DWTS Season 24

Dancing With the Stars Season 24: Who Soared (or Stumbled) in the Premiere?

How’s this for a major TV plot twist: Dancing With the Stars‘ Season 24 premiere was so strong, not even Simone Biles seems like a lock for the Mirrorball anymore. (Gasp!)

ABC’s reality competition staple returned on Monday night, and although the two-hour debut featured a handful of duds (A for effort, Mr. T!), a staggering number of this season’s 12 couples showcased enough ballroom potential to land in the finale two months from now.

Normani Kordei? Handled a breakneck quickstep like it was nothing. Nick Viall? Much better at learning choreography than he is at finding love on TV. Charo? Slightly insane, but a performance powerhouse nonetheless.

Before you tell us who got your attention on Monday night, let’s break down a few of the evening’s highlights.

BEST OF THE NIGHT
Simone Biles and pro Sasha Farber (Tango) — Although she was given a run for her money during the premiere (particularly by football player Rashad Jennings), Biles still brought the evening’s strongest performance — a masterful combination of elegance, strength and sensuality. By no means is she a shoe-in for the Season 24 championship; in Monday’s premiere alone, at least five other couples proved they’re worthy competitors for the title. But Biles reinforced with this tango that she has the agility, power and innate understanding of choreography that she’ll need to go the distance. Judges’ Score: 32/40

MOST PLEASANT SURPRISE
David Ross and pro Lindsay Arnold (Quickstep) — Well, don’t I feel silly. Although my Season 24 odds gallery predicted that Ross was a lock for early elimination, it seems the former MLB catcher will be around much longer than I gave him credit for, after turning in a quickstep that was highly energetic and massively fun to watch. Given that he’s paired with Arnold, who has a knack for transforming athletes into ballroom pros, Ross may just be one to watch. Judges’ Score: 28/40

MOST DISAPPOINTING
Bonner Bolton and pro Sharna Burgess (Cha-Cha) — To be clear, Bolton and Burgess probably have the most natural, intense chemistry of any Season 24 pair. (I can’t be the only one who thought they kissed at the end of their routine, right?) But I expected the professional bull rider to be a bit more athletic, and perhaps even graceful, in his movements; instead, he spent much of the routine trying to keep up with his partner, even when the choreography was more honky-tonk than Latin ballroom. Judges’ Score: 22/40

WORST OF THE NIGHT
Chris Kattan and pro Witney Carson (Cha-Cha) — I would have bet good money that Kattan would dance a Night at the Roxbury-themed routine at some point this season — and the producers were wise to make that happen in Week One, given that Kattan doesn’t seem long for this competition. But perhaps even more awkward than the comedian’s choppy movements on the dance floor was his brutal post-performance interview with Erin Andrews. Relax, dude! The audience has nothing against you! Judges’ Score: 17/40

With that, I turn it over to you. Who impressed you the most — or failed to impress you at all — during Dancing‘s season premiere? Tell us in the comments!

1. Margaret says:

David & Lindsay just made me so happy! He’s got to be the only former backup catcher who has over 300,000 instagram followers, haha! I was totally surprised, in the best possible way. Rashad and Emma too, so happy Emma has a partner that she can challenge with choreography.

• Rafael says:

It’s a good idea to tryout baseball players in this reality show, not all the time football, basketball and all olympic athletes!

• LaDonna says:

Current, known players will never be on this show. The season doesn’t end until October when they are already well into the fall season of DWTS and they are already in spring training for the new season. Unfortunately, baseball isn’t like football where the players only play once a week. In baseball, they have games 5 or 6 nights a week, so I can’t see how that kind of schedule would work and still allow them to compete on the show.

2. Angela says:

Simone, Rashad, and Normani were definitely the highlights of the night for me. Nancy Kerrigan could be a good one to watch as well.
    I do think that Bonner could improve with time-I definitely like the chemistry between him and Sharna.

3. fernando933 says:

Let’s go Ericka Jayne 👏🏾

4. Mommaknowsbest says:

Was pleasantly surprised with Heather Morris and Maks C. – looking forward to seeing more of their routines.

• Geena says:

I believe I read somewhere that she’s a professional dancer. Don’t think it’s quite fair

• Wordsmith says:

Personally, I don’t resent an unbalanced field. As long as the dance is good, I’m happy.

• Rafael says:

Heather may not be as great Amber Riley.

• dude says:

She’s an actress who used to be a dancer. They’re never going to have a completely balanced field unless it’s one person competing against 12 of their clones, sometimes they need to bring in some locks to keep things interesting.

• dan says:

Actually, she is a dancer who became an actress. She was a back-up dancer on tours and in videos, then she got a gig on Glee as a cheerleader/dancer which became an acting part when she was put on contract. Her training isn’t in ballroom so it’ll be interesting to see how she adapts. I only saw a few dances on night one and I thought Heather was very good, but not great. I also thought Simone Biles was very good, however she was too stiff and appeared nervous (which will ease up as time goes by).

• If you want fairness, look at previous winners. Nicole was the only winner. It’s more likely to be an athlete.

5. Penny says:

David Ross was everything I was hoping he would be! As a life long Cubbie’s fan, I was going to vote for him anyway, but he actually made it easy to give him my votes. Bonner and Sharna were super depressing, I expected so much more from them to be honest. And I tried flipping the channel during Kattan’s post interview, super awkward!

6. Anita says:

I’m suprise at Bonners performance too thought he would do much better but he has a chance to redeem himself. Remember Redfoo came out with a 6,5,5,6 and then the next week got 8,7,8,8 so who’s say Bonner can’t do that as well. I have faith in him but Rashad, Simone, and Normani was my favs tonight

• M M Rowe says:

14 months ago Bonner was paralyzed from a broken neck and given minuscule chance of ever walking again. Are you still disappointed he didn’t show himself to be more athletic and even graceful?

7. Jason says:

Go Normani and Val!

8. Lola says:

Great start to the season. I think the contestants improve with every season. And I also got to say Poor Keo. He’s the male dancer along with Tony that gets done dirty every season. His celeb contestants are mostly horrible and now he’s paired with a kook. I was shaking my head.

9. Sony says:

Thought I saw Bonner Bolton do a Trump underwear grope of Sharna Burgess while the camera was panning between numbers. She quickly took his hand in hers and removed it. Very awkward

• Susan says:

Saw the same thing!!! My husband noticed it at first…I didn’t believe him…but after rewinding, it was totally true! Was wondering if other people noticed…..

• Annie says:

You did! I saw it too and even rewound a couple times to make sure I really did see what I thought I saw. LOL

10. Heather Morris killed it they should have gotten 10s

11. Janet says:

Charo was embarrassing to watch. Her screaming constantly while the judges spoke was over the top.

• C says:

Heavens yes. Her dancing wasn’t the worst but her shtick was horrid. I hope she goes fast and she wasn’t the only one that should quit trying so hard in the bio pieces. Those pieces are always too much but this season they were really annoying and irrelevant. I’m going back to taping the show and fast forwarding through them.

12. Diane says:

Heather Morris should be in the top 4. Ballroom dancing is different from what she did before and her lines were just so lovely too.

13. Cubs Fan says:

Go Ross Go!! Go Ross Go!! Hey Chicago what do you say, Grandpa Ross is going to win today!!!

14. Danny Brown says:

I will feel better once Charo and that ego-driven “Real Housewives” person are booted. Both an embarrassment. Good to see Heather from “Glee” on the show. Great poise and ability. I hope she makes it to the end.

15. Brownie says:

I enjoyed Bonner and Sharna’s dance and hope that this is finally the season that Queen Sharna will take home her first mirrorball trophy (should’ve been last season with James *sigh*). Plus they have some smoking hot chemistry!

16. Ryleigh says:

The winner will be Simone Biles because who she is. I think she did great. Heather Morris is professional dancer but that not mean she has ballroom experience, DWTS is going to be a real test for her.

17. Leesa says:

Finally my favorite show is back. I’m liking Heather , David, and Rashad. Chris won’t be on the show for too long he’s just an awful dancer, but I loved to see him when he was on SNL. Miss hot Latina Charo can move really well for being elderly. Charro’s tantrum was just an act, she’s having fun and I admire her bravery to compete against younger and better dancers!! Erikas dance was a little too trashy, but she danced good and her pro partner is so gorgeous. Looking forward to next weeks dances.

18. Jawna says:

Bye bye Erika Jayne!!!! You dont have to go home but you gotta get the heck on up from dancing with REAL stars!!!! #Hahuduwin

19. Anita Francisco says:

The audience scoring should not count for half of the score. Most do not know what they are looking for and only go by personality. Also the contestants should be more evenly matched by ability.