General Hospital Vet Peter Hansen, Played Lee Baldwin, Dead at 95

Peter Hansen, who for decades played General Hospital legal eagle Lee Baldwin, died on Sunday at age 95.

Prior to his esteemed GH run (where in 1965 he replaced Ross Elliott as the eventual adoptive father to Scott and husband of Gail), Hansen appeared on such series as The Lone Ranger, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, Sea Hunt and Gomer Pyle: USMC. His TV credits also include How the West Was Won, Coach, Golden Girls and the GH spinoff Port Charles.

For his work as GH‘s Lee, a recovering alcoholic and onetime Port Charles mayor, Hansen earned two Daytime Emmy nominations, taking home the prize for Outstanding Supporting Actor in 1979. He lasted appeared on the ABC sudser in 2004, for the funeral of beloved matriarch Lila Quartermaine.

Hansen is survived by a son and daughter, three grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

1. Jo Garret says:

Sad. Lee was a lovely character. 95 is a great age tho

2. Jules says:

Loved his character, back when GH had honest lawyers instead of all the mob shills. And Lee and Gail were great, too.

3. Caroline says:

Definitely loved that character and his family. The heyday of soaps for sure! Thanks for reporting his passing, Peter Hansen definitely deserved the recognition.

4. Chloe says:

Always enjoyed watching him on GH. His character was a decent, honest gentleman & he seemed to be the same. May he Rest in Peace.

5. jp says:

I always liked him and Gail – classy actors. that sure was a different time back then. RIP

6. P.M.Greiner says:

My condolences to his Family and his co-actors at this loss,

7. Fran says:

What a great loss. Rest In Peace. Condolences to the family.

8. Collette Sychantha says:

I miss & Loved Lee. Wish they would have a service on Gh give Scott closure, also put his picture on the hospital wall..With the rest of the greats. Lee was the father we all wished we could have. He help & touched many characters on the show. Laura, Claudia ,Brian, Scott, Monica,Tracy,Leslie ,Bobbie, Felicia,Robert ,Gail. I think Alexa.

9. Adele DiTommaso says:

I’m so sorry to hear of his passing. God Bless lived to a good age. I loved him on GH he was such a great man. May he RIP

10. Kenny McCollum says:

I saw you back in the 80s when Luke and Laura were on the run. I enjoyed watching you and Gail u too were so in love. We will miss you. Rest in peace.

11. KIM HENDERSON says:

I’m watching gh, now the story line about Lee Baldwin passing so I Google his name I was already thinking he passed in real life this bring back memories me as a child watching soap operas with my mom after school since we only had one TV most of my friends do not even watch soap operas anymore except one I was just speaking to my son the other day talking about soap operas he said Mama I know you would never sell watching I sure won’t and I’m 53 years old been watching since I was 9 years old.

12. KIM HENDERSON says:

I’m watching gh, now the story line about Lee Baldwin passing so I Google his name I was already thinking he passed in real life this bring back memories me as a child watching soap operas with my mom after school since we only had one TV most of my friends do not even watch soap operas anymore except one I was just speaking to my son the other day talking about soap operas he said Mama I know you would never stop watching I sure won’t and I’m 53 years old been watching since I was 9 years old. R.I.P.