The Originals Season 4 Premiere

Ratings: Originals Returns Steady vs. May Finale, NCAA Tourney Tops Night

The CW’s The Originals opened Season 4 on Friday night with 1.05 million total viewers — its largest audience since the middle of Season 3 — and a 0.3 demo rating (per finals).

For comparison’s sake, its previous premiere — leading out of Vampire Diaries on a Thursday in October 2015 — drew 890K and a 0.4, while its May 2016 finale did 850K/0.3 on a Friday.

TVD, in its last regularly scheduling airing in the Friday leadoff slot, did 1.14 mil/0.4.

Leading out of The Originals, Reign (760K/0.2) was flat in the demo.

Over on ABC, Last Man Standing (6.2 mil/1.0) and Dr. Ken (4.4 mil/0.8) were steady, with the former commanding Friday’s largest audience.

NBC’s Grimm (3.96 mil/0.8) ticked up, while Fox’s Sleepy Hollow (1.81 mil/0.4) was steady (leading out of yet another Rosewood rerun).

CBS’ NCAA tourney coverage averaged 5.1 mil and a 1.6, leading the night in the demo.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Liz says:

Hopefully The Originals get that renewal, even if it’s only for a final season. The season is off to pretty solid start and I can’t wait to see the connections with TVD characters down the line.

2. Gift says:

seriously, I’m hoping the originals get a renewal nd more more seasons. S4 returned in a pretty strong way nd I really don’t want to bit them farewell anytime soon. if they keep these up, this show will get a much larger audience. I’m already making my friends watch nd they love it.

3. Lola says:

Wow. That’s actually pretty decent for TO. I’m thrilled.

4. fernando933 says:

I’m sure TO will get renew, fridays this fall will be Jane the virgin & Crazy ex then midsession Jane & TO

5. Erick Voshel says:

Glad to see the Originals did so well. Hopefully, it will get renewed for a fifth season and more seasons after that.

6. Carla Krae says:

Grimm last week was 4.24 mil/0.8. So it was steady in demo and down in total viewers this week.

7. maty says:

I don’t know why the originals is being slept on !!!

8. Sharon says:

Glad to see TO did well. The season looks good so far. Definitely want this show renewed.

9. All i can hope is that if TO isnt doing the numbers, they give it a final season, ala Reign to wrap things up. Reign’s numbers are awful.

10. Cassandra says:

The Originals is Awesome just like The Vampire Diaries.. They are going 2 B around 4 awhile😉

11. Cassandra says:

I Love Love Reign!! I do also Hope they stick around😌

12. Ally Oop says:

The Originals is my favourite CW show right now and its my 7th favourite overall which is saying something because coming in 7th after Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, This is Us, Vikings, Call the Midwife and Poldark is nothing to sneeze at. If it doesn’t get one more season I will be one mad woman.

13. Missy says:

So happy that Its Back!!!! The Originals is such a good show, and I don’t get why it’s not more popular. Now that TVD is gone ): , I’m really counting on it getting bigger and even better!!!!

14. Al says:

The Originals returning slightly higher is good. Perhaps some people (that aren’t regular TO watchers) who are going through TVD withdrawal is jumping over to TO for their fix now?

Yikes! It just gets worse & worse for Sleepy Hollow. It’s gonna take a miracle or a massive Hail Mary to get a a Season 5 at this point. As a Sleepyhead it’s not so surprising but still disappointed

15. declan says:

why do they only take the the u.s.a. guys vote on telly. I am from Ireland and we love the Originals to bits over here. They should count the world in cos i play games and most i talk to say they love the show to..If they get rid of the Originals i will never look at another show on CW again..Tell me even tho i am in Ireland and look at it on CW online does that still count???

16. Melissa says:

How do they calculate rating numbers? Is it only based on live viewers, or also DVR and online views? I love TO and watched it on Friday, but not live, so am I counted in these ratings? I hate commercials and can’t stand sitting through them (millennial attention span) and I don’t know many people who watch live TV (outside of sports), so is there a huge group not being accounted for?

17. best says:

I love this movie and I don’t want it to end in season 4

18. Debbie says:

Please don’t get rid of the originals the only vampire show left to watch they have a lot of shows should not be renewed and also blind spot another great show and the blacklist redemption I’m sure I’m not the only person to say this thank goodness we get to keep blacklist! You all need to reconsider the renewals

19. Scarlett says:

I actually think TO is better than TVD. Much more stores and lines that can play out.