Exclusive
Flash Killer Frost Spoilers

The Flash's Danielle Panabaker Breaks Down Killer Frost's Chilling New Look

The Flash‘s Killer Frost is ready to go full villain, doffing the wispy lounge wear in which she escaped S.T.A.R. Labs to slip on fishnets, thigh-high boots and one very cool cape.

In her previous, Earth-Two incarnation, Killer Frost was clad in leather pants and a jacket, “so this is pretty different with the skirts and stuff,” Danielle Panabaker shared during our visit to the CW hit’s set, where the warm actress was almost (almost) jarring to lay eyes on, wearing her full costume (including a tiny extra flourish not spied in either of these exclusive photos).

Describing the ice queen’s “latest and greatest” look and how it came to be, Panabaker said, “This is our post-Flashpoint Caitlin Snow with powers, who’s become evil and turned into Killer Frost.” The actress, having “benefited from two-and-a-half years of watching other people have super suits,” helped shape the fierce new silhouette by considering practical and theatrical needs, as well as honoring the baddie’s comic book origins.

“In the research that I did about Killer Frost, she always wore boots, which was something that I was really pulling for,” she explained.

“And I know some of our producers really loved this long cape version [of the character], which is great and feels very villainous,” she added. “I love the sleeves on it because a lot of Killer Frost’s action is with her hands, and hopefully the light will really catch all the different details on that.”

Throw in a frosty wig and contact lenses that provide a stone-cold stare, and Panabaker is ready to pursue Killer Frost’s agenda, battling anyone who might stand in her way — Caitlin’s Team Flash pals included, as seen in the episode, “I Know Who You Are,” airing Tuesday, May 2. “It’s a real test of Killer Frost’s abilities, and her devotion — how badly she wants to be a part of the dark side as they all sort of duke it out,” previews her portrayer.

“Obviously, I was hired to play the very sweet scientist, but I’ve been super-excited about playing Killer Frost ever since I signed onto the show. It’s something that I really wanted,” Panabaker effuses. “It’s a great way for people to see that this cast is capable of pulling off multiple characters.”

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Joey Padron says:

Good photos of Killer Frost’s new look. Danielle been doing a great job playing the character.

• Katie says:

I think Danielle’s acting as Killer Frost is cringe and weak! But Caitlin is solely there to service every male guest star. So I guess KF it is.

2. Mo says:

CWwig is till CWwig though. Otherwise looks good! And please don’t freeze off Cisco’s hands next week or ever thanks!

3. Horus says:

Short skirt and long boots. That combination never goes wrong on a villainess.

4. datdudemurphy says:

I think it’s interesting that just as Killer Frost becomes a bad guy in the show, Killer Frost joins Batman’s Justice League in the comics

5. abz says:

Love the look. I hope they don’t get rid of her powers and find a way to keep her as just Frost (minus the Killer). I don’t get why she has to be evil. Why didn’t Cisco become evil then? Or Wally or Jessie when they got their powers? Have they even given an actual explanation as to why Caitlin’s metahuman persona is more prone to evil?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

To be explained in my huuuuuuuge on-the-set feature, coming soon.

• Zzz says:

Is the problem that “you don’t get it” or that they have withheld information and you are too impatient to wait for it?

• abz says:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a little impatient after almost a full season. It’s a question that has been asked by many. Since the early episodes of the season when Barry created Flashpoint and it was revealed that Caitlin had powers, they dragged out her storyline for a really long time with all her denial and efforts to get rid of her powers, but I don’t recall them explaining why her metahuman persona was more prone to evil than others. I don’t think it’s odd to expect them to reveal some information along the way. Not every single thing needs to be left for finales or end of the season.

• Jim says:

Physiological (neurological) changes when she has powers produce a whole new persona. She drew the short end of the superpowers stick, that’s all. It could happen. It’s interesting. In the comics she’s actually a heat vampire, meaning she needs to “eat” biological heat to survive. The evilness is explained as “her heart having frozen through,” whatever that means. It’s why she has such an interesting relationship with Firestorm–he can produce enough heat for her, and when he does, she thaws and is a decidedly nicer person. There’s that tragic element to her character where she doesn’t want to be who she is but can’t help it.

• abz says:

I’ve never read the comics, so I appreciate the explanation. I would actually love to see that play out on screen. Wish they didn’t kill off Ronnie. I can’t remember why they did, but I would love to see some version of this play out. I really enjoy seeing her use her icy powers and definitely the look suits her. Hopefully we’ll see what the show’s explanation will be soon.

6. Gift says:

I like killer Frost nd all but I want sweet nice Caitlin back pls.

7. Alexis says:

I find DP’s acting cringey especially as killer frost but this is the most interesting has character has been. Add that to the fact that the showrunners are letting her go full dark side at least for the time being is refreshing

8. Karen says:

I haven’t watched the show in awhile but Killer Frost storyline makes me wanna give it a try.