Quantico Recap SEason 2 Episode 3

Quantico Renewed for Season 3 as Showrunner Josh Safran Steps Down

Quantico is re-upping for another mission.

ABC has renewed the spy-centric thriller for Season 3, TVLine has learned.

In addition, executive producer Joshua Safran is stepping down as showrunner but will continue as a consultant on the drama. The move coincides with the end of his contract with the network.

“I will be consulting with the show moving forward, but I will not be with the show on a day-to-day level,” Safran tells TVLine. “I love the show, so I’ll be making sure it stays what it is.”

In Season 2, the Priyanka Chopra-drama has averaged 2.8 million viewers and a 0.7 rating, down 40 percent from its freshman average. A midseason move to Mondays-at-10 failed to give the show much of a boost.

Quantico‘s Season 2 finale airs Monday at 10/9c.

1. Mark says:

That’s good news. I’ve been enjoying the second half of the season.

2. Anne says:

Whyyyyy? It’s such a hot mess

3. Tk says:

Why would they renew this? 2.8 and .7. I just don’t get it.

• Dysturbed says:

It’s at a point where so many shows have fairly low ratings, that factors that go beyond advertising money is what potentially will help save them.

4. This show as a lot of potential. Yeah, yeah, I have a girl crush on Priyanka Chopra (her hair is to die for!) and Jake McLaughlin’s eyelashes give me some serious lash envy. That said, I think it’s a great cast – just needs some focused story telling and a long term angle.

5. TV Gord says:

I just finished watching tonight’s finale (it airs at 7pm where I live in Canada), and I thought it sure felt like a series finale, but then I see this! Oh well, I’ll keep watching beautiful people save the world.

6. Sam says:

Just how bad is the batch of ABC pilots that they renewed this mess?!

• dan says:

Lol! Maybe if NBC had renewed Smash for a third season and fired Safran it would’ve been a success. On second thought, probably not. I doubt a new showrunner can bring Quantico back to what it should’ve been (and never really was).

7. To those who are wondering why they have renewed Quantico despite bad ratings, all thanks to Priyanka’s global appeal as a huge movie star, Quantico is making good money for the network through the Netflix deal and worldwide syndication. May be ratings in American alone isn’t the deciding factor.

• drb999 says:

Exactly. in the movie business a lot of movies that have flopped domestically made a lot of money internationally. Pacific Rim did not do well enough in the US to get a sequel but it made enough money in China and now it’s getting a sequel.

8. Mariclairen says:

The 2nd season was awful. But u renew because the 1st season was excellent n u hope that can be recaptured. It’s crazy how many great shows lose their way between seasons 1 n 2. Sleepy Hollow anyone?

9. fernando933 says:

Abc is trying to be the new CW, it renew way too many low rates shows this year

10. datdudemurphy says:

This show is barely watchable anymore….but Priyanka is probably the most beautiful woman on television right now.
    So, I guess this is a win.

11. Susie says:

If a show is renewed but literally its entire audience has abandoned it, does it still exist?

12. Iris says:

THIS is why nobody’s bothering to watch network TV anymore. Mediocre offerings keep getting created and now renewed. You think that they would realize that the drop in ratings mean something, so why not move on to something better? ABC should free up this spot for a new, better show, rather than keeping this boring mess going.

13. ABC is digging thier own grave and Dungey will get her walking orders next season with renewing three fractional shows.

14. joe says:

I just read on Deadline it only pick up 13 episodes , I’m amazed ABC Renewed it

15. Guy says:

This show has never been that great, sometimes even a total mess, but for some reason I can’t stop watching and I’m glad it was renewed. Maybe I just really like Priyanka Chopra.

16. Lyndy says:

This show is still alive solely because of Priyanka…her international appeal seems to be making ABC a lot of money via Netflix therefore the ratings in the US don’t seem to matter. I won’t be shocked it’s renewed for another shortened season.

17. Adam says:

You’ve GOT to be kidding me.

18. M says:

So much better since they quit all the time jumping.

19. Jess says:

I disagree with all of you people. I love this show and thought it had a great season finale. It is a great show and is totally different for all the other shows on tv. It deserves to be renewed. No one is forcing any of you guys to watch it so get off your high horses.

20. Kevin Tran says:

That’s good news but should Quantico stay on Monday nights or move to a new night.

21. Anonymous says:

Ugh why? This show is horrible.

22. Casanova34 says:

Why oh why – it’s absolutely terrible. They can’t act and the storyline is so unbelievable

23. Cobra says:

In Season 3, she has to infiltrate the NSA

24. Daniel says:

HAHAHHAHAHHAHA

25. ella jasper says:

Who watches this show? I tried the first season and in my opinion, it was a disaster. ABC cancelled some good shows and kept this??

• Shanean Austin says:

I like this show but it hard to follow. The Catch us so much better and they cancelled it.

• kittycat925 says:

I agree, Quantico is a good show but sometimes hard to follow. At times I have to watch an episode again. Even though I didn’t recognize any of the cast, I liked the concept of the series. I will continue to watch when Season 3 comes around.

26. bridyyc says:

This HAS to be the miracle of the 2016/17 season. This show is so bad. I watch the show every week and I actually have no idea what’s going on. I don’t know who’s good and who is bad. I know they’re going after some bad guys…but I have NO idea why.

• Shanean Austin says:

Me too I watch but have no idea what us going on.

• Nom says:

I was able to keep up until they took that month-long break in Feb/March. After coming back from that, I had lost track of what was what and just gave up. Maybe I’ll rewatch when the whole season is on Netflix, but these extra-long breaks they’re taking in these shows nowadays are really taking a big gamble on whether the audience will even care enough to come back or not.

They’d be better off to adopt the British model and run a (perhaps shorter) season in its entirety, then put something different on, rather than trying to stretch 22 or so shows over the course of both Fall and Spring, then interrupting its run with something else during the winter months.

27. Larc says:

Renewing junk like this doesn’t look good for ABC.

28. greysfan says:

Finally some good news for a change. Been a few cancellations too many for me this year

29. pamela guyon says:

So happy! I loved the finale!

30. John says:

I really do not like stupid shows. I wish the networks would accept the blame for some shoes failing to gain an audience. Like preempting a show and not letting us know if it will be shown or not. Or the network placing too many good shows on at the same time. These are my main gripes. To be short I will stop now. Until later

31. KLS says:

If the Nielsen ratings (in their current form) don’t matter any more, maybe sites like this one should stop reporting them.

• TV Gord says:

They may not matter to some viewers, but they matter to advertisers, and that’s all that matters. Without advertisers, network TV cannot support its shows, and Neilsen compiles its numbers for advertisers, not for us!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I think s/he was trying to be “funny,” that ABC renewed such a low-rated show (one that ranks below Notorious and Secrets and Lies, but does match SHIELD). (After all, ratings DO matter: http://tvline.com/2017/05/11/tv-ratings-renewed-cancelled-shows-frequently-asked-questions/ )

• TV Gord says:

Oh, right. That’s what I get for responding to comments from my email notifications (context). Well, as others have pointed out, this show factors in the international markets.

• KLS says:

Thanks Matt! I was beng a little sarcastic, but still, if Quantico was renewed based on metrics other than Nielson’s (C3, C7, Netflix, International views), why should we care about the Nielson’s at all? The public very rarely gets to see these “other metrics”. Nielson’s numbers are just quick overnights. Not an accurate portrayal of a shows health. If Dungey (ABC) doesn’t care about the American audience for Quantico, why should we?

32. Rob says:

The best thing for this show is for Josh “I KILL SHOWS FOR A LIVING” Safran to step down. He’s technically a good ideas man but he’s a disaster when it comes to execution. (See Smash Season 2, Gossip Girl Seasons 5 & 6, Quantico Season 1B-2)

33. Ella says:

Honestly, I think this show has such potential if they gave it more of a Homeland vibe and storyline rather than the hot mess of plotlines they’ve been working with for the last season and half. Stop pushing Ryan/Alex down our throats too, they have zero chemistry, and stop killing off their other love interests. Maybe also stop the ridiculously incestuous relationships between Shelby and the Haas clan.

34. A 13 episode for season is better for this Show,

35. Shergion says:

This needed to be a one season thing. Why are they doing this!? Happy I gave it up at the middle of season 2…

36. gcw07 says:

While I’m glad for it being renewed, I hope the episode count is reduced. This is a type of show that would be better suited for 10-12 episodes instead of 22.

37. Cosmin says:

I love quantico!

38. SamofSherwood says:

This playing ‘musical showrunners’ seems to be all the rage lately eh?
    Sorry Mr Safran, I really liked your show but it is now so inconsistent, the title doesn’t even make sense, there’s not one character I care about since Harry went.
    You’ve really ballsed this one up, I don’t feel SMASH was your fault & the second second season was so much bettter then the first (I miss SMASH) 😢
    But this, this is! it’s a complete mess, is it Homeland, Alias, House Of Cards, do you even know?

39. Katie says:

This show sucks why was it renewed?? I could barely get through one episode of Season 2.

40. ZinniQ says:

Shame, the show is dire. Deleted all my recordings, could not bare any more. Very bad casting for the lead.

41. Olivia says:

YES! That completes my wishlist of uncertain renewals after AoS and Blindspot. *happy dance*

42. Mark says:

This mess gets renewed and others with a decent story get cancelled crazy just crazy – lost my faith in the process now

43. kmw says:

Sort of surprised but not really since apparently it does well overseas. However since it is only 13 episodes I would think this will be their last season. But good news for fans

44. Iakovos says:

QUANTICO had such promise. But convoluted conspiracy shock-over-character twists in Season 1 lost me. Now a reboot for Season 2 that did not click. Will Season 3 take our sexy bunch somewhere else? A solid procedural approach would be welcome.

45. SANDY says:

I am glad “Quantico” has been revived.

46. Sharon says:

Happy to say goodbye to the flashbacks to and fro! Wasn’t a fan of that, but it showed promise later in the season and moving forward. Bring Caleb back…keeps it interesting.

47. Pooja says:

Hope the third season would be better than the second one.