Exclusive
Mark Consuelos Night Shift

Pitch's Mark Consuelos Checks Into Night Shift for Major Season 4 Role

As the fate of Pitch hangs in the balance, co-star Mark Consuelos is keeping busy during the Fox drama’s off season. TVLine has learned exclusively that Consuelos is joining NBC’s The Night Shift in a major Season 4 recurring role.

His character, Cain, is described as a highly confident and aggressive travel nurse who emigrated to the U.S. from Mexico.

An insider maintains that Pitch fans should not view Consuelos’ casting as a bad omen for Fox’s in-limbo sports sudser. The Night Shift is expected to finish production on its fourth season before any potential second season of Pitch would even start filming.

Back in January, Fox Chairman Gary Newman said this of Pitch‘s renewal prospects: We were very proud of Pitch. We would’ve loved to have seen a bigger audience. [It] had a loyal core. I don’t think the performance level enabled us to make an early decision about it, but as we get to May, we’re certainly going to consider it.”

1. cruisemama98 says:

As a retired RN I am offended that someone who was a doctor in another country comes to the US and, because he can’t practice as an MD, he is allowed to act as a nurse. Nursing is a totally different profession from medicine and requires its own educational basis.

• Temperance says:

Your not allowed in the real world – as you note, it requires it’s own classes and certification. It’s TV.

• Zoe says:

Actually this happens in the real world. The article states that he starts over as a Resident which happens all of the time to Doctors coming in from overseas.
        I hope Mark will make appearances on Queen of the South.

• Gospino says:

The article is confusing because it says that Cain is a travel nurse. Then it says it that he’s a qualified doctor in another country but must start over as a resident in the US. I doubt that a medical series would make as big an error as pretending that a person with no nursing background can act as a nurse in a reputable medical facility here. Maybe the article is wrong, or possibly Cain is a qualified nurse, which is possible.

2. TV Gord says:

I’ve been a fan of Hayley and Mateo Santos since each of their ‘day one’s, so I’m really happy to see him land in the Night Shift, a show that I really enjoy.

Having said that, I understand cruisemama98’s concern that they may portray his role as a doctor who becomes a nurse because he doesn’t have the qualifications to be an American doctor. However, from what I read in this story, he doesn’t become a nurse. He starts over as a resident, so i don’t perceive any disrespect to the nursing profession. I hold nurses in the highest regard, so it would bother me, too. However, the story clearly says he doesn’t start over as a nurse. He starts over as a resident.

• Al says:

Strange that the first line of the description calks Cain a “travel nurse” but then later says starting over as a resident? Umm so which is it NBC? Lol

• jp says:

Boy I have not heard those two names in years! Wish we could still see some of those folks on our screens! I love him but soured a bit on his wife. Night Shift seems to keep attracting some great people…looking forward to the new season.

• TV Gord says:

:-) I read that a lot about Kelly. I would suggest trying her show again. She’s a lot looser than she used to be and is often really funny! However, I understand why people are turned off by her. I’m just not one of them. :-)

3. Netty says:

They tell us not to worry BUT I am worried for Pitch!

4. SHARON JACKSON says:

Love seeing Mark in anything..Keep him employed!!!

5. NP20 says:

Pitch has to come back!!! It was the best new show this year.

6. Piers says:

I’ve always wondered why he never had his nose fixed. It keeps him just shy of killer looks.

7. grace matthews says:

Mark ur a special actor in whatever role u play. Good luck in your new venture y que te bendiga Dios. (God Bless you..)