Girls Recap Season 6 Episode 8 Adam Hannah

Girls Recap: Isn't It Pretty to Think So?

For a moment there in this week’s Girls, it’s easy to think we’re in another one of those “Hannah’s ideal day” episodes. And that thought chills me so deeply, given what’s happening on screen, I have a fleeting desire to snatch Laird’s knit cap from his misguided head and plop it on my own.

Because when Adam breaks up with Jessa in the episode’s first moments, then hightails it to Hannah to announce that he wants to raise the baby with her, it’s the answer to all of Ms. Horvath’s current problems rolled into one emotionally erratic (albeit impressively chiseled) package.

It’s also an astoundingly horrible idea. Read on as we revisit how it plays out in “What Will We Do This Time About Adam?”

‘I’M TOO PRETTY TO GO TO A COOLING CENTER’ | We open on Adam giving Jessa the news that he’s going to tell Hannah he wants to co-parent the mini surf instructor growing in her uterus. “You gotta do what you gotta do,” she says, not giving him the giant reaction he expected (and, I’d bet, kinda wants).

Meanwhile, upstairs, Hannah and Elijah are both wearing only underwear and sweating profusely because their air conditioner is on the fritz. When she complains that she doesn’t feel well, he replies, “Well, honey, of course you don’t feel good. It’s 127 degrees in here and we are poor, you have a parasite growing inside you, and we’re both going to die of heatstroke at any minute.” (Heh.) “I’m starting to feel like I was a little naïve [thinking] that all of this was going to be so simple,” she laments.

WELL, AS LONG AS YOU’RE TAKING IT SLOW… | The heat drives Hannah to stock up on frozen novelties at her local bodega, which is where Adam finds her. She’s not happy to see him and doesn’t want to go back to her place with him, so he makes his pitch right there: “I want to raise your child with you. I miss you. And I miss being with you. And I thought I could move on, but hearing about the baby made me realize we don’t have anymore time to waste.”

She’s understandably confused, so they go back to her apartment to process, weigh their options and have an adult conversation about… JK JK JK they have sex.

JILTED JESSA | Despite her cool façade earlier, Jessa is not really OK with the idea that her man just decided to leave her. She tries to order premium cable (“elite channels,” she calls them while she’s talking to the cable operator) but has to pause during the call to vomit. (Side note: Because I watch far too much television, I automatically think she is pregnant, herself. We get no indication of that elsewhere in the episode, so perhaps she is just very upset. But I can’t have been the only person to read that into her puking, right?)

Jessa also swings by Laird’s, her downward spiral doing the double duty of neatly informing him about the breakup and Hannah’s impending motherhood. So while Adam is talking to Hannah’s belly (which would be cute if it were not an abomination), the downstairs neighbor pays them a call and volunteers to raise the baby, saying doing so is his purpose. Oy. Also? Still a better choice than Adam.

Girls Recap Season 6 Episode 8 Hannah Adam SexA NEW DAY FOR RAY | Let’s take a break from this insanity to check in with Shoshanna and Ray, who’ve just run into her old boss, Abigail, on the street in Brooklyn. “She’s a lot,” Shosh warns him — which is amazing, because Shosh — but crotchety old Ray and Claire’s Accessories personified Abigail hit it off really well. (Zosia Mamet wins this week’s episode with the scene where she just watches them with growing levels of incredulity at brunch.)

At some point, the pair drop Shosh. And after a day of walking around Brooklyn and interviewing people for Ray’s continuation of Hermie’s project, they kiss on the carousel at the waterfront. Um, sure?

IN WHICH SENSE (FINALLY) REIGNS | While Jessa continues to unravel, Adam and Hannah continue to talk as though they are a long-established pair happily awaiting their kid’s birth. But there are signs — like Hannah’s zoning out while they’re buying some baby stuff — that she’s having THOUGHTS. So by the time that they’re sitting at a diner and he casually mentions how they should get married in order to get artists’ housing, she can’t stop herself from crying. (Kudos to Lena Dunham and Adam Driver for this scene, in which her big NO to the whole venture and his reception of it is communicated without a single word.) Also, THANK GOD.

So they part ways, and Adam goes back home to Jessa, who greets him with a knowing smile.

1. SaraPo629 says:

Great episode and great recap! I am loving this season, however the lacking of Ray and Shosh in most episodes bums me out a little, so i was happy to see them this week. The storyline with Ray and Abigail seemed to not fit at all for some reason, i don’t know what it was. I am so sad this show is ending as i’m finally finding Hannah tolerable. Not ready for it to end :(

2. Laurna says:

I definitely thought Jessa was pregnant and was waiting for confirmation. We could find out in the next two episodes. Great episode in a great season.

3. april-ann says:

1. No, that was not the “only indication” of that in the episode. Jessa didn’t order a drink at the bar. She ordered a “seltzer” and put her cigarette out in it. 2. “At some point the pair drop Shosh” – I’m better with at some point SHE drops THEM.

4. Molly Jeane says:

I did not get that Hannah was saying no to Adam’s “proposal” at all!! I thought she was so touched in their dysfunctional way they were realizing how in love they were. Had to watch the after the episode stuff to get that. So sad. I love Hannah an Adam together and really started to dislike Jessa this season. 😢

• That’s exactly what I thought! I thiught they were tears of joy! And I thought he was just going home again to inform jessa…I have to admit I was happy when I thought theyd be back togethor

• cookiepots says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that didn’t “get” the tears. I also thought Hannah was crying over the sheer joy of how it was all fitting together. Good thing I watched the aftershow and had it explained to me….

• Sue says:

I too did not understand the tears and watched the interview after the show. But my question, did Jessa have sex with the stranger or stop him before they did? That was disturbing. And please don’t have Jessa pres 😳

5. Caitlin says:

I figured Hannah and Adam wouldn’t end up back together. Adams epiphany way way too sudden. This sucks.

6. Jim says:

You forgot the best part of the episode, Jessa’s “Guiliani always let us.” I’m really going to miss the effortless cool of Jemima Kirke when this show is over. Hope she doesn’t stay off our television screens too long.

7. Adriana Raga says:

I’d like to know what the tears are for…? Joy, happiness, sadness, deception… I didn’t get it… 🤔 I was touched by this chapter. I remembered when I went back with my ex, it was perfect but at the same time I was affraid to lose him again for another girl… eventually I loose him again. That is why I’d like to Adam and Hanna stay together forever, because they love each other so much… (at least on screen)😍

8. Palesadot says:

I also didn’t get the NO until they went their separate ways. This will be the second time Hannah rejects Adam’s in-passing proposal. Either she doesn’t love Adam the way he loves her or she doesn’t believe in marriage so much that even if a guy she loves proposes, it isn’t enough… because she did nod her head when the proposal was simply moving in together…

I think there’s a conversation Adam and Hannah had in the past, where they discussed marriage and the lines were drawn, but Adam keeps trying to sway Hannah.

These next two episodes are gonna be interesting.

9. Judith Klos says:

Shosh has moved on and cudos to Ray for finally figuring out physical beauty isn’t everything. Their growing up. I’m going to miss these characters. They are the closest thing to real life that’s been shown on t.v. Thank you Lena for liberating the female image. Girls will be a classic in so many ways.

10. Sophia says:

I have so very little criticism of this series in its entireity that I’m surprised at how much I despised the story line of Adam wanting to raise Hannah’s baby with her. I think it was put in so Hannah could be the one to decide they wouldn’t be together, instead of the one who was left. It served no other purpous. I don’t believe Adam would have left Jessa after what they went through to be together in the first place. And even if Adam wasn’t seeing anyone, why on earth would he have an overwhelming desire to marry someone he’d already broken up with to raise some other man’s baby with her? I. Don’t. Think. So. Besides being unbelievable, it was unnecessary. Adam and Jessa were together, with Hannah’s perpituitous blessing. That’s it, that’s all the wrap-up those two characters needed. Otherwise loved the show, the series, and every character in it.

11. dsharr says:

I misinterpreted. I thought she was crying from happiness at how simple everything suddenly was.

12. Hannah Wright says:

it really hurt watching the last season… and i must say i was disappointed and upset that i personally didnt feel the ‘happy ever after’ i like in a juicy programme such as this. i was desperately hoping for hannah and adam to get back together, finally make it work and start their family.
    i totally got the tears in the cafe, and that scene was tremendous, i cried as i realised hannah was too upset to say thats not what she wanted. and adam knew her well enough to know what her face was telling him.

i have read a theory that hannah refused adam as a way of showing that women do not need men to have their ‘happily ever after’, as the last scene saw her smile contently as the baby finally breast fed.