prominent artists in the future.

14. scott says:

So these duets….does this mean they split votes on that performance? If so, Tsoul put a nail in Jesse’s coffin. And Chris Blue may have put Vanessa in the finals, although I think she’s worthy on her own merit

15. betsi says:

I agree with your assessment on Jesse and that’s why it’s going to be a shame when he doesn’t make the finals tommorrow

16. Temperance says:

I’d be great if I never heard TSoul or Chris Blue again – boring and pointless. Allyah isn’t any where near the rest, and Jesse isn’t someone I see being a winner or a big seller. The other four are pretty special

• Troll says:

Jesse is fun and good guy but will quickly fade back to his local band gigs after the show – he has no special image or charisma to make waves in the Pop field, check the Billboard top 200 from time to time and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a wave for Jesse to ride. And Voice watchers quickly abandon most of the also-rans after the show. Even some of the winners like Tessanne Chin never even had a moderate semi-hit since the show.

17. First things first: Chris Blue should win this whole thing. He’s never given less than a superlative performance. It’s been clear from his blind audition how special he is, and nothing in the weeks thereafter has changed that fact. I LOVE Chris, Jesse and TSoul. All of them do not only sing, they are conduits of the music. The music flows through their entire bodies. It just doesn’t get better than that. Chris is the best of them, but I couldn’t argue with any of these three winning it all. They are that good. As for the women: They are so evenly matched, but so different, it’s unprecedented for this show. Vanessa, though, gave the best performance tonight, by a lot (wrong grading from you, Charlie). Brennley’s and Aliyah’s youth and inexperience have become an issue in the last two weeks. As good as she is in the ballads, Brennley can not yet sing an uptempo song credibly. She tries too hard and her low notes get lost when the band is backing her. I had thought she had the most beautiful voice of the women, but, in her duet with Lauren, we saw a direct comparison. And Lauren was better. I know they competed against each other in the Battle Rounds, but it was harder to tell then. Now, it is very clear: Blake made the right choice in picking Lauren over Brennley. Like Brennley, Aliyah, for all her talent and, with her strong, beautiful voice, and presence, her charisma and precociousness, really needs another five years to marinate before she will truly stun. American voters, being fickle beasts, may not pick the correct finalists, but they are: Chris, Jesse, TSoul and Vanessa. Still, these semi-finalists are all so wonderful, any one of them, but Hunter, could go through, and it would not be unjust. I don’t wish to pick on Hunter, but he simply is not anywhere in the same league as the other seven vocalists in the semi-finals. His singing is very mediocre. My husband has some very unkind words to say about him. Probably the nicest thing he said was, “Just call him an Uber now.” But something about mediocrity appears to resonate with American voters lately, so who knows? I do know that, if objective, professional judges were determining the results, Hunter would not have made it this far.

18. goodbuytruck says:

Charlie, you and I watched different shows this eve. Your grades are just off this round… significantly.

I thought Vanessa was well off of Chris’ level in their duet. She had some notes in there that were just foul.

TSoul I found very error prone in his performance as well… shaky notes all over. However, his Stevie duet was outstanding – far outperformed Jesse there.

I think Lauren won the evening, bith in single and in duet.

Chris is a very emotive and energetic performer, and should win the season. On that we can agree.

19. gospotlights says:

The duets throw a curve ball into this entire thing. I’m not sure how they count and I’m not sure how they are fair. That said, the easy worst performance in both goes to Aliyah. Not bad, but not ready except for Teen Disney The Voice.
    Hunter needed IMO to do something where he wasn’t playing the emo, falsetto, mumbled words slow EDM remix card and so the U2 song was well timed (except for getting the kill slot of first (how did Aliyah not get that kill slot?).
    But Hunter was back withe emo, falsetto thing for the duet. So I suppose those that support that might be glad to hear that, but Aliyah also took away from the performance…. So no idea how to call that?
    I’m thinking Aliyah should be in the bottom slot and probably helped drag Hunter there as well.

Lauren should easily make the top 4. Chris Blue’s performance was dynamic and emotional although not as solid technically. His duet was also well done. He should be safe. I think between Vanessa’s solo performance and the duet, they should be safe.

Brennley… Not so much. I’ve felt she’s been on the verge of a bad night due to inexperience more than anything and last night was it. She’s been able to hide it well until last night. Her Suds in the Bucket was over the top in both her attempt at performing (beyond her singing, just actions) and she didn’t show the restraint needed in both singing and performance. That should cost her. Unneccesary glory note attempts the song didn’t call for, and when the song didn’t call for them. She was a little better on the duet, but still did the same but overall the duet was fine. But Lauren helped to keep that grounded. So I don’t think the duet hurt either of them.

Jesse and TSoul’s duet was good. That should help both. TSoul’s personality and leave it all on the stage emotional performances, and being on Blake’s team, have helped him. But vocally he’s always been weak and/or had weak moments. Not bad… and some of it has been early nerves. His flourishes can be hit or miss. He makes up for that with emotion and song connection typically. And typically finishes well. But I don’t think he finished well last night.

Aliyah, Hunter, Hunter and T Soul should be in the bottom. Lauren, Chris, Vanessa, and Jesse should be in the top 4 advancing based on last night and overall. But really only Lauren and Chris are sure things IMO with the show format. And any of the bottom 4 I just stated could easily score in the Twitter save with a great performance. If a Jesse or Vanessa ends up in the Twitter save, whichever of the two, I’d expect to have the most likely solid saving performance. If it happened to be both of them… Too tough to predict without hearing it. I guess technically 5 people will be on the outside looking in and hoping to be in a position for the Twitter save. Somebody really good, and deserving of no being in thawill have to be in that Twitter save competition no matter how it shakes out.

• Davey says:

Vanessa is wonderful but she was shaky last night.

• I thought she was terrific. I’m not sure what you and Charlie thought was not great. Maybe you and Charlie didn’t like her roughing up her voice when the band kicked in and she moved away from the melody. Maybe you didn’t like her then infusing the melody with jazz elements, stepping away from the key note, even on the climax. Maybe Vanessa is just too darn sophisticated for a show like The Voice.

20. Person says:

I know who my top 4 are (Vanessa, brennly, Chris and Lauren) but I don’t think America does, I mean, top twelve brennly was in the top ten on iTunes, now she’s in the forties, and last week Aliyah got the first spot, so…
    my predictions are:
    T3: Lauren, Chris, hunter
    M3: Jesse, Aliyah, brennly (brennly winning)
    B2: Vanessa (unfortunately), and tsoul

21. davmon says:

VANESSA deserves some love. On Superstar, the musical accompaniment was weirdly sabotaging with a meandering backbeat & dodgy melody line at start of verses. She did ok, nevertheless, managing a B+ IMO–which was as good as I gave Lauren. (I only gave Chris highter–at A-.….However, her vocals on the duet with Chris was best of entire night. I mean she was stellar….So I consider her back where she was early on–deserving of Top 4.

22. David says:

It’s always pretty obvious who The Voice wants in the top four by the duet pairings. Lauren and Brennley and Chris and Vanessa will be your final four.

• Biobo says:

Aliyah and Hunter both made iTunes top 10… #7 & #10 respectively! And their duet scored well too! Don’t understand it, but will certainly help them both! Jesse was also right there at #15, but no multiplier, sooo…

• Lizzie says:

I don’t expect Brennley to make Top 4 to sing in the finale. Lauren, Chris, Vanessa, likely Aliyah, maybe Hunter’s fan club will bump out Vanessa who is more deserving overall than Hunter.

23. Andrew says:

Predicted groups for season 12 top 8

Public’s vote: Lauren, Chris, (Hunter or Aliyah)

Middle three: (Hunter or Aliyah), Brennley, jesse

Automatically eliminated: Tsoul, Vanessa

24. OrionOnion says:

I’d be annoyed if Aaliyah made it through but Jesse Larson didnt. Larson has been consistently good while Aaliyah has been uneven. Ditto if Brenley beat out Lauren.
    I think they are great, but send the kids home to mature.

25. secutorum says:

Pretty shaky from everyone last night. Probably not enough to change the outcome, because everyone was off.

Watching votes and iTunes, this is a two horse race, just like it really has been for the last month.

Hunter and Lauren (in any order).

Both completely outshadow the competition and have for weeks.

The others have major flaws, including perceived frontrunners. I want to like Chris, but his not so hidden weakness? He’s off key. Like all the time. Vanessa is blah, Brennley and Aliyah are too young and have control/tone issues. Jesse is not very good and trying to groove in on the fat bald guy who doesn’t sing that well but can wail on the guitar vibe. And don’t get me started on Tsoul… no more goat gargling… damn I’d almost rather have boy band back, because Tsoul is killing me slowly, week by week.

So Hunter or Lauren… the only ones truly talented left.

26. Annie says:

I am really in the minority again. I have never understood the Hunter love but last night, I actually liked his performance. I was pleased that he didn’t put the “Hunter spin” on a U2 classic.I thought it was his best performance. He’s still not in my top 4 though. lol

27. Jess says:

So I am totally out of sync with the recapper – except that I love Chris Blue. I thought he was awesome last week. I really hope he makes the finals. I think the finals will be Chris, Lauren, Aliyah (who DOES NOT have clear tones as stated), and Brennely (or whatever her name is – who IS NOT that great a singer) I wish the final four would be – Chris, Lauren, Vanessa and Hunter. And i’ve liked TSoul all along but that song last night completely exposed him with missed notes and poor modulation in tone. Hunter’s first song was great – but the band was way too loud as seems to be one of their continual issues – this of course would be a sound person issue and not the bands fault.

28. JIM says:

Unfortunately, season 12 of the Voice is the worst of all. The talent level is just not there. Lauren is probably the only decent singer of the bunch. Hunter and Vanessa, at times, are OK. Brennely playing a country slut is ridiculous. TSoul is spastic, Chris is entertaining but can’t sing. Jesse is a nice guitar player. Aliyah has a ways to go. The most entertaining person of the season and a darn good singer was Casi Joy, but Blake kicked her to the curb. I guess he forgot her first song – the best of the entire season. None of the current crop will ever be seen again in the entertainment world. But then few winners of singing contests ever are.

• Lizzie says:

Casi Joy was good, but she was on the edge of having any sort of star quality – fun to watch perform, good singer, but I haven’t thought about her since she left. Blake knows singing, and between Lauren and Aliyah, he has two fine singers still left. TSoul seems like a great guy who wants to sing and perform, and just to make it, but I don’t care for the sound of his voice. Chris is usually really fun to hear and watch, but this week his far better performance was in the duet with Vanessa, than with his actual performance for the next step.

• Troll says:

J Chosen could have been the one, if kept, that would have dominated the R&B/ Soul and potentially Christian music genre’s. The others are lucky he didn’t stay-on, as he had the best voice of anyone in those areas. Gwen gave him a really bad song and then dropped him,,

29. Lizzie says:

Chris Blue sang better last week. As far as rawness, he had that, but the vocal wasn’t as good as he can usually do. I may have just been so terrified that he was going to fall off of that glowing box that I couldn’t pay attention, but I didn’t find the performance as great as Alicia did, but she’s Alicia Keys so she should know.

30. Lizzie says:

I would like the finale to be Chris Blue, Lauren Duski, Vanessa Ferguson, and Aliyah Moulden – or Jessie.

31. Wokie says:

Congratulations Chris blue ! I’m sure you’ll be in the final, you are my favorite…

32. Meme says:

Chris Blue should win but Lauren probably will due to the enormous country voting power.