Taken Renewed for Expanded Season 2

Never underestimate Bryan Mills: Despite mediocre ratings, NBC’s rookie drama Taken has been renewed for a relatively super-sized Season 2, TVLine has learned. The series — billed as a prequel to the Liam Neeson-fronted film franchise — will produce 16 new episodes, nearly double Season 1’s order of 10. But it will do so with a new leader. Deadline reports that showrunner Alex Cary is moving on and the search for a new boss is underway.

Taken premiered in February to 7.5 million total viewers and a 1.6 demo rating, landing just below time slot predecessor Timeless’ own apres-Voice launch. Its freshman run run went on to average 5.3 mil and a 1.1, matching fellow NBC newbies Timeless and Chicago Justice in the demo, while besting The Blacklist, Blindspot, Shades of Blue and Blacklist: Redemption.

Taken stars Vikings‘ Clive Standen as a younger version of Neeson’s ex-Green Beret. The cast also includes Friday Night Lights‘ Gaius Charles and The L Word‘s Jennifer Beals.

1. Gary says:

I liked taken but I get the feeling that’s bad news for timeless which I liked much more

2. Billy meacham says:

This is a surprise. I still have the last 3 episodes on my DVR.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I tried really hard but just couldn’t get into it. Didn’t really like any of the characters. Maybe I’ll try again with the new show runner.

• MMD says:

I was so sure it was going to be cancelled that I deleted all the episodes from my dvr just a week or so ago.

3. I am happy at this news. I enjoy the show.

4. Shelley Grey says:

Very happy with this new. Was very impressed with season 1.

5. I’m happy to hear Taken is renewed. I like it a lot. I also liked Timeless but pretty sure its not going to be renewed.

6. Patrick says:

Bad news for Timeless. Taken and Timeless were thought to be in competition for a slot next season. If Taken is back, Timeless might be gone.

• justsomeguy says:

Doesn’t mean it won’t be back. I could see Timeless popping up on Sunday.

• Billy meacham says:

If they renew timeless and blindspot and Chicago Fire, they could have timeless at 7:00 pm, blindspot at 8:00 pm and Chicago fire at 9:00 for Tuesday nights??

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

THE VOICE got cancelled…?

• tvloverSA says:

Or even better the networks highest show this is us! I think NBC Tuesday is great. …Sunday is good enough for now the problems are Friday and Thursday. …. and blindspot that early.

7. justsomeguy says:

Yes! This show was awesome to watch.

8. Nicole Walker says:

I love this show’s take on Bryan and how he’s slowly but surely evolving into the man we see in the films. Clive did a great job making him credible and emotionally complex. And I adore this team they’ve got going with Jennifer Beals as no one you want as an enemy and Gaius Charles a boss of a field ops leader. Can’t wait for a season 2.

9. Pat says:

If Taken gets renewed with an expanded season 2 and Timeless gets cancelled, that is completely ridiculous. Timeless narrowly beat Taken in same day ratings and handily beat Taken in Live+7 numbers. It is also got much more positive reviews from critics and has won numerous fan polls done by outlets, including this one, about which bubble show should be renewed.

I think this decision is going to be a disaster for NBC.

• John036 says:

neither shows’ ratings are spectacular. i also get the impression that timeless is more expensive to produce than taken. for expenses alone, i see timeless getting cancelled.

• drb999 says:

Taken is an international co-production so it’s super cheap for NBC. That’s how Hannibal survived for three season on NBC.

• KLS says:

You have to think about genre as well.

10. Yolanda says:

Great but when Showtime is going to announce revival of The L Word? Will NBC let Ms. Beals do it? I hope so.

11. mungiart says:

Taken should be renewed. It is one of the best action-drama shows compared to most that are renewed and should not be. Good for them! Can’t wait for Chapter 2.

12. westwingwolf says:

I think this could be a mistake because Taken never aired without a Voice lead in, and even with it, the numbers weren’t that great. Doubtful they will give a Voice lead in again next season since they reserve those for new series. I think it might see a huge ratings drop.

• Asia says:

Yep. The show was already getting 0.8s with the Voice. What’s it going do without it? The show had no buzz its entire run and barely benefited from DVR ratings.

• KLS says:

Maybe NBC will give it the “Blindspot” treatment and let it wither and die Wed @8pm.

13. Louis E. says:

If the showrunner is “moving on” does that mean his wife (Jennifer Marsala,who plays Riley) will also be leaving the cast?

I thought Timeless had a better chance.(I watched both but was prepared to see either or both cancelled).

14. Song4Ten says:

I loved Timeless and I actually miss it. I hope it gets renewed.. If not, it was great fun.

15. Chuck says:

I hope this isn’t bad news for Timeless.

16. Kevin Tran says:

This might have been a very bad move for NBC renewing Taken but I’m still worried about whether or not Timeless is “history”.

17. T.W.S.S. says:

I don’t watch this, but I would really like Rollo to finally bite the ax over on Vikings. Hopefully, he’ll be too busy shooting this to return for season five.

18. Jared says:

There’s only so many low rated series NBC can justify a second season pick up for. Unfortunately Timeless seems like a goner even though it had so much potential.

• Anne says:

But there’s also only so much shows they can cancel before it starts to impact viewers morale. With each season I’m less likely to check out new shows because most of them will get cancelled.

19. Big Cheddar says:

I really enjoyed both shows and I hope they find a way to bring back Timeless as well.

20. Billy meacham says:

I wonder if Liam Nelson could guest star in one episode next season possibly?

21. Rachel says:

I will be so upset if Timeless isn’t renewed. It was amazing and i enjoyed every episode when i couldn’t get through one of Taken.

22. ugghhhh going to be really mad if they cancel timeless for this crap

23. AngelWasHere says:

I really hope they bring back Timeless. Maybe put it on earlier.

24. Rylie says:

Hell yes! Taken is so much fun too watch! I haven’t actually seen the movie… maybe i should do that..

25. A. D. says:

I liked the movies but this was soooo boring.

26. "A" says:

Damn, that is the worst case of click bait ( tempting “Timeless” fans to get views for “Taken” ) I’ve ever seen … not to mention it’s very disrespectful towards our journey and struggle to get our show a second season, seeing as no one has campaigned or fought hard this season. Can you please change the article title to Taken Ordered to Series Tvline? Thanks.

• "A" says:

Oops meant renewed for a second season not to Series … and… I’m referring to the main page top four stories at the top of the site. Thanks again.

• Chloe says:

Agreed. I only clicked to find out about Timeless. Couldn’t care less about Taken.

27. Sarah D says:

Hip hip! Didn’t expect this but I am so happy about it.

28. 16 is not nearly double of 10.

29. Television says:

Timeless is a great show, I look forward to it every week!

30. Carla Krae says:

Yes! Only got better as the season went on.

31. just me says:

Taken just didn’t cut it in our house and didn’t get watched after a couple episodes. We both liked Timeless. Still hoping.

32. Anne says:

They better f***n renew Timeless

33. Claire says:

Would have rather seen timeless renewed. Find it much more relevant to our country right now than Taken.

34. Nero tTVfiddler says:

Wow, I didn’t see this coming. Maybe NBC will use the series during winter 2018 season while other NBC fall shows are on hiatus until spring? This show just doesn’t strike me as being unique enough to warrant a big fall promo-push and slot on the fall schedule. More of a utility player that sort of comes-n-goes during the winter.

35. Dean says:

I’ve been checking back for a few days for news on this and I’m glad it has been renewed. Since the studio owns it (source; the cancel bear), I hoped there was a chance it’d be renewed over Timeless. Neither show is bad, mind you. I think Clive Standen is brilliant in the role of Bryan Mills.

36. Jake says:

Timeless was crap, hope it is cancelled. Always with the stupid “you can’t kill the bad guy” nonsense, when it not only was the sensible thing to do, but also would have ended the show. Too many ridiculous near-misses, etc. That’s the problem with shows like this that hang on one simple premise (stop the bad guy), but can never deliver because it would have no further plot.

37. Patti says:

Am hoping this will mean good news for Timeless. If Taken had lower ratings than Timeless and got renewed then maybe there is still hope for Timeless? Timeless is an original and captivating show! I didn’t enjoy the “Rittenhouse” aspect of the show(it got kind of muddled sometimes) but the history and some of little known historical facts they included made it one of the most enjoyable shows on tv.

38. Ryan says:

timeless deserves to be renewed over this show

39. Lucy says:

#renewtimeless ! Change it to Sunday night slot if you have to NBC, but RENEW IT!!!

40. Georgia says:

SO PLEASED TAKEN HAS BEEN RENEWED!! YAY!

41. Michael C says:

I am somewhat surprised this survived. I’ve been meh on it and can’t stand Jennifer Beals in this…I think her stiff acting in this show and unlikable character are doing nothing to save this. I think the marketing behind Taken also makes you think it will be more like the movie with each episode on a kidnapping or something, versus a government team, etc. Just seems a disconnect. On a side note: Sad to see Rosewood cancelled. Good, cheesy, light fun. I’ll miss it. Chicago Justice SHOULD be cancelled. Dull characters with some of the worst acting in prime time right now. Makes me miss Law & Order all the more!