Ratings: Lucifer Returns Down After 3-Month Break, Taken Flat With Finale

Fox’s already-renewed Lucifer returned from its three-month break to 3.4 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating (per finals), down 19 and 16 percent from its previous episode to mark its second-smallest audience, yet landing a tenth above its demo low.

Opening Fox’s night, Gotham (3 mil/1.0) was flat.

Over on NBC, The Voice (9.1 mil/1.8) dipped a tenth yet still edged out ABC’s DWTS for the nightly demo win. Taken (4.4 mil/0.8) was flat with its finale.

Elsewhere….

THE CW | Supergirl (1.75 mil/0.5) dropped a handful of eyeballs to mark a new audience low, while steady in the demo. Jane the Virgin (770K/0.2) was flat.

ABC | Dancing With the Stars (10.3 mil/1.6) was flat, while bubble drama Quantico (2.65 mil/0.6) rose a tenth.

CBS | Kevin Can Wait (6.3 mil/1.2) ticked up with its King of Queens reunion. Man With a Plan (5.4 mil/1.0), Superior Donuts (5.2 mil/1.0) and Scorpion (7.1 mil/1.1) all held steady, while The Great Indoors (4.1 mil/0.8) moved to Monday with easy series lows, and also underperformed vs. 2 Broke Girls’ finale.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Tomm Huntre says:

Superior Donuts just is not funny. It needs a cast overhaul.

• Traditionalist says:

Not sure I’d say cast overhaul, I think it’s the writing and some of the characters themselves. Judd Hirsch and Katey Sagal are always wonderful.

• Kevin Tran says:

Guess I was really shocked that Superior Donuts already got renewed for another season. Still CBS is making sitcoms bad again.

2. Susan says:

Lucifer was awesome!! My boyfriend and I love this show and all the actors. Too much sports on last night which is a shame because this is one of the best shows on tv. So happy it’s back!! Great episode and so funny at that!!

3. fernando933 says:

Damn what is going on with Jane the virgin, I guess next season they better start wrapping it up

4. Brenda says:

The 3 month break was a mistake.
    I’m a regular viewer and I did not know it was back.

• Butch says:

I also did not know it was back until I saw an article at TVline reminding me that it was resuming. I am sure many people were unaware of it’s return. 3 months off is just poor scheduling on Fox’s part.

5. Adam says:

Ouch The Voice and CBS. Renew 2BG!

6. T.W.S.S. says:

I don’t know why Fox gave Gotham and Lucifer such long winter breaks.

7. DebG says:

Way to kill a really good series FOX! But then again, it’s FOX so what else is new.

• Kevin Tran says:

Don’t know what FOX is going to do about the fate of both 24: Legacy and APB now that they wrapped up their respective rookie seasons.

8. A three month break in the middle of a season is a long time. Out of sight, out of mind.

9. Billy meacham says:

These 3 month breaks are ridiculous. I don’t even remember much from the last episode before the long break.

• sunshine says:

That’s my problem too, they kept talking about her almost dying and I couldn’t remember it. Later someone said poison and I started to have flashes in the lab with some bad guy. They really should all do a “so far in the story…” type review for us when the vacations are so long.

10. kmw says:

Wow CBS almost all fractional. At least Scorpion didn’t dip below a 1.0. And all things considered Gotham and especially Lucifer did just fine given both shows had been off the air forever FOX has a good pairing with them and I hope they stay paired next season

11. KayCeeCee says:

I like Taken, but I think that Timeless has a more interesting storyline. I wonder if NBC will keep both of them.

• Nichole says:

Agreed, that twist at the end of Timeless was fantastic!! Having set that up for a second season, I’ll be pretty mad if it gets cancelled :( I like Taken too, but would prefer Timeless over Taken if it came down to one or the other.

• NRQ says:

I actually like both Taken and Timeless, and watched or DVRed every episode of both series so I hope both are renewed…but, the way the networks juggle stuff, I have my (sad) doubts. Both shows have that weird 10:00 PM (EST/PST) slot so that can’t help. NBC and ABC don’t believe in giving anything a decent chance. Funny how the endlessly stupid and cheap to make reality stuff is given chance after chance though. Bummed.

12. Wrstlgirl says:

I dropped Supergirl for a few episodes and came back last week. I just don’t care about any of these characters. I really miss Cat Grant way more than I thought I would.

13. GraceM says:

Seems like most shows aren’t doing well in the ratings lately. Is that time of year or something?

Also did everyone see the billboard ad for Supergirl on Lucifer?

14. ToyCannon says:

I am worried sick about Gotham’s chances of being renewed.

15. jericho says:

Would have helped if I knew Lucifer was going to be on again. Lack of real promotion hurt them there.

Just the same with Great Indoors and its day swap.

16. Larc says:

FOX richly deserves this Lucifer toll for their gross stupidity in putting it on hiatus. If it’s lost, FOX will have only themselves to blame.

17. michaelA says:

What ever their calling a “season” now is a joke. They play 5 episodes then start advertising about the season finale. Takes a lot out of show momentum. They get you used to 5 new shows then it’s time for another finale and make an abrupt turn back to the original shows. It’s ridiculous the way this has become the norm.

Lucifer was good. Just good. Taken finale was really good but Taken has been some what of a distraction from the original movie. I think that’s what the audience has been confused with. I for one didn’t expect the show to be a prequel in it’s entirety. But in saying that, I have watched it and it’s been quite good. But there’s still something that feels slightly off and maybe it’s because of the expectations in comparing it to the actual Taken movie. I hope it gets another season.

• Wrstlgirl says:

The problem I had with Taken had nothing to do with the movie. I just found it very boring and couldn’t get into any of the characters. I was disappointed because I really like Clive Standen.

18. MANDI s says:

Well this cannot come as a big surprise. A three month hiatus would almost kill any other show. Absolutely no promotion during the hiatus. One lousy promo for basically 3 months. Then the debacle with we have nine epsiodes coming to oh wait we now get five. If I did my job like the way this show has been handled I would’nt have a job. Guess it’s a little different in Hollywood.It would be hard to know it was back on unless you were on Twitter and trust me when I say this all of the viewers for this show do not have Twitter. A die hard fan will know but the casual viewer will have lost interest by now, especially given the big cliffhanger they left us with. I know this as I have been talking about this show since I discovered it in the beginning of January. I have talked about it so much friends and family asked if I was working for Fox. While it will not mean much to Fox or the show I managed to get ten of my friends and family to watch and as expected they LOVED IT. But out of those ten six were really turned off by the long hiatus and said hopefully they will watch when it came back on. They also found the lack of information irritating. I dutifully kept them informed and sent texts whenever something was mentioned. They weren too keen on the storyline about Candy and said they would see!! As I write this I texted all and said its back watch. All but three did not watch and said they would at some point this week. But they all asked the same question was it worth it? So here we are after three months five new epsiodes and then another 3-4 month hiatus. How do you expect a normal viewing audience to keep up.
    Hopefully the studio, the EPs, and show runners recognize this, but after last night’s epsiode, it’s hard to tell. While the reviews were great some of us average fans are scratching our heads.
    Promote this show a little better on the next hiatus Fox and Lucifer. If you want any suggestions let me know. It is to good of show to be ignored or treated like this. You arguably have one of the best shows on TV act like you do.

19. Steef_Pif says:

Shame that Gotham is probably not being renewed. It’s actually my favorite DC show. I think it’s partly Fox’s fault for taking multiple long breaks in between episodes.

20. Kevin Fay says:

Does Anyone from GOTHAM ever read these things? If they are cancelled Blame it on the Court of Owls Storyline, slow, drawn out and the leading lady Katherine is just a one note actress unlike a Constance Towers who would have injected some humor and human character to the role. It is a boring story slowing the show to a stop dead unlike the other great villain stories they have already!

21. The network has only itself to blame for Lucifer’s poor performance. The show took a winter break, came back for a while, then disappeared for three months. After 5 episodes, it will again go on hiatus until next October. Who wants to invest in a show that’s rarely available? The plot has become choppy due to lack of continuity; who can remember the details from months earlier? Viewers became committed elsewhere. It’s too bad, because this show, with support, could have become a hit. The characters are three dimensional, the acting is solid and the story unique. Shame on the execs who tanked a worthwhile show.

• MANDI s says:

Exactly, they could have come back on earlier! And despite how great the show is a lot of viewers are not going to hang in there. I also agree despite what you see on social media a lot of people were disappointed with this epsiode and it was quite choppy and there were some definite continuity issues. I hope this get fixed because it really is one of the best shows out there.

22. Great to see Lucifer back, but 3 months off do Fox really know what they are doing? Great show great cast a great humour keep it coming.

23. DavidSask says: