Scandal Recap

Scandal Recap: Who Got Elected? Who Got Killed? And Who Got Busy?

Cyrus may not be behind bars anymore, but as we saw on Thursday’s Scandal, the weight of his experience has left him a prisoner in his own mind.

Following the vice president-elect’s exoneration, there was but one question on America’s lips: Would he take back the Oval Office, or would the country remain #WithHer? Though Mellie initially resisted ceding the presidency — chewing every last bit of scenery as she lashed out at Olivia, at one point making literal Biblical references — she eventually agreed to throw in the towel. That is, until Elizabeth North decided to intervene.

Meanwhile, despite Rowan’s best efforts (“You need to stop!!!”), Olivia made it her mission to get Cyrus back into the White House — a mission which became extremely difficult after Michael appeared on a national talk show to assure the country, “Cyrus is not a good man. He’s a cheater, a liar, a manipulator.” (And would you vote for a president who couldn’t even count on his own ex-prostitute ex-husband for support? Come on, now.)

So she had to pull out the big guns — the Fitz guns — to convince Cyrus that @POTUS was still a Twitter account worth fighting for. Frankly, I’m surprised at how quickly Fitz was able to win Cyrus over, considering how down he was on the idea at the top of the hour. Fitz didn’t even have to call him “Sweet Baby” or anything!

Then came the twist that no one literally everyone saw coming: Elizabeth was acting under the guidance of Shadowy Organization™ leaders Peus and Ruland! It turns out Mellie is the “Trojan Horse” in which they plan to enter the White House, and when Mellie showed even the slightest objection, the whack-job with the pony tail did a literal whack job on Elizabeth North’s head. With a golf club. (For those of you keeping score at home, we’ve now watched enough Scandal characters get bludgeoned to death by household items that we could probably rank them.)

Olivia refused to give her father up to the FBI as Frankie’s killer, knowing that if he was sent to jail, the Shadowy Organization™ would see him as a threat and likely put him in the ground. (Perhaps next to Sandra, if he’s lucky.) But with Olivia also under investigation, the lack of an additional suspect would almost certainly ensure her imprisonment, which Fitz couldn’t handle. So he screwed over the Director of the FBI — because Fitz always treats his lovers with respect — and reassigned the case.

So here’s where we left things: Mellie is president, Liz is dead, Rowan is secretly being kept in Fitz’s custody, and Fitz and Olivia are back in the saddle. Speaking of which, I’m really curious to hear your thoughts on the long-awaited Olivia/Fitz reunion, as well as this week’s other major developments. Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Peter Allan Ker says:

Amazing Episode!

Congratulations Senator Melody “Mellie” Grant (R-VA) on becoming President-Elect of the United States of America!

2. Denise says:

Happy Mellie became President.

Can’t wait until next week when they figure out how to take down that evil couple. All of them working together, it will be a crazy episode.

I think Mellie will make Cyrus her VP.

3. N!loofar says:

🤢🤢🤢

4. Claire says:

Is it just me or was that a chemistry test between Mellie and Jake?

5. Lenny says:

Scandal at its best! Best ep of the season and probably since Season 2

6. Theo says:

I’m happy for Mellie but Shonda is not one for happy endings…there’s def a twist coming with Olitz .

7. AJ says:

Another great Scandal episode. Since 608, the show has been wonderful to watch. I knew someone was going to die and Lizzie did cross my mind after seeing her after being missing for so many episodes. Bye Lizzie Bear.
    Wow, Fitz saves the day and Olivia with all of her emotions kisses him and rekindles their relationship. I saw this one coming a mile away. I hope they stay together this time.

8. Stacy Zallis says:

Please Shondra don’t tease me again! I watch for Olitz! Their chemistry keeps me coming back!

9. brad says:

With All The Alphas Trying To Take Down Peus The Rest Of The Season It Wont Turn Out Very Well I Can Promise You That

10. brad says:

Can’t Wait For The Last 8 Episodes One Main Character Will Either Be Killed Or Commit Sucide

11. Caroline says:

Andy, you are bumming me out! You are obviously not an #Olitz lover. However, I am – and I loooooved this episode. I feel like Scandal is much more like it used to be this season – and this episode really brought it.

12. Brian says:

Good episode, but wish there was some way for Cyrus could at least get VP. Mellie with Jake would be boring and generic, but her and Cyrus together could be TV gold. And never really got into Liz’s character so I could careless about her death. As for Olivia and Fitz’s reunion, it really was in inevitable, so don’t get how anyone didn’t already expect them to reunite. Some can hate on them, but if you notice they do at least generate good episodes when they are together, while never do you get good episodes when Olivia is with Jake.

13. Julia says:

I cannot be the only person who cringes whenever Zoe Perry speaks? Her voice could be used as a torture device.

• JG says:

Wow I thought I was the only one who feels that way too! No disrespect to the actress but I can’t stand her voice!

• Her voice is pretty much exactly like her mother’s voice. Do you find Laurie Metcalf’s voice a torture device too? Just curious.

• Jay Hawkins says:

You aren’t the only one. She’s torture (both vocal tone and the character – the actress is fine). Nails on the chalkboard. And the pixie assassain voice was annoying as well – the scene with the two together was Huck/Quinn level torture to me!

• Julia says:

Yeah, I find Laurie Metcalf’s voice unbearable too. It literally gives me a headache. Not quite sure what it is, the pitch maybe? But yeah, I have a hard time watching her too because of the voice. Which is a bummer because she is a good actress. Although I will less it bothers me less on Laurie, not sure why, maybe it’s because the voice fits her better?

• yay says:

When I first heard her voice I was like damn she sounds just like her mom which I think is pretty cool.

• Bree says:

I change the channel. Too much annoyance in the space of 38 mins.

• Viv says:

LOVE her cold, light New England squawk! She’s like a human Terminator. She’s a whimsical, stone-cold psycho — hilarious and terrifying. That last shot of her petting a terrified David?! LOL! Awesome… Great episode.

14. Gospino says:

Fitz and Olivia are a horrible couple. Wish he’d died instead.

• Bree says:

I think by the end of the season Fitz, Cyrus, Jake or Rowan will be dead. Btw… didn’t Olivia want her dad dead more than once? Now he’s killed the President-Elect and suddenly she’s willing to go to jail in his place? If Fitz or Jake get axed, I’m out! Won’t be too happy if it happens to Cyrus, either.

15. S. Honda says:

I’ve been very bummed since Fitz and Olivia fizzled and continue to watch hoping I’ll be thrown morsel of their old flame. Hated the FBI woman he replaced her with. So this episode brought me back to the reason I started watching Scandal to begin with. Thank you Shonda.

16. Jess says:

Ugh, just kill Rowan already! He was a great season 3 villain but been there done that! There is no redeeming him so please PUT HIM IN THE GROUND! Or at least put him in a dark pit til the final season when he can come out and then be PUT IN THE GROUND!

17. Janice says:

Wow. This is my first time reading comments or adding mine. s week’s episode of Scandal was amazing. So much happened. I felt this much excitement and anticipation watching Scandal in a while!! I think I actually felt my blood pressure go up at least 10 points!!! Can’t hardly wait til next Thursday!!

18. Fan says:

Olitz? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (Gonna be interesting to see everyone working together to take Peus/Ruland down. Should be some funny, smart alecky comments to laugh at.)
    And seeing Huck in Olivia’s bed (and bed clothing)? Priceless! And Jake talking down Mellie …. he can be such a sweetheart/save-the-day-kinda guy. Sigh. Well the show’s good enuff that even my major dislike for Olitz wouldn’t stop me from watching….I do have a FF button you know.
    Looking forward to next week.

19. Don’t want Fitz and Pope together.

• Sharon says:

I hate the Olivia and Fitz relationship. Show was fine without them. It was by far the best show of the season, actually last 3 seasons. I think either Fitz or Mellie will die at season end. Where else can they go. Mellie as president???? Give me a break!

20. Neza says:

All I care about is that Mellie is the president. GO MELLIE

21. Can someone help me understand why those people need it to be Mellie running the White House? If they’re going to control her like a puppet by threatening to murder her and her family and whatnot, couldn’t they try to control Cyrus in the same way? Now that I’m typing that out, I’m remembering that Cyrus had his own husband killed earlier in the series, so maybe he’s to evil for them to manipulate.

22. Adrienne says:

I’m happy that Fitz and Olivia are back in the saddle! Any storyline that has them together in any capacity is fine with me. I know eventually that evil pony tail girl and her crew will be defeated. Great show!

23. T says:

I don’t like Fitz but have realized since early on he is the end game for Olivia so I just shrug at them getting back to together. It just felt icky to me that they decide to get it on during this particular moment in time but whatever floats their boat I guess. I can’t figure out why Jake, Huck, Quinn and Charlie don’t just off these evil two. I assume there is more depth in this organization that prevents that but they sure haven’t shown it.

24. Sherri says:

Amazing episode but I have always wanted her with Jake and still do!

25. Luis Roman says:

Can I get some of Shonda’s peyote?

26. Caitlin says:

Lmaoooo @ the oozy sarcasm with Fitz treating his ladies with respect. Spot on. Not too bothered by the Olitz happening again only because I’ve cone to terms with her and Jake never happening again. He’s too good for her anyway. Just don’t try to make Jake and Mellie a thing, please.

27. Renee says:

This was by far the best episode of the season! The twists and turns were amazing. Team Olitz all the way, you can’t deny their chemistry. Looking forward to seeing how they take down the Peus Organization. How about Quinn fussing over Huck? Is Charlie gonna get his heart broken?

28. Elisa says:

my guess that Hollis Doyles is behind the shadowy org (TM)

29. Julian says:

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop with Lizzie; terrible a person as she was, I believed that even she had limits and those limits would include just how merciless and murderous the current Big Bads are. IIRC she had a daughter, right? But then the woman started hefting the golf club and I started dreading what was coming. There’s still room to show she was just as under the thumb as every other character has been at some point this season, but I don’t know they’ll bother.

Don’t give a crap about Olitz, but I’m not actively against it this time around if they don’t make a big deal about it.

Also didn’t at all feel bad for Cyrus – he didn’t murder Frankie, but he did get people murdered so Frankie could be a viable candidate – and I bet Frankie’s widow would have been much less likely to give that interview if she’d known just how Cyrus had put her husband’s life in danger. And that’s just the most *recent* murder he’s had a hand in. So I hated Olivia’s attempts to claim a moral high ground in her support of him … but really, she’s always done that, it only becomes unbearable when both the show and other characters let her win.

Like with Fitz and Rowan. Fitz, the man had your son murdered. You own him less than nothing. If you kept him alive just so he can stay afraid, my respect for you will increase dramatically. Also, one of the whole points of at least one of the seasons was removing Rowan’s B613 apparatus from him, with the exception of a) his own skills and b) Jake. I hope they keep a tight lid on what he can access now that he’s fighting on everyone’s side for once.

Scandal is very good at sweeping things under the rug that call into question, if not outright invalidate, the decisions and positions of the characters onscreen. I’m hoping they do better with the end of the season – but then, I’m always hoping they do better with their very complicated history than they usually do.

30. Cherish says:

When I heard that Fitz and Olivia reunited at the end of season 6 episode 11, I was so happy!!! After they broke up in the middle of season 5 I wasn’t sure if they would ever get back together, and since she aborted their child, it kind of made things worse. So glad they were able to work things out after so long!!!

31. I was super super excited when I read everything above I legit shat my pants in joy.
    RIP to my pants!!!!
    #Fitz&Olivia4Life

32. Stacey says:

Are Pope and Associates ever going to take and solve cases again??

33. David Graf says:

I appreciate very much the summaries of the episodes provided by tvline. Thanks!

34. Brad says:

FITZ/LIV = YAWN!!!!

35. Pocket says:

With Fitz and Olivia together again and it seemingly goes well? I’d sign Fitz up to the chopping block.

36. Alex says:

the best episodes were the ones with jake and olivia, they together are the salt and pepper of the show. After season 5 I thought they’d be together. I only watch the show for them :(

37. Theo says:

Not Olitz again!!!!!! They’re done move on

38. Anitra sibert says:

Who are the current bad guys supposed to represent? Are they another layer of b613 or russians? Feel like I missed some important detail….