TNT Titans Series

Titans: Live-Action DC Comics Series Back on Track, With a Surprising Home

The live-action incarnation of DC Comics’ Titans property that until January 2016 was in development at TNT has found new life, and a very new home.

Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment announced on Tuesday that executive producers Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter are set to bring the up-and-coming superheroes to life in 2018, in a series that will stream exclusively on a DC-branded direct-to-consumer digital service.

Operated by Warner Bros. Digital Networks Group, the new digital service promises to deliver “an immersive experience designed just for DC fans.”

Written by Goldsman, Berlanti and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Johns, Titans will follow Dick Grayson as he emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless band of young, soon-to-be superheroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe, including Starfire, Raven and others.

Ready, set, get to dreamcasting!

1. Parker says:

Hmmm. Could be interesting if the streaming service is packaged with a comics service, too.

2. Butch says:

Is there much interest in stand alone streaming services? Not sure what else they would offer other than streams of the Arrowverse shows plus Constantine, Gotham, and maybe the Batman and Superman cartoons. Seems I will miss more and more shows that I might be interested in but wont see because they are all on separate streams like this and CBS All Access.

• Pedro says:

Netflix can’t fund all shows in the world alone on a $10 monthly fee. They are already having cash-flow problem to produce content, because they are often spending more than they make. One day, not too far, broadcast TV and cable will be a thing of the past and people will most likely have a few different streaming services.

• wakey says:

See I think you’re wrong there unless your counting the likes of Sling as ‘streaming services’. We are much more likely to see channels continue to exist but for cable to pivot to focus more on being delivered across the existing internet connections like Sling rather than specialised cable connections. The reason being that the bundling system ultimately provides those commissioning content with the most combined budget but at the lowest price to the customer.

AMC for example gets about $0.24 per subscriber which with about 90mill cable subscribers thats $22million in carriage fees. Replacing that income via a direct sub would be very hard. They would need 2.2million subs every month at $10 a month to cover that income alone which sure doesn’t sound much BUT it’s more than their prime time network average so if you asked people to subscribe directly they would most likely struggle to get that many because they will have viewers who watch a show on the network because the network is there but wouldn’t deem it worth paying for. If people did just pay for any channel they watch one show on they would quickly end up paying much more than their cable currently costs as you wouldn’t even get 10 channels for current cable costs.

So just pivoting in the distribution method seems like what is likely to win out as its the best middle ground for all parties

• TV Gord says:

I predict that networks will eventually switch to streaming services and all of these will be gathered into a quasi-cable model, but where we pick the “channels” we want, whether it’s Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, CBS All Access, etc, probably bundling them together at better prices. It will be better in the long run, because TV will finally be out from under the draconian control of the FCC.

• wakey says:

The problem is a la crate seems great on the face of it but it would cost us more. It might seem like you are paying for channels you don’t what with bundling up it actually drives the price of what you do watch down significantly. The other benefit of bundling is it keeps niche channels viable where if you were selecting the channels wouldn’t. We certainly wouldn’t see a AMC we have now without bundling because making the drama switch would have been an impossible switch and they wouldn’t have had the income to make it

• Pedro says:

Yeah. You really don’t know how this works. Clearly, each channel wouldn’t become a streaming service. But there would be 20-30 streaming services available and most people would subscribe to at least five. The idea that Netflix could produce every show is unrealistic. New streaming options will have to exist.

I have no idea why WB is doing a DC-only streaming now. It seems too niche. But A WB Streaming service would be huge. They have so many TV shows and films in their catalogue.

• wakey says:

You are missing my point though. I was taking it to the channel level because it’s easier to make the point keeping things simple but even if they were bundled into 20-30 different services it’s going to cut off vast amounts of income the channels rely on by restricting subscribers to the service which means to offset that the prices for each service will be such that even 5 would cost way more than we pay.

Also for non-channel based services you also have the issue of how they are paid for content. It’s now the studios getting the money but that actually means now we don’t have a channel funding a decent chunk of the production costs which they can afford becaus of carriage and ad income. So the service would be having to pick these costs up and find it all from subscription fees from a fragmented subscriber base because people are having to choose only a few.

And no a WB streaming service wouldn’t be huge because they would have to end all their content deals with others and to replace that income would be impossible at a realistic price. The deal they have with Netflix for the shows they and cbs produce for the CW is worth $40mill a year on its own so even if it’s a 50/50 split it would take 20,000 subscribers who stay subscribed all year to replace that income alone and that’s just a tiny fraction of their TV content they have already sold let alone movies

• Pedro says:

Learn Math. Your arguments make no sense.

3. Dj says:

I will skip this. I had a lot of interest in watching both series, but putting them on DC digital service has now killed that.

4. Azerty says:

I don’t think this will be in the same universe that the CW shows. That’s too bad it would be the perfect opportunity to gather the sidekicks like Arsenal or Speedy, Kid Flash, Guardian, etc. to give them a good storyline without overshadowing the hero of the main shows. Anyway I am really excited to see Nightwing since it is my favorite character from the DC universe.

• Steveo says:

I’ve got mixed feelings about ARROW-Verse vs. not.

I do think, in the long term, a TEEN TITANS show should have the ability to define its own Deathstroke and Brother Blood.

5. S says:

Doesn’t The CW have a streaming deal with Netflix that includes the Flarrowverse shows? Hard to believe the CW shows would be on this platform.

• Horus says:

The deal might be expiring by 2018. Plus we need to keep in mind that the CW is jointly owned by CBS and Warner Brothers. It is a simple thing for WB to put CW shows on its new streaming service.

6. TVFan says:

So, how much is THIS stand-alone streaming service gonna charge us? How many stand-alone streaming services does 1 person need?
    I was very interested in checking this show out when it was going to air on TNT. Now, I will probably need to skip it.

7. AJJJ says:

Does Greg Berlanti have a personal life?!?! 😂

8. T.W.S.S. says:

This is slightly confusing. Arrow killed off several Suicide Squad characters in the run up to the DCEU film, but there’s going to be a Nightwing-led Teen Titans series and a Nightwing film?

• Azerty says:

I am not sure at all but it looks like they have changed their opinion about that rule. It has been a couple of years since Arrow killed off the characters from Suicide Squad (I guess you are thinking of Deadshot and Amanda Waller). But since this season they seems to be ok with having a TV version and and movie version of some characters, for example they introduced Superman in Supergirl, they brought back *SPOILER* Deathstroke in Arrow or they are planning for Dick Grayson in this new show. In Supergirl and Arrow it was their choice, not a storyline requirement so if the rule was still on, they wouldn’t have been allowed. Again I might be wrong but as it seems to coincide with Geoff Johns becoming the big boss, supervising every media (comics but also tv and movies) of the DC Universe around last year I think.

9. Jeff hunter says:

I think this is the best news ever, and Berlanti suggestion for Nightwing:Steven r. McQueen!😁jeff

10. JC1 says:

I’m not sure what to think about this. I guess it’ll depend on the cost. I was looking forward to the new Young Justice, but I figured it would end up on Netflix, to be honest.
    There was talk awhile back about WB doing their own streaming service, and that might have been interesting if they’d included access to some of their old shows that aren’t available anywhere else (I don’t know if that would have been an option or not – just speculating). But just DC only? I don’t know. I don’t read comics and have no interest in that, so….*shrug*

11. Dennis says:

Awesome!
    Question: Is TNT still owned by Time Warner/Warner Brothers DC Television? Or is TNT not part of WB anymore? Thanks!

• Butch says:

Turner Entertainment Networks is still part of Warner Bros. and includes
      truTV
      TBS
      TNT
      TCM

In addition also part of Warner Bros. is
      TBS, Inc. Animation, Young Adults & Kids Media which includes
      Cartoon Network
      Adult Swim
      Boomerang

12. TV Gord says:

I’m curious to see how they translate Starfire to the screen. I hope they do her justice. (Does Charo have a granddaughter?)

13. Diggory says:

This could be free, right?

• Butch says:

I think the best you can hope for is a free trial. As an example Warner Archive streaming service which streams classic movie and TV shows is about $10 a month, I think, and comes with a 30 day free trial for new subscribers. Maybe Warner Bros will offer a package including several streaming services.

14. ToyCannon says:

Hopefully Wally West can survive this season on “Flash” and then move to Titans.

15. A. D. says:

This sucks…I want to see both of these shows but why ANOTHER pay site…Plus I want to watch on my TV…ugh

16. ktc1986 says:

This could be an interesting prospect if they don’t tie the series down to network TV standards like run times, they could make it the DC equivalent of the Marvel Netflix shows. I love the Teen Titans anyway so i’ll be tuning in for this.

17. Drewer says:

I was so hoping that the series would go to screen back when it was in development at TNT with the show sounding like it would revolve around Nightwing/Oracle. But this sounds like it’s skewing the characters a bit younger and won’t have Barbara Gorden/Oracle. If it is skewing younger though I agree it might be a nice place to gather KidFlash and Jesse and some others the series’ don’t have as much room for. Or they could always put it in a different Earth, maybe Batman exists on Earth 2 and Kidflash follows Jesse back to Earth 2’s Bloodhaven or something. Or maybe Batman exists in the Supergirlverse…who knows. I always thought Taylor Lautner would actually make a great Nightwing, as silly as that sounds, I think he’s got the right balance of athleticism and humor/charm you need in Nightwing. And after stumbling on Disney’s Decendents over the Summer when channel surfing I immediately thought BooBoo Stewart and Cameron Boyce (who were by far the best part of that movie) would make excellent an excellent Jason Todd and Tim Drake respectively. Although I doubt that even if the producers wanted to put those characters in the show DC would let them use so much of the BatFam. Just please, I hope they keep League of Shadows out of it,

18. Carlos Lee says:

Crap. Why can’t it be on the WB? Then we can have more crossovers.

19. Mark says:

Is it set in the same verse as current shows so making for the possibility of character crossover???