The Flash Supergirl Musical

Was The Flash's Crossover 'Duet' With Supergirl Musical Perfection?

The Flash and Supergirl sang their hearts out during Tuesday’s crossover — but was it music to your ears?

The Flash‘s “Duet” episode found Barry and Kara whammied by the Music Meister (guest star Darren Criss, Glee) into a coma-like state, during which they were transported into a movie musical. After getting over the awe of seeing Kara croon “Moon River,” Barry teamed up with his heroic pal to follow the script and convince lovers Iris and Flash Supergirl MusicalMon-El Millie and Tommy to tell their warring dads about their relationship. His pops was Malcolm Merlyn, now a shady nightclub owner, and hers were gangsters portrayed by Joe West and Martin Stein. The fatherly trio touchingly sang “More I Cannot Wish You” from Guys and Dolls to their kids, much to Barry’s delight.

Not to be left out of the fun, Winn and Cisco made an appearance as employees of the nightclub during a dance-heavy, group rendition of “Put a Little Love in Your Heart.” (John Barrowman’s Not Merlyn got in on the big number, too.)

The Flash Supergirl MusicalThe hour also featured two original tunes: the cheeky Barry/Kara duet “Super Friend,” written by Rachel Bloom (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) and Tom Root (Robot Chicken), as well as Barry’s romantic serenade to Iris, “Runnin’ Home to You,” penned by La La Land‘s Oscar-winning songwriting team, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. (After that episode-ending showstopper, how could Iris do anything but accept Barry’s re-proposal?)

The Flash – Music From The Special Episode: Duet is available on iTunes.

What did you think of the songs? Grade them via the polls below, then hit the comments to back up your picks!

1. Jennifer says:

Can someone PLEASE propose to me that way???
    Yes, it was cheesy. But the whole show was cute! And Jesse, Victor, and John can sing to me any time, any where. 😀😀😀

• I knew Jesse could sing because he had been in Rent. Barrowman of course, but I did not know Victor Garber could sing like that.

• Jennifer says:

He was in the Disney version of Annie. And played Jesus in Godspell

• Nessie says:

He sang previously in an episode of Legends!

• Marie58 says:

Do a YouTube search for Victor Garber on Eli Stone. He sang several great numbers on that show, including one with George Michael. :)

• BrightLight says:

Google “Victor Garber Johanna” and press play. You will not be disappointed. That was my first introduction to him many moons ago. #ImSoOld

• Butch says:

Victor Garber was Jesus in the original cast of Godspell and Anthony in the original Broadway Cast of Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street with Angela Lansbury. Unfortunately he was not in the version that was taped which was the roadshow a few years after Broadway.

• Edyn says:

I knew Jesse can sing because he sang at a lounge club on Earth 2. Victor sang on Legends and Grant, Melissa, and Darren were on Glee. Cisco and Wynn surprised me and so did Grant when he sang at the end. I did not know his voice could get high. I did not think he was actually singing because it was different from how he did it with Melissa. It did not sound like him, but it was an original song.

• Ann says:

Jeremy Jordan who plays Wynn is a Tony nominated stage actor, the original Jack Kelly in Newsies on Broadway. He was also in a movie musical called The Last Five Years with Anna Kendrick.

• Shaina says:

Plus Jeremy Jordan was on NBC’s Smash, in the movie Joyful Noise, and originated the role of Clyde in Bonnie & Clyde. I was super excited when he showed up as Winn on Supergirl. I missed watching him act when Smash was cancelled.

And that cutie Carlos Valdes was a stand-in during a Jersey Boys national tour and played Andrej in Once for a year on Broadway.

• Laura says:

He sang in an episode of DCs Legends when they went to Nazi Germany, that’s when I found out he was a phenomenal singer. Then last week he sang again The Banana Boat song LOL.

• Georgia Madman says:

Victor Garber was in “Hair” back in the day.

• E says:

He’s like a 4 time tony nominated Broadway legend.

• TvPeong says:

Any time any where

• AnnieM says:

My only complaint with this episode is that I was hoping for more songs! :-)

2. Did not like the wrap up. Why did you have to make the villain the good guy? Did not like that. Of course, this section will be filled with Mon El hate soon, so I will just sit back and watch

• Arielle Lowe says:

I loved the episode! My only critique is, for those that watch the Flash, I wonder if Barry got Joe’s blessing before proposing this time. Seeing how he didn’t get Joe’s blessing the first time he proposed. I know they were pressed for time in this episode, so I wonder if it will be addressed next week or not.

• Rob says:

I loved this episode but my one complaint is that I hate Mon El.

• Kacey Mcnatt says:

I don’t think Music Mistero was played as a Villain in this universe he was just a plot point to try to fix the Relationships the shows messed up. He came across like a Cupid teaching people lessons. I don’t really know what the point was of him using Barry’s and Supergirls powers though was it to teach Wally a lesson/ He seemed to be taunting Wally through that entire capture.

3. Billy meacham says:

So no Ryan gosling or emma stone cameos? Lol

4. Lysh says:

That was super(friends) cute. Not really on a level of BTVS (although that will always be hard to achieve) but the original songs were nice and the unoriginal ones were great choices. Sure, it was cheesy but I smiled the whole time. The last song was so sweet. The only thing was that there didn’t seem to be any real stakes; the Music Miester was on their side. Off to download the album!

• Jennifer says:

Me too! Had the biggest grin on my face the entire episode. I had actually never heard Grant Gustin sing before on “Glee” and he was completely ADORABLE in that beautiful song at the end. Also loved that the episode actually advanced the storyline of both “Supergirl” and “The Flash” (well, at least the romantic storylines).

5. madhatter360 says:

Good as an episode of television, all the songs were well performed, but as a musical episode it was just ok. Maybe I’m holding it to too high of a standard but “Once More with Feeling” and “My Musical’ set a high bar.

• Celina says:

Exactly! I wanted something like Once More With Feeling (THAT was perfection!), but this episode is hardly a musical. Just a few songs in the middle… It could’ve been great and they just wasted this. It was just cute… very disappointed.

6. tony kooper says:

Easily the worst episode ever for Flash.

7. Rjh6388 says:

I enjoyed it but I really wish they found a way to bring Alex to Central City. I find it hard to believe she wouldn’t have gone with them. I understand it was probably about scheduling but I feel she wouldn’t have left Kara’s side

• SAC says:

Agree with you so much Alex would not leave Alex side. Makes no sense.

• SAC says:

Sorry meant Alex would not leave Karas side.

• Lucy says:

I read somewhere that the episode was filmed at the same time as a Supergirl episode where Alex might feature heavily in. Unfortunately, I can’t find a source but maybe the lack of Alex here will make up for an episode where Alex has a storyline.

• Jim says:

Plus her singing was great in Grey’s Anatomy.

• SAC says:

Do you mean Alex (Chyler Leigh ) if so yes, beautiful voice. Just was at the Troubadour performing her debut single too with East of Eli.

• Cate says:

Very true, in the context of Supergirl, no way Alex wouldn’t have been with Kara. Indeed, Melissa was the only female singer among, what 7 guys singing? Still, an Alex heavy Supergirl episode will help make up for it!

I’m hoping they find a way to get Laura Benanti back next time they do a musical – she is a Broadway legend. The singing hologram?

8. TvPeong says:

Thank you, CW! Thank you!

9. Michelle says:

Is anyone else refreshing iTunes/Amazon/etc for a link? I want that soundtrack!

10. Liz says:

I wanted to like it but I found it embarrassing. I spent the episode cringing mainly.

• Jeeper says:

I actually fully agree. I’m a huge musical fan, in fact the oft maligned Grey’s Anatomy musical is one of my fave episodes of that show. I also was a Callie/Arizona fan back in the day, so that influences it of course. And I also watched Glee in all of the ridiculousness, good and bad. But this was just completely disappointing. I was wildly excited when it was announced, but the execution was just terrible. All the cast members who sang have amazing voices, it was in the writing, the song choices, the way too simple easy fix to two relationships that have some major problems going on. Just SO much potential and done poorly. Kudos to the cast though for powering through and trying to sell it the best they could.

• Verity says:

I thought it was cheesy.

11. Jordan says:

That was so much fun! I hope it becomes an annual tradition. I also felt like it was the funniest episode either show has done all year. The writing and comedic timing of the actors were just so on point.

12. SG says:

Hearing Jeremy Jordan sing, I missed Smash a bit.

• Lysh says:

I saw Newsies when in it was in theaters last month and got a crush on his voice. He’s so good. It was definitely great to hear him sing again!

• ninergrl6 says:

Same, although I’ve always had a crush on his voice. I saw him in West Side Story last year, and I never want anyone else to play Tony again ever. Have you heard the Bonnie and Clyde Broadway cast album? Jeremy and Laura Osnes are to die for, no pun intended.

• CC says:

Yes! Hearing Jeremy Jordan sing was the highlight for me! I hated his character on Smash but always loved his voice.

13. Carlos Alvarez Jr says:

As a big fan of musicals and Glee being one of my favorite tv shows. I loved loved loved this episode Darren,Grant and Melissa reunited felt like an episode of Glee. Loved hearing Grant and Melissa sing once again. Great episode

14. Ted Ilgenfritz says:

The running home song was very very good…..

15. Elizabeth says:

I loved this episode. Although now I am having Glee and Smash withdrawals again.

16. Jami says:

I enjoyed it. Melissa has a great voice loved Moon River. I loved Mon-El no hate here . The episode was fun. Grant, is so talented as ids Melissa. Jeremy Jordan loved hearing him sing. Music Meister bring him back on SG.

17. V.J. says:

That was great!! Can’t remember the last time I felt so much joy and had so much fun watching a television episode.

18. jrex says:

Episode was near perfection!

19. George H. says:

If I wanted to watch musicals, I’d watch Grease, West Side Story, or even La La Land (which I love). These musical tv show gimmicks are getting old fast.

20. DG says:

Man, I loved it! Cheese and all! Just plain loving fun!

21. Ava says:

I enjoyed it so much! Left me wanting more! And still advanced the story for both shows!

22. Phun says:

AWESOME! AWESOME! And Oh yeah, AWESOME! And a big Wow at John Barrowman! I did not know he could sing! Loved the PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN YOUR HEART especially with all of the hate in the world and the fandom.

23. Turon X says:

I really like both The Flash and Supergirl as tv shows, but this episode (except for Barry and Iris and Kara and Mon-El coming back together) did nothing for me. The singing and the songs were just so-so. I wish they had thought of some other creative way to deal with the couples’ romantic issues. I like that they were shooting for something light and fun, but I think this missed the mark. No biggie, I’m still a fan of both shows.

24. Alex.A says:

This was a great episode to get away from all the drama but actually fix 2 broken relations in the process. I enjoyed every minute of this musical episode!

25. jen ross says:

that was the best episode yet. they all sounded soo good. i want another musical crossover to happen

26. Just like the first time Barry Allen guested on Supergirl, having Kara show up here on The Flash made me think, *THERE* is the One True Pairing. :)

But I may be alone in that. My favorite moment that was funny just for its own sake was Caitlin’s reaction to J’onn’s true form.

Anyway … loved the episode. Kinda want to see Gustin and Benoist do a full-out remake of some old movie now with the vintage clothes and everything … they both pull off the Old Hollywood look pretty well, at least to my eyes.

27. Dominique says:

okay now THIS was such a fun and wonderful episode! it had just the right balance and i loved all the songs! i wish jeremy jordan had been given more to sing because holy buckets his voice was by far the best, but everybody else was so great as well.
    my favorites were “put a little love in your heart” and “more i cannot wish you”.
    it was a little weird that mon-el played tommy aka malcolms son, but i guess anything’s possible in the music-world.

28. Lynn says:

I was hoping to like this episode but my dislike of this season continues. The songs were just ok and then the whole thing where the villain is suddenly on their side the entire time? It just seemed like there were no stakes the entire time and it was going nowhere. It also made last weeks ending a waste and obviously done just so they could get back together this episode. Don’t get me wrong, the last song was the best one and I liked it but still the whole thing was just so cheesy and obvious.

29. Teresa says:

Loved this episode! I had high expectations and this episode surpassed them. It was a very funny episode too. My only complaint (not really a complaint) was that Darren Criss was not featured as much as I thought he would.
    Side note: This episode made me even more excited for the OUAT musical. Does anyone know when that episode is suppose to air?

30. safistikaytdlayd says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS EPISODE!!! I never knew there were so many talented singers on both shows!!! It was so sweet I think I have a toothache!!!(ROTFLMBO) “Superfriends”was adorable, especially with the Superman joke!!! Running home to you was BEAUTIFUL!!!It had me tearing up a little bit! I’m glad WESTALLEN are back on track and glad it didn’t take a few episodes. I was hoping for another proposal and THIS did NOT disappoint!!! Can’t wait to download the songs!!!

31. revan86 says:

Talk about jumping the shark and then going to the desert to nuke the fridge. Granted, I hate musicals but seriously if you really feel the need to do such a travesty of an episode, do it earlier in the season.

32. Running HOme to You…Is a WOWZIER!! Does anyone know how i can add to my iTunes library because ITunes ain’t got that song!!!! :-(

33. Ws says:

The musical parts were fun.. the goofy storyline was not so much… probably more songs.. less bad film parody.

34. Joey Padron says:

Everyone did great singing and performing in musical episode. Sweet way Barry proposed to Iris again. Glad Music Meister help taught them both a lesson. Hope Darren comes back to The Flash or Supergirl next season.

35. Kat says:

Mon-El being Tommy was bittersweet but good twist. Loved the couples forgiving & getting back together.

I <3 the musical.

36. ALM says:

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode! I have always loved John Barrowman’s voice, and wow did he show those powerful pipes! My only very slight disappointments were so little singing by Darren Criss, as I love his voice too, and Melissa’s singing. I enjoyed her songs, but she just didn’t seem as good as I have heard her in the past. Still wonderful though. My greatest surprise was Jeremy. I listened to his singing on Youtube before the episode, but he was fantastic! The only downside of that for me is that as much as I love him as Winn, I now see that he can play commanding characters so well. While I like Kara with Mon-el, it might should be Kara and Winn after all.

• ninergrl6 says:

You should’ve seen Jeremy in Newsies. His character is the exact opposite of Winn and he sounded SO FREAKIN GOOD, even better than the Broadway cast album. Hopefully they’ll release it on DVD since it was such a hit in movie theaters.

• Ann says:

Darren Criss was the weakest link in this episode, but we all knew that he would be the weakest going into this episode right? He only got the role as a gimmick. That part should have gone to someone a little older and who could actually sing.

• Jennifer says:

Please tell me you are kidding?!?! Darren Criss did NOT get this as a “gimmick.” You do know he was on Glee, right???
        That being said, I would have like to see NPH as the Music Meister. That would have been fun.

37. Olive says:

I thought there would be more songs. I kept waiting for the singing to start again. But I’m happy Barry got some clarity and I’ll always enjoy watching anything Chris Wood shows up in.

38. Red Snapper says:

I thought it was good and super cute but not quite at the level of ‘Once More With Feeling’. I was excited for the episode because I knew that they have some great voices in their casts and they all did a great job. I was bummed that there wasn’t more singing though. I also thought that Chris Wood would be singing since I thought that I had read that he was a musical theater major so I was a bit disappointed. I’m happy that the Kara/Mon-El and Barry/Iris breakups have been resolved already. Also, it was super weird to see Iris and Mon-El together.

39. kath says:

I tried to watch it four times and each time ended up changing the channel,
    The musical numbers were okay but WTH was that with a villain whose entire purpose was to put two couples together, one I’m meh about (Barry and Iris) and one that I loathe (Kara/Mon El). Zzzzzzzz
    Where are all the people who complained that Olicity must die because romance has no place on a superhero show? Can you do something about this?

Once again, it’s all about the men on Andrew Kreisburg’s show. Not only did Victor Garber and John Barrowman come over from LoT, Chyler Leight and Candice Patton, both of whom have lovely voices, didn’t get to sing while the male characters did. Ugh at the pervasive misogyny.

• ndixit says:

No it really isn’t. Garber and Barrowman are very well known musical talents. They are more than just people with nice voices. Chyler and Candice in no way compare to their talents. It has nothing to do with misogyny.

• Sasha says:

Trust me, I prefer no romance in any superhero show. None in all four of them please!

• Mo says:

Me three when it comes to romances on these shows. LoT is best this season because it keeps its pairing where they should be as a very small filler. Well that & it has the best writing of all the shows.
      Disagree about Candice & Chyler. This was about talent not misogyny.

• All the people that sang outside of Flash/Supergirl are sizeable, recognizable, laudable, notable and award nominated talents from Broadway and the West End. You have that at your fingertips, you use it!

• kalli says:

And nobody has gone ‘I didn’t know x could sing’ on this very page, and when you can show me Carlos Valdes’ awards and aaaaaaaaaaanyone who isn’t a Klaine stan lauding Darren Criss, then maybe I’ll consider disagreeing with OP. Fact is, they roped in male voices from the other shows rather than use the female voices they had access to, who were actually in the episode and/or had valid plot reasons to be there.
        Justifying it doesn’t make it not misogynistic, it just highlights how insidious misogyny and male-preference is.

• Tara says:

Chris Wood sings but he didn’t. Keiynan Lonsdale also sings but he didn’t.

40. Doug says:

This was a waste of an episode.Just horrible. Its like Batman and Wonder Woman broke out in song and dance in the middle of Dawn of Justice! I wanted to watch the Flash, not Glee! Terrible and disappointing!

• Isabella says:

I could not agree with you more! Totally and utterly ridiculous episode.

• Cassie James says:

I guess everyone had their own opinion. I personally found it epic!!

• 134sc says:

See you have to know what your watching and set expectations accordingly. It was a musical. It was going to be corny and cheesy. If you cant accept that, then ya, your probably going to hate it.

For myself, I enjoyed it for wat it is. It was a nice break from all the heavy emotion of this season and the musical talent on these shows is off the charts.

Now im ready to get back to regular Flash

41. H.H. says:

Shows that are not musicals should stop this musical episode thing. Musicals are annoying.

42. Netty says:

This was an ok episode..very cheesy & pointless of course.

43. BigRed19 says:

I really loved Barry’s song, “Running Home to You” great lyrics full of meaning. Wonderful finale to a much needed light hearted episode after so many dark one.

44. Mel says:

I actually thought that episode was a bit boring. Was expecting more actual great singing from the two mains. Also quite sad we didn’t get more of the female character get a spot in that episode.

45. I’m just going to put it out there because it’s a thought I’ve had for awhile now, wouldn’t Supergirl and Flash make the cutest couple????

• AnnieM says:

I like them as friends very much. But once both of their shows end, I would love to see GG & MB star in a sitcom together.

46. mike says:

At least the songs weren’t as god awful as the Buffy musical. Every single one of those were just terrible. The very epitome of a filler episode.

• Brigid says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• Brigid says:

I laughed in my first response because your post was so ridiculous, I just assumed you were off your meds. Filler episode?!?!?!?!?! SMH

• Fitzsimmons says:

That’s a funny joke. You know that Joss Whedon spent time learning how to write music and wrote all of the songs himself whilst juggling two shows at the same time? I’d like to have seen the Flash execs doing that, but you know, they just paid other people to write the music.

Also if any musical episode was a filler episode, it was this one. Creating stupid contrived relationship drama that wasn’t needed just so they can use it in the musical episode and save the day with the power of love. Yawn. Just because you can do a musical episode, doesn’t mean you should, as this episode proves. By the way, OMWF had character moments and developed the overall plots, unlike this episode. So, which one is the filler again?

This episode was never going to come close to besting Once More With Feeling.

• Brian says:

Amen to that comment. That episode wasn’t even close to ‘Once More With Feeling’. Whedon actually worked his rear off for a long time on that episode. Everyone involved in the show worked hard on that and it had everything from memorable songs for all of the main cast Sarah, James, Anthony, and Nicholas (plus standouts from Emma Caufield and Amber Benson) to fantastic choreography. Even the folks behind the Whedon showed up, Marti Noxon had a good one, and no one will ever forget David Fury’s ‘They Got the Mustard Out!’ This episode had none of the brilliance of that episode. Whedon got memorable performances from everyone in his cast, except of course Allyson Hannigan. Here we only got one big original number from Gustin, a cover for Melissa, and a waste of the talent of Jeremy, John, and Carlos. You had Victor Garber and Jesse Martin together and that fluff is all you gave those Broadway voices to handle? Bleh. This episode was a real bummer but then again we’re talking about the creative minds that have only put out one good season in three on the air. This show is really failing the Third Season which is suppose to be a strong one to get the network and the fans behind you going forward. So far the trend downhill is just picking up and shows no sign of let up. This episode could have and should have been so much more. ‘Once More’ was a musical from start to finish, this was a bad ‘Flash’ episode with songs filtered in and and an undeserved final act. Where was the work from the people behind the scene? Why did they tout this episode so much? if they were proud of this they should feel ashamed. ‘Running Home to You’ wasn’t even written by the actual writers or creators, they farmed out the great love ballad?!? Sorry, I’ll take Amber Benson’s beautiful voice and love song to Willow and her, where was this hiding, performance of ‘Under Your Spell’ over that weak sauce any day of the week.

‘Once More, With Feeling’ is the king, this wasn’t even a memorable servant.

47. Gordon Rick says:

Not a singer, Not a fan of musicals. But I really liked the show if nothing more that to resolve the Barry – Iris and Kara – Mon-el conflicts. Both Iris and Kara were ticking me off with the “I am pissed at my future mate.” crap. I really liked the super friends song and the running home to you song. Cheesy or not I liked it.

48. rayme says:

Big night for music episodes. Teachers finale was great fun. Catch it if you can.

49. Brigid says:

What a fun episode! I love musicals and this did not disappoint. The singing was phenomenal and Barry at the end, OMG, so touching and the most beautiful proposal I’ve ever seen. My favorite line was when Milly’s dads asked Barry if he had a problem with them being a couple and he says “I love musicals”. I literally laughed out loud! Loved it!!!

50. Elle says:

It was toooooo short. I wanted the musical to go on longer. Great 40 minutes (hour hows are never an hour). It’s nice to see so much talent. Bring back more musicals. Miss the days of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire.