Cancelled Shows Ratings

Cancelled Shows, Fun Facts! The Quickest Deaths, the 'Worst' Renewal, Hottest Discussions and More

As the broadcast TV networks prepared to unveil their shiny new schedules for the 2017-18 season, when all was said and done more than three dozen shows had been invited to take a dirt nap. So let’s exhume their corpses, shall we?

Which freshman show was first to get very bad news? And which one “enjoyed” the very shortest run?

Which cancellation stirred the most discussion among TVLine readers? And which axing failed to stick? What was the strongest show to get shown the door, and which were the weakest performers to get invited back to the big dance?

TVLine took a trip down to the TV morgue and crunched the numbers, to deliver this review (click here for direct access) of the year’s cancellations as well as evaluate the freshman class as a whole — including the new shows that have been sitting on the shelf for… a long while.

1. Wordsmith says:

Looking at that last slide only reinforces my belief that Still Star-Crossed or Midnight, Texas is the infamous blind-item-trainwreck

2. c-mo says:

of all of the shows cancelled, Pitch and Last Man Standing hurt the worst; Pitch cuts the deepest though, of those two because it wasn’t even given a chance by FOX. I now watch exactly 0 shows on FOX.

• Gospino says:

Of course it was given a chance. It aired out its entire season.

• Ben says:

Those were literally the only two that I was disappointed by.

• ? says:

Pitch got all of Fox’s Fall advertising dollars. All of them. It aired alongside complimentary programming (baseball) and aired its entire episode run. What more constitutes a “chance?”

• Michael Summerset says:

It also aired after one of the network’s highest rated show. It had more of a chance than any other show on TV.

• Katherine215 says:

Do you have a link for that statement? Because I’m an avid Cubs fan and watched a lot of Fox during the playoffs and World Series, and I think I saw two commercials. For a show about baseball. During peak baseball watching time. So I question that statement.

3. Cobra says:

What everyone always ignores about Elementary is that it is routinely plagued by sports delays and this kills its ratings.

4. Alex Breakaway says:

I really wasn’t that invested in this TV season, I watched only 2 new shows Designated and This Us, None of the cancelations hurt me unlike last year Nashville, Agent Carter and Galavant. The only one I will miss is American Crime but I’m happy with the 3 seasons we got.

5. Lyndy says:

Pitch hurt the most

6. Kevin Tran says:

NBC should be very proud about the reverse decision they made for having Timeless getting renewed despite having a loyal and passionate fanbase. CBS made a huge mistake on a couple of things: cancelling 2 Broke Girls and renewing Man With a Plan.

7. Television says:

This is a dumb article, shouldn’t have clicked on it.

8. Jim J. says:

Never expected the cancellation of “2 Broke Girls”. Warner Bros. Tv never thought about moving it to TBS if CBS ended up cancelling it. This makes the “Man with a Plan” renewal look like a big mistake. I hope “Man with a Plan” doesn’t get past season 2.

9. TVLineCommentator says:

Chang, Jeff Winger and Abed all had their shows cancelled on the same day. This is the darkest timeline. #AndAMovie

10. stop six hosewife says:

I really liked Notorius. The chemistry between the leads was palpable.

11. Lysh says:

Those facts were pretty fun. Didn’t know CEG was doing so poorly.

• Allison says:

CEG has had pretty low ratings, even by CW standards, from the get go. What’s kept it around are:
      1) it won a golden globe. The CW doesn’t have a history of it’s shows winning major awards, they aren’t going to cancel a show that did, same thing with JTV and the star winning last year (2 years ago?) although the ratings for JTV are slightly better
      2) they need something in the lineup to pair with JTV that isn’t about zombies or vampires, superheros or general super natural. Without those 2 shows they might as well be the SYFY network

12. emor says:

P.S. I called it right here last year. Marlon would be the ‘forgotten’ show. You’re Welcome!

13. Iris says:

This past season was deeply mediocre for new shows. The only ones that I really liked were Timeless, This is Us, and, surprisingly, Lethal Weapon. The rest were were quite blah.

14. dvikib says:

Pure Genius is the only new I will miss.
    I found it intriguing. Would love to have
    seen more of it.