Prison Break Recap

Prison Break Recap: Top Gum

This piece of gum will set off a series of events that will finish on the other side of the world.”

Yes, Prison Break really, truly is back, never more so than when Michael Scofield/”Kaniel Outis” is utilizing a stick of Wrigley’s to eventually extricate himself from a squalid Yemen prison.

Whereas last week’s premiere got things off to a good enough start, I felt the storyline creaking a bit during Episode 2, specifically with regards to Lincoln’s quest to find the “sheik of light” mentioned in one of his brother’s always-cryptic notes. Muscling his way past a quartet of thugs in a garage is one thing; but the way that Lincoln very improbably 1) slipped out of the “sheik’s” home, past a street full of gunmen, 2) made it to the girls’ school window and hurried them out, 3) slipped into the terrorists’ 4) unmanned pickup truck and then 5) out-drove his pursuers, on a strange, rubble-filled road, while 6) eluding bullets from their roof-mounted automatic weapon…

That said, the entire mission into the ISIS-occupied suburbs allowed Inbar Lavi’s Sheba to shine a bit, keeping a stiff upper lip when negotiating with government checkpoint guards or dealing with an extremist ex.

Far more entertaining were the separate Michael and Sara stories. Back in New York, Sara paid a visit to the local Department of State office, where the director turned out to be no less than Paul Kellerman. (Kellerman!) When not (conspicuously?) chastising Sara for drinking from a plastic water bottle, Kellerman stood firm that the man she knows/knew as Michael Scofield now, in the eyes of history/the federal government, goes by Kaniel Outis, a known terrorist. And it would take a very rare sort of genius bird — such as Michael — to pull off such a change of identity. Later, after a disbelieving Sara storms off, Kellerman points her to video from four years ago, in which Michael emerges from a remote cabin to murder a CIA chief. Admittedly taken aback, Sara reads in hospitalized husband Jacob on the situation, and he suggests, via game theory, that a man such as Michael, whose calling card was manipulating people to do his bidding, may ultimately have succumbed to madness.

Inside Ogygia, meanwhile, Michael launched his escape, scurrying through an oddly accessible air shaft to get the roof, where he and conveniently American cell mate Whip awaited a light outage… that never came. With a clock now ticking — the worst of the prison’s worst, including ISIS bigwig Abu Ramal, are about to be released from solitary — the always resourceful Michael then set in motion Plan B, using a stick of gum from cell mate Sid to start a fire with which he boils water that he then soaks a rag in to make himself appear feverish. Once in the infirmary, the infamous “Kaniel Outis” is beat on by a guard, after which he is handed a pair of morphine pills.

Michael trades those to Korean cell mate Ja, who has been suffering from DTs, for a cell phone and credit card with which to “order a pizza.” (Very) soon after, his son Mike back home is delivered an origami flower, attached to which is a note that Sara reads, alerting her to get everyone safe because “a storm is coming.” Back in Yemen, Michael and Sid get a signal from the “sheik of light” that the plan is back on, just as the door to solitary springs open. Abu Ramal emerges, then makes a beeline for and embraces Kaniel Outis, who informs him that their escape is set for tomorrow night.

What did you think of Episode 2?

1. Jen says:

So about the water bottle…I’m thinking Kellerman wanted her fingerprints or DNA for something

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

So conspicuous, unless Paul Adelstein is ecologically mined and asked for it in the script.

• Yaseen says:

I think Kellerman is so well connected he could get her eggs without even coming into contact with her.

Fingerprints off a water bottle is so beneath him.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Why would he need her fingerprints, or even DNA. She’s not suspected of anything (yet).

• Gina says:

Did she pour her bottled water into the glass? Or did it have their water in it? If it’s their water, maybe it’s some sort of tracking device/liquid.

• Jen says:

One of Kellerman’s people poured the water from Sarah’s water bottle into a glass, and then walked off with her water bottle. She never drank from the glass, so if there was anything added to the water, or something already prepped in the glass that mixed with the water when it was poured in, she’d be unaffected.

• Yaseen says:

Good call.

I retract my initial comment :/

Turns out Paul isn’t that well connected anymore.

2. LolaHaze says:

So, Lincoln’s heroics didn’t throw me at all. Maybe I have a strong suspension of disbelief or maybe I have just seen too many Bruce Willis films. What did my head in was the DOS satellite in Ithaca?!? Still, I am loving this new season so far.

3. M says:

“… where he and conveniently American cell mate Whip awaited a light outage… ”

Whip’s line about how it would be easier if only he and Michael were escaping, like all the other times (paraphrasing), made it seem awfully like they are undercover operatives, partners. No convenience about it, seen that way.

As for Linc’s heroics… yeah, but it’s an action adventure. All Michael’s schemes are pretty improbable too; always have been. But it’s still fun.

4. Gospino says:

I just go with what happens instead of questioning. It’s that kind of show. Really enjoyed the episode, especially seeing Michael plot and scheme.

5. Gift says:

The fact the kellerman is involved means nothing good. Watching Micheal in action feels so good but what would push to be so friendly with that dangerous man Slaughter? Can wait for more.

6. I watched prison break season 1 and thought it was fantastic ( when it was on tv) i watch half of season 2 until the premise became so ridiculous i quit. Is it worth picking up this series or do i have to watch everything that has come before?

• Brandon says:

Watch everything until this point in time. Lots have happened from early time until now. The series has changed effortlessly and at this point, season 5 has been great for these last two episodes. If you have the time, I would definitely catch up from where you left off until season 5. You won’t be hanging and you’ll find the series that much better!

• I've Watched Too Much says:

Having watched it all bar season 4 (I just couldn’t go on numbing my brain with it), I would say you do not need to watch the first 4 seasons before watching S5. In ep2 of S5 there is a Sara/Kellerman moment and you may wish to check out the bath tub scene from the previous season just to get the air of the that scene otherwise watch away.

TBH I think this season is for die-hards and silly fandom youngsters. I’m watching but I’m not thrilled and there have been a few errors already and it is over heavy on the origami.

7. Wrstgirl says:

When Michael and Whip were on the roof waiting to see if the lights were going to go off Whip made a comment to Michael. something like “it was supposed to be two weeks Michael, it’s been four years. Poseidon left us here to die” Poseidon ties in to Greek mythology and the Odyssey story. I think that “murder” was set up by the Government as Michael was being forced to work for them using his friends and family as leverage. They changed his identity to Kantiel Outis and he was able to infiltrate ISIS. Somewhere something went wrong and he was abandoned and left for dead in that prison. That’s how he knows and is friendly with Ramal and continues to pretend to be Outis. His undercover I.D. remains somewhat in tact. Or maybe I’m just overthinking everything and I need to chill, lmao!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

This season is purposely based on The Odyssey, yes.

• Chris Coburn says:

Yes. The guy that Michael “Killed” isn’t really dead. At least not by Michael’s hands. He might still be dead, if he is/was Poseidon anyway. His {Michael} mission is to get Ramal out of the prison and into some secret Black Ops location. No clue as to why, however.

8. Doug Henning says:

It was weird in the beginning of the show they were using the Obama term ISIL ( when the rest of the world including the left-wing NY Times has used ISIS) and suddenly at the end used ISIS.. I actually enjoyed seeing Michael back in breakout mode..

• Jay says:

Both names are consider acceptable. ISIS *technically* changed their name to ISIL and most overseas news agencies switched to using that (or Daesh), while US news organizations stuck with the original name. Yemen isn’t even an area where ISIS has a strong presence. AQAP is the dominant terrorist group in Yemen, so I don’t think this show is paying super close attention to the details of the country, lol

9. Leesa says:

Michael and Lincoln are awesome! Michaels a genius and Lincoln is so manly . The show has been great since season 1 .Looking forward to all the other upcoming episodes. Sara and Michael belong together.

• Wrstlgirl says:

People were so mad when this series ended that after everything Michael and Sara went through they didn’t get their happy ever after. I have a feeling it will happen this time but someone else will die….my money is on Linc.

• Diane says:

I think T-Bag is gonna die.

• Wrstlgirl says:

That’s a good guess :-) Especially if he dies saving someone else. I just hope it’s not Sucre. That will be the worst for me I think.

• Gift says:

Why should the bad guy also have to turn good? T big is Alot of bad things and putting another person before himself that is never going to happen. I really hope Sucre don’t have to die or Sara, Lincoln, Micheal again. Why haven’t they said anything about linc ‘s son?

• wrstlgirl says:

Never said he had to turn good but it would make his death more meaningful. Just my opinion, we all have them.

• Gift says:

No need to get defensive, just making my own opinion.

• wrstlgirl says:

Not being defensive at all.

• Gift says:

Alright good then.

• Gift says:

Or perhaps they all make it out alive. I was mad that after everything Micheal still died. I don’t know why they end shows like that. Look at Merlin (after trying so hard to save the king the king still died) .

10. Sarah Teresa says:

The man that Michael killed in the video, was that John McEnroe?!

11. Dominique says:

i agree that this second episode was a little weak in comparsion to last week, but for me it was the transition from the michael from last week, to the one from this week. i felt like we missed a vital piece, they could’ve handled that better.
    clearly that director michael supposedly killed is still somewhere alive, right? hell, i wouldn’t be surprised at all if kellerman is in on it and that’s why he said those things to sara.
    speaking of kellerman.. good lord it was good to see him again, he has always been my favorite so i’m glad he made his return this episode!
    i’m still very excited and interested in everything to come this season, so lets see what else they’ve got in store.

12. RichieS says:

Love the show’s reincarnation but wherethehells Mahone? And please, if you are crediting Amaury Nolasco then use him!

13. Chris Coburn says:

Well, Linc didn’t actually do numbers 4 and 6. Number 4, the vehicle WASN’T abandoned. There was one guy sitting in the driver’s seat that Linc slammed his head into the horn and threw out of the vehicle. As for 6, the truck was hit at least once since a tail light was shot out.

14. Unseen Senpai says:

I really want to watch this live but i dont live in america :( who can help me about it, i wanna support this tv series.

15. Lennon says:

Really confused at the moment. Am sure the story will unfold shortly. I am glad they have kept the concept of breaking out of a prison