The Walking Dead Recap: Life Swap

You know how it is. In a zombie wasteland, allegiances can shift faster than a corpse can turn. So it probably won’t come as a huge shock that, in Sunday’s penultimate Season 7 episode of The Walking Dead, a couple of major characters appeared to be switching teams. Who really was turning their back on their community, and who was just faking? Read on…

‘IF I WANT GREENERY, I EAT A SALAD’ | Let’s start our recap at the Hilltop, why don’t we? After observing Maggie’s leadership skills in action, Gregory did the unthinkable (for a coward like him, anyway) and followed her when she went outside the walls of the community to dig up a bush. At first, it seemed like he was looking for a fight. Why was she still there, he asked, since her ob/gyn was gone? You said you were gonna bring Carson back, she pointed out. Or was that B.S.? Caught in a lie, Gregory changed tactics, insisting that he wanted them to present a united front to the Hilltoppers.  Maggie did him one better, suggesting that instead they be a united front. “It’s never too late to change,” she added. To give him a chance to do exactly that, she asked him to keep watch for walkers while she finished her gardening. Big mistake. The sleazebag started off by contemplating whether he could murder Glenn’s widow while her back was turned. Then he swore he could handle the approaching walker — he’d killed loads of ’em, doncha know? — which, of course, was another lie. While the mom-to-be dispatched the zombie, Gregory was attacked by another one, leading to Maggie saving him… just as some Hilltoppers were passing by. He hasn’t killed one before; he’s learning, Maggie called out, trying to be helpful. But it was not helpful. “That’s not what he told us!” one of the guys yelled back. Later, Gregory calmed his nerves with tequila and told Kal he needed a ride — presumably to rat out Maggie to Simon.

the walking dead season 7 episode 15 recap‘TELL ME HOW THIRSTY YOU ARE’ | At the Sanctuary, Sasha was paid a visit in solitary by creepy David, who offered her water, which he wasn’t supposed to, if she’d do something for him that she wasn’t supposed to. When she rejected his advances with a head butt and a “Go to hell,” he was about to rape her when Negan interrupted. Now, there are precious few scenarios in which the villain’s arrival on the scene is a good thing, but this was one. He stopped the assault and reminded David that rape was against the rules… by putting a knife through his neck. Shortly, Negan recognized his new captive as having been present the night Lucille struck out Abraham and Glenn, and understood why she’d broken into the stronghold. He was even impressed by her “beach-ball-sized lady nuts.” Had Rick put her up to the attack? “Rick?” she replied. “Your bitch?” (Good acting, Sasha!) Taking that as a no, Negan gave the prisoner the knife and a choice — try to use it on him (which would only get her killed), use it to kill herself (a crying shame) or use it to keep David from reanimating and “join the cause.” Later, when Eugene brought Sasha bedding, she still hadn’t stabbed David in the brain, so he attempted to sell her on the idea that teaming up with the Saviors was “the correct select.” Abraham would want her to, he added, then corrected himself, admitting that no, his brave friend wouldn’t want that. “I do.” Her response, just before David turned: “Go.”

the walking dead season 7 episode 15 recapWhen next we joined Sasha in solitary, Negan was pleased to see that she was still alive, and David’s corpse had a knife in its forehead — a signal that she was switching teams. Still, he wasn’t going to let her keep the weapon. “Baby steps,” he said. First, she’d have to prove herself, and he knew just the way. “A little birdie” had told him that Rick & Co. were plotting something, so his new recruit was going to help him change that and turn the sitch into a win/win. Horrified by the position she was in, Sasha later pleaded with Eugene to bring her a knife, a gun, a razor… anything. “I have to die,” she sobbed. “It’s the only way” to keep herself from being used to hurt her — their — friends. But here’s the great part of this: When we saw Sasha’s expression on the other side of the cell door, we saw quite plainly that she was playing the hell out of him! Unfortunately, when he returned after a while to grant her request, the means of killing that he brought was… crap! Poison. So Sasha was crushed. That wasn’t going to help her do away with Negan, escape or anything.

‘I DIDN’T HAVE A CHOICE’ | Finally, a big group from Alexandria set off for Oceanside, planning to take the women’s guns the easy way — if Tara could convince them to team up — or, if need be, the hard way — but still hopefully without any bloodshed. Along for the ride for a change was Eric, who’d decided it was better to fight than see Aaron get randomly beaten up every so often. “And being with you,” he added, “well… it makes abject terror tolerable.” Unfortunately, even with Cyndie’s help, Tara wasn’t able to convince Natania to talk to Rick in time to give the signal to stop the siege. As explosions went off outside the perimeter of the community — Team Alexandria making its move — Natania got the drop on Tara, who then revealed that her gun had been empty the whole time. “No one needs to get hurt,” Rick insisted when Natania approached with Tara at (loaded) gunpoint. “Walk away,” Natania replied, “or this one dies.” During the stalemate, Tara yelled up to sniper Michonne not to shoot her captor, and Cyndie blurted out to the crowd that the Alexandrians wanted to fight the Saviors. “Maybe we should try,” said Beatrice. But Natania was adamant. She was so scarred by their past losses that she’d do anything to prevent a rematch with the Saviors — even murder Tara and get killed herself. Luckily (?), before anyone pulled a trigger, Michonne spotted walkers, Cyndie K.O.’d her grandmother, and Rick and Beatrice leapt into action, leading the others safely to victory over the undead party crashers.

the walking dead season 7 episode 15 recapAfterwards, when Rick and Beatrice shook hands, Natania knew that she had lost the battle — “Take your damn guns and go” — but still refused to give up the war — Oceanside would not join the fight. As the Alexandrians were departing, Cyndie told Tara that some of the women wanted to go with them and take on the Saviors but couldn’t because it had to be all of them or none of them. In turn, Tara thanked her for saving her life (again and again), and Cyndie thanked her for “what you’re doing,” risking life and limb to defeat a soulless enemy. Upon the group’s return to Alexandria, it was Rosita who opened the gate for them. Not really addressing the issue of where Sasha was, Rosita escorted them down to the prison cell, where Dwight was being held. (So that was Dwight last week. When I saw Daryl with his crossbow in this episode, I second-guessed myself.) After Daryl was restrained from tearing off his tormentor’s head, Rosita revealed that Dwight insisted he wanted to help them. “OK,” said Rick, leveling his gun at the (former?) Savior. “Get on your knees.”

So, what did you think of “Something They Need”? Who do you think — and hope — won’t survive the finale? Hit the comments.

1. AngelWasHere says:

If I was Sasha, I would have found a way to get Eugene to come in and stuff that pill in his mouth. lol Am I only one who feels like Rick’s crew is looking more and more like the bad guys? I know they need the guns, but damn. I kind of felt sorry for those women.

• LAwoman says:

I felt a bit sorry for Oceanside too as there seem to be a lot of little kids there. But I guess the focus has to be on the big picture.

• Wordsmith says:

At least they established that most of those ladies are pretty capable against walkers using just a knife, so it’s not like they’re defenseless without guns.

• Wrstlgirl says:

I always have to go back and rewatch the eps before I delete them from my dvr because it comes on late for me but did they take all of their guns. They wouldn’t leave them with nothing but knives would they?

• Lilly says:

One of my favorite episodes of all TWD was the one in season one where they stumbled on the “gangstas” only to learn they were good guys trying to protect an old folks home. Awesome writing. THAT Rick would have left Oceanside with a few guns. This is why I watch this show: praying my beloved characters can maintain some semblance of their humanity. I really don’t get why Rick couldn’t leave at least a few guns. Seriously.

2. Jason says:

Oh, how I love watching Maggie belittle Gregory. Highlight of my day. And I hope that the Oceansiders eventually find their courage and join the fight. It’s going to take all hands on deck to beat the Saviors.

3. Gina says:

Who is Negans little birdie? I have a feeling it’s Jadis.

• Here I Am says:

Jadis is a good guess but how to the two know each other? Is the junkyard one of Negan’s outposts. They junkyard peeps surely don’t seem to fit the mold of an outpost so I don’t think they are an outpost. Maybe Jadis went out looking for Negan to see if she could get a better deal than the one she made with Rick from Negan – that would be interesting.

• Godo says:

Watch it be Enid

• Drewgo says:

I keep thinking that too

• SusieqC79 says:

I can’t imagine it being Enid because she cared too much for Glenn & Maggie. The only way I could see it being her would if they were threatening her.

I think it’s the junkyard, they are too shady. They are asking Rick’s group to gather as many guns as possible, essentially getting them to clear out all the weapons. The group is giving away the only way to protect themselves. Remember how far out they have had to go to find more?

• Ktina says:

I think it’s Enid too

• Erynn says:

I’ve thought it was Enid since last season when she kept disappearing from Alexandria. She was going back to the Sanctuary to give Negan information. I’d like to think that it wouldn’t be her at this point with how close she and Maggie are getting.

• AnnieM says:

OMG, people, people – it’s not Enid. Enid = Sophia. In the comics, Sophia is still alive, and was ‘adopted’ by Maggie & Glenn after comic Carol killed herself at the prison. They’ve pretty much intimated this when they showed her bonding with Glenn, then Maggie. I think this may have even been mentioned on Talking Dead at least once.

• AnnieM says:

If it is Jadis, I think this makes the most sense: “They have us make bang-bang on you. What you do for us to not?” lol. Who does that broad think she is – Yoda? Anyway, I’ll go you one even further – I can picture her and her people just standing around watching, maybe shooting off a round or two in self defense if the fight gets too close to them, then aligning with whoever is going to win.

• Rob TO says:

I think it’s Eric (Aaron’s boyfriend). He was so against fighting the Saviors before, but now he’s for it and just joins the group on this expedition to get the guns. I think he’s giving Negan information in exchange for protection for him and Aaron.

• Lilly says:

This is my guess, too, though I’m not sure how he’s communicating with Negan. (Maybe on the sly to one of his minions?) I doubt it’s Enid. I also don’t think it’s Janis – too obvious, especially since Rick is turning over ALL his guns to them.

• SusieqC79 says:

That is a perfect cover though. Have them go and search for all of the guns they could use against Negan and they will willingly hand them over. Unless they stashed some, it’s going to take a long time to weaponize themselves. They cleaned the area pretty far out, it’s going to be impossible to replace them.

• Angie D says:

Gregory

• Hepha says:

Gregory only starts considering telling something to the Saviors at the end of this episode. At least it seems like it…
        Enid I don’t think so. Maybe Jadis indeed… Or just a random person from the Hilltop or the Kingdom. It would be really surprising that Negan never thought about having spies in those communities…

4. Here I Am says:

Negan needs to look himself in a mirror for calling someone a rapist while his wives are their basically against their wills. I was sad to see the fight that so engraved on Sasha’s face reduced to her basically wanting to take her own life. She’s not dead yet so she still has the chance to follow up on ‘we all want to go out fighting’. I’m still holding out hope that the Oceanside community will join the other communities to fight since it will take more than one fight to take down Negan. I wonder (1) who is the little birdie that told Negan about Rick’s plans. It can’t be Eugene since he wasn’t there when they decided to fight Negan back and (2) what made Rosita trust that Dwight would be there to help Rick and his group given how Dwight has treated her in the past. Is it because he didn’t capture her and bring her back to Sanctuary at the end of last episode? Overall it was a good episode but I’m not really crazy about Negan having more than 2 minutes of screen time in any given episode. That how much of him I can tolerate in an episode.

• Jennifer says:

Sasha didn’t want to die. She was hoping Eugene would provide a weapon, whether it be a gun, knife, or piece if glass. She was disheartened when he provided the poison.

• Tasha says:

Exactly what I was thinking and then when she looked upset when he gave her the pill instead of a weapon it confirmed it for me.

• Gypo Nolan says:

Apparently, someone wasn’t paying attention during Sasha’s scene–maybe next time.

• Here I Am says:

Well, her words not mine – [ I knew if I didn’t kill him last night. It’d be over. And I didn’t so it is. It has to be……. one way or another he’s gonna hurt our friends and there is nothing I can do about it expect to make sure I’m not alive to give him the chance. If he has me he’ll hurt them ]. Her window of killing Negan is closed. and she doesn’t like the choice she made to collaborate with Negan. Negan took the knife from her before and said they have to go through the process of collaborating through baby steps and Eugene now belongs to Negan so no way she was going to get anything that could be used as a weapon. Plus you have to put into consideration what she said/did in the last episode. She was on a suicide mission; told more than two characters that the others needed them (essentially saying she wasn’t needed anymore and her time to die had come). She also tricked Rosita and got into Sanctuary to go because it wasn’t Rosita’s time. Meaning Sasha thought it her time to go (complete the suicide mission). So yes Sasha knew there was no way she was coming out of this mission alive. She’s going to die one way or another.

• Lilly says:

Then what was the point in her smiling – clearly FAKING her sob story to Eugene? Then she was upset when he gave her a pill. She would have accepted the pill gratefully if her intent was just to kill herself, but she was upset when he gave her that. Not impossible to kill Negan with a pill … but much harder (especially without Eugene figuring it out).

• Here I Am says:

To me the smiling was her being content that Eugene agreed to try and help her with her mission to off herself. Her not accepting ‘the pill gratefully’ (to use your words) signified (to me) that she wanted the other weapons to kill herself since she wanted it to be quick (or she thought it would be quicker as opposed to the pill). Eugene said the pill would take 20 – 30 minutes and he wasn’t sure how much pain she was going to go through before those minutes were over. Sasha said she missed the opportunity to kill Negan and she is right as It’s impossible for her to kill Negan now no matter what she has at her disposal. She’d get killed before she ever has the chance to do so. Also no way TWD take out their most sadistic villain to date with a poison pill by Sasha. If Negan will die on the show, he’ll be killed in battle and it’s only fitting he be killed by either Rick or Maggie.

5. Steve F. says:

Huh. Well, at least we have an idea of how Holly (the comic book character Sasha’s replacing) might have died in the series… that said, will Sasha’s final fate be like what happens in the book? And, for that matter, Eric’s (seeing how he’s filling in for Denise – plus, c’mon, he’s practically got the “dead man walking” sign around his neck)?

• Wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, the second I saw Eric on the mission with the group I said to myself “you’re a dead man”.

• SusieqC79 says:

I told my husband Eric was a goner because he now has a ton of lines. When a background character suddenly has a lot to say, it’s dead man walking!

• Andrea says:

I’ve been thinking that Sasha was getting the Holly treatment and last night’s episode solidified it for me. I’m pretty sure things will go down for her like they did for Holly in the comic book.

6. Brian says:

I felt bad for Oceanside too. Wish Rick and his crew could have found another way to get guns.

7. Carlos Lee says:

I do not think episode 16 of Season 7 will be the end of the war with the Saviors. Just the beginning. I was hoping they would speed things up.

8. David says:

Carl or Enid will be the mole.

9. Gypo Nolan says:

Who do I hope won’t survive the final? Easy one–Daryl, as long as he insists on trying to get through the Apocalypse without once washing that disgusting, grease-ridden
    mop. Good lord, it’s gotta be full of lice! Just repulsive.

10. MrMank says:

Given that Sonequa Martin-Green is playing the lead in the new Star Trek series, it’s a safe bet she is toast. Whether she has the same fate as Holly in the comics remains to be seen, as they did that little trick on Fear The Walking Dead. I also think it may be high time for Morgan to go, too, as much as I love Lennie James.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

This was a good episode…….IS there ANY chance Sonequa/Sasha can balance both shows? I don’t want her to die but it’s most likely it will happen. All these theories of who is the undercover Savoir Enid or Eric…..I rule out Enid cause she really cares about Maggie and has been helping her out. I think it could be Eric who the hell knows. As for Scarface Dwight I STILL DON’T LIKE/TRUST him they need to watch out despite his hate for Negan and switching sides.

• Hepha says:

It sure looks like Sasha is going, but I hope too it won’t be that simple. With all the characters, Sonequa could easily be in only 2 episodes of the first 8… That’s plenty of time left for the other show ! But alas, I do think she’s a goner.

11. Donna says:

Rick and Company went into Oceanside and acted like Negan and his group. Calling it “for the benefit of everyone in the bigger picture,” but it was a heavy handed tactic that Rick doesn’t like when it’s done to him.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Yes and no. Rick tried to have a conversation first but they were stubborn, when that didn’t work they went out of their way to see that no one was killed and even offered them the deal. A deal to work together not you work for me.

12. Judy A Lonning says:

Don”t put Badland on between Walking Dead and Talking Dead!

• Wrstlgirl says:

100% agree. I can see why they do it because they want people to stick around for Talking Dead but next week after the finale’ they should not make us wait. That makes me mad :-)

• Lilly says:

I get it: If they didn’t do that, Badlands might not have many watchers. I think the fans have earned the right to watch Talking Dead immediately following TWD for the finale. Not that anyone will listen….

• AngelWasHere says:

I agree. I almost forget to watch Talking Dead now. Missed the first half last night, because I forgot. It comes on too late too.

13. Lucy says:

Kill Negan

14. Ant says:

A very bad episode for a dying show.