Girls Finale

Girls Finale Recap: So, Did Hannah Finally Grow Up? Grade the Episode!

Warning: This post contains spoilers from the series finale of Girls.

It took until the series finale, but Hannah Horvath finally put on her big Girls pants.

The HBO comedy’s final episode finds the a voice of her a generation already a new mother, thanks to a time jump of five months. Welcome to the world, Grover! As we saw at the end of the previous installment, she’s living in that little New York town and about to start teaching “Internet writing” or some ridiculousness at a college.

But the novelty of the new mom’s decision to strike out on her own has worn off, as we see in “Latching.”

What else happens in the episode? Glad you asked:

* We open on a shot of Marnie and Hannah spooning, just like in the series premiere. Why is Marnie there? She’s pulling an Adam and wants to help Hannah raise her baby. It’s a sweet offer and all, but “currently living in my mom’s home gym” is not a great reason to become a surrogate parent, Marn. Still, her “I love you the most” reasoning gets through to Hannah, who agrees.

* Marnie is, of course, a huge proponent of breastfeeding. “I was never breastfed, and I’m a dream and a ray of sunshine,” Hannah counters, saying that she’s not super into the whole “breast is best” thing. Then it turns into a fight over Marnie singing in the car, and later, as they argue over Hannah’s boob technique, it’s clear that the situation is not quite as Playing House as Marnie probably wants it to be. (Side note: Points for the show’s sly nod to Allison Williams’ no-nudity clause — in reference to Marnie’s nipple, Hannah says, “I’ve known you for a long time, and I don’t think I’ve seen it.”

* After a meltdown (Hannah’s, not the baby’s), Marnie calls Hannah’s mom to come help, which irks the new mom. “I’m sorry we didn’t make any jam. I’m sorry you didn’t meet, like, a hot woodworker,” Hannah shoots back. And Loreen’s not much comfort. When Hannah complains about how bad everything is, Loreen reassures her, “Things will get so much harder, you won’t even remember this part.”

* Loreen has little patience for her kid’s histrionics. When Hannah says Grover hates her, Grandma reminds her, “He’s a g-ddamn baby, and you are all he has.” Hannah doesn’t like that answer very much.

* Marnie has awkward role-playing FaceTime sex with Delvin P. from Weehawken. And then Loreen walks in on her, which is the only thing that could possibly make it worse. In a heart-to-heart after, Loreen asks why Marnie thinks that her happiness comes second to Hannah’s, then offers the cautionary tale of her long and ultimately unsuccessful marriage. They wind up smoking and drinking wine on the porch.

* While on a walkabout after storming out of the house, Hannah runs into crying, pantsless young woman who had an “emergency incident.” Absent the use of a cell phone, which the girl requests, Hannah gives the girls her mom jeans to wear. When the story comes out, the “emergency incident” is that the girl’s mother forbid her from seeing her boyfriend until she finished her homework. “OK, give me back my jeans,” Hannah says. (Heh.) And then Hannah lets loose a diatribe about motherhood in which she overidentifies with the selfish teen’s mother. “She’ll take care of you forever even if it means endless, endless pain!” she shouts as the girl runs away… still wearing Hannah’s pants.

* Hannah comes home to find her mom and best friend outside while Grover sleeps upstairs. “We gave him formula, and he liked it,” Marnie says. And when the baby starts crying, a newly resigned (?) Hannah goes to her son, picks him up and puts him to her chest — where he latches right away. “That’s good, Grover,” she says.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Grade the finale via the poll below, then log your thoughts in the comments.

1. AB says:

Eh. Last week should have been the finale.

• Dr. Mantis Toboggan says:

It was ok, not terrible, not great. Agree that last week’s episode would have worked better as the finale. I wonder what the movie will be about?

2. AJ says:

last week was a great finale and this was a nice little epilogue to the series. will miss it much.

3. Adam says:

Last week was a better finale. I felt like last week was the series finale of “Friends” and this was like watching “Joey” an unnecessary spin-off.

4. flutiefan says:

subpar as a series finale, for sure.

5. Greg says:

I am going to pretend last weeks ep was the finale… Hannah is just an awful person to everyone around her, yet we are supposed to be touched that she showed 30 seconds of maturity as the screen goes to black?

6. houx says:

Awesome finish, she threw a lot into liberal pro-abortion, multiculturalism, single mothers, Hillary supporters. Best 30 minute ad for exposing liberals claptrap. Conservatism and pro-life one again.
    Donald

• Amelia says:

Being pro-choice, does not mean you are pro-abortion for everyone. It means everyone has the right to choose what is best for them, not what YOU think is best. For this character, she CHOSE to give brith. It doesn’t mean Hannah is now pro-life.

• Tk says:

Bring pro-choice means you support people being legally able to kill babies.

• rowan77 says:

No, being pro-choice is not supporting infantcide. There is no way to legally, purposefully kill a baby. A fetus, however is not legally considered a baby, and therefore you can abort it if that is your choice. Learn the law so you don’t sound like such a nincompoop.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Slavery was “legal.” So what?

• rowan77 says:

It’s not now. It hasn’t been for over 150 years. And you are talking about sentient beings. Fetuses are not sentient and feel no pain until after the 25th week. So when you compare a black person to a fetus, you are belittling black people and the stain of slavery.

• A fan of TV says:

And then, when slavery was no longer legal, the south went to war with the north in order to keep their right to enslave. They lost. Consider yourself on the wrong side of history on this issue, too, E.D. Boddy, unless of course you can consider the issue of foster children in the U.S. being neglected by an underfunded system a non-issue. Those living breathing kids deserve nothing, am I right? Let’s force people who can’t afford it to have kids we won’t support for nothing, am I right? Best game plan ever for a healthy and productive society, yessir!

• Mel says:

Life begins at conception, science-denier.

I give the finale an F minus.

• rowan77 says:

Science denier? Not very bright are you? According to the law – which is what we are talking about here – a fetus does not have personhood until they are born. Again, learn the law before you speak.

• Victoria says:

I’m not arguing with you about this on television site because you have your opinion I have mine. Just saying that Hannah is not pro-life now just bc she did not personally have an abortion.

• DL says:

Thank you, Amelia. I’m a religious person who believes unborn children are indeed lives. But I also recognize reality. The U.S. Constitution does not permit legislation on religious grounds. I can’t control someone else’s body based on my beliefs. Furthermore, statistics prove that increasing women’s health care access actually means less abortions, prenatal deaths, and deaths of the mother. It’s one thing to make a moral argument, but it’s another when that stance results in the literal ending of human lives that you supposedly care about. I’d like to live in a world where abortions are unnecessary. That will only happen through increased access to women’s health care, counseling, and child care. There’s tons of proof of that, and ignoring it simply because of ideology is a poor excuse.

• Amelia says:

Thank you DL, that was well thought, researched and wonderfully said.

• E. D. Boddy says:

No, the Constitution does NOT prohibit legislation rooted in religion, otherwise laws against murder and robbery would be unconstitutional. It prohibits establishing a federal church, not requiring that we do the exact opposite of what a religion says.

• Secret Garden says:

Mindless spew from typical ding-dong authoritarian Nazi.

7. Mike says:

Brilliant show. Worst episode of any show ever. The week before should have been the finale. Leaving the camera to pan inside the engagement party, for Shoshanna of all people! Looking in and back at the girls, we have co me to know and love. Most original show on HBO. Avoid the last episode at ALL cost. Epic FAIL. Dissolve, fade to black. End of story.

8. Jules says:

Meh…

9. Amelia says:

While last week’s episode seems like a much better series finale, I am still glad to have seen baby Grover.

10. Beth says:

Profoundly disappointed with this episode. I was hoping and expecting so much more, especially more personal growth from Hannah. For most of the episode she was a throwback to her old immature and self-involved self, and just when I was loving season 6 Hannah…Also, as of a few weeks earlier Marnie was avoiding Hannah’s phone calls and now all of a sudden she is moving to upstate NY to help raise her baby? This simply makes no sense. I loved Loreen in the episode but her words of wisdom fell flat on Hannah; Are we supposed to believe that after a quick walk around the block Hannah has transformed from bratty child to mature, responsible mother as displayed by her outburst at a teenage girl? I don’t buy it. I am so sad that this is how it all ends…No Adam either :(

11. Jim says:

That’s it? That was terrible. I’m just going to pretend last week’s excellent episode was the finale. Felt like it. And Marnie deserved a little more direction and closure.

12. Lisa says:

6 years and this is what we get? The entire season seemed rushed and disappointing. I didn’t like last week’s episode and this finale… ugh. I’m actually relieved the series is over because this 6th season was so poor I would have not wanted to see a 7th .

13. Jim says:

When all is said and done, I honestly expect this to become a perennial fixture on “worst series finale” lists. Just awful. Awful.

14. Big Cheddar says:

Sooo….. does this replace HIMYM as the worst series finale ever?

• Victoria says:

Personally, I would say no. The HIMYM finale ruined the entire show. We spent years waiting for him to meet the mother. We spent a whole season watching Robin and Barney’s wedding weekend. In the finale, they divorced, the mother died then Ted and Robin got back together. Sure it had been years but only moments on the screen and it made it seem like the show should’ve been called How I Met Your Stepmother. This was just a poor finale.

• Cas says:

Yeah but if you honestly believed it wasn’t going to come down to Robin and Ted you were watching a different show.

• Patrick says:

The writers continuously hammered home that Barney was incapable of a long term romantic relationship, and that Robin was damaged by her father’s treatment of Robin during her childhood. People chose to ignore what were numerous glaring red flags.

• ravynrobyn says:

YAAAASSSSSS 🙌

15. annna says:

Poor Grover. What chance do you have with Hannah as a mother? Depressing end to the series.

• Patrick says:

With a mom like Hannah, his “rebellion” would probably come in the form of him being a chemical engineer that hates reading fiction.

16. Awful! Agreed with with most of the comments below. It should’ve ended last week, and that episode was mediocre at best. The beginning of the season started off with showing Hannah becoming somewhat responsible then it ended like this. Not to mention where was Shoshanna most of the season and why again do we have to concentrate on Marnie again? We get it she has problems. WTF? If anything thanks for ending it. I couldn’t go through another season of Girls. Liked it at first, but now it just seems to be the same thing over and over, and then to end it like this? Really? This will go down as one of the worst season finale ever.

17. Stacy says:

I didn’t get it. So sad. I felt like there should have been more to see!

18. Ken says:

Loved it. While last week felt lie finale of a tv show, this episode shows (unlike most others) life goes on. It is what it is. I know we watch tv to escape reality, but declining with truth is sometimes the best thing. I appreciate this show, and I’ll miss it, just as I miss a lot of friendships that came before.

• Ken says:

*like a finale lol

*accepting a truth

It’s late and I work in the morning. I hope everyone finds closure and sleeps well.

19. Dev says:

Agree with everyone. A huge diassointment. Loved the show as a whole but man, what an awful way to go out.

20. Like the Sopranos finale–“Was that IT–is that all there WAS?!” Baby was cute and all, but he was the only one who acted like his age: Hannah yelled at everyone, her mom yelled at Hannah and when the baby cried, he was doing it because he was supposed to. I wanted her a year in the future, I guess: kid has a steady crib situation in her office, teeming with students all eager to please & brimming with excitement as they listen to musings from their wise, grown-up teacher; no, wait—‘THAT’S NOT A THING!” Silly audience!!! D minus.

21. Girl's Fan says:

I was so ready to have every emotion possible because I’ve lived this show from the very 1st episode and all I felt at the end was 😒😴😶! However, I will miss every character! Last week was better!! Should’ve ended there!

22. Shelley says:

I liked it because it was different and unexpected. Sure you wanted more but that’s the point.

23. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Better epilogue than finale. Glad it’s over.

24. Victoria says:

I too, was disappointed in the finale but after thinking about it I’m trying to look at the positives. Someone mentioned Marnie avoiding Hannah’s calls but they only showed that on the day of Shosh’s engagement party and Marnie said that she only did it because she didn’t want Hannah to feel bad. I think it’s very within Marnie’s character to offer to move in and raise the baby and I’m sure no one was surprised at their relationship once Grover was born. Marnie was told earlier in the season she was selfish and I think she was trying to grow while also escaping her mom’s workout room and knowing she had nothing going on. I cut Hannah a little slack because she also admitted to being selfish and you have a baby and you have a million different hormones going on. She’s also seeing Marnie be a “better” Mom than her and she’s only a few weeks post-partum so wouldn’t be surprised if she had PPD. I love that her Mom talked to her straight and I think the scene with the teenage girl and then the last scene was her regaining her maturity and on the way to becoming a better mother. Still disappointed no other characters were in it but glad we got closure for them all in previous episodes. Not saying it was a great finale but just trying to offer some perspective to hopefully make it seem less like poor Grover doesn’t stand a chance in life!

25. Yoko says:

Liked seeing Hannah finally grow up. Millenials need to grow up. She has been so self absorbed that it took motherhood (and how hard it can be) for her to move into true adulthood and stop thinking only of herself. Marnie was a good friend and her Mom was right. Great ending.

26. Angela says:

I thought the finale served as a nice epilogue to the entire series, but I don’t think it showed that Hannah has matured all that much. Cooing at her little baby at the end as the screen went black was sweet, but it didn’t make up for the really mean and ugly things she said to Marnie and most of all to her own mother. I had hoped that when Hannah was yelling at homework girl about all the sacrifices homework girl’s mother made for her daughter, it might just dawn on Hannah all the sacrifices HER mother had made (including getting on a 5 a.m. plane at the drop of a hat). I wish that one line of dialogue had been inserted into the finale, some sort of acknowledgement or apology to Hannah’s mother. That would have illustrated some growth and maturity I just didn’t see in this character. It’s like in the finale, Hannah reverted to the way she behaved before season 6. I thought she actually had shown some growth BEFORE the final episode.