Great News Renewed

Great News Renewed for Season 2

This is a really good announcement for fans of a certain new sitcom.

NBC has renewed Great News for Season 2, three weeks into its freshman run of Tuesday twofers.

Season to date, the workplace comedy — starring Briga Heelan, Andrea Martin, John Michael Higgins and Nicole Richie — is averaging 3.6 million weekly viewers and a 0.9 demo rating — right on par with time slot predecessor Trial & Error (which has not yet been visited by the renewal gods).

Airing two episodes every Tuesday during the 9 o’clock hour, Great News is on track to wrap its first season on May 23.

1. Ray says:

Surprising. If only one could be renewed, however, I would’ve preferred Trial & Error.

2. Wrstlgirl says:

I’ve never even heard of this one, lol.

3. Lyndy says:

I’m happy about this but what does it mean for Trial and Error

4. webly3 says:

I’m so excited about this! The first season shows so much potential. I’m very shocked but extremely pleased!

5. Stacy says:

But what about Trial and Error?! Argh.

6. Kenny says:

Very surprising…Hope this doesn’t mean Trial and Error is done…but it probably does.

7. Haz says:

They both have potential I didn’t care for the first couple episodes of Great News but it improved. Great News I could see going 22 episodes a season unlike Trial and Error it’s seasons should be 10 -13 max. They could renew Trial and Error and air it in the spring after The Good Place goes on hiatus.

8. Kristina says:

This is a great show but I’m worried about Trial and Error now… :(

9. Adam says:

Great news! Look like NBC wants a complete comedy night in the fall?

10. Rebecca says:

Excellent news. I’m loving this show. Really funny.

11. Michael says:

I think Trial and Error was a lot funnier . I could see them picking up both (hopefully)

12. Ken says:

Trial & Error was way funnier. I hope it gets renewed.

13. KCatty says:

This show is utterly cringeworthy and completely unrelatable. In all seriousness, if a parent of mine did half of what the mother of this show did in the first episode, they would be out of my life forever. Period. I don’t understand why people would find it funny when a woman infantalizes her adult daughter. And Nicole Ritchie’s comedic talents are wasted on a role in which she’s reduced to playing a horrific stereotype of an idiot female in the workplace.

Depressing that this is what NBC considers quality.

14. Kam says:

I need Trial & Error to come back TOO. A comedy hour with these two shows would be great viewing (probably not great numbers, but STILL)

15. Tom says:

I mean it’s a second rate 30 Rock knock off, but it’s been a good show, glad it got renewed. I’d also like Trial & Error back. Are Jayma Mays and Adam Campbell still together? Because that could make for some nice synergy

16. kitsunesaru says:

I didn’t even know it had started! I want to watch though, so this is good to hear.

17. Red Snapper says:

Great news is okay. It can be be a little annoying with all the overbearing mother stuff. I definitely preferred Trial & Error but assumed if they were going to pick one it would be Great News due to it being produced by Tina Fey. Maybe they’ll keep Trial & Error for midseason again?

18. Lisa Echerd says:

Eh. I watched the first two episodes and it was just over the top on their theme. We haven’t watched another episode. I certainly hope that Trial and Error gets picked up.

19. Big Cheddar says:

I was pulling for this show and for Trial & Error. It might be a 2nd rate 30 Rock, but it’s got potential and I like it more than Superstore.

20. Iakovos says:

THERE IS A GOD! With a little tweaking and pairing with something good (WILL& GRACE reboot?) along the THE GOOD PLACE… NBC could reignite quality comedy that is sustained not on high concept but on characters and situations we relate to.