American Horror Story Season 7

American Horror Story: Leslie Grossman Joins Season 7, Stages Popular Reunion

The latest addition to American Horror Story‘s upcoming seventh season has major history with series creator Ryan Murphy.

Murphy on Monday announced — via Instagram, naturally — that Leslie Grossman (What I Like About You) is joining the cast of the FX drama’s election-themed installment, presumably in a comedic role, given that he refers to her as “one of the funniest and most talented ladies” he knows. (Editor’s note: I co-sign that.)

Longtime fans of Murphy’s shows will recall Grossman’s work as lovable dumb-dumb Mary Cherry on the short-lived series Popular, which ran from 1999 to 2001 on The WB.

Grossman joins previously announced cast members Billie Lourd, in a major-yet-unspecific role, and Billy Eichner, playing an equally mysterious character whose affinity for tank tops is literally all we know about him. In terms of returning faves, Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson have both been confirmed.

Murphy also recently shared a “first look” at Season 7 in the form of this terrifying mask, a cross between the symbol of the Republican party… and AHS: Freak Show’s Twisty the Clown:

American Horror Story Season 7 tease.

A post shared by Ryan Murphy (@mrrpmurphy) on

Any theories about Grossman’s character, given her comedic chops? Drop a comment with your best guesses below.

1. Joel Maurice says:

She could play a Kellyanne type

2. Lola says:

I love her. I remember wanting her to guest on Glee as Brittany’s mother. With the Ryan connection, she could’ve been Mary Cherry(Popular fans). It would explain lots about Brittany.

3. Ray says:

Now I have to watch! Too intrigued not to.

4. JIm says:

Have her play Mary Cherry. Her character would have ended up in politics anyway (at the behest of Mama Cherry Cherry).

5. Max says:

Someone beat me to it. But definitely a version of Kellyanne Conway.

6. David Farlow says:

Not really familiar with this actress but anxious to see what she can do in an AHS role. Has anyone noticed the new crop of actors and actresses for this?

7. Jeepers says:

I usually can’t stomach AHS, just not my genre at all. But this casting might be enough to get me to watch. Man was Leslie Grossman a revelation on Popular. Speaking of which, I’m STILL grumpy about it’s early demise. Murphy’s next project needs to be a reunion movie or something!

8. Ron says:

This is so weird. Just two days ago, I literally said to myself–completely randomly and without any rhyme or reason as to why–“Hm. Leslie Grossman. I like her. I wonder what she’s doing these days.” I think part of it was that I, again, completely randomly and without any rhyme or reason as to why, said to myself, “‘What I Like About You.’ I kinda miss that show.” Which then, of course, naturally led my mind to go to her. But she was the only actress/character that I cared to ask myself about. I’m intrigued. I’ll be checking it out.

9. Jay says:

Oh man, Mary Cherry was Ryan Murphy’s best character ever!