New Girl on the Bubble: Keep or Cut?

By mid-May, the broadcast networks must make some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2017-18 TV season, and which… won’t.

As that deadline draws near, TVLine is singling out a few “bubble” shows and sizing up their prospects — based in large part on creative strides (and stumbles) and future potential, but also with a requisite nod to cold, hard numbers.

Next up is Fox’s current longest-running, live-action sitcom.

THE SHOW | Fox’s New Girl (Tuesdays at 8/7c)

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | While even New Girl‘s most diehard fans would admit that the show endured a bit of a creative slump midway through its run, those who stuck with it were rewarded with a reenergized Season 5 (which among other things navigated Zooey Deschanel’s first maternity leave and Damon Wayans Jr.’s second exit). That momentum has only built in the show’s current run, which has allowed its characters to grow and mature more than the previous years combined. Newlyweds Schmidt and Cece are now first-time homeowners. Winston is engaged to Aly and settling into his career as a cop. Jess was finally promoted to principal. Nick self-published his Julius Pepperwood novel and has proven via his ill-fated relationship with Reagan that he’s ready to be the kind of boyfriend Jess always wanted him to be. What’s most important is that the writers managed to make all of these big changes without ever losing touch of the show’s delightfully unsophisticated sense of humor.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Here’s the thing: As good as Season 6 has been, it has very much felt like a final season (or at the very least, like Liz Meriwether & Co. feared it would be the final season, and made sure to do just about everything with these characters that they hadn’t already). The only loose end that needs tying up is the Nick and Jess romance, and a recoupling seems inevitable before season’s end.

Averaging 2.1 million weekly viewers this season, New Girl stands as Fox’s least-watched comedy, while its 1.0 demo rating only bests struggling newcomer Making History. Perhaps in part due to stop-and-start scheduling, its numbers have gradually waned since its midseason premiere, matching its demo low of 0.8 in its most recent airing. It’s no wonder Jake Johnson has publicly expressed doubt about Season 7.

RELATED Vote to Keep or Cut Timeless, Sleepy Hollow, SHIELD and Others

Vote below, and then state your own case for keeping or cutting New Girl.

1. Ange says:

I don’t think it’s a matter of keep or cut. I think at some point shows should just end and not have to be “cancelled”

2. Lauren says:

I would like to see it renewed for a final 10 or 13 episode season just to let us see some better resolution for the characters. I don’t want Nick and Jess to get together in the last episode this season and have that be the end. Maybe Nick will get to go on a book tour or they will move back to Seattle, something like that. And I really want to see Winston’s wedding because you know it will be insane.

• Nathan says:

Yes! This session has been the best. This last episode Ilost my voice laughing so hard.

• Azerty says:

I totally agree. One last finale season to wrap it up properly. Also agree with the very first comment, if a show has time to plan and schedule its end it should be a cancellation but just the end and that is something every show should have just for the respect of the viewer. There is nothing worst than a tv show without ending.

• kari dettorre says:

i agree!!!

3. R.O.B. says:

I think they should end it, but with this caveat: Create a spinoff where Winston marries Aly and they move away. Winston is the most consistently funny character on the show, and I would love to see them mature him a bit, maybe start a family and focus on topics other than sex. Maybe they move to North Carolina to be neighbors with Coach. Why not.

4. Max says:

Cut. When they started pushing Nick and Jess together again, I stopped watching. Can’t they just be best friends without forced sexual tension?

5. jimbo says:

I feel like the show has run its course.

6. Sara says:

I would really like a final season and see them all move out permanently from the loft. We have to see what weirdness a Winston wedding would entail!

7. kmw says:

Despite its struggles I think FOX should give it one more year and delay the season until Zooey Deschanel has her baby. I hate it when shows hide their actresses but I also don’t think Jess should have a baby on screen either. If they don’t delay the show but need to write around Zooey they could either bring Megan Fox back or find another character to fill her absence. FOX has renewed low rated shows before and it is in syndication so one more year would work

8. T.W.S.S. says:

I stopped watching New Girl early in season three (Schmidt cheating on CeCe wasn’t very entertaining). I returned in season five for Megan Fox and have since caught up on the missing seasons. Frankly, the show was at its best in the first two years. Nick and Jess together was never as funny as Nick and Jess trying to get together. They should end the show this year with Nick and Jess reuniting in the finale (a la Ross and Rachel, or Ted and Robin).

• Cas says:

This is me! I may watch this season yet. I hated the whole Schmidt cheating storyline. But I am glad it worked out as I love them together.

• S. says:

I bailed after the box of unpaid bills Nick had and the complete character assassination/lack of plot logic. So much of it made no sense (like the whole deal with him and Winston) and his and Jess’s reaction to the situation was just awful. Nick became an unredeemable person. Nothing they write for him after that can really get away from the fact that that he is profoundly unlikable. As for your examples, Ted and Robin was ridiculous and a lot of people haven’t been able to watch the series since because it taints the whole thing. Ross and Rachel was destiny. He was her lobster.

• T.W.S.S. says:

I binged HIMYM last fall, so wasn’t there for the initial outrage. The entire format for season nine is suspect, but I liked the show overall. New Girl clearly sees Nick and Jess as destiny, I just don’t want to actually watch them be together in a potential season seven.

• Jooshua says:

I never quit on the show but I also did not enjoy the Schmidt cheating storyline. It completely tainted the season focus on Jess and Nick’s relationship.

9. Eric says:

If it does have to end, I hope they have enough time to plan for a satisfying ending. When shows have run for six seasons plus, the fans deserve that. That being said, I hope it at least receives a shortened seventh season.

10. Brynna says:

I LOVE New Girl – but if they’re aiming to pair Nick and Jess by season’a end then it’s gotta find its natural end. Otherwise we’all just watch them fall apart again and the ending we deserve will be destroyed.

11. Jobless says:

ONE FINAL SEASON PLEASE!

12. Siobhan. says:

100% keep!!!! This is one of the best, most unique comedies out there. Need at least one more season to say a proper goodbye.

13. Kris says:

They better renew New Girl! They wasted Nick & Jess rebuild this season due to actor availability. Fans deserve another season.

14. ladysomething says:

I don’t get this amount of complaint. Don’t like the show? Don’t watch it. Let people who like it have the option of having it.
    I’m really hoping for one more season to have the ending it deserves.

• S. says:

Well if they give an option of keep or cut, that means they’re welcoming people who don’t want the show to continue to participate and comment. Besides, who said there aren’t people who watch a show and want it to get better but realize it has problems? They get to weigh in too. Personally I don’t like rooting for a show to end because there are a lot of people with bills to pay that work on these things. You’re basically rooting for a key grip or whoever to be out of a job and for their family to suffer the consequences of cranky “fans” (I’m lookin’ at you, my fellow Castle thread commenters). So in conclusion *phfew* complain all you want, just realize there’s a point where it goes beyond your feelings and involves someone’s pocketbook and mortgage.

• Hannah says:

Sure, but there are always going to be people who like a show but believe it has run its course. They don’t want to see something they like being dragged out into something crappy by the end (cough**HowIMetYourMother**cough).

15. Siobhan. says:

Your longest running comedy deserves a proper farewell season, so do the fans who have invested in it for 6 years.

16. Gern Blanston says:

I wouldn’t mind more episodes, but I wouldn’t be upset if it ended either. The show has run it’s course and while I still find it enjoyable I would hardly say that it is breaking any new ground with the characters or story.

17. Leor says:

PLEASE RENEW

18. Kimberly Mlejnek says:

One last season to wrap everything…..

19. Steve C. says:

Keep New Girl for one more short 13-22 episode season

20. Kate says:

I say keep. I feel like there’s definitely still stories to tell.

21. rarefied says:

I don’t want it to be cancelled, but if it’s true that they’ll be giving this season a “satisfactory” ending, I’m afraid it’ll get renewed and then it’ll be Babylon 5 Season 5 all over again.

22. I’d like to see New Girl get a short final season order.

23. Generally with shows that last past 4 or five seasons I prefer them to know further in advance that their series finale will be the series finale. So for that I say bring it back mid-season for 10-12 episodes.

24. Walkie says:

This season has been one of their worst. It’s just lost it’s fastball. And all of their lives are going in so many directions that it’s losing the plot. The joy was watching all of these people in a room interact.

25. Dez says:

The ratings thing is pretty bogus. It’s essentially even with B99, The Mick, and LMOE. B99 will return to similar ratings, and the othee two are inflated by getting at least a few post NFL airings on Sunday. Had NG aired after the Cowboys/Packers playoff instead of The Mick, it would probably be the highest rated non animated comedy.

That said, it feels like the cast is ready to move on. Give Zooey extra time off, come back in Jan for 13 episodes. Voila.

26. A. D. says:

If Megan Fox is back then renew…if not, then just end it.

• Adaniel says:

More like if Megan Fox is back, cancel it. She’s emotionless and boring, adds nothing to the cast. We need a final season to recover from the mess it was with her.

27. Elizabeth says:

This last half of the season has been hilarious. Seriously some of the funniest episodes since the first season. I would miss but also be ok if they ended it – as long as they get Nick and jess back together. Although Megan Fox has been a surprisingly funny addition to the show.

28. Lindsay says:

I would like a shortened Season 7. Get Nick and Jess together at the end of this season and give us some episodes of them happy together. End the final season with Winston and Aly’s wedding.

29. Cobra says:

She’s been there six years. She’s no longer a “new girl.”

30. Ebe says:

Keep!!!One last season to wrap it up.

31. Taylor Farrell says:

I am in love with this show! It has a fresh look on comedy and I don’t feel like this show has meet its end quite yet. If feel that all of the characters should find love and finish in a way that makes the show seem completed.

32. Denise Sharp says:

New Girl definitely needs more than 6 seasons. We record and keep every episode, and watch a couple every night. We have built a relationship with these characters, and love each one of them. There is more story to tell. Please give it more time!

33. Will says:

At this point…it should just…END.

34. Katie says:

It feels like the writers are starting to wrap things up for all the characters but I doubt they can do that in a satisfying way in the few episodes that are left this season. One more shortened season would be fantastic! It would also give Zoey Deschanel the chance to have her baby so the show won’t be limited by constantly trying to hide her baby bump. I also want to see a Winston and Aly wedding!

35. Calasade says:

Much as I enjoy New Girl, I think the show has run its course given (like the article pointed out) there’s nowhere else for the show to go.

36. Billy Bob Johnson says:

It had a good run. Time for Fox to move on.

37. lady says:

D. Shortened final season. I think the show has run it’s course, but I want the creators to be able to end it properly.

38. ncmacasl says:

I love the show, but nearly everyone has been married off and it is no longer a “roommate” show. Time for a Jess-Nick reunion, happy ending, wedding.

39. Hannah says:

New Girl is my happy place and I think the comedy in the later seasons has been absolutely hilarious. I would like one more season. I mean Winston planning a wedding. I have a whole bunch of potential storylines for that. And I want to see Nick and Jess happy <3

40. soph says:

i have a very boring life and this tv show brings me joy and excitement every week. definitely a keep!

41. soph says:

i have a very boring life and this tv show brings me joy and excitement every week! definitely a keep!

42. kari dettorre says:

I WANT TO SEE ALY AND WINSTONS WEDDING AND I WANT THE SHOW TO END WITH THEM ALL MOVING OUT IM VERY UPSET

43. Carolyn says:

Please bring back New Girl. I admit the last couple seasons were hard for me when before Nick and Jess were together I could hardly wait for the show to be on. I was actually a fan of the week they used to do! But since then I have only been watching it on DVR and not as excited. But this finale I felt excitement and laughed a lot! It does not seem done bore do I want it to be! Let’s see Cecelia and Schmidt have the baby! Ally and Winston get married and most importantly Nick and Jess back together and something more for them. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

44. Jessica says:

New girl should defiantly be kept. It his a hilarious, interesting show. Each episode keeps me wanting to watch more. I think the show improves more and more.

45. Meri says:

PLEASE renew! My group of friends have consistently watched this show through all the seasons and I think one final season 7 would be a much more satisfying than the half answers we got in “Five stars for beezus”. This has been my favorite show for years and it would be heartbreaking if we didn’t get to see these characters stories through to the end!

46. Charm says:

It makes me genuinely excited to turn on Fox on Tuesdays and watch! This has been such a great show and keeps getting better/funnier as we learn more and more about the characters. Please renew for another season!

47. Jasmine says:

Okay, here’s the deal. This show is NOT a simple comedy- it is a ROMANTIC COMEDY. A) You can’t take out the Nick/ Jess drama- that’s been there since the end of first season. They’re fated, and they HAVE to get together at the end of the show. That is the literal difference between a comedy or tragedy. Or have one of them die in a truly hilarious way- like they get hit by an ice cream truck right after professing their undying love. B) While definitely hilarious, it loses a lot of its hilarity without the offhand relationship drama that is sardonically overplayed in a 7th grade way. I LOVE THIS SHOW!! One more season!! You can’t taunt us with this end- give us a better one!! As Coach would say, “Man, that’s WASSUP!!” After all, what sort of father is Schmidt going to be?? And will Jess be at EVERY OB/GYN appointment?
    And does Jess get pregnant??

48. zahra says:

This season has to many open endings 1st cece ans schmidt are pregnant let us see the proces of the pregnancy and the baby, 2nd winston and aly’s wedding must happen, and last jess and nick relationship has just begun let nick have his book published, let there be another last season and then I would like a schmid and cece’s spinoff that would be amazing for me :)
    please make this happen for the new girl’s fans in belgium

49. Blu says:

New girl is not just some regular sitcom. Its different, and its hard to find a show like it these days

50. ashey says:

yeah, New Girl’s live ratings aren’t great this season. But I am one of the biggest new girl fans around and I have maybe watched 1 or 2 episodes live. Ever heard of netflix? that’s where i fell in love with this show, and that’s where I continue to watch and re-watch episodes over and over. Live ratings don’t mean anything anymore. anyway, now I will present my case as to why it is necessary for this show to have an ACTUAL ending. 5 Stars for Beezus wasn’t an ending, and whoever said it was is being short-sighted. Sure a lot of loose ends were tied up, but not ALL of them. Not even close. All that needs to happen is maybe a 10-12 episode season 7 (or a full one, if it were up to me, but I’m willing to compromise here FOX, okay?). A time-jump would be effective, so it could cover more ground. We need to see Schmece’s “caramel miracle”, and how Schmidt handles being a dad with his career growing. We need to see Winston and Aly’s goofy wedding, and them start a life of their own. We need to know how things turn out with Winston and his estranged father. We need to see Nick’s career as an author take off, and how successful he will inevitably become. We need to see how much he really has grown in the past three seasons to be a better man for Jess. We need to see their chemistry in full swing once again, and how they support each other in their careers and compromise on what they want in life. This show hasn’t really ended until all of the roommates move out of the loft for good.

• Christina says:

Completely agree with you here!! Netflix is where I watched the first 5 seasons. I watched the last season live. A lot of stuff could definitely be covered. And if there was a time jump would be great. I really wanna see schmeces baby! I wanna see the wedding and where Jess and Nick go with their career and relationship. There’s so much left to be seen!!