Timeless Un-Cancelled! Axed Drama Now Renewed for Season 2 at NBC

Man, Wyatt Logan and his team have changed history yet again: Timeless is coming back for a second season at NBC, despite the network cancelling the time-travel drama just days ago, TVLine has confirmed.

Star Matt Lanter broke the news via a Facebook video he shot in character. (Watch it below, or click here.)

“I just wanted to hop on and tell you that I think the mission was successful,” he says as Wyatt in the video. “We went back, and I’m pretty sure we changed NBC’s minds. So yeah, we’ve got more episodes coming. See you real soon.”

NBC axed its sixth-rated drama four days before that decision was reversed; at the time, series co-creator Eric Kripke tweeted that he and co-creator Shawn Ryan would try to find another home for Timeless, but the “odds are long.”

RELATED Timeless EPs Talk Rittenhouse Twist, [Spoiler]’s Condition, Season 2 Plans

A Peacock net insider tells TVLine, “We heard the fans and didn’t want to be on the wrong side of history.”

Ryan tweeted on Saturday that the show may return as early as Spring 2018.

Co-creator Eric Kripke exuberantly thanked fans, as well as those involved in the renewal decision. He also confirmed that Season 2 will consist of 10 episodes.

1. Candace says:

I have yet to watch the show but this is fantastic news for the fans.

• tvdiva says:

It’s actually a very good show. Good writing, good characters.

• Kevin Tran says:

Hope Season 2 should get re-invented.

• Ally Oop says:

I will disagree about the good writing part. Unless it got better after the first couple of episodes.

• Tipper says:

It did. Like any new show, it wobbled a bit, but got there after episode 5 or 6. When they crew goes back to the 1700s, that’s the episode that brings it all together, and they’re off and running after that!

• Chris says:

It really is, I held off watching it until 4 or 5 episodes in and it is fantastic. Thank you commenters on her for convincing me to watch in the first place.

• Fabrizia says:

I am very glad for Matt Lanter that he doesn’t have to go back to the CW and play a teen in his mid 30s.

• It is a very good show. I don’t have children but my friends that do like that it is a show the entire family can watch. I just love the plot lines and the history aspect of the show.

• Ann says:

I also feel it’s a good family show and love the history aspect. I know they take liberties with out, but they have introduced us to interesting historic figures. I’ve Googled the real life stories of the Black Lone Ranger and that hotel serial killer. I can’t believe those were actual people!

• Eli says:

History especially American history is one of my favorite subjects. This is a great show. Some of my students watch itand they became more interested in some of the events they have gone to.

• Temperance says:

I’m actually really happy about this. The first few episodes are long on the visuals, but not so great on the plot or depth (think old 8PM all-ages), but the show really did a great job at getting significantly better as the season progressed and created a bit of mythology and substantiveness. It’s a very likable show, that grew to earn being liked.

• Lyndy says:

OH HOLY JESUS……. I love you NBC, whole-heartedly. I’m on cloud nine right now…I don’t even know what to say. YIPEEEEEEEE

• JJ. says:

my thoughts exactly, I haven’t watched this show but the reversal must feel so great for fans

2. Gregory Begonius says:

as…early?

3. Whew! Very relieved.

4. Nichole says:

Yey!!! :D

5. tom says:

happy for the fans

6. GuessWhat says:

woot!

7. Britt/Brat says:

Yay!!! I hope they can improve the show and more people start watching.

8. peegee says:

hurray !!!!!

9. Paul G. says:

Finally, some good news in this week of :Cancellation Hell’!

10. Love it when a good show gets uncancelled and a deserved second chance. Woohoo!

11. Phun says:

Congratulations for the fans! Has this ever happened before when a network changes their mind about a show. And I wonder what prompted the change of heart at NBC. I’m hearing it was $$$$, which is the bottom line for any show. :)

• acgonzales says:

I know The Killing and Unforgettable were each canceled, brought back, canceled again then revived by another network. And I’m pretty sure The Mindy Project was canceled (at Fox, I think) and picked up by Hulu. There are probably other examples but it doesn’t happen too often.

• phillyhtown says:

Did not know that over what time frame last ten years or all of time? Thanks Matt

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Of all time, and it is by no means a comprehensive list (I forgot a Stargate or something, etc).

• J.B. says:

Yup, Showtime canceled the original Stargate SG1 and then SyFy picked it up.

• Margo says:

Yes. Definitely not comprehensive since you left off Star Trek.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yep, not comprehensive. But more thorough than any in all the realms 👍

• Bill says:

Sliders is missing too. Cancelled from whatever channe and then resurrected by SciFi I believe

• Another Poster says:

In 1986 NBC cancelled and uncancelled Remington Steele.
            Outstanding list with most of the cancelled and uncancelled TV shows on it.

• kajar says:

Yep, Stargate lived a long life on Scifi (not SyFy at the time) after Showtime let it go. And FARSCAPE came back after cancellation for a miniseries wrap up. That one always seems to be excluded on these types of lists, but the fan campaign to bring it back was epic.

• Phun says:

Thanks Matt.

• SamofSherwood says:

Thanks Matt, I wanted to know that too! 🙂

• Steve F. says:

I thought Sledge Hammer would be there as well. Oh well, still a great list!

• Butch says:

Yes but this must be one of the fastest turnarounds where the show stayed on the same network that cancelled it. Just glad it is continuing.

• MMD says:

Wow, I had no idea and that was before social media.

• Tomm Huntre says:

Reported around is that the studio had to give up a huge amount of profit from the show to NBC In order to get this deal done. And it’s only ten episodes.

So now comes this question – Is it fair to tie up cAst and crew for a renewal of only 10 episodes when they may have found work for a full season elsewhere??

• Katie T says:

Given the cast and crew are ecstatic about the news I’d say it’s more than fair. And given the fact that new shows often start with a low number of episodes, and the increasing number of shows that don’t do a full 23 episode series anyway, they’d have to walk into a job on an already established show to guarantee they’d get work for longer. And there’s actually nothing stopping nbc upping the episode count for Timeless at some point anyway to say 13 or 16 episodes, just like networks up episode counts all the time

• Temperance says:

And even if that is it, they really can create a satisfying ending, which is what most science fiction fans really demand.

• Fabrizia says:

They would not have found work elsewhere, it’s too late. At most they would have found a guest role for one episode ona CBS procedural.

• Aeol says:

Television is no longer reduced to the traditional pilot season (although it’s still a major player). A lot of actors are regulars on both network and cable/streaming shows because of the broad shooting season.

• Ann says:

I think shorter seasons are better for actors. It allows them to pursue a movie or short stints on other shows. It gives them the change to diversify what they’re doing instead of being devoted to one character all year long.

• Jason says:

It’s not the only time, but may be one of the quickest.

• Aeol says:

10 episodes could potentially reduce costs while still maintaining quality. It’s an expensive show to produce, what with the ever-changing set and wardrobe issues, but that’s part of what makes this show good – production value gives credence to the concept.

• Lyle Coleman says:

10 episodes should increase quality as we don’t have to spend any time on filler episodes. I stopped watching Agents of SHIELD, Flash, and a ton of other shows because of all the extra episodes that just drag out the story. I can only hear Barry pine for Iris so many times before I stop caring.

FX, A&E, HBO, Netflix and others have it right when they cut the episodes down to condense it to just the core story.

Sure, some of those condensed shows can be long in the tooth by a few episodes (I’m looking at you Netflix Marvel shows), but at least they aren’t 10-15 episodes longer than they need to be.

• hydrasaur says:

Family guy was cancelled and renewed like two or three times.

• Cobra says:

They did this intentionally so they could draw stories from how the characters went back in time and changed the minds of TPTB.

12. Sher says:

My husband will be delighted to hear this!! It was one of his favorite shows…he really enjoys the research put into the scripts. #WTGNBC

13. Asia says:

Yes, I’m so happy about this.

14. Lauren says:

I think this is a show that will benefit a lot from binge watching between now and next season. Hopefully resulting in a better audience. This is really cool news.

15. Tom Kennefy says:

Awesome! So many shows available and glad to see one of my favorites is coming back!👍

16. Dominique says:

i currently don’t even have the right words for this, except that i am SO happy nbc reversed their decision! this is the best news i’ve read all week when it comes to tv shows. thank you!!!

17. Brenda Geist says:

Wow this is fabulous news!!! My absolutely new favorite must see TV is coming back!! Could not be happier!! Thank You NBC for saving my show!

18. kmw says:

Wow good for fans I did not expect this

19. Traveler says:

Vive le resistance, in every sense. Because it works.

20. Anne says:

OMG YAAASSSSSSSSSSS

21. Wrier says:

I wonder if they canceled the show and then uncanceled the show just so they could use the going back in time to change their mind joke.

Clever, Timeless. Very clever.

• Candace says:

That was my first thought as well.

• ninergrl6 says:

I thought the same thing.

• Master_K says:

I thought about that too but as far major outlets reporting the cancelling that would be a really horrible joke to play on fans and their own cast and crew who also believed it was cancelled. Plus I feel like cancelling and uncancelling a series for kicks would be bad for a business standpoint.

22. Cathy says:

Awesome news. Was so disappointed when it was originally cancelled. Can’t wait to see the new season.

23. Wrstlgirl says:

More likely somebody threw some money at it.

24. alang414 says:

Great decision! I can’t wait for season #2. Now i don’t have to boycott NBC for stupidity. If only ABC didnt cancel Last Man Standing, Dr. Ken and FOX didnt cancel, Rosewood, Pitch and APB.

• Chris says:

Every show you mentioned deserve to be cancelled either becuas or ratings or the rising production costs of a aging sitcom. Your boycott will surely hurt those networks haha

25. Dane says:

Glad somebody at NBC has brains. Cancellation made lots of fans unhappy. One of few quality programs the network has. I might even be willing to trust that I can invest in a show and the plug won’t be pulled before it has a chance.

26. flowerduh says:

GRRREAT!

27. Shows just how much a powerful fandom can do. Happy to hear about this, maybe this’ll finally inspire me to catch up!

28. Alichat says:

OMG!?! Has this ever happened? Where a network reversed their decision a few days later…….has that ever happened???

• Alichat says:

Oh wait…..The Killing……that was cancelled and then the decision was reversed. Any other shows??

• Aidan says:

Actually, yes. CBS did this a few years back with their show Unforgettable. It was canceled only to be uncanceled by the network to air as a summer series instead. I don’t believe it’s happened at NBC tho, the only thing similar was back in 2009 when NBC picked Southland up for 2nd season only to cancel it before it aired. Thank god TNT was there to help with that one!

• Another Poster says:

1986, NBC cancelled and uncancelled Reminton Steele.
        Star Trek was cancelled after the second season by NBC, then uncancelled for a third and final season at the network.

29. Sue says:

Yeeessss! I’m doing my happy dance! I really liked the show and am so glad it’s coming back!!!!

30. phillyhtown says:

Yesssss finally a network comes to their senses!!!

31. Jill Price says:

Yay! No get rid of the Rittenhouse story line and concentrate on the history part! This show has been great for me and my kids, making is curious and interested in past historical events!

32. Great. I love this show.

33. Kevin Tran says:

What a sigh of relief. NBC should be very proud of themselves for bringing Timeless back from the living. Better get the fanbase going.

34. Sabrina says:

This is great news. I wonder why they decided to change their mind.

35. Plesiw says:

Best news today!!!! Great show,looking forward to another season

36. pmstahler says:

Yippee! Thank you for reconsidering and bringing “Timeless” back! This is a great series, so refreshingly different from the others. And, you get a history lesson each week to boot!

37. JY says:

YESSSSSSS!

38. Dannie C says:

Awesome news

39. Ray says:

What?!? How come this never happens for any of the shows that I love?

40. Lucy says:

amazing news!!! now the big question: when’s season 2 premiere???? :-)

41. Dennis says:

Wow omg!

42. Katherine215 says:

Awesome! Now to get Pitch back and all will be right with my TV world…

43. wgsecretary says:

Yes! I’m so glad!!! I love Timeless! It started out a little uneven, but as the season went on, it got much better. I’m excited for where the story is going to go after the season finale.

44. CEJ says:

YAAAAAAAY! Thank you NBC! Made my weekend!

45. Wow – a miracle ! Great news ! How rare is this – a dumb mistake getting corrected.But I see they are going to use it more as a filler for next year. But I’ll take it and be happy.

46. RachelC says:

GREAT News!!!!!

47. Tomm Huntre says:

I’m calling it now – a PR stunt by NBC. Done precisely to get the kind of story leading paragraph this story lead with.