Gilmore Girls Rory Pregnant

Gilmore Girls' Alexis Bledel on Revival's Big Rory Twist: 'It Was Hard to Digest'

Alexis Bledel suffered a mild case of whiplash when she learned what those infamous final four words were.

At Sunday’s Emmy-themed Contenders event, presented by TVLine’s sister site Deadline, the actress shared for the first time her feelings about Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life‘s twisty climax, which revealed Rory to be pregnant.

“It certainly wasn’t the ending I expected,” Bledel admitted. “I had told [series creator] Amy [Sherman-Palladino] that I hoped Rory would end on a high note after all of her hard work. I wanted to see her succeed and be thriving. So it was a hard thing for me to digest.”

However, Bledel — who will next be seen in Hulu’s series adaptation of The Handmaid’s Tale (bowing April 26) — conceded that the bombshell was quintessential AS-P. “She knew what reaction she was going to get out of the audience. She’s delighted by throwing everyone a curveball. I knew that’s what she wanted and [so] I just trusted her.”

Bledel’s TV mom, Lauren Graham, had an easier time wrapping her head around the baby reveal. “I thought it was perfect, in terms of bringing the characters full circle… It took me a minute, but, ultimately I loved it.”

Of course, as Graham acknowledged, the surprise sent the franchise out on an unresolved note. “That wasn’t an ending,” she remarked with a chuckle. “That was a cliffhanger.”

1. dude says:

I know a lot of people dont want that to be the ending because not having the closure of everything wrapped up in a bow feels unsatisfying but I don’t feel like we need to see Rory being a single mother like Lorelei. I thought that the final four words were a fitting end to the series and any future episodes wouldn’t be what Gilmore Girls was at its core so I’m fine with saying goodbye to it.

2. Pedro says:

I have zero problems with the pregnancy. I was just shocked as to how privileged and shocked had become. She treated her boyfriend horribly instead of simply breaking up and was having an affair with an engaged man while never failing to drag Jess along. I wish she would at least own it, as many flawed characters deliciously do. But, no, she stayed put on her high horse.

• Michael Scarn says:

Right? In my opinion the backlash was more about what a terrible person Rory became. Now I enjoy anti-heroines and flawed characters more than anyone but my hunch is that she wasn’t supposed to be perceived that way. We’re supposed to keep rooting for her, symphathize with her.m, but I simply couldn’t. She was just awful and none of her behaviour was excusable. She didn’t face any severe consequences for that behaviour, which just didn’t bode well.

• Pedro says:

I had no problems if she were a Desperate Housewives season 1 Gabrielle Solis, but fort her to try to look like this highly moral perfect porcelain doll while having this terrible, selfish behaviour was just awful. She couldn’t even try to bring herself to be friends with nice people her age and in the same predicament that were being friendly to her. No, she needed the Rich Privilege gang to give her a night of debacle. But the character doesn’t seem to own it. You can’t portray yourself as Melanie Hamilton‍, but behave like Scarlett O’Hara. You end up neither endearing, nor fun.

• SUSO says:

Uh… unplanned pregnancy is a pretty severe consequence, no?

• Pedro says:

Is it? Rory is 32, rich, has a trust fund that kicked in when she turned 25, a wealthy grandmother, a mother that owns two inns, and an incredible support system where the whole town bends backwards to tend to her every need.

• Stacy says:

LOL. The town sign should read, “Stars Hollow: Home of Rory Gilmore”.

• skyebright8 says:

Agree, Logan and her parents will still support Rory, and she’s 32 not 21, she has the money and emotional suppprt to raise a child

• Jec says:

Severe consequence from other people she’s hurt. Why don’t we see people telling her off for being such a brat? For treating her boyfriend so badly, for willingly partaking in adultery without any remorse? For berating people her age because they didn’t go to prep schools or had bucket loads of money like her? Where’s that consequence?

• alphanumeric says:

That’s precisely WHY the cliffhanger bugs me. It’s really not that severe of a consequence. She’s a full blown adult, with a trust fund and expensive education. She would have plenty of support, but I’m sure she’d cry about it all the way. And of course Palladino hinted that she might not even keep it for some reason, even though that would defeat the purpose of her conversation with Christopher.

• I kind of hope she wouldn’t keep it. It wouldn’t defeat the purpose of her conversation with Christopher – they could just argue she was weighing her options.

• Baabygirl says:

How was she dragging Jess along? She.seemed to be friends with him and there was no implication on her part of feelings for Jess during the revival. The look at the end showed Jess may have feelings for her but not the other way around.

• Pedro says:

Oh, look, you answered your own question. She keeps dragging Jess along, knowing he has carried a torch for her all her life, but it is inconvenient for her to cut him lose instead of handily have him sweep in whenever she needs him. Very common user behaviour.

• Baabygirl says:

How can she be stringing him along if she has given no indication she sees him as more than a friend? According to the revival they had not seen each other in years and briefly saw each other twice during the show? That is not using him. it is not using him, it’s being friends. I still don’t see how she is stringing him along.

• Pedro says:

Clearly you don’t understand what leading someone one is.

• Rob says:

No Pedro, leading someone on is when you tell them you are into them or drop hints that that you could be into them when you have no intention of being with them. Rory sees Jess as a friend, someone who she cares about, but has given no indication she sees him romantically. He has feelings for her but she sees him as a friend. That is in no way leading him on. You are coming off as one of those “nice guys” who expect girls to date you because you’re friends with them. Check your misogyny at the door please.

• Pedro says:

Rob, you described exactly what Rory does. She’s well aware Jess carries a torch for her and always had and if she cared about him at all she’d stay away and cut him lose. But, no. On several occasions she draws him in, when she needs it, when it’s convenient, regardless if that will re-start the circle, to take advantage of him.

• Pedro says:

Rob, by the way, I’m gay. Don’t just assume everyone is straight. I would tell you to check your homophobia and heteronormativity at the door, but, since I don’t want to follow your example and make wild and hurtful assumptions about real people when we are discussing fictional characters,, I will just tell you that not everyone is into girls or expect anything romantic from them just because they are men. Live and learn.

• Kevan says:

Yeah, while I agree with a lot of Pedro says in this comment section, I don’t think Rory is leading Jess on, and I’m usually the first person to call women out when they do that stuff. I do believe that there’s some subtle manipulation going on to make sure Jess feels sorry for her predicament, but Rory isn’t leading him on.

• Haddy says:

I don’t think Rory was stringing Jess along per say, but I think she’s well aware that Jess doesn’t see her as purely a friend. Back at season 6

• Haddy says:

Oof I wrote this long-arse reply and it was cut short. My point was, Rory and Jess’s relationship was never purely friendly and they never seemed to talk about it or resolve it to make it so (both of them just love to avoid discussing things…), it moved from romance to anger to pleading to friendship to disappointment without ever sitting down and working things out (we didn’t see it, therefore, it didn’t happen…)
            So Rory’s not really dragging Jess along but she must have some clue about him seeing her as more than a friend. Look back at season 6 and see how she treated him when their relationship was seemingly calm and stable.

3. Aisha says:

I thought she was going to address how Rory had become an apparent trust fund brat without the morals she seemed to have previously (i.e. sleeping with an ENGAGED Logan)
    The pregnancy was whatever

• Pedro says:

What morals did she have before? She was always flirting with other men and even cheating while dating, breaking up a marriage and so forth.

• Jec says:

Worst part was that she didn’t suffer any long term consequences because of those actions. Everyone still enabled her behaviour and kept her on a pedestal. Which, no. She should’ve been told off atleast 20 times during the revival.

• Rob says:

I disagree, Lorelei kept her in check plenty of times and forced her to think about her actions. Their whole estrangement in season 6 was a result of Rory letting the Christopher in her run free. Unfortunately she became more and more like her dad (and mother’s parents in some ways) than she would like to admit to herself. Rory is flawed, she had a crappy year that was spun out after her loosing her grandfather. She is allowed to be flawed. And I will remind you that Lorelei and Rory again were briefly estranged between episodes Summer and Fall because of Rory’s selfishness. Lorelei has always kept her daughter in check. The whole Paul thing was supposed to be a joke that frankly wasn’t funny or necessary, but Rory is who she has always been, her flaws are just more pronounced now that she is an adult, however, if you watch the series as a whole, they were always there. Thankfully she does have some redeeming qualities, but to me, Rory has always been caught between her mother and her father in terms of personality, and unfortunately there are times, especially in grief or pain, where she lets herself spin out of control and be irresponsible, just like her dad. A Year in the Life was in many ways a study on grief and how it takes hold on people. Each Gilmore Girl expressed their grief differently in both good and bad ways. I think people miss the effect of the loss of Richard really had on all three women, not just Emily, and without that context, Rory may not make a whole lot of sense to them. All I can say to all of you who feel that way is that you should watch the series again, from the pilot to Fall, take a look at the series as a whole, and maybe you’ll see if differently.

• Pedro says:

Probably Paul didn’t find the joke his girlfriend had so little consideration for him, always forgetting him and cheating on him with a complete stranger and an engaged man too funny. I doubt Logan’s fiancee laughed much either. I have no qualms with Rory exercising her sexuality freely, but she could do that without betraying and hurting people in the process.

You’d think after the ordeals she put Dean through with first Jess and then with the part she took in the destruction of his marriage, that she would have learned the lesson. Or when Logan slept with other women when they were estranged and she thought it was extremely hurtful.

Christopher was hardly the monster you are painting and neither was Lorelai this saint. They both had flaws and virtues and Lorelai, for once, was extremely ungrateful to a number of people and quite entitled. But, also, she was very compassionate and hardworking. Christopher was irresponsible in many ways, but he was there for Sherry when she got pregnant and he was trying to be a good father for his second daughter. He was also very generous and affectionate.

Rory looked down on people who were close to her age and in a similar predicament, one of the several occasions where she acted like she was better than anyone else. Like when she wrote that article on Logan’s party in season seven, mocking ll these people while failing to realise she also lived a very expensive lifestyle, always with other people gladly footing the bill, even when she dropped out of college.

I don’t think that what rubs people the wrong way is that Rory has flaws. People love several flawed characters, several anti-heroes. I think the problem is that she never seems to own it and the show writes it as if she’s this perfect, outstanding person and completely sweeps her actions or any consequences under the rug.

I mean, either she owns it that she is kind of a jerk and unapologetic about it or the show has to stop pretending all her actions are fine and inconsequential.

• skyebright8 says:

I’m with Pedro, I don’t think hurting Paul and Odette is funny, and Christopher and Lorelei were usually both single when they got together

• Aisha says:

You’re right, I even forgot about the Dean thing (cos it made me so mad) so basically, they attempted to show her growth in the seventh season Amy in a Rory like manner ignores, and this show literally backpedalled her to her 18/9 year old self.
        I watched this in my early teens, 22 now, worried if I watch from the beginning again I’d actually just hate Rory full on instead of just in s4 and 6

4. Temperance says:

As much as I love the show, I thought that ‘the final four words’ were extremely obvious from the first mention of them. It’s called ‘the Gilmore Girls’ after all.

5. JHR says:

My issue with the four words is that I feel like they would’ve been so disappointing if they had come at the end of the original series. Rory would’ve never really explored her life beyond Stars Hollow.

While I thought the revival was pretty disappointing all around, I at least felt that it allowed the “last words” to be a little more palatable since Rory was able to explore her life a little more.

• Pedro says:

I was so glad the Palladinos did NOT handle season 7, because many characters actually grew up. Paris finally had her deserved success – before Rory always easily got absolutely everything Paris had worked out for. Logan became mature and called Rory out on her BS. We had a resolution on Lorelai and Christian and Luke and Lorelai also grew up – which the revival ignored.

6. Amy says:

I’ve come to accept the ending for the 32-ish Rory, but what bothers me is that those last 4 words were the original ending of the show for a 22-ish Rory right out of college. I can’t get over that and how out of character that would have been. It’s kind of ruined a show that I’ve loved since it premiered on TV and that I’ve shared with my own daughter.

7. Kevan says:

Let’s not kid ourselves — our sweet goody-goody Rory was gone the moment she slept with a married Dean in season 4. And then she was gone for good the moment she met Logan, who taught her that it was okay to be a selfish, entitled brat. Logan completely changed her, so Rory’s behavior in the revival didn’t surprise me at all, really. Even when she started to redeem herself in season 7, she was always better for him than he was for her. It’s not a stretch to imagine her as someone who thinks they are above others, frustrated that she is not given opportunities that she feels she deserves, and uncaring in how she treats her own “boyfriend” and her lover’s fiancee, when she is still in that sociopath’s orbit. The pregnancy is a reality-check for her. A “grounding” she sorely needs. So it was apt, and it didn’t surprise me in the least when it happened.

8. Desiree says:

It probably would’ve had stronger emotional impact if it had actually happened at the end of the original series run. After all, she had just graduated from college and had all these lofty goals and was about to embark on her adult life. Having her end up pregnant would’ve definitely been a crazy turn…then. But now? Eh…I’m sorry, but being a single mom at 32 years old is a far cry from what Lorelai went through as a 16-year old…So this ‘reveal’ wasn’t actually shocking to me, other than the fact that it felt like a gimmicky, cliffhanger kind of ending.

All that said, knowing that this was what she had planned for Rory in the original run made me glad that ASP wasn’t involved in season 7, which I know is a sacreligious statement for some people…oh well.
    For as many issues as there is in that season (mostly Christopher and Anna/April related) I thought the last episode was wonderful and ended just the way it should have.

9. Lauren says:

I hated the ending. Maybe 10+ years ago in Rory’s life it would have made sense, but at her age, with all the time that passed, it didn’t make sense. Her character un-grew.

• TV viewer says:

I thought it was realistic: accidents do happen to 30 something women too. It’s not like you are off the hook just because you aren’t a teenager anymore. Whether or no not she feels entitled to it, Rory’s success isn’t a given. Why would a husband or a nuclear family be any different?

10. MLO says:

Having Rory become pregnant under her current circumstances makes her so… common. Was hoping for more for her character. All her hard work has led her nowhere.

11. Mary says:

If that had been the ending for the original season, I think it would have been perfect. Like Graham said full circle. I wasn’t bother by it, but I don’t think it really fit in the later years. Oh well I still enjoyed it.

12. Cas says:

Idk why it was so important for it to all come “full circle”? I didn’t repeat my moms mistakes. Or my dads for that matter. They completely ruined her character and Logans. The Logan we saw was the Logan from season 5 not season 7. Actually Rory did kind of suck throughout the series now that I think about it.

• True but I never thought Logan had changed THAT much. Even in season seven, their relationship was nearly all on his terms. I don’t care about Logan – reguardless of the how, I always expected Logan to go back and work with his father and sleep around again at some point – Rory changed nothing about him, he changed her and it drove me crazy. I truly hated Rory and Logan together, they weren’t fun or cute and the actors had very limited chemistry, if any. I loved Rory from the early seasons and the Rory from season 5 to the revival makes me angry.

13. Chkkl says:

Um yeah not an ending. A cliffhanger??? I mean what?!! I am a REAAAAALLY big fan and I would love pt know all of the details. Also, I would have liked to see Rory end on a high note as well, maybe the New York Times could have offered her a job?

14. Lexi says:

I’m just glad Dean got a happy ending with a new wife and family. Jess can have Rory or that Chewbacca for all i care, by end of it she was nothing but a selfish Ho. At least others grew up and moved on with their lives.