Dynasty Reboot Snags Formal Series Order at The CW

The CW will be purring like a catfight next season: The network has ordered its in-the-works Dynasty reboot to series, TVLine has learned.

From Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage and Revenge producer Sallie Patrick, Dynasty 2.0 is described as a racially diverse, modernized modernized reboot of the classic ’80s soap “that follows two of America’s wealthiest families, the Carringtons and the Colbys, as they feud for control over their fortune and their children,” as told “primarily through the perspectives of two women at odds: Blake’s (Grant Show) daughter Fallon Carrington (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll‘s Elizabeth Gillies) and her soon-to-be stepmother, Cristal (Vampire Diaries‘ Nathalie Kelley), a Hispanic woman marrying into this WASP family and America’s most powerful class.”

The series promises to expose the “dark underbelly” of the 1 percent, “a corrupt world built on backroom deals, betrayal, and, in some cases, murder.”

The cast also includes James Mackay (The Leftovers), Alan Dale (The O.C.), Sam Adegoke (Murder in the First), Robert Christopher Riley (Hit the Floor), and Rafael de la Fuente (Empire). Original Dynasty creators Esther and Richard Shapiro will serve as EPs.

1. LK says:

Um…. Grant Show is Blake? Crystal is now hispanic? interesting. not sure about this though

2. I’m happy,this is the pilot I wanted ordered to serires

3. Goldenvibefan says:

Oh CW pilots are coming in. C’mon Black Lightning and Searchers. Black Lightning is a given pretty much, but Searchers idk. Really hoping they both make the cut.

4. Lyndy says:

At least it’s not a quirky dramedy…I don’t have high hopes but will check it out. Plus the cast is meh at best

5. Summer says:

I really want this to be good.

6. maregolden says:

Producers to casting: “We need a rich, snobby, male patriarch type. Call Alan Dale and see if he’s available.”

7. joe says:

It will last about as long as the reboot of Melrose Place a few years back

8. Dijeirusan says:

I want this to be unapologetically camp and vicious.

• Temperance says:

You know it won’t be. It will be plodding and tedious. I mean, it could be great, but I find it unlikely. At least we got a good one in Riverdale.

9. jeb1 says:

Wish, wish, wish they had picked up Dallas.

• David says:

Dallas was actually done rather well but even though it was not at all dependent on Larry Hagman, his death took the potential for the continuation of the reboot with him

10. Chris says:

I think I’ll give this a try when it airs.

11. TV Gord says:

I wonder how many episodes there will be, and will it be a companion to Riverdale, or share its time slot

12. Jennifer says:

Dear God, why?

• Sheila says:

At the time, it was a novel show, but how is this different from any current reality show about spoiled, rich people? What is interesting about watching people getting rewarded for behaving badly?

• Jennifer says:

I’m with you. I remember watching Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, and Knots Landing … they were the original 90210 and Melrose. But why reboot / revive / redo? It’s getting old.

13. Adam says:

Wait…which character is secretly a superhero?

14. flowerduh says:

This tells me something that I have always known. The networks and writers have run out of material. These reboots never work out well. Because they were of that time. Think about the shows in the 70’s, 80’s and 90…they can’t fit into the era that we have now! Let this die. Besides, if it’s on the CW it won’t last that long and it won’t be that good anyway.

15. cheryl says:

I won’t be watching it…but wish Under the Dome would return.

16. Michael Summerset says:

The premise sounds vaguely familiar, like something from another failed pilot. Or maybe one of the US made telenovas.

And you can be sure the characters will be half the age of those in the original series.

17. Jared says:

I’m really curious to see where The CW plans to schedule Dynasty. It seems like it could be a fun soap ala Gossip Girl.

18. E. D. Boddy says:

“expose the dark underbelly of the 1 percent”??? They know they’re making fiction, not a documentary, right?

19. I Totally pass! I would rather re-watch old reruns of the original, than to watch a silly remake! And I wasn’t even that into the original! I don’t care much for shows where everyone is stabbing each other in the back! It’s usually hard to find someone to root for!

Plus where is Alexis? Joan Collins part! In the original it was the ex-wife of Blake and his new wife that were at each other’s throats, not the new wife and his daughter! Plus Cristal wasn’t as young as they seem to have the new one!

What they couldn’t find a third actress to play Alexis? I mean if this is all you have as a cast, then all you have is two female characters and 6 male ones!

But I guess seeing as the original was a pretty sexist show itself, I guess we can’t expect the new one to be any different!

20. TS says:

No thanks. I am a big fan of the original Dynasty series. I don’t think this remake can live up to it.