the voice recap top 12

The Voice Top 12 Performance Recap: That Don't Impress Me Much, Except...

Going into The Voice’s Top 12 performance night — with Shania Twain trying on for size a fifth chair — Team Alicia’s Chris Blue looked — and, more importantly, sounded — like a lock to win Season 12. (I can’t be the only one still playing his version of Riri’s “Love On the Brain” on a loop, right? If it was vinyl, I’d have worn out three needles on it by now.) Was the retro-soul showman able to bring down the house once again Monday? Or did his star fade just enough for him to be outshone by a less flashy singer? Read on…

Mark Isaiah (Team Adam), “One Dance” — Grade: C- | Covering Drake, the charismatic teen wanted to demonstrate his R&B bonafides but wound up being kinda drowned out by the band and, when he wasn’t, too often sounded more like he was about to win his high school’s talent show than The Voice. And can we talk about his moves? No, because we are nice people, we cannot. “Honest to God,” Adam said after the performance, “I’m blown away right now.” “Pants on fire,” I replied.

Stephanie Rice (Team Alicia), “White Flag” — Grade: C+ | In rehearsals, Stephanie said that she wanted to make her version of the Dido hit the most haunting one ever. On stage, her breathy rendition certainly came off, er, different. But she may have overacted it (or, at least, for my taste, did). Perhaps a quirk or two fewer stuffed into a single performance would have allowed her to better reveal the purity of her vocals that so wowed her coach. Votingwise, she’s lucky she redeemed herself with her big notes.

the voice recap top 12Jesse Larson (Team Adam), “Make You Feel My Love” — Grade: B- | “I die over your voice,” Shania told Jesse in rehearsal. Presumably, she meant “die happy,” too. In his performance, Jesse sounded… well, very Jesse: soulful and hearty and present. But there was a tanginess to his vocal that almost made my ears pucker. I know you love him — and hey, I think he’s super likable, too, and generally a solid singer. However, this didn’t “astonish” me the way it did Jesse’s coach.

Troy Ramey (Team Gwen), “Free Fallin'” — Grade: C | After being warned by Gwen and Shania about rewriting melodies, Troy… OK, he still took some liberties with the verses. But, in his defense, he sounded great singing them softly. Even Tom Petty would probably have approved. But on Troy’s big chorus, he was so shouty — strain much? — that I didn’t get the subtlety that Shania praised (and that had made the verses so winning).

Aliyah Moulden (Team Blake), “(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave” — Grade: A- | The teen was having as much fun as a basket of kittens in rehearsals — and sounded breathtaking trying out the Martha and the Vandellas classic a cappella. On stage, she conquered her nerves and sounded like a million bucks. Possibly even a million and a half. Frankly, she was so good, she had me thinking that maybe she and not my beloved Lilli Passero was the contestant destined to become a retro-pop star. Even Aliyah’s outta-nowhere big, last note landed. Kickass.

Chris Blue (Team Alicia), “Love and Happiness” — Grade: A | Advised by Shania and Alicia to explore the tender side of his vocal to give the Al Green gem more dynamics, Chris displayed even more range than usual (which, given his usual, staggering range, is really saying something). When he’s performing, you can take neither your eyes nor your ears off of him. The guy’s just a star. At this point, aren’t the remaining episodes of Season 12 just an excuse to check out a new Chris performance?

Lauren Duski (Team Blake), “Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good” — Grade: B+ | Adorably, Lauren fangirl’d out in rehearsal while harmonizing with her idol, Shania. Then, on stage, Lauren sounded as gorgeously earthy as her dress was sparkly. The Lee Ann Womack number might not have been the showiest of the night. But then, Lauren’s strength has always been her subtlety — she’s a delicate sketch artist, not a vocalist who sings in broad strokes.

the voice recap top 12Lilli Passero (Team Adam), “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” — Grade: B+ | After getting so sick that she couldn’t make her rehearsal, Lilli managed to give a solid visual performance on stage — I mean, what couldn’t she sell with those eyes? Vocally, though, what was Adam thinking? Shania’s hit was about as right for Lilli as AC/DC would be for Mark Isaiah. She had fun with it, and sounded fine — definitely better than last week’s Live Playoffs — but this wasn’t the kinda song she’s really meant for, so she didn’t sound her absolute best. And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who’s rooting for her almost as much as Chris.

Brennley Brown (Team Gwen), “Long, Long Time” — Grade: A | Tackling the Linda Ronstadt classic, the teenage country girl packed in enough heart to break a few. And how impressive was the control she had over her vibrato? (Short answer: very.) Shania called her performance “as good as it gets,” and I’d have to agree. As far as I can hear, Brennley has become a much bigger threat than my former frontrunner Lilli to the Chris victory that seems by now a foregone conclusion.

TSoul (Team Blake), “Always On My Mind” — Grade: B | After a sorta shaky, uncertain start, Mr. Unique found his footing and took us to church. But the overall impression that this left was, “Gifted dude, uneven performance.” All the ingredients seemed to be there for something amazing — and bits of it were. But those awesome parts were greater than the whole, and that isn’t exactly what you want from a number that you hope will keep you advancing toward the finals.

the voice recap top 12Hunter Plake (Team Gwen), “Somebody That I Used to Know” — Grade: B- | Putting an EDM-ish spin on Gotye, Hunter wasn’t sounding as polished as we’ve come to expect him to. He still howled like a champ when he got a chance, but mostly, the production swallowed up his vocal — ironic, considering, as his coach pointed out, the arrangement was his own (un)doing.

Vanessa Ferguson (Team Alicia), “A Song for You” — Grade: A | Tackling Donny Hathaway forced Vanessa to, as she put it, “apply [herself] emotionally.” The result was stunning — gorgeous and raw, and, arguably just as impressive, we saw the wall that I’ve often felt between us and her come down. If she can keep connecting with songs and us that way, she could be a serious contender. This was absolutely fantastic work. Wow.

So, who do you think is in trouble after tonight? What did you think of Shania as a mentor? Would you like to see her coach a team next season? Hit the comments.

1. OhMy says:

Ok, well. I still don’t get the love for Chris Blue, but others seem too. I didn’t hear too much tonight that was worth much. First night though.

• OhMy says:

(others seem to, not too)

• OhMy says:

And “A Song For You” was only covered by Donny Hathaway. Why can’t reviewers and reality show people not understand that? Leon Russel, for heaven’s sake.

If only there was a machine we could use to look up these things.

• OrionOnion says:

Oh that bothers me too. The original singer who made the song a hit is never mentioned. So irksome. Like Don William’s original and classic “Lord I Hope This Day is Good,” which Lauren Duski destroyed (and I don’t mean in a good way.)

• Stephen Wunderlich says:

Thank you. There should be an electric shock that’s applied every time Donny Hathaway’s name is said instead of Leon Russell. Give the songwriter his due!

• smschira says:

I feel the same way whenever people say “Make You Feel My Love” is by Adele. Bob Dylan wrote it and Garth Brooks also did a version before Adele. Just because a song is “more popular” by someone who did a cover version does not mean the song should be announced as by that singer. My only exception to this is if the contestant is doing a version of the song that is musically/tonally different than original and more in line with the way a cover version was sung. In that case the contestant should say this song originally by this singer or band, but they will be singing this other version. And I feel like these coaches or mentors on reality singing competitions would gain more credibility for shaping an artist if they broaden the contestants’ musical knowledge and don’t let them say, for example, by Donnie Hathaway, by Adele or by Whitney Houston (“I Will Always Love You” is by Dolly Parton, “more famously” covered by Whitney Houston). OK rant over. :)

• Anna Johnson says:

YES YES! YAY for Bob Dylan for a truly beautiful song.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Thank you, that overlooked fact drives me crazy every single time Leon gets overlooked when the song is covered. And by the way no one sings it better than Leon either. It’s not like Leon is some chump who just stumbled into one lucky song, he is an icon

• Romare says:

Thank you!!

• Angie_Overrated says:

I thought Brenley and Chris were both pretty good. A few good performances. A few ok performances, but tonight had more than a handful of duds. It wasn’t a strong night.
      I have a soft spot for Stephanie too even if her voice doesn’t exactly make my boat float.

• Auzy says:

Me too. I have a soft spot for Stephanie Rice. I thinking she should explore more of her soft voice. It is her strongest point.

• bobsaccamanna says:

was wondering if you were going to like Brenley as much as I did. She did a fantastic job on my favorite Linda Ronstadt song, so much so that even Linda’s version crawled onto the I Tunes top 100 again. Chris was good too and I thought Lilli did an ok job with yet another absolutely horrible song choice from Adam. I don’t get the love for Hunter, I have heard that song 1000 times yet still couldn’t make out the words as he was singing them.

• Anna Johnson says:

I have long wanted someone to do Linda Ronstadt and suggested it a few years ago for the adorable Emily Ann Roberts, whose voice had that indefinable Rondtadt poignancy, so I was thrilled to hear Brennley do what is also one of my favorite Linda songs. Once Casi Joy was gone (still cannot understand why her incredible talent wasn’t recognized by enough of America, though the song she sang the night she was eliminated was NOT her best), I had to really listen hard to each singer and not LOOK at them. This was Brennley’s best so far, but she sang well on “Better Man” too. Most of the other singers aren’t THAT good — Chris and other men get too much help and are actually outsung by the background singers, and though they can move well on stage, this show is about the VOICE, yes? I think the other girls have either weaker or less appealing voices, though some are pretty or cuties. I also think Brennley has grown with each performance.

• bobsaccamanna says:

I have always thought that the band is way too loud, and singers have to struggle to be heard over them. Maybe that’s why quieter songs and slow ballads seem to chart better in recent years. In any event I am struggling to hear why people are so enthralled with Hunter, this is the second week in a row he has mumbled his way through a song, JMO but I don’t see anything unique or special about his vocals.

• John Anthony says:

Apparently someone on CBS agrees with you. I quote, ” If the twelve performers on The Voice are the best they can come up with then another show is a was of time! You can’t fool the public with average talent.” Not my words but I agree with both of you!

2. rhayden5995 says:

I’d have to disagree with some of the recaps. Stephanie in my opinion had the best performance of the night. I’m rooting for her to win. I however believe hunter is the best one in the competition.

3. rhayden5995 says:

Also I believe Lilli was the worst one of the night in my opinion

• analythinker says:

I agree with this. Even Aliyah had better control over her vocals. When Adam said it was the perfect song choice for her, I actually cringed cause I could already imagine the performance…

• Angie_Overrated says:

I stopped watching that one quickly. No thank you.
        I stopped watching a few performances tonight. There are some pretty bad singers in this group.
        Some good ones too though. All hope is not lost.

• analythinker says:

I find myself keep liking Brennley and not getting bored by the soft song choices, and I like Stephanie too, even though I still can’t quite decide about her voice.

• OrionOnion says:

Brennley is really preternaturally gifted and miles above the rest.

• Lizzie says:

I didn’t enjoy Brennley’s performance much, and I really like the song which she kind of mangled.and over-emoted. A bunch of them overdid their angst level in their performances, not sure if that is the stage people working with them in practice, or where that is going wrong, but it is unpleasant.

• Smokey says:

That was an absolutely horrific song choice for Lilli by Adam. …….I believe it was just a payolla/gift-back thing by the show and Shania, as the songs by the original artist often jump back onto the itunes/billboard charts somewhere , after they have just been covered on the show. …………………………………………………………………………

The only hope for Lilli on that bend of her artist style/character , is that maybe some Country fans will buy it.Plus, there were enough other bad song choices tonight that she might escape the elimination.

• Lizzie says:

Shania has much better songs for someone other than her to sing, and this one although a hit for her, wasn’t of any substance that Lily could work her voice into making it good.

• Gorgonzola Matrix says:

‘Man i feel like a woman’ makes me cringe to hear in karaoke/singing competitions.

4. Kate says:

I feel like a lot of them have pronunciation issues or mangle the words which is very distracting. Particularly Stephanie, Troy, and Aliyah. Lilli doing Shania was a hot mess. You knew it was bad when the best Shania could say was that it was nice to see her do it live.

• kevstar69 says:

They are slurring the words because that’s what all the cool alternative kids do. Gotta be different when they all have tattoos, piercings, dyed hair, retro clothes, and hobo beards.

• scott says:

Like Troys Frayyy Falling. I think he’s the one to go tomorrow night

• Kate says:

Yes! Free is a pretty simple word. How do you get that one wrong? The first time he did it I thought it was just nerves, but he did it all the way through. It’s one thing to play with phrasing or tempo, but making the words to iconic songs unrecognizable isn’t a great idea.

• dbsuma says:

Boy, I hope Troy isn’t the one to go tomorrow! He has a beautiful voice. Go to youtube and look up some of his songs. I wanted so much for him to do well tonight, but the minute it was announced he was doing Tom Petty, I thought “oh sh&t.” The enunciation of “free” really bothered me, but I don’t think he in any way deserves to go home. He’s a far better singer than some others on this show.

5. JMark (formerly JM) says:

I would watch continuing to say that Chris Blue has this won (this from someone who thinks he should win), because I really don’t think he does. Other artists, like Hunter, seem to have done better on iTunes than him. Similarly, Gwen should abstain from declaring Hunter the winner. That will only hurt him in the long run if the audience thinks it’s a done deal. TSoul, while a very nice man, was forgettable. So was Troy, Jesse and Mark. Stephanie and Hunter both overacted a bit. Aliyah and Lilli shouted too much. Best of the night were Chris, Vanessa, Lauren and Brennley.

• Smokey says:

I pretty much agree except I believe Aliyah gained some ground tonight as well as the 4 you picked. ………………………………………I think Jesse Larson lost ground without the guitar and it wasn’t his type of song to be doing, Bad song choice also for T-Soul and Lilli , and I didn’t see near what Troy could do with a better song for his style and range.

anyone who was given a bummer song choice by their coach could lose lots of ground against the competition,………. that suggests Jesse, Troy, T-Soul and especially Lilli.

• dlraetz says:

Loved Lauren. Only song I bought

• twschaller says:

I was going to comment, but after reading yours figured “Why? He just said all I was thinking” . I’ll only add to the tired chorus of people whining about Adam’s often odd song choices . Lilli and Mark (especially) need better direction.

• JMark, I usually agree with you but tonight I liked TSoul and Jesse. I always love Lili, but not the song for her. Chris was a but too much for me yet last week, he was the best for me. Aloha

6. kevstar69 says:

Why are they picking non-singing songs like Feel Like a Woman and overrated lite rock songs like Free Fallin’?

7. Lori says:

Worse year yet the best got voted off

8. montie329 says:

I think Vanessa, Hunter, Lauren, Chris and Brennley will be top 5. My favorite is Hunter but I thought Vanessa was killer tonight!

• davmon says:

Vanessa and Brennley were exquisite last night–s was Chris Blue per usual. Huneter and Lauren were very good–if anything a slight drop for him, while her song was executed well there it was a softball with little variable phrasing or melody. Most of the rest did well to middlin’–but not sure they have the consistency to break of those five.

9. Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Lauren, Brennley, Vanessa, Lilli, Hunter, and Chris were my faves tonight. Lauren and Vanessa killed it as always! Brennley REALLY is coming up on all of our faves tbh cause WOW, that was a MOMENT. Chris was great too, but I worry for him about showing off to much for each and every performance. While Lilli and Hunter did not have their best nights, they still deserved to sail throu over the others.

10. Amber says:

I don’t watch this show. I just wanted to say the guy in the picture on the main page looks like Johnny Gill. That might be one of the highest compliments I’ve ever given a stranger.

11. Cecile Hoffman says:

To me Brenley hit all the marks. I was very disappointed I. Some of the songs picked. I loved Aiya she commanded the stage, And Vanessa what a wonderful talent she is. Then there is Jesse in a class by himself, and Lauren reminds me of Martina McBride and Trisha Yearwood. A natural. The key here is consistency. I pray Brenley Continues to be consistent then she will win. We will see.

12. Jo says:

Charlie – Though I think you do a great job filling in for the recap, I SO wish you would put the poll daddy poll in and let us vote for our favorite 3 performances. Some of us are more lurkers than posters and I used to love getting a full picture of where people are at. It was also a pretty accurate from time-to-time.

Anyway, loved Chris Blue. Hunter has been one of my favorites the last few weeks and I really live that Gotye song, but this version just didn’t do it for me.

• Jo says:

Ugh. Typos. *pretty accurate. Not a pretty accurate.
      And *like that Gotye song. No wonder I am more of a lurker

• Smokey says:

agree, like Hunter but didn’t think his cover of the song was all that special, maybe the band arrangement and sound mix was a bit lacking which didn’t help..

• Charlie Mason says:

Good idea… Will try to pop in a poll next week. :)

• Lizzie says:

Hey, a bunch of people have been asking for the poll like Slezak did, this isn’t the first ask to bring that back.

13. mike b says:

Chris blue’s off-key scream fest gets an A? Tragically desperate performance.

14. Debbie roster says:

Would love to c Shania twain as a judge for next season think u would attract even more TV viewers!

• skrable2a says:

Exactly the opposite reaction. She never stopped talking

• Johnson says:

The show format allows way too much blah, blah, blah by the coaches and sometimes the mentors as well – the players could easily do 2 songs per episode if they would hi-lite the singers instead of the celebrities.

15. OrionOnion says:

As usual the sound was terrible and almost everyone’s nerves got the better of them. It is almost surreal how much better the iTunes recordings sound. Those producers know their game.

16. Smokey says:

Last I checked the itunes top 100 =

Troy Ramey 100

Aliyah Moulden 84

TSoul 78

Vanessa Ferguson 70

Stephanie Rice 63

Chris Blue 43

Hunter Plake 36

Lauren Duski 19

Brennley Brown 14

17. Voice Fan says:

I am so happy. The Voice was still airing on the west coast and the two country girls were heading towards the top 10 on I-Tunes. Brennley is 14 and Lauren 19. Hunter is next in the 40s. By morning I expect they will be 1 and 2.

• Voice Fan says:

As of 9:25 pm Pacific Time, Brennley was 11, Lauren Duski 15 and Hunter Plake 25 on the I-Tunes overall chart.

18. OrionOnion says:

One last comment. I really loathe how they let one guest artist take over the show. Last season it was Dolly Parton. Now Shania. I’d rather see Alicia speak than her. The whole show was her. It sucked.
    The show must get paid big bucks for these brand endorsements and I hate it.

• Johnson says:

Lots of games going-on behind the scenes on these shows, of music publisher (who control certain song catalogs) deals, pushing certain songs to get done on the show, coaches involved, payolla, percentage cuts, big names of the past getting their songs on the show and them back in the spotlight, Idol did the same thing with their songs all from one songbook nights, sometimes with former stars that could barely sing through their songs anymore.

19. danin says:

I thought Hunter,TSoul, Aliyah& Lilli were less impressive than Troy. I dig the way Troy finds a fresh rhythm to the lines of the lyrics..like a poet finding a fresh way to speak from his or her or their essence. Iam not feeling TSoul, and Lilli hasn’t been on her game since Amy Winehouse performance. I thought Hunter stretched the Goyte song too far away from its melody.And Aliyah was too much in one part of her throat, so I changed the channel..otherwise I amin agreement w/the writer of this article on the level of performance of everyone else. Jack up that grade for Troy.

• christopher bee says:

That´s what i´ve thought about Troy. One of the very best interpretations of that song ever. What are U smoking Mr. Mason? And an A- for that dull bland Aliyah?

• Johnson says:

imo, lilli picked a great audition song for herself and has been declining ever since the coaches took control of her songs. Alicia begged her to be on her team, then cut her and Adam has not identified what her wheelhouse is, just trying to push her in different and the wrong directions.

There are both older and newer songs she could do well with. She won’t last long because Adam is incompetent in guiding her talents. He has no chance of winning this season, he is misguiding his team, . Lilli’s only chance to last a while is if she and other influences overthrow Adam’s opinions and get her back into her realm.

20. Johnson says:

So that gives at least a clue that Mark Isaiah Jesse Larson and Lilli Passero are in the bottom half and possibly one or two of them will be bottom 3, if they are doing that game this year.

21. Annie says:

Omg, Chris Blue is amazing. My favorites of the night, other than him, were Brennley, Lauren, Vanessa and Aliyah. Not sure what’s up with the guys but Chris was the only one I’d write home about.

• Johnson says:

Chris will eventually knock T-Soul and Vanessa out of the R&B/Soul lane of the competition, and be squaring-off with the Pop lane singers like Hunter Plake and the Country singers , Lauren and/or Brennley.

• Marci says:

I totally agree!! Chris is Sooooo awesome!! The reason Im even watching the show.

22. Ty says:

Chris Blue better win because he’s all heart when he sings. I keep watching all the episodes with him on them just to see his performance and to hear him sing.

23. Whattya says:

Chris Blue still in the lead. Shania sounds like she has a bubble in her throat and looks like she came out of a time warp.

24. Sunshine says:

I love Shania Twain I think she would be a great coach.

25. Sunshine says:

I believe Lilli could be in trouble after that performance, she sounded terrible, way off pitch, there wasn’t really anyone that got me excited, I don’t know if it’s song choice or what but the vocals haven’t been real impressive lately.

26. Yvonne says:

27. Gogo says:

Shania is beautiful, but she is award on tv. Don’t add her regularly.

28. Yvonne says:

My man chris blue a song that i suggested “love n happiness ” in my book HE IS THE WINNER! PRIME SHOW CHRIS!LOVED HIM FROM THE TOP!💋💜💋i did not say this before!!! But steohanie Rice killed it again tonight i love her too!

• OrionOnion says:

Think he’s great but he needs to start singing some of those songs people sing along to instead of showcasing his range.

29. Danielle says:

I like Lilli and think she has had some great performances but I’m sorry, she was straight up horrible tonight. Where’s Simon Cowell? We need some constructive criticism up in here. That was like listening to a bad audition for a high school talent show. I will say the song choice was terrible so it’s partially Adam’s fault, but a great singer can sing almost anything and it will sound amazing. Unfortunately she’s not that singer so I don’t get the hype at all. It’s all about Chris, Vanessa and Hunter.

30. loisbea says:

Well, you got most of the A’s right. Brennley was not an A. Brennley is too young to know that a straightforward emotional approach is much more effective than hammering the emotion of a song. She has a big country voice, though, and I liked her ending. Clearly, she’s going places. Lilli: Pure mercy B+ on your part. True, it was the completely wrong song, but Lilli was instructed to make it sultry, which would have been interesting–and she didn’t. Also, Jesse does constrict his voice a lot, but in spite of that, he’s always a “Wow.” And don’t understimate the power of his immense likability and charisma. I didn’t like the song Stephanie was given–melodically, it just wasn’t interesting, but she did it well. Aliyah is just delightful, with a great voice. The best of the night was Chris Blue (duh) and the worst was Hunter Plake. Gwen did him no favors with that song. From best to worst: Chris Blue, Vanessa Ferguson, Aliyah Moulden, TSoul, Jesse Larson, Stephanie Rice (prejudice on my part, I love her), Brennley Brown, Lauren Duski, Troy Ramey, Mark Isaiah, Lilli Passero, Hunter Plake.

31. Nancy Williamson says:

Whoever you want to win the voice have them do David Draiman of Disurbed’s version of song of silence absolutely amazing

32. Karen says:

Wow, Vanessa was awesome. I loved how she went natural with her hair, No hat, light make up. Very vulnerable. Smart move on her part.

33. Rodrigo says:

Bring the damn poll back!

34. Cdn View says:

I think someone perhaps had to sing a Shania song, Man, I Feel Like AWoman came up. And Lilly Thomas (sp?) ended up with the short straw. Really, she was the closest of all the women who could have had even a chance of pulling it off. Hopefully, she’ll stay in the race, and pull up in the lead next week.

• loisbea says:

Stephanie should have sung the song. She would have ripped it to pieces and put it back together again. Or Vanessa. But Shania invited Lilli to make it sultry (that takes some reworking)–and big fail there. It appears for the most part artists are allowed to rework a song a bit. I wonder if others were approached with the song and seemed less receptive. And Lilli was sick, so she couldn’t argue. It would have been hilarious to have been assigned to one of the men, Mark, Troy, Jesse or Hunter (not Chris Blue or Soul, though, people color have a hard enough row to hoe not his show).

• Johnson says:

Not a chance of Lilli surviving very long, with Adam picking her songs.
      He tries to push his contestants into his idea of what he thinks is cool, rather than showcasing their natural strengths in music & song. .

Her best coach would have been Usher or Pharrell, they would have let her run with her own lane instead of trying to shape-shift her into something she is not.

35. Carla Krae says:

Lilli Passero was flat for 98% of the song. It’s a hard song to keep pitch for unless you’re solid on that in your own right, and then worse if you’re sick. Country fans have heard way too many bad karaoke versions of that song!

36. dbsuma says:

Huh? You give Aliyah Moulden an A- ??? I thought it was terrible. In my opinion, the best last night were Hunter, Lauren, Troy, Vanessa, and Brennley. The worst: Aliyah and Lilli.

37. Cdn View says:

I take my comment back re. Lilly Passaero (sp?). She did great, but she was plain still sick, and suffered from also lack of practice! Her body movements were not sharp and precise, footsteps, turns, hand movements. She never has done that!! But, she was totally capable of it, if she were well, and if she had the practice time.
    Pro that she is, she made no excuses. I hope she gets through!!!

38. Cgiff60 says:

I felt that Alicia was spot on with her song choices for team members, Gwen and Blake OK, and Adam not so much

39. ChillTrick says:

When you grade lily’s performance above anyone else’s last night, that’s when it’s time to seek help. Whether it’s crack or childhood trama, you need an intervention.

40. I love Lauren’s voice!! I hear so much Faith Hill in her. #teamlauren #teamblake #forthewin

41. Spooner says:

What has happened to your recaps this year? Brennley cant sing a single note that isnt heavily vibrato’d, Jesse is amazing and I can only assume you down play him because he is Blue’s only real competition, and Lilli quite easily gave the worst performance of the night (her coach could barely think of anything good to say and he is the biggest self promoter of all the coaches). I’m one more disaster of a recap away from going elsewhere.

• Spooner says:

Power Rankings (weighting this week heavily, but keeping past performance in mind)
      Tier 1

Brennley
      Troy

Tier 3
      TSoul

Tier 4
      Mark
      Lilli (although hopefully its just because she was sick)

• Johnson says:

Jesse lost a lot of ground when Adam took his guitar away. Doesn’t make any difference if he sings well, but they try to switch his image, mid-stream, and it will cost him —– but enjoyed your power ranking post..

42. Chris Aragon says:

I’m sorry, but Hunter doesn’t belong in the top 12. Heck, in my opinion, he didn’t belong on the show at all.

43. Voice Fan says:

According to I-Tunes, Adam’s three singers are on the bottom. Jesse and Mark didn’t even crack the top 200. Brennly is the only one in the top 10 but Lauren is almost there.

44. Hey I miss your polls. You should put that in your next blog post

45. trainerbt says:

Brennley reminds me a lot of Danielle Bradbery, except Brennley has the added ability to show emotion while she’s singing instead of that blank, vapid look Danielle always had. Hunter brought actual dimension to “Somebody That I Used to Know” that was completely lacking in the original – loved it! He’s my favorite this season, which probably means he’s doomed to third place, where many of my picks end up.

46. Romare says:

I am 100% in agreement about Chris Blue. I liked Stephanie better than you did; Lauren, Lilli and Vanessa wowed me. But TSoul was the biggest disappointment of the night, because I have liked him so much in the past. WAY too many “runs.” If he had cut them by 75%, I would have been fine with that.

47. david fakerton says:

Vanessa was not really a match for the late great Leon Russell. There is only one master of time and space. Listen to his version(s) in his prime and you’ll get it.

48. Marci says:

Chris Blue has to win… He is by far, the best!! I wish I was a music producer… He’d already be signed, sealed and delivered!!!

49. I didn’t like the song choice for T-Soul, he was over the top with his rendition, too much vibrato.

50. Lizzie says:

Good lord, who dressed Lily? I kept waiting for her to flash the audience.

Mark Isaiah (very weak performance), Stephanie Rice (airy screeching), and maybe Jessie or Troy, are the bottom 3. I did not enjoy Brennley oversinging (even if it was mostly sort of quieter) that beautiful song that she didn’t seem to understand the simple lyrics of – she should be in the singoff or out all together, her performances are overly acted and her vocals although somewhat good quality, always seem so overwrought that it is kind of painful to watch her sing. In the singoff, likely Lily unless she is out all together. Being sick is a disaster on these shows, and that was not a good song for her vocally, or based on the needed “sass” level.

People that should be staying on for the next round: Chris,Vanessa (I will be sad if she isn’t in the top group), Aliyah (what a little sparkling performer), Lauren (song was not the best she’s done), Hunter who finally looked like he should be there and was less boring.