Supergirl Recap

Supergirl Recap: The Parents' Trap

Monday’s Supergirl started off sappier than a stack of pancakes drenched in maple syrup — ironically the only dish missing from the lavish breakfast-in-bed Mon-El prepared for Kara.

But things took a grim turn when it was discovered that a sizable bounty had been placed on Kara’s head, and guess who put it there? I’ll give you a hint: Their names rhyme with “Shmon-El’s Mom” and “Shmon-El’s Dad.” Though they initially denied these allegations during a trip to Mon-El’s bar (“You work here? As a servant?”), the truth was eventually revealed — as were Rhea’s true feelings about Supergirl — when Mon-El’s mom decided to take a Kryptonite dagger to the Face of Steel.

In exchange for sparing Kara’s life, Mon-El agreed to join the king and queen on their four-year (!) trip back to Daxam, but in an extremely relatable twist, tensions rose between Mon-El and his parents almost immediately into the family road trip; first came a slap from Rhea, then a relocation to the royal dungeon. (I get that she’s playing a villain, but we’re all loving Teri Hatcher on this show, right? I need the next addition to the Arrow-verse to be a Real Housewives of Daxam prequel.)

Fortunately, Mon-El’s “real” family wasn’t quite ready to let him go just yet. Implementing a clever bait-and-switch — in which J’onn disguised himself as Kara — the gang was able to liberate Mon-El and convince his parents to let him stay without interference. … Well, one of his parents, anyway. In the episode’s final moments, Rhea lashed out at Lar Gand (“You betrayed me, my love”) and delivered a fatal stab to his abdomen before setting her sights back on Earth. (Again, I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m loving this character.)

Speaking of situations that fluctuated between sappy and soggy, Alex and Maggie bumped into Maggie’s ex-girlfriend Emily on their way out of couple’s yoga — and for reasons unknown to anyone who’s ever met their partner’s ex, Alex insisted that they all get together for dinner. (Seriously, what?) When Emily eventually stood them up on their awkward date, Alex tracked her down for an apology… and got a history lesson instead.

After learning that Maggie cheated on Emily, Alex sat her girlfriend down for a little therapy lesson. Like most of the developments in Maggie’s life, her past with Emily wasn’t something she felt comfortable facing — which is exactly why she needed to do it. And she did. And now all is well in Sanvers-ville. Phew.

OK, let’s hear your thoughts on this week’s episode — including your theories about Madam President’s out-of-this-world twist. (She’s definitely an alien!) Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Drew says:

Oh my Daxam gods, but I love me some Queen Rhea as played by Terry Hatcher! And I’m not going to apologize, but I love Kara and Mon-El (Romayo and Juleit), and I love Mon-El and Winn (“You finally watched Star Wars”). Chris Wood has brought such a new dynamic to the show this year and I really hope he stays around a long time.

• Fan says:

I agree. Love Karamel.

• Kimberly Mlejnek says:

Finally….I hear so much hate for him…. But I LOVE MonEl

• Josh says:

If he wasn’t taking over the show having more screen time than most of the characters maybe I would like him. Maybe if they didn’t have Kara say stupid crap like all she needs is her blog and Mon-el(screw her family) I would like him. Maybe if everything wasn’t about Mon-el I would like him. Changing Supergirl to fit and serve her Doucheboy boyfriend with their sickening teenage romance

• Mary says:

Yes, this. He was better in the beginning before they decided that Kara MUST be his girlfriend and stripped away her agency. She has no real story this season because of him.

• Ws says:

He is her story this season. Don’t worry, im fairly certain he wont be back next year.

• Josh says:

That’s the problem her story shouldn’t be a Man.

• Ws says:

It can be whatever the writers want it to be.. I just dont get you complainers.

• Mary says:

And that’s the problem. Her story at the beginning of the season was supposed to be figuring out who Kara Danvers is as well as learning to be a reporter. Instead it’s been all about him.

• Ws says:

the reporter thing never made much sense.. she should just work for the DEO full time… the season has been about the aliens and he is a part of that.

• Dave says:

How do you know? I bet Chris Wood sticks around.

• Netty says:

Why can’t Kara’s story for the season be about her rship with Mon El….would there be this much hate if it had been Lana/Kara rship…doubt it!
            And who said a woman needs to be single in order to figure out who she is? Are you saying she can’t do both at the same time?
            I love Mon El..and I love him and Kara together. I hope he stays on the show.

• Pedro says:

Woman having love interests is sexist. Women must hate men, not love them. Third Wave Feminism. Never mind the large majority of male superheroes have love interests and it’s a big part of their mythos. But you you never hear, “you know, Lois Lane has too much screentime. Superman shouldn’t be about her. She’s kind of self-centred because she doesn’t just do whatever Superman tells her to do all the time. Why does she have her own ideas at all”? You see? Outrageous. But that is how people talk about Mon-El.

• Gift says:

Are we still on that? Having more screen Play really? Give it up now. Is there anything or anytime that u people will not complain? It’s getting really old.

• Pedro says:

Kara has more screen time than Mon-El. She’s clearly the lead. He was brought in to be the male lead, since the James Olsen character in that position did not work, as he had zero chemistry with Kara. When they soft-rebooted season two for The CW, a new lead came in, a regular and two strong recurring left, CatCo was almost abandoned, they found a new direction for Alex’s storyline and introduced a new male lead. Get over it.

• Katherine215 says:

His stormtrooper line and the, “I cook now” line were hilarious. He’s definitely lightened up the show.

• AMI says:

Some actually hate Mon-el coz they want Kara to end up with Lena

• Jami says:

Me too. I love them as a super couple. He is funny. He had some good lines last night. Your kind a of short to be a storm trooper. I love the fact that SG is almost a romantic comedy.

• Gerald says:

I agree. I am a Kara Mon El Shipper. But I don’t like where this is going. King is dead queen will be incarcerated or killed and Mon El will feel obligated to go back to Daxum to bring about a much more just society to his world He hinted at it when he thought he was going back. I don’t want him to go, but I see this is where it might be heading.

• Corinne says:

Agree with this 100%! I love Kara & Mon-El and I love his bromance with Winn :)

• Pedro says:

Perfectly stated!

• JenJ says:

I love Kara and Mon El! I am so happy to see her actually in love with someone who has chemistry with her. Not interested in seeing her with Lena or Lana, or whatever her name is, we already have enough with Alex & Maggie. And the strange relationship that Winn has with his girlfriend. With all of the changes due to the Catco story fizzling out with the departure of Calista Flockhart, especially that horrible new editorial boss that she had to work for, it’s nice to see some normalcy in Kara’s life for a change.

• ninergrl6 says:

I love him/them too. Chris Wood has chemistry with everyone.

• LKE says:

Well said. Totally agree!

2. Drew says:

Now, Andy, I love your recaps and know you are a student of Supergirl, but the show previously revealed Madame President is an alien! I think it was at the end of the first episode Lynda Carter appeared, where as the President was leaving the DEO her face briefly flashed from human to alien. Please tell me I’m not imagining this???

• Kimberly Mlejnek says:

Your not…. But we got a full alien reveal. I was hoping someone knows what type of alien she is. As a freak fan of Dr. Who sooooo many races of aliens

• Rob says:

maybe she is femmale dominators ? he say that we see Dominators in Supergirl

• Chip says:

This episode name-dropped “Durlans” and they are shape-shifters (Chameleon Boy from the Legion of Super-Heroes) so…maybe. She didn’t look much like the depiction of Durlans in the comic books but Lyra didn’t look anything like someone from Starhaven.

• jrex says:

You are correct although I only vaguely recall what her alien face looked like, I thought it was a different alien face? Unclear if she’s actually a villain yet. Please tell me she’s not a White Martian. Still there seems to be too many aliens who conveniently can morph into human form.

• Susan says:

No, I remember it too. Trying to figure out what her end game is. I figure she’ll be the season finale cliffhanger.

• GraceM says:

You’re not imaging it. She did reveal herself to be an alien, though we’re all still waiting for her to reveal her true intentions. I’m also waiting to see her “other jet”.

• Stacey says:

No, you are correct!

3. jason says:

Felt like the writers headr the hate mon el was getting and decided to not write him so obnoxious but the question still looms. Why does Kara feel so strongly for him? She’s willing to risk her life, die for him in this episode and i’m just sitting here wondering what did the writers put in here to make us care? Why does Kara love him. when he’s been pretty basic

• Drew says:

I feel like we might be watching different shows. Why does anyone love anyone? At a minimum there’s a connection or a spark. Sometimes it’s because opposites attract. Sometimes it’s hate, which is just a thin line from love. Regardless, from Mon-El’s first appearance there have been so many moments showing their spark, their connection. The way they glanced at each other, they way they talked to and about each other. All of that has been there. All of the normal small hints that two characters are falling for each other. It’s been slow – very gradual – so is that what’s throwing people off? They haven’t been paying attention?

• jason says:

In real life sure, but this is a TV show. its the writers jobs to do more than give us looks and glances, its been plenty of those but we need story too. Its not our job to read into everything or just assume its all happening off screen.

• Li says:

Drew- I agree. I actually like Mon-El as a character and I don’t mind him being Kara’s boyfriend. Plus, he’s a pretty feminist male character– a rare feat currently on television. At the beginning, yeah, he was kind of immature, but he grew, A TON. And it wasn’t that Kara changed him, he changed because of everyone around him, because of Earth. He’s not dominating Kara- he supports her and almost always acts like Kara’s sidekick. Yeah, at times he’s a bit clueless, but he learns from his errors. Don’t we all have our moments of doing dumb things?

• Ws says:

Kara has shown she is willing to risk her life for any of her friends, not just him.. thats part of what makes her a hero.

• Josh says:

Maybe if this show felt like Supergirl instead of the Mon-el show people wouldn’t complain

• Ws says:

It doesn’t feel like that… some people just like complaining.

• Josh says:

Yes it does he’s always with Kara he’s barely with anyone else. He’s a second season character who gets more screen time than J’onn Jimmy Winn and Alex

• Jeeper says:

The show looks and feels ENTIRELY different from last season. It’s the good ole CW treatment, everyone must have a love interest and that must take precedence over everything else. Where is the family dynamic from last season? Superfriends and CatCo? It’s not just the Kara/Mon-el dynamic, all the romances have ruined, for me at least, the heart of the show. And when was the last time we had a good Danvers sisters couch scene? Or hug? Or I love you? They were almost on an episodic basis last year, and i can count on one hand how many times there’s been anything remotely substantial between them this season. They were the heart of the show and the heart is flat-liing pretty hardcore for me 17 eps in.

• Mary says:

Yeah it does. Kara’s lines have dropped off considerably as the season has gone along and too much of them have been all about him.

• Katherine215 says:

@Jeeper then I guess you’re this resentful of Maggie taking Alex’s time away from Kara, too, right? Because half the reason they don’t have “couch scenes” anymore is because of Alex’s relationship. And I’m sorry but plenty of time was spent on Kara’s love life last year – she dated Cat’s son, and she mooned over James for the entire season and became part of that love triangle. The only difference in the show is the de-emphasis on CatCo time and that’s due to Callista Flockhart’s absence. Naturally the show would have to change without her.
            And I have to say, this obsession people have with the sister relationship is odd at best to me. I am really close to my sister but at no time have we been as sappy-sweet as the Danvers sisters were portrayed – and they were only sisters for like 13 years! I think this is much more realistic a portrayal of a sisterly relationship. You’re there for each other but you also aren’t there for each other to the detriment of the other relationships in your life.

• Pedro says:

What? The male lead has more screen time than the supporting players? Next thing you tell me is that if this were Superman, Lois Lane would have more screen time than Perry White and Jimmy Olsen!

• Li says:

You know, if Mon-el was a girl and Kara was a guy, no one would be complaining. But the moment the roles change, holy hell, everyone gets upset. Maybe guys sometimes need to be the sidekicks to girls too. You know? I mean, in Superman or Smallville, isn’t Lois Lane just the love interest and only interacts with superman? I bet no one had a problem with that.

• Mary says:

Not true. There are plenty of people who complain about Felicity on Arrow.
            ———
            Mon-El isn’t a sidekick though. He’s pretty much taking over. And no, Lois Lane is more than that. She’s still an investigative reporter. Mon-El is a bartender, who thinks spending time with Kara is a good reason to be a hero. No. That’s still all about him.

• Netty says:

He is an alien from another planet learning the ways of Earth, can you give him a break..whether he was a bartender or an astronaut , pretty sure some of you would still be complaining. This arc is about his journey on earth and how he is seeing and learning new traditions with the help of Kara. Iris is just a LI and no one has a problem with that…Kara being in a rship with a man does not diminish the feminism aspect of the show…Why can’t Kara’s storyline this season be about her rship with Mon El. This is all about people wanting Kara and Lana, nothing more….

• Gift says:

Yes, u re so right.

• parstl says:

My oh my…first you guys didnt like James. Now Mon El has too prominent a role in the show. Face it and move on…Supergirl is not going gay or that would be the end of the series on a primetime network.

• Gift says:

What do u want, the same story as it goes with superman. She wasn’t sent to earth as earth’s Savior, superman was. Kara was sent to protect her cousin. That didn’t happen. Now she has to live her life nd figure things out. She falls in love what is the problem in that? Get over it issue with mon-El, he made the show better.

• Mary says:

Yes. And his only reason for being a hero is her.

• Ws says:

She inspired him to become one… whats wrong with that?

• Josh says:

He should want to do it to help people not to get in some woman’s pants.

• Mary says:

No. She didn’t inspire him to become one. He said specifically that he likes being a hero because he gets to spend more time with her. That’s not being a hero. He’s already put people at risk when he decided she needed more help than the human cops she told him to protect when the fake Livewires attacked a police station. If he’s all about her, then anyone who isn’t her can’t count on him to help them no matter how much they might need it more than she does. Being a hero is putting the people first, not the person you’re supposedly interested in.

• Ws says:

There are plenty of heroes that do it for many reasons. The hate just seems out of proportion.

• Mary says:

Being a hero is about being selfless. He’s about being selfish. Xena decided to become a hero because of the things she had done in the past. Kara does it because she feels a need to help others, as does Alex. Saying you want to be “hero” just to spend time with another person is a terrible reason.

• AMI says:

So Maggie lied again to Alex (about the reason for the breakup) but we’re gonna let that slip because she is not Mon-el?

• KCC says:

In my book anyone that calls them self a hero or aspires to be a hero is not a hero. Heroes are selfless. They do not seek glory or admiration. They do what they do because it’s the right thing to doing and requires sacrifice and/or personal peril, whether anyone acknowledges their actions as being heroic or not.
            Kara is only a hero on earth because of the influx of aliens that actually put her in danger. Stopping an armed robbery is nothing to her, bullets bounce right off. Saving someone from a burning building is no more dangerous to her than a paramedic removing someone from a building that’s not on fire. While everything she does would be considered heroic if a human attempted it, to her it’s not that big a deal.

• Pedro says:

Your book is wrong. If a firefighter risked his life and saved me and my family from a fire I would not mind for one second that he only joined the profession because girls dig firefighters and I would not think of him as any less of a hero. I wouldn’t want my and my family to have died burned alive because we’d rather wait for a more worthwhile hero.

Also, perfect characters make for boring stories.

• Adam says:

I felt the same way about Mon-el, i was annoyed that everytime he mentioned wanting to be a better person it was only because he was dating her or trying to. But i did enjoy the speech he gave to his parents at the end of last week’s episode, namely the part where he said wanted to be a better person whether he was with her or not.

• Gift says:

Why is that wrong? Many guys do things because they like, love, fancy some woman. Put a better point.

• Gift says:

Oh please WS, she risk her life for him because she loves him. Yes she can risk life do anyone or her friends we know that well. Mon-El is different. She could have just let him go with his parents nd let be rain but no she went back for him because she can’t live without him.

• dansue says:

That’s the biggest mistake of this storyline – showing the relationship through Monel’s pov, a new character who wasn’t given time to win the audience over. Kara’s feelings seem secondary and it’s a shame we didn’t really get to see what she supposedly sees in him. The whole entire storyline feels so rushed and inauthentic. His arc was all tell, no show. It’s like they had a beginning and end in mind but the middle was so muddled. Very disappointed in what could have been an interesting love story but massive execution failure. Hopefully Kara’s next love interest will be fleshed out better (b/c since this is the cw there will be another one – those romeo and juliet references weren’t exactly subtle). The show is supposed to be Kara’s story, let her be an active participant in it!

• Pedro says:

He’s handsome, funny, caring, his whole life is about making Kara happy. What is not to love?

• Gift says:

I mean what is there not to love? he is fun, funny nd has his focus on his girl what more do u want? Mon-El was a spoilt prince who came to know nd is learning about selflessness through the girl he adores. He has changed nd will keep changing until he doesn’t need Kara to show him the part anymore. He is the best man for her.

4. Lar Gand wasn’t in on the bounty and seemed very dismayed his wife put out the hit. I saw it coming but I’m really bummed out that Lar Gar got murdered by his wife. Poor Mon-El when he finds out.

5. Jeeper says:

So let me get this straight. Kara, the defender of National City and who has put the helpless way above anything, suddenly decides to risk a war with a giant alien warship to rescue her boyfriend from his Mommy? And Alex et al go against PotUS to save their
    ‘family member’ Mon-El? I just……what? Perhaps if they actually showed us that development instead of just expecting us to go with it when it pops up it may make more sense. Probably not, but I mean, wow, what a stinker of an ep if you’re a fan of Kara Zor-el/Supergirl. Teri Hatcher as the baddie is kind of fabulous though, loving that casting choice!

• Ws says:

She would do the same for any of her other friends had they been captured by aliens also. Why is that so hard to get?

• Josh says:

Would she? All she needs is Douche-el according to her

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Kara went all the way to another planet to rescue Izzy. She’s not going to go to a spaceship in Earth orbit to rescue Mon-El?

• Jeeper says:

Because we’ve seen their relationships flourish and organically grow. Half the season it seemed as though Kara barely tolerated his misogynistic crap. And then suddenly it was turned around and their true love equated to Romeo and Juliet within 5 episodes? And again, she was selfish, she said herself she didn’t want to lose him because his parents were taking him away. He wasn’t in front of a firing squad or being sent to his death. As far as she knew he wasn’t truly in danger, she just didn’t want him to go. We only saw later what lengths his mother was willing to go.

• Josh says:

That’s what bothers me. His misogynistic crap gets a pass cause of how he looks it seems. If he was ugly it would be called out. The Romeo and Juliet like Crap makes me Barf

• Netty says:

That is how life works…that is very realistic…just because this is a feminist CW show does not mean it has to gloss over the realities of life. People fall for all kinds of people and there is no formula to fix who you can be attracted to. Kara likes Mon El even with all his ‘short-comings’…at least Kara (unlike some of this show’s audience) has enough common sense to understand that he is alien to the traditions and ways of earth and she appreciates his efforts to change.

• Pedro says:

Is his misogynist crap “I don’t do what my girlfriend orders me to do all the time”? Because that has been also James and Winn’s storyline. Kara likes to dictate what everyone should do with her lives, while never listening to what people say. Which is actually an interesting storyline. If you are, basically a God, you would feel that way and maybe you need to grow and allow people to be part of the discussion. But not agreeing and obeying Kara 100% of the time is not Misogyny.

• Pedro says:

Kara has done the same thing over and over again for Hank, Kara, Winn, Lena, Cat and, not unlikely, she’d do the same for an actual cat. I have never seen her say: “maybe we just don’t save this person because of the greater good”?

6. jrex says:

Loving Teri as evil Queen Rhea, but I keep waiting for them to put some serious obstacles in the relationship between Kara and Mon-El to slow it down. I enjoy their relationship, but it’s moved too far to quickly and sucks up too much of the storytelling and adventure for Supergirl.

7. Yel says:

This season is fire compared to last season tbh

8. Amber says:

I love Mon El and Kara together and have enjoyed the couch scenes. I hope Mon El stays around for a long time.

That said I miss the Kara and Alex sister scenes. I feel like we rarely see them interacting any more. When was the last time they had a couch scene?

• Li says:

I agree!!! I love the couch scenes! I love that Mon El also sits under the blanket!
      But yeah, there should be more Kara-Alex scenes, more sister times!

• KCC says:

I know right! They could shoot the entire show on Kara’s couch! Just have a different character come in and sit with Kara under a blanket and pour out their hearts to her. She would be supportive and give them advice. Of course they’d have to change the name of the show to Dr. Supergirl, Psy.D. That’s the kind of superhero show America needs! People with relationship and personal problems need a superhero of their own.
        I apologize for the snarky comment. It’s just that it’s a 40 minute show and having couch scenes between, Kara & Mon-El, Kara & Alex, Alex & Maggie, and every other different relationship the shippers want to see included is a bit much. It’s getting to the point I feel I’m watching more of a soap opera and less of an action adventure show.

9. Jimmy says:

I’m also enjoying Teri Hatcher in this role. She seems to be enjoying it and she makes for a great villain.

10. Uno says:

So… Did James ever get up after Mon el flung him across that roof??…did any one check… Did no one care… I mean Kara (who spent an entire year chasing him to then dump him) ran after Mon el who she punched.. But we never even saw James again… Smh i liked James well enough.. But if this is all the writers are gonna give him… Please kill him iff so i don’t spend parts of every episode wondering where jimmy is

• Drew says:

Oh my! That’s a strong closing to what started as a very funny post! Because I truly LOLed simply because I 100% forgot about James. That’s actually sad now that I think about it, how this S1 character has been written to become so insignificant in terms of storyline. I know there’s a James-centric episode coming up, but it does seem like a waste of Mechad Brooke’s talents.

• Josh says:

Why does he have to die? Just send him back to Metropolis.

• steven says:

If they kill Jimmy, it’d be season 8 of Smallville all over again.

• Mary says:

Or just send him back to Metropolis. I thought maybe he might get more to do this season, not less. But then everybody, including Kara, has less to do this season than the Daxamite.

• ninergrl6 says:

I thought the same thing about James: where’d he go? When he first got tossed I thought it might be a catalyst for him to (a) be seriously injured and/or (b) decide the Guardian gig is too risky. Yet he was completely forgotten. Obviously the writers don’t know what to do with him.

11. Mary says:

Teri Hatcher has been great, but I figured out she was going to kill Lar well before she actually did.
    ———
    They’re still doing nothing to actually change Mr Blandsome. It was so disgusting last week when he said that his reason for being a hero was just to spend time with Kara, which means nobody can really count on him to help them if they’re not her. And really just barely 24 hour break up?
    ————–
    Not entirely happy with what was going on with Alex and Maggie this episode either. Still they don’t gross me out like the Daxamite who has taken over the show.

• Josh says:

Mon-el gets a pass from comments like that cause he’s attractive. Remember Kara once said all she needs is her blog and Him. Screw Winn J’onn and her sister. It’s all about Mon-el.

• Jeeper says:

That was probably the most WTF scene this entire season. And that says a lot considering how incredibly OOC Kara has been to prop Mon-el. Man, I miss Cat. How do the same writers who created and wrote for that character last season come up with the stuff they have this year? It boggles the mind!

• Mary says:

Apparently they have a lot of writers this season that didn’t write for the show in the first season. And yeah, Kara has been OOC and so has Alex when she’s been encouraging Kara to be with Mon-El. Cat wouldn’t like him and she’d wonder what Kara sees in him beyond his looks.

• Jeeper says:

Well that would make sense, since it seems as though there’s been an entire 180. I still think a lot is the CW influence. I wonder what’s happened to Ali Adler as well. She’s very quiet about the show recently. I’m curious if she’s been pushed out. She seemed quite passionate and involved last season and now nada. She’s not my favorite writer/ep by any means, but perhaps her lack of involvement is part of the decline.

12. Josh says:

When is this show gonna stop being the Mon-el show? He gets Hate cause he eats up screen time and takes time away from other relationships like the Sanvers sisters. I don’t give a crap about the romance where it’s written like they are 13 year olds.

• Katherine215 says:

Get over it, my goodness. I’m sorry you don’t like the direction the show is going, but you’re at the point where you need to decide to stop watching and quit complaining on the internet.

• My name Jaef says:

Seriously, if you dislike the show or its direction so much, stop watching. Find a new show. There’s plenty of great tv out there, go find it. Unless all you do is complain about everything. In which case, go play in traffic.

• KCC says:

It’s a superhero show based on comics. Their core audience is teens. Of course the relationships are going to be simplistic. If you want grownup relationships, watch grownup shows.

• Pedro says:

It’s going to need to start before it stops.

13. GraceM says:

Terri Hatcher is definitely not a Desperate Housewife anymore. The end was a shocker. She’s really good a playing the evil queen. Lol!

14. Teresa says:

Prediction I have: Mon-El is going to take on his father’s name, Lar Gand, as a way to honor his death. Don’t know when this will happen but I think before this season ends. Mon-El’s name in the comics is Lar Gand right?

• Chip says:

Yes, that is his real name. He is called “Mon-El” because he was amnesiac when Superboy found him (on a MONDAY) and, thinking he might be Kryptonian, Superboy named him Mon-El.

• My name Jaef says:

Lar Gand was one of the interpretations. Also Valor. If they go the Valor route, things do not end well for the relationship between him and Supergirl.

15. Theo Johson says:

Oh look, James Olsen just got his ass kicked again, one of the weakest Guardian segments I’ve ever seen to date. What were the writers/director thinking, or do they think at all.
    Team Guardian’s where it’s at.

• KCC says:

The writers/director are probably thinking what I’m thinking, the Guardian is a guy in a metal suit fighting aliens that have super strength and powers, of course he’s going to get his ass kicked. Guardian should stick to fighting humans or get better tech.

16. Jason Randolph says:

Yeah, I like Mon El… I thought this was a great episode! Lots of feels, in all the right places.

17. Cato says:

People would probably tolerate Mon El more if they remembered Kara had other people in her life that cared – Danvers sisters were the best part of season 1 and the writers just dropped them entirely. They don’t even seem to remember they care about each other.

• Brigid says:

That’s what happens in real life when you fall in love. You spend less time with your family and more time with your significant other. Why is that so hard for some of you? Do you go on dates with your boyfriend and sister? NO, so stop expecting Kara and Alex to do what NONE OF YOU would.

• Pedro says:

To be fair, Alex made her life all about Maggie way before Kara started dating again.

18. Ws says:

Again, why does Kara wear her civilian clothes at the DEO? They all know she is Supergirl and having to constantly change seems like a waste of time.

• Katherine215 says:

I actually find it odd she roams around in her cape while just hanging out at the DEO. And it’s hardly a waste of time either way, she changes in like 2 seconds.

19. Elena says:

Oh, people are complaining about Mon-El in the comments. Must be Monday… For what it’s worth, I enjoy their dynamic and the overall tone of the show better this season than last. He is her love interest, and the storyline this year centers on her ability to balance the super hero work with her personal life. He gets no more screen time than any other love interest on any other CW show, and Chris Wood is an extremely charming, effervescent person. So I don’t get all the hate, tbh.

20. Horus says:

SG’s been nothing but a disappointment to me. I was hoping for a tv feminist icon like Wonder Woman. What I got was a ditsy girl who fights nothing but women archfoes. I guess SG’s not good enough to fight male masterminds, so she gets Lex’s little sister as her archfoe instead of Lex, and her aunt in S1, and Mon El’s mother, and a female alien President, and so on; and to top it off her sister has to be a lesbian too. So instead of making a superhero who happens to be a female they made an all-girls club just to show that girls can be good and bad just like boys. Nothing but a disappointment.

• fly says:

in arrow, legends of tomorrow and flash, all their archfoes are male masterminds, now u are moaning over one show showing female villians.

21. Leona says:

All I care about is…When is Rhea gonna hook up with Jeremiah Danvers???!!!!!

22. Red Snapper says:

I truly do not get all the Mon-El hate. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen such hate for a character. Usually when I read comments that say negative things about a show or character I can see where they’re coming from even if I don’t get it. I love him and think Chris Wood is doing a great job. Mon-El has gotten just about the same screen time as anyone else. He’s a new character and his backstory is part of the main story this season with his mom as the main villain so yes, he’s going to be featured a lot otherwise it wouldn’t have the same impact. They’ve spent all season growing his character for the moment he chose Earth over Daxam. He went from being a party boy prince to wanting to be more than that by first just wanting to be a hero for Kara to wanting to be one for himself and others. He didn’t just choose Earth for Kara, he had already decided to stay after Kara broke up with him, he chose it because he’s a better person here and has found a real family at the DEO.

Okay, onto my thoughts about the episode. Mon-El and Kara were adorable as usual. His character growth really showed tonight. He was willing to sacrifice his love and happiness to save Kara. It was sad that his parents were willing to make their son suffer for them, well at least his mom was. After Lar Gand stood up to Queen Rhea I had a feeling he wasn’t long for this world. I was sad to see Kevin Sorbo go. I had such a crush on him as a kid, Saturdays were always spent watching Hercules. Also, I agree that Teri Hatcher is killing it as a villain. It was nice to see the DEO go to bat for Mon-El. They’ve truly accepted him and consider him family. I wasn’t a big fan of the Alex/Maggie story this week. I think Alex overstepped when she had Maggie invite her ex to dinner then tracked her down when she didn’t show. I think there is more to the story of the President not wanting them to engage the Daxamite ship. Maybe its because she has history with them or something. I hope when learn how an alien became the President and what her intentions are soon. Again, I forgot Jimmy existed until he was on the screen. Sorry for the long post, lots of thoughts today.

23. And once again, I’m here to scream my love for Teri Hatcher from the rooftop. My only hope during this episode was, “please don’t let it be her last, please don’t let it be her last”.
    Looks like Queen Rhea is coming back! She’s stealing the show and I love it. She single-handedly saved this episode for me.
    Oh and… no shade, but Barry’s breakfast was the greatest of all times! :p

24. Paco Prior says:

The answer is obvious enough. To hit the ratings mother lode, Supergirl clearly needs more lesbian action. They’ve only touched the tip of the iceberg thus far…

25. Pretty sure that Rhea put out that bounty by herself; Lar Gand seemed quietly surprised and unsettled by the revelation. Neither one was a good guy — but he was more a run-of-the mill entitled royal, I think, whereas she’s maliciously insane.

26. Dominique says:

mon-el; was raised with certain standards and beliefs for 20+ years, tries everything to change himself now and his view on the world, tries to become a better man, does the selfless thing, learns from his mistakes.
    fans: omg he’s so horrible and selfish i hate him so much, he’s taking away so much screentime!!!
    maggie; lies a lot, plays the victim, puts the blame on other people, makes alex feel like crap.
    fans: omg she’s just been so hurt in the past she deserves to be left alone, and she learns from her mistakes, she’s so amazing!
    anyway, i love teri hatcher as the villain, she’s fantastic and i can’t wait to see what will happen next!

27. It is amazing that with all the good things going on in this episode, they wasted time on the Alex/Maggie relationship. Supergirl is about to be killed by an alien bounty, but let’s take time from that to find out that years ago, Maggie cheated on an ex.

28. Gift says:

Mon El : u came back for me….. Kara : always. What a romantic scene. I love Mon El nd Kara. His mother turned out to be the heartless one. This episode was great. At least Kara got to show how much she cares for Mon El. Great episode.

29. The Carpooler says:

Always so many opinions on SG posts, and lately so many with borderline offensive language. I sure hope we can all learn to get along, lest our ability to comment goes the way of IMDB boards.
    We all have opinions and we interpret each show (in this case SG) in our own way. What exactly is the point of arguing one opinion over the other and calling anyone names? In the end this is a TV show.

30. Michael says:

I figure that Mon-el or Kara will end up killing off his mother, and he will be forced to go back home to rule the planet.

• Jami says:

Hope not. The show is much better this season than last. I don’t understand why Kara can’t have it all. She is SG after all. Mon-El, her friends, family and saving the Earth. Chris Wood has been nothing but charming. I love Maggie and Alex. That’s because I am a lesbian ( they are cute together). I really think pushing SG and Lena is silly. Lena is a great character and Kara’s friend. That’s it. Man if I don’t like a show I stop watching it. I stopped watching Quantico first 2 episodes of the season.

• Gift says:

I stop watching Quantico after the first episode Hahaha. And true if u don’t like a show u stop watching. U made good,clear nd well made point.

31. Luli says:

Love everything that’s going on with the show except that we are getting less Sister Time between Alex and Kara…. Why are they doing this?!?!

• Brigid says:

Because the sisters have both fallen in love and like regular people, are spending more time with their significant other. Why is that unusual? Should they go on dates with each other, do you do that with your sister? Such a weird question.

32. mike says:

I Fast forwarded through all the Maggie ex nonsense. Completely unneeded filler. They really need to give Mon-El the ring and suit already. He’s my favorite Legion character and they’ve utterly misused him here.

Also..please find another method for standing in Jonn for Kara. Its overused at this point. Obvious..and overused.

33. katsssblog says:

Oh, God, people, you are so irritating. Why you can’t just watch the show. You do realize that this is a show. You don’t have to have a conspiracy theories about everything. I just wanna watch the show, laugh when it’s funny, be sad when it’s sad… Why you care so much about who said what, and is that feminist enough for you or ect. Don’t think about it that much. God I loved when we didn’t have internet. It was fun vs boring shows. Drama vs comedies. Now its feminist vs lgbt. And hate comments. You are all messed up. Just watch the show.

34. ninergrl6 says:

I generally enjoyed the ep but this was the highlight…
    Mon-El (being rescued): “Aren’t you a little short for a storm trooper?”
    Winn (beaming): “You finally watched Star Wars”
    Perfect delivery from both Wood & Jordan! QOTW potential, for sure.

35. Gift says:

katsssblog, u ve made a golden point.

36. fiberlicious says:

“for reasons unknown to anyone who’s ever met their partner’s ex, Alex insisted that they all get together for dinner.”
    Andy, Andy, Andy. There are two huge reasons:
    1. “I’m so much hotter than you!”
    2. To show girlfriend how unthreatened you are by the ex.
    Also: I’m not a comics reader, so have no allegiance to the “real’ story, but I LOVE Kara and Mon-El together!! Let the haters hate. They’re adorable.

37. Love seeing Terry Hatcher & Kevin Sorbo, but couldn’t you find a way to keep Lar Gand/Kevin alive so we can enjoy him more? Terry/Rhea makes a beautiful & unbelievably great evil villainess, but I think she needs Kevin – a king with a heart – to balance her. Plus Mon-El deserves at least one decent family member on Earth. Mon-El is good for Kara – she needs someone with a little edge to offset her sugar sweetness. They’d be boring & cause toothaches if they were both that sweet. Kind of like Lois’ edge to Clark’s sweet in Smallville. GREAT SHOW – Supergirl – keep up the good work!