Pretty Little Liars Recap

Pretty Little Liars Recap: Mrs. D's Killer Revealed, Plus 5 Other Insane Twists

One of the longest-running mysteries in Pretty Little Liars history — even longer than the identity of A.D., if you can believe it — was finally put to rest on Tuesday’s episode with the reveal of Mrs. DiLaurentis’ killer.

Unlike the show, however, I won’t beat around the bush: It was Mary Drake — at least according to Spencer’s father, who blew into town this week like a handsome tornado of secrets. “She used my pills to do it,” he claimed. “She buried her in the backyard, and she framed me for it.”

Spencer seemed horrified that a woman could do something so vile to her own sister — but, honestly, would any of us have been surprised if Spencer snapped back in the day and put Melissa six feet under? … I didn’t think so.

Of course, Mrs. DiLaurentis’ killer was only one major reveal this week. Let’s break down the rest, shall we?

* Alison is pregnant with Emily’s baby. Even though anyone with a pulse already predicted that Emily’s egg was used to impregnate Alison, watching the girls process their discovery was surprisingly heartbreaking. And the nature of the reveal wasn’t any better; forcing Alison to assemble a registry for the child she intended to abort was easily A.D.’s cruelest test yet.

* Ted is (was?) Charlotte’s father. Hanna’s town-wide search for Mary Drake led her to the doorstep of good ol’ Pastor Ted, who later revealed that he and Spencer’s birth mother dated in college — and that he was Charlotte’s father! What’s more, he told her that “Charles” had a childhood best friend named Lucas. As in Lucas Gottesman. As in the guy whose couch Ted was literally sitting on when he relayed all of this information to an understandably slack-jawed Hanna. (Then again, maybe she should have saved some of that jaw-slacking for when she learned she has to play a second round of the #PLLEndGame.)

* Sydney shot Spencer and made the game. She may not be A.D., but with everything Sydney has done to the Liars, she might as well be. During a shady limo ride with Aria — more on that later — Sydney admitted to shooting Spencer during the incident at the blind school. Additionally, the girls apparently have Sydney to thank for the #PLLEndGame.

* Aria might be going dark. With her and Ezra’s relationship more fragile than ever, Aria is starting to realize that A.D. can’t be beaten — but is she desperate enough to betray her friends and join the dark side? That’s the offer Sydney presented her with during the aforementioned limo ride: “There is no out,” she said. “You can change sides, become part of the winning team.” And the fact that Aria still hadn’t made up her mind by the end of the episode has me worried. You know, along with the promo for the next episode, which straight-up confirms that Aria will go dark.

* Emily and Paige are back together. Maybe. Hi, I have a lot of questions about the status of Emily and Paige’s relationship. Paige started this week’s episode by announcing that she was transferring to the University of Iowa — which makes sense, as even she admitted that “coming back [to Rosewood] was a mistake” — only to change her mind at the end of the hour… because Emily… beat her in a bike race? That whole interaction, including the subsequent makeout, was a little confusing to me. (Then again, I’ve never been able to predict what these two are going to do.)

Which Pretty crazy twist surprised you the most this week? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Piper says:

Yay! I was so happy Paige is back with Emily. Boo ya all you Paily haters! As for the baby reveal I think we all saw it coming. Don’t buy that Mary killed Jessica for a supposed big reveal it was lack luster. No flash back to show it. I think Peter either lied or just thinks Mary did it. As for Aria no way is she really going dark and betraying her friends. She is just going to pretend to be bad to find out answers and who AD is.

• dan says:

The reveal of Jessica’s killer was so lackluster that I missed it completely until I read this recap! Guess I need to rewatch that scene. The rest of the episode, however, was the best of the backend of the season so far.

• ameraleigh says:

Of course the reveal about Jessica’s killer was lacklustre. I have no idea why I keep watching this show, every time they reveal something it turns out to be ridiculous, Sarah Harvey as Red Coat and Black Swan after it was promised that those people/that person had been seen on the show before, making out like Charlotte was the main A and then creating another because the writers on this show clearly have no idea what they’re doing and are making up crap as they go along. That picture of Charles and childhood friend Lucas, there should be about a 6-7 year age gap between them and yet it only looks like a couple of years. I’m fairly certain that AD is going to be someone that no one cares about or a character that we saw in one episode five years ago or as the writers like to do, a character that no one has ever seen.

• Kelly says:

Sara Harvey just played red coat when Charlotte needed her to. & Melissa was Black swan bc she got an anonymous letter that would tell everyone she lost her baby earlier than she admitted… & there is only like a 3 yr difference between Melissa, Charlotte, Jason, Garrett, all those older characters & the liars

• Jo Garret says:

I’m happy Emily and Paige got together. They seem so real together, I don’t understand Emily and Alison, I always felt like it was all simply just an Alison manipulation. My hope is that in the end Alison will have Emilys baby, and Em and Paige will commit to one another, and the three can co-parent their baby together.
      I’m sick of all the parent swapping at this point now. So now Charlotte is Pastor Teds child. Ok, sure, why not? And Lucas……I’ve always felt like he was A, and what better way to control the liars than have two of them living in his house…and also he’s a tech millionaire conveniently.

2. Lk says:

I thought it was pretty clear that Sydney was just a mouthpiece for the real AD. I doubt she is behind the game or anything more than a pawn. I mean what’s her connection Jena? That’s pretty weak to go through all this.

• Kelly says:

Me too. She also said she was AD before getting caught with the earpiece. I thought her confession of being AD, shooting Spencer, and making the game was all a lie. It’s hard to tell what to believe!

3. Emily says:

I didn’t think Sydney actually made the game or shot Spencer. I thought she was just saying that.

4. fernando933 says:

Aria going dark or to betray AD is a smart move, always thought Spencer would be the one to do that to get some answers.

Emily being the mom of the baby was a no brainer but still as shocking.

Ted being charlotte day came out of left field.

Have to say this was the best episode so far since the show came back so far all the episode have felt filler episodes which shouldn’t be for the last 10 episodes

5. Who aldilà Andrea where Isabella. She was one who was asked jonie” ghetto”Giosuè disegni Andrea leave yAtoo go TO ghetto othere dice tale care.

6. Daniel says:

Loved this ep. Cant wait for Troian’s directorial debut

7. stevie says:

Peter Hastings…attorney at law…unselfish luva….. : )

8. Beckers05 says:

I’m so ready for this show to end and give us some real answers! Grrrr!!!

9. Lina says:

I find it kinda interesting that lucas was friends with Charles aka Charlotte. And that Allison called him hermie back in the day. Where the heck is Mona? What’s in arias file that has her so desperate? Juicy juicy

10. Aileen says:

Sidney isn’t AD or the person who shot Spencer, nor did she make the game. The reveal that she was wearing an earpiece showed that someone was just feeding lines to her. That’s why Aria quietly asked her why she was doing this after Sidney took out (or turned off) the ear piece.

11. Sarah says:

The show FINALLY did something. I liked this episode a lot. Next one looks just as good.

12. chloe says:

Is there some reasons it’s going on a two week break? Other than the fact they want to stretch out the last episodes…..

• stevie says:

It’s a strategic move on the networks part because the majority of shows on competing networks are having season finales that week so they don’t want low viewing numbers because of it. It’s done often, like reruns or music specials being aired because they don’t want to go head to head against the Superbowl.

• Vas says:

Someone had a very good theory that it’s because of Famous in Love. It seems that Pll will take 3 hours, 2 hour finale + 1 hour special, so no space for Famous in love finale, so ppl needs to take a break and finish one week later.

• stevie says:

That’s true, I’m sure they took that under consideration too. But they could have taken the one week break at any time between, or even started one week late. Doing it when scheduled definitely places them at an advantage.

13. Paula says:

This was a good episode overall. I have always been a Paily fan and would like them to be endgame (although Paige deserves much better than indecisive Emily). If Emily commits to raising that unwanted baby with Alison then it will be no different than any other woman using an unplanned pregnancy to ‘trap’ a man into continuing a relationship. Hoping PPL has the courage and sensibility to have Alison abort that fetus or at least have a miscarriage! And don’t waste your time directing religious rhetoric at me!

• stevie says:

What?…Paige is a sociopath that wanted to drown Emily. It’s Em that would be compromising if she ended up with Paige. Emison all the way baby! : )

14. Riana says:

I think Paige is AD. The only other person that would make sense is Lucas but messing up his own company doesn’t make sense.

15. Melissa Friedrich says:

Some things I realized after watching episodes over…Lucas likes to start fires…1st in school when he burns a letter he’s supposed to take home to his parents about his behavior, 2nd he admitted to Hanna the fire that he started which Meredith was in the building, its possible he caused the fire to Mrs D cellar, and since it was his apartment could have caused fire that Aria was burnt by….Lucas gave Hanna a key to his apartment which he could have bugged since he knew the girls would all spend time there. Lucas appeared once AD made themselves known as AD..one of the first things he says to Hanna when he returned to Rosewood was..”I do game apps now” its possible he could be AD he would know how to build his own creepy version of Jumanji. Marlene also posted AD is someone we’ve grown to love over the years.(Lucas) makes himself look lovable for sure. I dont trust 3/4 of Rosewood maybe he has a story to tell. Remember his bedroom all of the Batman figurines? There was even an episode callled Darkest Knight” which is a Batman reference. Lucas is a game App Developer (AD).back when he used to visit Mona at Radley my guess is he was visiting CeCe and they’re closer than people thought. Maybe he gave Hanna the factory to keep her in Rosewood. Emily told both Elliot and Ali about egg donation in Lucas apartment. Mrs Grunwald mentioned a darkness around Hanna and Caleb. He could be making up all of these trips and hiding in plain site since AD googled uniforms. Its obvious after pastor Ted showed Hanna that picture that CeCe and Lucas friends as kids. AD-App Developer? Avenging Death?

• Atiya Magee says:

Girl i hve the same theory….I think it’s him too n I love Lucas he s such a sweetheart but he s always acted iffy since season 1…and he’s mad enough to do it because Ted even said it was a camp for troubled boys. The app developer part tho I didn’t think of that👏👏👏👏.

• Aileen says:

If we’re not going to get an AD Wren, Lucas is the only other option that would make any sense.
      I loved getting answers last night and am hoping we’re going to circle back to the NAT Club impact on the girls.

16. gift says:

I hope Aria doesn’t turn against her friends. And I suspect Lucas might be in link with A D, he is too nice to Anna.

• stevie says:

Now hear this…Paige is AD, Wren is her handler. If you look up the season finale episode in imdb, look under trivia, it confirms Wren being part of AD. And weeks ago, the latter episodes listed the actress playing page as AD. I read that Marlene found out and they removed her profile altogether from the recent episodes, even the recent ones that have already aired.

• stevie says:

They even removed her profile from yesterday’s episode, which she was clearly in, and last week’s and the week before. Paige is AD.

17. Red Snapper says:

This was the first that I truly enjoyed this season. I’ve never liked Paige or her with Emily

• Red Snapper says:

I hit send on accident. I don’t like Emily with Allison either. I always hoped they’d give her a better romantic interest. There were some good reveals this episode. Like pastor Tim being Charlotte’s father and it being Emily’s eggs even though that was pretty obvious. Was it confirmed that Mary killed her sister or was that just what Mr. Hastings thinks happened? I hope Aria doesn’t really go to the darkside even though it would be pretty interesting to watch. Also, I think Paige must be involved somehow. She just hates Allison too much and won’t ever get over it.

• stevie says:

One could argue that it was Peter just assuming it was Mary Drake that killed her sister or maybe he’s lying but the commercial did say we’d find out who killed Jessica in this episode so I’m going to take them at their word. With all the ground they have to cover between this episode and the finale, they don’t need another red herring. As for Aria, it may not matter if she goes dark or not because in the end she has her happy ending which was confirmed through the show’s instagram account with her in her wedding dress.

• gift says:

That is the satisfaction I’m looking for, Aria and Ezra are my favorite couple. I would love to see Spencer with Toby again, I also liked them.

• stevie says:

I like Spoby too but I’m also a father of a teenage daughter, so Ezra is my least favorite character. Lol

18. Monica says:

i already know Emily won’t ended up with Paige ep 15 probably be the last time we see Paige unless she’s AD or the helper i’m glad i got some questions answer this episode

19. Andrew Cantone says:

As we do know. Sydney Driscoll is working for A.D. and Aria may have the positive chance to be working with A.D. or is she going to be the ultimate PLL villain? It’s possible. I’m also concerning that Wren Kingston may have a higher chance to be A.D. because he’s a doctor, a volunteer, and a possible A.D. villain as well. Keep it tuned.

• stevie says:

Wren has a higher chance of being AD because it’s in the books. And IMDB trivia states it in their final episode.

20. Lina says:

I was just wondering has spencer killed anybody? It seems strange that she hasn’t when all the other liars have. But I can’t remember her killing anyone..that we for sure know of anyway. Aria killed Shauna. Ally killed Ian. Hannah killed Archer. Emily killed Mya’s stalker. Has Spencer’s turn happened?